Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Something much cheaper than my Moto 360 that looked just as nice but only showed notifications rather than having a touch screen and the ability to interact with notifications would be a pretty good value proposition.

You just described a Pebble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

spookygonk posted:

Got asked by a nurse today if my Moto 360 was the Apple Watch. :smith:

I've gotten the same thing since the Apple Watch was announced. Oddly no one has seemed less interested in it after finding out that it is "The Android one".

TraderStav posted:

360 hits $100/$110 and I'm jumping on that. Perfect pricepoint for my notification mirror.

Get the G Watch for like $60 or wait a few months for a Wear with fewer compromises. Frankly right now all the Android Wear devices have glaring compromises and the second gen is right around the corner.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 14, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

butt dickus posted:

He's right in that case though? The 360 is regarded as the best and it has the performance and battery problems caused by the old SoC, plus the flat tire that bothers a lot of people.

Along with no OLED, always on display or ambient light sensor. The Sony Smartwatch 3 is interesting but inexplicably does not have a heart rate sensor. The fitness tracking on all of them apparently suck which means I wear a Fitbit Charge HR along with my smartwatch.

You can have an always on all day OLED but no GPS or ambient light sensor. At this point there is no reason there has to be compromises on all the devices, it doesn't have to have GPS but it needs an accurate pedometer, after calibrating my Charge HR stride length it is accurate within a few percentage point both running and walking yet the Wear devices can't even accurately count steps.

Sorry, everything out there is painfully obviously a first gen device, wait for second gen or buy the cheapest first gen, at least this close to the second gen.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

butt dickus posted:

The 360 has an ambient light sensor. That's part of why it has the flat tire.

Yes but outdated SOC and no always on display.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Does it get all day battery life with ambient display now?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I woke up to an Updated G Watch. I have to say this is a huge improvement in interface.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Rastor posted:

Original LG G Watch on sale for $50. This is probably one of your last chances to buy one new.

It's not the best of Android Wear -- but it is very affordable.

It's not the best but it was the by far the best value for the money at $100, it is an absolute steal at $50 and the perfect way to dip your feet into Wear which is still a very much immature and evolving platform with major hardware updates in the next few months. Buy this if you are thinking about Wear.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

G-Prime posted:

In case anybody missed it, Woot is selling refurbed LG G Watches (just the original, not the R) today for $80. Not a bad deal for what really amounts to a pretty decent watch. I picked one up earlier this week from a buddy that had upgraded and am really happy with it.

I'm still really happy with my G Watch but $80 seems really, really high for a refurb this late in the game, there have been lower prices on new G watches weeks and weeks ago. For $80 for a refurb I'm going to wait for either the second gen or pick up a G Watch R next time it goes on a decent sale.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Rastor posted:

AT&T Wireless dropped the G Watch R to $99 today but of course the inventory available on the website sold out almost immediately.

God drat it! Hopefully I can pick up a refurb for $199-ish in the next month or so assuming that a really compelling next gen watch isn't announced between now and then. I would also probably settle for a Zen Watch at $150, maybe, I like it but another friend said she likes the LG G R but that she saw the Zen watch in person and thought it was ugly, I haven't seen it in person.

G-Prime posted:

80 is a bit much this late, yes, but not awful for an entry level Wear device. I just snagged one for 50 from a coworker, personally. Wanted something to use to dip my toes in the water and see if it'd be worthwhile for me to buy one of the shiny new ones that's inevitably coming over the next couple months.

Replace the band and nobody will say anything about it. My ex who works for a very high end fashion company who will be the first to make fun of whatever I am wearing said it looks fine or more, inoffensively bland. It's not a piece of jewelry but it is no more stylistically offensive then a Fitbit and we have all pretty much come to accept those.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 30, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

That bezel

It's OLED so the bezel shouldn't be a problem with a well designed watch face.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Except for the huge blank area all around the edges.

I'm the fool that thinks the G Watch is OK so...

The September launch time is interesting though if only because I think it means it is OK to pull the trigger on a sale of one of the better first gen watches because second gen is probably going to launch for winter 2015 so I'm down for a LG G R now when it goes on a really good sale.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

There's still that 99 dollar ATT sale for the g watch r

Reverse Centaur posted:

Apparently it's $99 with at&t, I can't compete with that. I could sell it to a fellow Canadian for at least $200 I think, it's not even out here yet.

Out of stock online and I've searched every zip code I can think of in the metro and two other metros where I could talk a friend into getting it for me so I don't think that price is actually valid.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 2, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

vulturesrow posted:

So what's my best option in terms of Android Wear devices if my priorities are price, functionality, aesthetics in that order? Or should I wait a bit (I have no idea what sort of events, etc are coming up in the near term)?

If you absolutely must buy one right now a LG G Watch if you can find it for under $80 new, otherwise just wait one of the higher end first gen watches to go on a really good sale, that should be shortly.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

Apparently G Watch Rs are being "wound down," that is production has stopped. Strange decision by LG. Not sure if that makes mine more or less valuable.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...y-discontinued/

I don't think it is that surprising considering the Urbane has been confirmed to be identical hardware wise to the G Watch R. Wear sales are probably still way too low to justify two production lines for nearly identical products with what probably amounts to very little material cost difference but a clear attempt to send market signals that the Urbane is a more premium device than the LG G watch Round.

I would guess that it signals a price drop for the Urban as we move to second gen hardware.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
The thing I am really waiting for is Wear specific chipsets. MediaTek announced a while back that they are shipping in volume already. A stripped down modern chip paired with a OLED instead of a crippled Snapdragon 400 should give stellar battery life and open up new app possibilities.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I was barely, barely considering picking up a 360 now that they are being cleared out so I tried one on today:

Nope, I'm sorry, it does not pass for a normal watch, even if it round. Maybe techno jewelry but the thing looks way bigger and less watch like on my wrist than my G Watch with a leather band.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

You're a skeleton.

But G Watch:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Wait, you're saying that looks better and more watch-like than the 360?

Because if you're saying that...you are always wrong!

No, I'm saying that the 360 looks comically large on my wrists and could never pass as a traditional watch. Might as well pocket the money and have something that costs much less, runs the latest software, is faster and has better battery life.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Jesus your arms are small. A ton of watches will look like poo poo on you. It will also pass like a normal watch if there was a watch face displaying instead of it being a black void but Jesus eat some food dude.

But they aren't!

Here is my old as poo poo Forerunner that I bought like over a decade ago:

You're ragging on a really good watch because it looks bad on you. Kinda weird.

By what definition is it a "really good watch" besides looking good on you? It has chronic manufacturing issues, the worst SOC and battery by far and there aren't promises on the latest wear that all of the other watches have had for weeks. I just don't understand why the 360 is the undisputed best Wear device by so many people.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 16, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
The Moto 360 is now officially $150 so it's probably the one to buy right now, I just don't think I can bring myself with an update around the corner.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Rastor posted:

The ASUS ZenWatch has made a price drop on the Google Store, from $199 to $129.

https://store.google.com/product/asus_zenwatch

Tempting, I guess second gen is right around the corner now.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Either they are going super, super overboard on the packaging or they are shooting for a disappointingly high price point for what will almost certainly be a last gen device by the time it hits wide availability.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Well I was going to go see a ZenWatch and either buy it from Google or the store if I liked it so I checked last night and god drat it it is back up to $199. :(

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 25, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

Motorola screwed up by announcing the 360 way too early last time. Maybe they learned something.

Maybe, just maybe, they're making sure they have enough to sell when it is released too (lol no)

I think it really comes down to if Motorola is making a decent profit on the 360 at $150 because they seem to be selling really well right now, the second gen is almost certainly going to be priced higher, probably back to the $300 range so if Motorola can pump out 360s cheaply right now they probably aren't in any rush to push out the second gen.

Plus there were the rumors that the true second gen of Wear is going to add speaker and NFC support (Seems likely with the Apple Watch) so they very well could be holding out for that.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Three Olives posted:

I was barely, barely considering picking up a 360 now that they are being cleared out so I tried one on today:

Nope, I'm sorry, it does not pass for a normal watch, even if it round. Maybe techno jewelry but the thing looks way bigger and less watch like on my wrist than my G Watch with a leather band.

So I got my G Watch R from Reverse Centaur and as I remember from the store forever ago the squared off lugs make it not look as ridiculous as the 360 on apparently freakishly tiny wrists.

I had it on an analog watch face last night at the bar and someone asked me how my watch glows so brightly.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I love the painted on numbers. Classy. Makes sense when you use a digital watch face too.

Because displaying center justified text and interface elements on a circular display makes so much sense? I still stand by my earlier point, round displays on smart watches makes absolutely no sense and is clearly a hindrance to user interaction but given the current state of every Android Wear device having major flaws this seemed like the best compromise for me. Also I chose that particular digital watch face specifically because it has second indicator that revolves around the watch making the etched on numbers at least make a tiny bit of logical sense even though they are completely pointless.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

Time for my bi-monthly "the 360 looked almost too small on me" post

How on earth did the metal band on your G R almost fit me?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Zen Watches are now $130 at Best Buy.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 5, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
It's still showing $130 for me.

Lowen SoDium posted:

I like mine pretty well. I think it looks better than most of the others.

But it does have the following limitations:

No WiFi

The heart monitor works by you putting your fingers on the metal sides of the face of the watch

The heart monitor might as well be picking numbers at random, it is so inaccurate.

If none of those bother you, then its a great watch.

On the other end the heart rate monitor on all of the Wear devices is basically useless even on the ones that work better and it has an OLED display that it can easily run all day in ambient mode.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 5, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

xtal posted:

Is it a bad idea to buy a Moto 360 today? Are there any better watches in the ~$200 range, now or in the future?

Yes to every question if it has to be a black and white answer. The Moto 360 has glaring deficiencies but all of the Wear devices do as well. Right now I would say that the Zen watch is the best device/price combo but maybe you are willing to pay more for a device with a worse display and battery life because you think it looks better? There is nothing wrong with that.

What are you looking for? Square displays work better, round displays look like more common watches and like neater technology because they are so rare. OLED displays are better than LCD displays in watches but they will cost you more. The Moto 360 has the worst battery life by far but will get you through the day if the screen isn't always on, the rest of the watches will get you through the day with the screen on all the time but maybe you don't care about that.

What exactly are you looking for?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

I wear my Flex on the opposite arm from my 360 because it's just a far better fitness tracker.

Laat week my two year old Flex stopped working and customer support just sent me a new one without requiring a receipt or for me to send the broken one back. Good support.

Seriously? The motor in my Flex died under warranty but I had already bought a Charge HR and forgot/was too lazy to get it replaced. I will try and get it replaced now and give it to my sister or something.

Actually in general I find myself surprised at how forgiving many companies are about warranties, I bought an expensive pair of running Bluetooth headphones and had my dog chew them up. I called the company and clearly explained what happened and said I was just hoping they could give me a discount on a new pair, I sent in a envelope full of chewed up headphone parts and they sent a brand new pair in a retail box via FedEX back for free. This is far from the first experience I have had like this but one of the best cases.

But yes, Pebble, G Watch R, G Watch all absolutely rubbish at any sort of fitness tracking, they won't even line up on walking around at work but I've checked my Charge/Flex against GPS and trail markers and once you set your stride it is very accurate, surprisingly so.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Placid Marmot posted:

Ah, yes, because chewing food and taking a shower take zero calories to do.
The difference between walking at a moderate pace for an hour and staring at a wall for an hour is similar to the difference between cycling at 13mph for an hour and cycling at 15mph for an hour - it's close to noise. If you're walking for exercise for long enough to burn a worthwhile number of calories, you're better off doing some actually-worthwhile exercise for a fraction of the time. For reference, 314 calories (minus BRM calories of course) is not a worthwhile number of calories to burn.
Indeed, as you highlight, the difference between true calories burned/pulse/paces and the calories/pulse/paces that your watch displays is picked at random depending which watch you get, how it fits on you, your style of walking, whether you walk on concrete or uneven ground, and any number of other factors, and may be greater than the difference between wall-staring and walking.

This is all dumb. All the Android Wear devices are complete poo poo at providing any meaningful data on calorie burn/exercise/steps walk/heart rate period. You can use GPS run tracking on the Smartwatch 3 but it has no HR and there are better and cheaper devices if you goal is just GPS run tracking.

If you are really serious about tracking calorie burn and do a meaningful amount of cardio (i.e. not just walking your dog on occasion) Fitbit offers two accurate devices, the Fitbit Charge HR and the Surge that will accurately track your calorie burn (As close as anything that costs $150-300) as well as function as daily wear activity trackers, if you aren't doing meaningful cardio other companies offer fine products as well. If you are really serious about running or biking or rollerblading or whatever Garmin offers an incredibly well respected line of products that are suitable up to elite level professional athletes.

Do not buy a Android Wear device for this purpose, don't even consider it, frankly they might as well rip this functionality out because it is completely useless and those of us that actually care about it use a secondary device or more than one. Seriously, they can not even accurately count steps. At best it might be able to tell you your heart rate when you ask it to, this is basically trivia, none of the wear devices can do true continuous heart rate tracking and that is the only way to get any meaningful data about your heart rate in the context of calorie burning or exercise.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

I have zero interest in a 360-2 with a flat tire. I like Huawei, but it is not really different enough from my Urbane, so I guess I will stop buying every single watch for a while.

You should have just kept the LG R, I literally had a woman sexualy assaulting me over it last weekend, the best I ever got out of my G Watch was men clumsy hitting on me asking if it was the Apple watch.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
No specs and launching in the fall.

I don't understand what Google is doing with Wear, none of the Android Wear tech is exactly cutting edge so I don't understand why they are having such a hard time getting their partners to push out hardware in a timely manner.

I mean take the Urbane, it is physically identical to the G R besides the case and even it trickled out on to the market when the G R was already in mass production on the same line.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Rastor posted:

Personally I get the impression that right now the partners are waiting for Google. Next rev of Android Wear software based on Android M?

Google said a while back not to expect any super huge Wear updates but they were just going to regularly push improvements as they were finished.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

taqueso posted:

Does Fossil have any watches that aren't boring? That isn't a name I'd expect to be pushing the envelope.

Fossil owns Meta Watch which they seem to be letting die for some reason.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

TollTheHounds posted:

I was very disappointed reading this, I mean why even bother. What differentiates the "Fossil" from an Urbane? or Huawei? Other than an intel proc. Absolutely nothing.

Even though I hate the flat tire of the 360 ( and would never buy one, I don't care if you get used to it, it shouldn't be there in the first place! ), I do like that it has no bezels. It's a neat differentiator ( holy poo poo that is a word ).

Uh, hopefully it has an OLED display? It's still pretty far out so there is a chance that it could have usable fitness tracking/GPS and Wear has to be on track to get NFC payment.

Is Intel even doing anything interesting with watch chips? MediaTek announced a Wear specific chip forever ago and said it was already shipping in quantity but no one is using it yet even though a Wear really needs an optimized SOC instead of a gimped Snapdragon or some chips Motorola found in the back of a warehouse somewhere.

Speaking of the Urbane, what the hell ever happened to the Urbane LTE? It was apparently released in Korea months ago but I haven't seen a mention of it since then. It's actually I watch that I would really like to buy if they release it in the US with a decent running app and subscription music service. Actually if that happened half the people I know that run/bike would beat their door down to buy it for $500.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
http://officialandroid.blogspot.com/2015/08/android-wear-stay-connected-with.html

Latest Wear update is rolling out starting today.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/08/20/android-wear-lca43-ota-roundup/

Sideloads are popping up now if you don't want to wait "weeks", just the G Watch and the Sony Smartwatch 3 so far, the rest should appear shortly. Also you are poo poo out of luck with the Moto 360 but maybe you won't have to wait months this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Well it took me a stupidly long time but I finally figured out how to sideload the file to my GWR and it works perfectly.

I can post easy instructions here if anyone needs help but I'm going to assume you aren't as dumb about this as I am.