Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

uPen posted:

I'd probably actually prefer something I can plugin, QI charging is a nightmare when you're traveling.

This doesn't change with wired charging though, since AFAIK none of the smartwatches currently on the market with wired charging use a normal USB connector. You still have a dongle you need to use to charge, just now it's proprietary to the specific watch or family of watches. At least with Qi if you forget your charging pad you can go to any large electronics store and buy a replacement. If I forget my HWatch dongle I'm SOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I can say that I tend to aggressively use "Theater Mode" on my HWatch when in dark rooms with other people because I get a lot of emails so there's almost always a pending notification, meaning that randomly if I move my wrist starts glowing bright white from the lower third of the screen. If I manually dim it to the lowest setting it's fine there, but that gets annoying to manage.

This works of course, and is obviously kinda the point of the mode, but to me a lot of the utility of the watch comes from being able to subtly see and decide the relevance of my notifications when I'm in situations where I don't want to or can't get out my phone. Any time I use theater mode I lose that ability and it basically becomes a worse version of a low-end Fitbit from a functionality standpoint for that time.

A well calibrated ambient light sensor would probably go a long way to avoiding this. That said a badly calibrated one is worse than none at all, I've definitely had a few phones where the ALS did not work very well.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LastInLine posted:

I'll admit there's more Wear should do and doesn't (Android Pay and having a speaker are two obvious ones) but unlike the Thunderbolt there's nothing unlivable about the current gen Wear devices so that's a less than apt comparison. I mean, the Thunderbolt didn't even work as a telephone but Wear devices do display the time.
I always heard the biggest complaint about the Thunderbolt was its battery life (which I found odd considering I had its close cousin the Evo 4G and couldn't really complain about it), which if true would be a good comparison for a lot of the first-gen Wear devices that couldn't make it through a full day without disabling features.

Having a speaker I definitely agree it's something all future models should offer and likewise I wish it had NFC.

quote:

I guess it depends on how much you were willing to spend on a watch before smartwatches were a thing. I can't imagine why you'd prefer an AMOLED screen on something that's whole raison d'etre is to display static elements 24/7 but I'd like to think that for every one sold they give away an umbrella made of cotton candy to accompany it.
I don't want my idle screen making my entire wrist glow in dark rooms. With the AMOLED display I just set it to dim as low as it goes and it looks pretty much like a slightly bright glow-in-the-dark face on a mechanical watch.

If you choose your idle face wisely (no really wide lines) the screen shifter feature should avoid noticeable wear for at least long enough for battery wear to be a bigger deal.. I will admit that it definitely looks weird when I glance at my watch and can tell the screen's offset a few pixels.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
"Upgraded" my HWatch to 2.0 last night. I like some of what they're doing but I think I'll be reverting to an older version for the first time in my history of Android device ownership. There's a lot of polish required here, especially with the new notifications and the gestures on the face. I hope face selection is moved back to being a long press, it being on swipe is way too easy to trigger unintentionally.

When they said developer preview 1 they meant it this time around.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

What happens when I mis-align the charger on mine. Definitely the worst part of the whole device, that stupid puck.

NFC and Qi would sell me on an upgrade. I don't want a cell radio or GPS, my phone's already got those things. I can see how someone who cares more about the fitness tracking aspect of it might want those features to be able to leave their phone behind, but I'd rather have more battery and/or less cost by leaving them out.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Yep just saw those, don't think they look great. I can't believe flat tires are still a thing - far worse than recessed screens IMO, which I think are a positive since they protect the screen. I was always worried I damaged my 360's screen.

The only defense for the flat tire is they allow a light sensor to be placed on the face without a huge bezel. That's definitely a minor hardware feature that I really miss on the Huawei.

As for the recessed design, I agree in theory but in practice I think LastInLine has a point. I spend a lot of time reaching in to walls, behind desks, etc so I end up scraping my watch on things a lot. My wrist also hangs pretty much right at doorknob height, which means I've smacked the watch hard on a doorknob more times than I can count. The screen is perfect still, where the bezel has a few noticeable scratches. I'm sure I could polish those out if I cared enough, but still.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Don Lapre posted:

Burn in can happen on any oled display, even with pixel shifting

The lgs seem to be particularly bad though

Holy poo poo that's horrible. How old is that one?

My HWatch has been used daily since I got it, with the display set to dim but never turn completely off (kinda defeats the purpose of a watch if I can't see the time at a glance), and has absolutely zero visible burn.

edit: reverse-GIS says that's a display model from an AT&T store. I'd bet they have a demo loop running that keeps the display active constantly where it would be mostly idle and black on a good face's low power mode. Probably not representative of the model overall.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Even while driving it's really nice. Before I got a proper mount my phone lived in my cupholder, which was not a very good place to have to glance down to when approaching a not-so-straightforward intersection in traffic. It's a lot easier to look at my wrist.

Also if I was trying to listen to a game or something where I didn't have my phone connected to my car stereo the vibrations when a turn is coming up are really nice.

I really wish Waze would do the same, since I prefer it over GMaps for police alerts and more aggressive routing around traffic.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Has anyone tried Wear 2.0? How is it? Only works on Huatches and WULTESEs apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgvLewY0-Ts

I tried one of the betas (second one I think) on my hwatch and reverted after a day. It was the first time I've had a Google beta product that actually felt beta. I'd even say it felt alpha. There's good reason it's been delayed further IMO.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LastInLine posted:

I love my 360/2 and have never had the battery come in at less than 50% after a day's use.

Likewise with the HWatch. Basically if you forget to charge it for a night you'll probably be fine unless you're using it heavily. In just short of a year I've run out of battery once out of the dozen or so times I've left it off the charger (or misaligned it) overnight.

Notifications alone make it worth every penny in my opinion, I'm happy with my purchase at $249 and would be all over it at $150. We'll see what happens with AW2.0 but at $150 I think even without another update I'd be happy with the current state of Android Wear.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ashex posted:

People keep talking about how amazing IFTTT is so I tried it out. I setup one action for giving me previews of pictures I take but the lag is ridiculous, is this normal?

I haven't really messed around with IFTTT but isn't it basically a service for connecting various cloud APIs to each other?

If I'm understanding what you've done correctly you're taking a picture on your phone, the IFTTT app recognizes this and uploads it to the internet (or it's uploaded by some other app and that notifies IFTTT) which then downloads it back to your phone and sends the image to your watch to be displayed.

If that's even in the right ballpark then significant lag seem like exactly what I'd expect.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Android Wear 2.0 DP4 has come out and has reverted some things to work more like the current version: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/12/android-wear-2-0-dev-preview-4-works-more-like-wear-1-0/

Compatibility with 1.0-style bundled apps has been restored, as has swiping back. Bundled apps don't auto-install anymore, now they prompt, and the separate app on the watch store is still the recommended long-term solution.

As usual HWatch and LG Urbane 2nd Edition users who feel like playing around can grab the images here: https://developer.android.com/wear/preview/index.html

I'm going to wait a few days to see if there are any showstoppers, but this seems like they realized where they had gone wrong on DP3 so it might be quite usable.

edit: They also bought another smartwatch company: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/12/google-acquires-smartwatch-os-startup-cronologics-founded-by-ex-employees/

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 13, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I got bored last night and decided to install Wear 2.0. It's definitely usable now and I think they're headed in the right direction with the app implementation.

I prefer the old style of notifications though, the new ones are huge. Also not a big fan of swiping to change the watch face, I think press-and-hold was perfect for that (which also still works, mostly, breaking if using a face with settings).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Three Olives posted:

I could have sworn that Huawei said they were not releasing any more Wear watches.
I recall seeing a rumor saying that, but nothing firm.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'm not sure if it's just confirmation bias but I could swear that my HWatch on AW2 has become significantly less stable since the "DP5" release the other day. It's rebooted randomly about a dozen times since then, yesterday I was at 10% battery when I was getting ready for bed, and today I was at 10% three hours ago. Usually I end the day in the 40-60% battery range. The battery usage thing is useless, showing three items accounting for a total of 12% of the consumption.

Any thoughts before I factory reset and reload?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LastInLine posted:

It's rebooted a dozen times and you aren't sure if it's less stable? How often was it rebooting before?

For comparsion's sake, my Moto 360/2 has never rebooted on its own in the year and a half I've had it.

I've also been doing webinar training for the last two days so I've been more in a position to notice it rebooting. It boots so fast I honestly have no idea if this was a thing that was happening previously, it's just been in my line of sight all day.

I've noticed it reboot on its own maybe 20-30 times over the slightly over a year I've had it until this week. Discord messages in particular seem to be a cause, at least half the times before the last few days I can directly associate with a new notification from my LAN group's channel containing an emoji. Kik or Hangouts messages containing emoji don't seem to be an issue.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 2, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
It vibrates strong for about a half second and then takes around 7 seconds to boot. If I'm wearing long sleeves it might take me a bit before I check my watch and I can't tell it apart from a notification coming in, since almost every crash I've noticed coincides with a notification anyways so there'll inevitably be one waiting for me when I look.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

not even thinner.

Yikes.

Bottom is a Moto 360 Gen2 42mm, image stolen from Ars.

bull3964 posted:

Got as far as "non-replaceable band" in the Sport review before stopping.
That too. It's seemingly necessary for cellular, but that's one more good reason why I don't want cellular in my watch.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Tunga posted:

The Classic is almost the perfect watch except no crown and why does it have numbers around the face? I don't use analogue watch faces which makes that look stupid. Will consider it though. My OG 360 now only lasts about four hours on the battery!

Agreed. I do use analog faces but I'd prefer the subtle tick marks the black models of the original HWatch have. Also disappointed at the lack of crown.

That said if I get a new watch the HWatch 2 Classic is now at the top of the list. I've said give me the original one plus NFC and ALS without LTE and I'll be happy, they've done pretty much that. CNET's listing shows it having GPS even in the non-LTE model which I don't really want, but typically in mobile devices GPS comes along with the cellular radio so I'm not sure if that might just be an inaccurate listing.

The old one runs AW2 just fine though (a factory reset has seemed to resolve my battery issues from a few weeks ago), so at this point I still haven't had any reason to think I really need a new one.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I like the look of a lot of those, and at least the Vapor's price is right. If they don't do anything stupid with the hardware there are probably a few winners in that lineup.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Lowen SoDium posted:

I get the same thing about my zen watch 1. I didn't think it was great looking, kind of understated really. People ask what brand it is, and when I say Asus, they lose interest.

Try having a Huawei. Then not only do they immediately lose interest but you end up having to answer a "what?" when you say "Huawei"

At this point I just say it's an Android watch. If someone's actually interested in taking the conversation further they'll probably at least be aware of the device on a basic level.

It is absurd how important branding seems to be in the watch market. I can entirely understand appearance being more important than it is in almost any other kind of tech, that makes sense, but if you like the way it looks and how it works who gives a gently caress what name is written in small text somewhere on it?

wolrah fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 25, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

withoutclass posted:

Some people exercise without their phones

This is the explanation for every single one of those "but my phone already does $thing, why does my phone accessory need to do it as well?" questions.

Fitness tracking is a major driver for smart watches of all kinds, so anything they can cram in to a watch is one less thing you need to carry your phone around for. Exercise clothes generally don't have the greatest pockets. I prefer riding my bike and wear cargo shorts so I don't really care, but I can definitely see how someone who runs would appreciate not having a phone flopping around in their pocket while still being able to have all the modern conveniences of connected technology.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Apparently I'm the only one who likes it?

I have no idea why it's taking Huawei so long to get a release version out, the beta works great so they should have had the easiest time of all.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LastInLine posted:

Pretty much everything now is the SD2100 and everything from the generation before (Moto 360/2, Huawatch) is the dual core SD400.

Hwatch and Moto 360 Gen2 are both quad core SD400.

I find it pretty funny that my watch has more and faster CPU cores than my first three computers combined. More RAM too.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bull3964 posted:

IIRC most of the SD400 implementations in wear had two cores always disabled. So, the hardware may report 4 cores, but it's possible two are throttled down all the time.

That does appear like it may be the case, when I have AIDA64 open while requesting a bug report I see CPU usage hit 80% while cores 1+2 sit at 787 MHz and cores 3+4 are marked "sleeping".

I don't really know what else to try to cause CPU load while I can still see real-time stats,.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I managed to get it to hold 100% CPU usage for about 20 seconds by having it update some apps while streaming music. It didn't budge an inch, two cores at 787 and two cores idle. At one point the music actually skipped, so it was definitely maxing out the system.

That's somewhat annoying. I can totally understand aggressive power management trying its hardest to keep two cores asleep, but once you're maxed out at a lower power state doesn't the "race to sleep" logic usually apply?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
AW2.0 finally rolling out to HWatch.

For watches already on DP4/5 it's apparently here: https://android.googleapis.com/packages/ota-api/huawei_sturgeon_sturgeon/cc4871176d447fec637ca92a364e4d4553c9bf4a.zip
and for those still on the old version it's here: https://android.googleapis.com/packages/ota-api/huawei_sturgeon_sturgeon/ee44a144cfa1319430608b5322b7d359c3e4bbf6.zip

I and many others on Reddit have had luck just hitting the update screen multiple times. It took me three tries on my watch from the dev preview build to get it to show me the OTA without any sideloading.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'm hoping someone who understands Android internals better than I do can tear down this versus the DP build and figure out what exactly this mystery bug that they took weeks to figure out actually was.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

iajanus posted:

Any way to trigger the update?
I just pulled up the update check page a few times in a row, third time it stopped giving me the green check and instead started downloading.

It'll factory reset your watch anyways, so there's no harm in sideloading the zip if you're comfortable with that, but so far it seems that a lot of people have had luck just refreshing the update check a few times.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
HW1 was one of the two beta devices for AW2.0.

That said it does not have NFC. There was a rumor that it had hidden hardware which is activated by AW2.0, but it's bogus.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I don't like the notifications on AW2 nor side swiping becoming the watchface switcher, but the native complication support and better app model balance it out.

I see it as like Windows 8.1 > Windows 10, it's a net improvement but there are some parts I'd really like the old way back.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nitrousoxide posted:

Man, all I want is a transflective display so I can actually read it in the sun, GPS, waterproofing and (ideally, but not absolutely necessary) NFC

Is this too much to ask?

I'm usually an OLED whore but I'd definitely buy a second "sport" style watch if it had a transflective LCD. Reading the HWatch in direct sunlight is an exercise in futility.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LastInLine posted:

A very small subset of nerd have some Wear devices, probably about the same number say they would buy one if only their unicorn edge case was addressed and if it cost less than $80, and some multiple of those two numbers combined have Apple Watches. That's the entire smartwatch demographic and not a single one is in there because of fashion.

I agree on your perception of Wear devices, I've met exactly one non-nerd who owned one, but for whatever reason the Apple Watch is really popular. I've seen them on two different drive through employees in the last week, not exaggerating. A bunch of the employees at my customers have them too.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Blue Train posted:

Is there any greater crime than a digital watch

You take that back!

I'll gladly admit that in non-sport contexts analog watches look better, but digital watches are without a doubt more useful. That's why smartwatches are awesome, one with a round display can look like an analog watch until you need to actually get information from it at which point it can display digital readouts or even analog-ish complications which are more readable than what would be physically possible to achieve in a real analog watch.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SlowBloke posted:

Just got a sudden update on my hwatch 1, first time it updated itself when not in the charging cradle. No changelog, patch level october 2017

Funny that, just as I'm reading this I look down and see a ring with a progress bar on mine.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Did the font size in notifications just get bigger for anyone else? I had the update that rebooted my HW1 a week or so ago but only noticed this as of this morning.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The only thing I'm still missing from 1.5 is the notification peek. I also still think swiping to change faces is the dumbest use of that gesture possible, but that doesn't really bug me too much.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Honestly it's not stellar. I put mine on at 4am this morning and just got home from work and it's at 33% which is fine for me but I've also disabled always on screen and don't use the activity tracker app. I ran it a full day with all the bells and whistles turned on and it was on battery saver mode when I got home. I guess I'd call it serviceable but if you're someone who is nervous about their devices dying on them it's probably gonna be the cause of some anxiety.

That's disappointing. I was eyeing the Vapor as an upgrade from my HWatch, but as I'm approaching two years I still rarely see the battery saver come on in a normal 9a-midnight day with both radios and the display always on.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LastInLine posted:

Are you sure your battery meter is correct? I never see the battery saver on my 360/2 either, it just thinks there's 70% left when in fact there's zero. I actually don't know where it shuts off but I do know that after a day's use it thinks there's about 70% left and from there it won't last another five hours. As far as I can tell the battery meter is a complete fiction.

I'm pretty confident the meter is correct. I pushed it to 1.5-2 days quite a few times over the summer. I've also killed it in a single day a few times but that is not the norm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
My HWatch has prompted to re-pair a few times over the last few weeks and currently doesn't seem to be working over Bluetooth at all. 90% of my day is spent in places with WiFi so I don't really notice but there may be something up with the latest update.

My phone's bluetooth is occasionally just wonky though, so it may be just me.