Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

For some reason as soon as a wristwatch becomes a smart-watch, I am no longer willing to pay $200 for it. Give me style choices immediately, android. Stop developing your technology in the first generation first! :argh:

I'm hoping with v2 of the moto that we'll see some cheap used copies of the v1. Like people said, it will still be just as good as it is now. My one concern is that they might just stop pushing updates to it in like a year or 2 because they want people to go buy the newest version. I assume it's pretty much just wait-and-see on that type of behavior at this point, right?

Call of Cholula posted:

I've been hearing "is that an iPhone or a Galaxy?" for the past couple of years.

Anecdotal experience is totally subjective, how weird!
I always get "What phone is that?" if somebody wants to know what phone I am using, instead of these rude-rear end leading questions. Apparently I live around better people. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Three Olives posted:

No, I'm saying that the 360 looks comically large on my wrists and could never pass as a traditional watch.

If you mean that it could not pass for a normal watch because of how large (or tacky) it is, you really really really do not understand the watch scene for the past couple decades.

E: seriously, I mean I could see the argument that there aren't a lot of watches with a bezel like that (There are probably some because fashion watches), but I am so tired of "It doesn't look like a watch". You know what don't look like watches any more? watches. They're status symbol jewelry and people buy crazy poo poo, so they keep making crazy poo poo. The moto360 is basically just a bauhaus-style smartwatch, except with that dumb flat tire. It's pretty watchlike.

And yes, everybody will know that your watch with a digital screen is not a non-digital watch. This is not actually a problem, unless you are already worried about getting a nice watch stolen, in which case do not buy a nice/expensive watch.

surc fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 16, 2015

surc
Aug 17, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

With an idea like that, I'm not sure Fitbit is the moron here.

As somebody who may someday buy an android watch, but will not buy an android watch and a fitbit because I'm not going to switch watches for exercise, this seems like an idea that would allow them to continue selling their own hardware at their own prices, while also meaning I might purchase their hardware in the future, instead of just not. Why is it moronic?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Point, but at the risk of being pedantic that's not really a watch band, it's a bracelet (from their web page it seems all but the top parts are rigid, and it's circular). It also doesn't seem to actually exist.

I suppose a "watch bracelet" could eventually happen, but I have serious doubts about the comfort, significant doubts about the functionality, and no comment on the stylishness.

I mean, I know it's easy to think "just make something that looks like a Fitbit Charge but leave out the top part", and I can see how people would like to have that, but the top part is pretty important and there's a reason it's on the top.

People have been doing stuff with watches and thick bracelets forever: https://www.google.com/search?q=bra...ch&q=cuff+watch

surc fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 15, 2016