Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Alan_Shore posted:

OK, one last question about the old Moto 360 : when I flick my wrist, the screen comes on, regardless of whether I've turned wrist motions on or off in the Settings menu. That's not right, is it?
For some reason this setting doesn't exist on the watch but if you go into the Android Wear app on your phone), cog at the top, your device, there's an option named "Tilt to wake screen" which is what you are looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JayKay posted:

Is there anyway to bypass the "Place on Charger" screen when resetting/setting up a 360?
I had this exact problem yesterday!

Don Lapre posted:

Swipe left
This is what I found online and it doesn't work, you simply cannot swipe that screen away.

You can, however, simple open Android Wear and start the pairing process and the phone will see it as normal. Once you confirm the pairing that screen will disappear.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Desk Lamp posted:

That sounds more like the definition of flounder if anything.
Which, appropriately enough, is the code/board name of the Nexus 9.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It'll boot by itself once it has enough power if you just leave it on the charger. Should only take a few minutes though, and it normally ships on ~50% so it might be a bad unit.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Don't Lol me posted:

Damnit, I wanted a black one with a black mesh strap. Neither site offer those options.
Curse you Huawei and your "October release dates"
Does a black mesh version exist anywhere?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Freezer posted:

Any thread-recommended must have apps / faces for it?
I use Minimal & Elegant and Pujie Black on mine, both look great on a round watch and the former even makes novel use of the flat tyre.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Require More Fire posted:

Is there any way to stop a Wear watch from vibrating for alarms on the phone? Basically, I'm using my phone as my alarm now but this is causing my watch to vibrate in the morning when the alarm goes off, which I don't want. I'm dealing with it now by just turning off BT before I go to sleep but it would be swell if I could make the watch only go off for alarms that I set ON the watch.
This is not a function of Android Wear but of the specific alarm app that you are using. I'm going to guess it's the default Google one since that is the usual offender, The solution is to use a different alarm app.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Require More Fire posted:

Yeah, I use the stock Google clock app. Good job, Googs.
It is especially stupid given that they added the option to have alarms fade in. What I have now is my phone slowly building up the alarm noise which is perfect but my watch is going MRRRP MRRRP MRRRP ten times as loud from the start.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I've always wondered why Timely didn't have Wear integration and now I'm glad it doesn't.
Well there is absolutely no reason why it couldn't be toggleable from the app or only vibrate once the alarm is at full volume or basically any other behaviour you could desire. It makes sense for alarm-on-watch to be a thing, it just doesn't make sense for it to behave how Google made their clock app behave.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I wish that I had a modicum of skill at imagemaking just so I could design a watchface that looks good AND actively accounts for the shape of the screen rather than just pretending it's round and having it look like a mistake.
I agree with all of this post. The best one I've found is Minimal & Elegant so I generally run with that. I also sometimes use Pujie Black set up such that there are no elements cut off, if I want my watch to look a little more traditional for some occasion.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do we know if the 360 Sport has the same awful-looking aliased ambient mode as the 360 v2? I know the screen tech is slightly different but not sure if that's just a backlight change or what. This is the reason I didn't buy a 360 v2 so I'm interested in the Sport if it resolves that issue.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shai-Hulud posted:

My 2015 Moto 360 just got bumped to 6.0.1. Is there anything new and exciting about marshmallow? I mean, I can now disconnect my watch from a phone without wiping it and the permissions handling is more detailed but that seems so be pretty much it.
There are new gestures for "select" and "back" so you can look even more ridiculous in public.

Still waiting for it to show up on my OG 360 though the battery life is really bad on it now, I can't use ambient at all and today it died after six hours for some reason. Can't wait for the 360 v3 or whatever else shows up this year.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

If your phone and watch are on the same WiFi network then Bluetooth isn't used.
This is not right, you have it all backwards. Wi-Fi on a Wear device is only activated if your watch leaves Bluetooth range. It will search for any Wi-Fi network that you have previously connected to on your phone (passwords are synced from your phone and stored) and, if it finds one, connect to it. It then connects to your phone via the cloud. The phone doesn't have to be on the same network, or even on Wi-Fi at all, as long as it has some kind of connection to Google's server it'll work.

LastInLine posted:

Either way it's obvious Ambient Mode's aliasing and limitations, which I think turned off Tunga to the device, has been changed and likely for the better. It's certainly not jaggy anymore though I have yet to experiment to see if it can do colors.
Yeah I've read about this on G+ and Reddit, they seem to have fixed it. It can also do colours but the stock Moto watchfaces do not use it.

I'd buy one but the price is still the same as it was at release so I think at this point I'd rather just wait for the various new devices this summer. Looking forward to seeing what gets made with that new Qualcomm chip.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Android Wear - Squares and circles for really poor people and really rich people

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The little retaining loop on my OG 360 band has finally broken. I've been expecting this for months now as it was always a bit lovely, the inside layer of leather fell off a long time ago and the single stitch making it into a loop was getting looser and looser.

Motorola don't sell replacement bands in the UK so I appear to be entirely hosed. Currently using an elastic band which looks about as good as you'd imagine.

Edit: There are some cheap-looking bands on Amazon with mixed reviews so maybe I'll try one of those. Just need to hold out for a nice Snapdragon Wear 2100 powered Moto 360 2016.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 6, 2016

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

uPen posted:

Almost any 22 mm band that uses spring bars will work, just buy something you like rather than getting ripped off by motorola.
As far as I'm aware bands have to have the central cutout to fit the OG 360.

Also I literally cannot get ripped off by Motorola.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fixed with a bit of tape, it's on the inside of the strap so it doesn't show up, it's actually a better fit than before it fell apart so that'll do fine for a few months until some nice third gen watches show up.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only time I remember that my 360 has a flat tyre is when I read this thread and everyone who doesn't have a 360 complains about it. Though I do use a watchface with a black background at the bottom. It looks a lot more obvious if you use a colour.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

calandryll posted:

Speaking of watch faces. I'm using the default dials on my 360 2nd gen. Suggestions on a new watch face?
Minimal & Elegant and Pujie Black both look great if you take some time to customise them. Little Worlds in M&E even turns the flat tyre into an adorable little design feature.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As far as I know there is no API to adjust screen brightness on Wear, the OS just does that itself, so an app wouldn't help.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Would OLED really make any measurable difference to battery life? I know the old thing about black being free on OLED but does this actually translate into anything meaningful in the real world? I always feels like one of those XDA sayings where everyone repeats it and assumes it matters without really knowing.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

G-Prime posted:

Depends on what watchface you use, and how much time your screen spends on. Mine has a ton of black space, and more in ambient mode, so it'd make a notable difference.
This reply really seems to miss the point of my post. Does it really make a notable difference? Is there some actual real-world evidence for this?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Or, for that matter, just a 46mm watch that's two thirds the current thicknesses.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

G-Prime posted:

https://senk9.wordpress.com/2015/05/24/thoughts-amoled-power-consumption-tested-and-explored/

It's no peer-reviewed study, but it's something. Regular LCDs only have the brightness of the full screen backlight to adjust to get varying power draw.
Unless I'm missing something this doesn't seem to give any comparison to LCD, it's a few years out of date, and potentially we also have the issue that phones use much bigger screens. So for answering the question "will a watch running OLED get longer battery life than a watch using LCD", it's not very helpful. Current real-world devices seem to imply that the answer is "not really", despite what we might intuitively think due to the way the technology works.

Maybe the difference becomes a lot less significant on a smaller panel because the fixed cost of running the display driver is higher relative to the total power consumption? There are lots of possibilities here. If things were as simple as this implies we'd all see OLED watches lasting twice as long as LCD ones and, well, we definitely do not see that.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can't block it from launching the app, no. Same problem with Strava here. I fixed it by buying a Garmin and not using my watch while cycling any more.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm assuming my OG 360 isn't getting Wear 2.0 because I may as well not get my hopes up. Planning to replace it this year anyway.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

What are my options?
Huawei Watch I guess? Does it have to be round? Maybe wait for some releases this summer, I imagine we'll get some announcements soon as it's been pretty quiet for months. Hopefully the Moto 360 v3 is a thing or Huawei do a nice model again because I'm fed up with my v1.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rastor posted:

With Wear 2.0 and new Qualcomm chipsets all on the horizon, it's definitely good to wait for new announcements if you can.
Yeah I'm pretty much just waiting for a nice Snapdragon Wear 2100 device to show up.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

butt dickus posted:

Android Police is reporting there are going to be two Nexus Android Wear devices.
This would be cool. Need to replace my 360 at some point but no signs of a new 360 or Huawei Watch at all, not even rumours. Has any major OEM announced or released a device this year? I only remember the weird fashion ones and the Casio. Seems like Wear is a bit dead.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Edit: Oh it's the Wear thread, not an actual S2, never mind, can't read.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Aug 2, 2016

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Slightly weird looking but not bad overall. Definitely waiting for the Google watches before I make any decision though.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't even look like they've put a light sensor on the flat tyre!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

calandryll posted:

I'm going on my honeymoon in a week and limiting the amount of tech I'm bringing. So no watch, is there a way for my phone to stop trying to reconnect to my watch when it's no where near it? Or is it one of those things where I should just unpair it for the week and re-pair when I get back.
There's a Disconnect option in the Wear app which should work though I've not actually ever used it myself.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Signing in for the 360 Dies At Lots Of Percent crew. Come on Google where the watches at.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

No pixel watch announcements today?? :(
I suspect we'll see them when we see Wear 2.0 (i.e. early next year).

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Usually the watch announcement is like six months ahead of launch though. :/
Usually? Google have never launched a watch.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

R.L. Stine posted:

My battery drained at a much more acceptable rate on the second day after Marshmallow installed so I'm probably going to hold onto it as-is unless today isn't the same or better. I've heard stories of LiPo batteries taking a bit of time to reach their full potential but I assume that's probably garbage science.
It's not the battery, it's just a thing that Wear seams to do for the first day or two. Syncing and stuff I guess.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd wait for Android Wear 2.0 and the rumoured Google-branded watches at this point. But we don't know when that will happen other than "next year".

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wolrah posted:

Also not a big fan of swiping to change the watch face, I think press-and-hold was perfect for that (which also still works, mostly, breaking if using a face with settings).
I hate this with a passion. It frequently activates by itself because I folded my arms, my watch touched my leg, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Magog posted:

Yessss, I'll finally retire my OG Moto 360.
How's are you liking the eight hour battery life?