Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Had the watch for a week and the flat tire doesn't bother me in the least bit. The biggest thing I feel like I'm missing with AW is the ability to cruise through my list of text messages/hangouts/emails/calendar and not just see the incoming that's in the hopper. I understand that it's a design decision, but I'm looking for one level deeper as an extension of my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I think the idea is that you shouldn't be using your watch to go back in time 30 days in text messages. You can look back in the conversation and that's enough.

No that's fair, but once you swipe there is no going back to even the most recent. Like I said, I feel like the sweet spot is somewhere between the notification management and full access to all.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Actually, the gap in the market is a smaller watch that more women would be comfortable wearing.

I have girly man wrists and the 360 isn't bad at all. Roughly the same size as my Faux-lex Submariner but definitely thicker.

Really hoping the rumors of designer watches coming out with real mechanisms behind a transparent digitizer that activates when you want smart watch capabilities is true.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Tatsuta Age posted:

That's not a thing I ever realized I wanted before THIS VERY MOMENT, but that sounds really great.

Tag hinted at it I believe. I'm sure the battle will be managing battery life and thickness as well as the other components needed for both devices. Someone pulls that off, they're set and cracked the code. Obviously there will be battery savings from not having to power the display to see the time but it'll be a while before we see anything worth it in my opinion. I'm just happy that someone is trying to preserve watch culture with this new tech.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

booshi posted:

Anyone know if any good todo apps have been moved to AW yet? Todoist can do it, but required manually pushing data.

e:
Also loving my Pipboy face, which actually has a fair amount of info on it too. Also made me realize how often I keep accidentally cutting my hands in the workshop.

Have a link? Nothing good is coming up in the play store.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Returned my 360 today, just isn't worth the cost for how I was using it. I found I was just using it to see notifications and whether or not I needed to pull out my phone. That was great but not worth it.

It's down to $170 at Costco though. Great price for a lifetime return policy. If you are on the fence its a fantastic route and if you like it just return it later when a new one comes out. Which I expect will be soon with all these widespread price reductions.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Correct, jewelry. At least go in and get a price adjustment.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Costco is run by highly competent people that believe in their policies. They wouldn't allow it by accident so rest assured you're not being a dick by operating completely within their policies.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

Highly competent people wouldn't put a smart watch in the "can return for a full refund forever" category.

In other news, the Urbane is a big hit at work, and even some people who don't like the GWR want one. I will single handedly bring android wear to the masses.

From your perspective it may not make sense but I'm certain they have people analyzing their customers behaviors and such policies end up profiting in the long run. Costco can do no wrong in my book. They own on every level. I even use Costco branded acid reflux medicine and drink their beer.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not planning on returning it for the next better smart watch, but I am planning on returning it if it turns out I think Android Wear is poo poo.

A manager-type person told me I can return it whenever I want for any reason, which confirmed what I had previously read on their website as quoted below.

You'll find lots of policies in all areas of life that don't make a lot of sense on the individual level but do in the aggregate.

For example, having a liberal return policy store-wide could make people more willing to buy things they may not be willing to try otherwise, and if Costco does a good job selling good things, then profits from people trying new things outweighs losses from people returning things.

I did the same and did end up returning it.

I spend ~7-9k there every year and their return policy is a primary reason. They're winning out despite potential gaming.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Logikv9 posted:

Every smartwatch is an Apple Watch, just like how every tablet is an iPad.

There was probably a time when every smartphone was an iPhone, but now it's either an iPhone or a "samsung". All about that name recognition.

Never heard 'a samsung' It's always, Is that a 'Droid'?

Rastor posted:

Nobody posted that the Moto 360 is the Woot of the day? I'm disappointed in you all.

I think this is the clearest sign yet that the Moto 360 2 will be announced soon.

360 hits $100/$110 and I'm jumping on that. Perfect pricepoint for my notification mirror.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Looks like Best Buy has the Moto 360 for $149.

Yay, or nay?

That's when the metal band, which makes it a pretty good deal. I won't be plunking down the dough for a new one in the future so I ordered one. Picking up locally tonight (cool option through eBay). Worst case scenario I sell it down the line at a slight loss if the 360-2 completely wows me.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

First full day with the 360. Really improved Android wear since I last tried it. Battery is at 12% after wearing it all day (19 hours). That's plenty for me.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

For those with a Moto 360, are performance and battery life still an issue after a year of software updates? And is the metal wristband the way to go? I'm thinking about picking one up today for $149.

Just bought the metal band last week and the battery life is impressive. Plenty for a day. No issues with performance either.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Rastor posted:

It's been rumored to be in the works, but it's also possible for Amazon listings to be wrong.

Edit: AndroidPolice claims to have a reliable source off the record that Android Wear will be receiving iOS support soon.

Just curious, why is Apple allowing this? Is it something that they cannot stop due to having to have whichever API (or whatever) it's plugged into open for other 3rd party apps/devices or is it a legal requirement? Just seems very un-Apple like to allow this.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Any loss in functionality by using iOS? It doesn't seem so, which is great for the platform if so.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Any word on the sport model pricing?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

The only thing that would get me to upgrade to the 3602 is better fitness stuff (or a moment of weakness for new gadgetry). I'm not sure if this is a Wear issue or a hardware issue.

I also doubt any reviews will go into enough detail to actually track step counts or heart rate for long enough to actually get a good idea of accuracy...

The sport is highly attractive to me, wish they would put a price out.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

hotsauce posted:

Did you attach the rabbit ears correctly? Maybe wrap them in tin foil and try channel 13?

Probably doesn't have it on channel 3.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Anyone with the metal band for the Moto 360 (v1) ever have issues with a Qi pad to charge? I'd think the band would get in the way of making solid contact as it can't really lie flat. I've considered picking up a Qi pad for my car for those random times when my watch burns through the whole battery on a day for no particular reason.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Freezer posted:

Hoy a Moto360v1 as an impulse buy, and am pretty happy with it so far. It's usually nearly dead by the end of the day, but other than that it's just what I expected.

Any thread-recommended must have apps / faces for it?

Mustache is good. Active also.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Rastor posted:

Verizon dropped the SmartWatch 3 to $99.99 if you wanted one and missed the eBay deal:
http://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/sony-smartwatch-3/

Also Target is doing a flat 15 percent off everything on their website today with coupon code “CYBER15” and they have the Moto 360 and Huawei Watch on there.

as someone who just started running again and irritated at having to hold my 5x (or have it bounce around my pocket) this would be a great solution to track my run as well as listen to music, wouldn't it? Can I use a C25K program and/or Strava with it while my phone is away?

I currently have a 360v1 but would sell that to get this if I pulled the trigger.

edit: Out of stock... question still stands for future deals though

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Just a heads up, going to be putting my 1st-gen 360 with stainless band (believe it's the 23mm) on Awful Mart shortly. Will be $140 shipped and is in flawless condition.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 4, 2016

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

ijyt posted:

I'm guessing an android wear experience is quite gimped when paired with iOS? I don't like being locked down to one environment and I happily switch between iOS and Android between phone upgrades, but I've been eyeing the Huawei Watch because of the gorgeous design, but it feels like a wearable would lock me into android a bit more than I'd like.

Depends on what you want out of it. Simple notification mirroring? Does a good job of that although I noticed there's a slight delay compared to an android device. I didn't really test all the other standard wear features though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

FYI: Just threw my v1 360 on SA-MART: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758661