Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

RZA Encryption posted:

Don't you think it would be kind of a dick move to return/exchange your girlfriend's present to you?

I guess that must depend on the people involved. I would prefer that the recipient of a gift from me be completely happy and will gladly just give them a receipt so they can exchange it. I can get pretty specific with the model/brand of thing that I want, so I understand if they feel the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

BrownieVK posted:

Anyone know how long this deal is going? Seriously thinking about finally grabbing one to replace my poor beat to death Pebble.

Amazon also has it for $149. I don't think the deal is going away, the 360 is just getting older.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Reverse Centaur posted:

can't believe how boring that Fossil is.
Does Fossil have any watches that aren't boring? That isn't a name I'd expect to be pushing the envelope.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

bull3964 posted:

It's a curiosity and it's obvious that google is going to add some sound support to wear. I just can't see where it will be a use to me. I keep my phone purely on vibrate most of the time and that's in my pocket. I don't want my wrist dinging and I have no interest in carrying out phone conversations from my wrist for any purpose other than pretending I'm a secret agent every once and awhile. NFC is a more useful add as far as I'm concerned, but I doubt we'll see watches with it until next spring and who knows when google is going to implement it.
I could see sound being good for fitness stuff, timers, & things like that. Basically a buzzer/chime function.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Reverse Centaur posted:

Such a weird reason to not get it if you like everything about it otherwise. I haven't used a smartwatch that wasn't too dark in the sun and too bright at night, light sensor or not.

I use an app to fix that on my phone (that is, make the brightness correct in the dark and sunlight). Can you run an app like that on an android watch?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

LastInLine posted:

How would it work without a light sensor?

I meant, if Reverse Centaur thought that watches even with a light sensor weren't matching his brightness expectations, perhaps he could try an app to fix that. Because it should be entirely possible to have auto-brightness work well (assuming a light sensor).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Ah, gotcha.

I have to say from my experience that with a light sensor there isn't a need for an app or anything to manage it. It's never been too bright or too dark (I use Ambient Display if that matters). Like AlexDeGruven, I'd consider a lack of a light sensor to be a dealbreaker on something like a watch.

Seems like a watch without a sensor would be really bad for the battery, unreadable in bright light, or way too bright at night. Probably all three.