Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Meet Yamada. He's a punk!

Meet Shiraishi. She's a nerd!

Meet...Yamada again?

Meet Miyamura (or Miyamu for short!)

He's so gallant and dreamy!

Meet....YAMADA AGAIN?

WHAT'S GOING ON!?

SOMETHING WEIRD INDEED!

I'll tell you what's going on. It's the premise to Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches! A manga by Miki Yoshikawa (who did a goon favourite comic called Yanki-kun to Megane-Chan). Yoshikawa was an assistant under Hiro Mashima which is why her characters resemble Mashima's style.

Yamada & the Seven Witches is all about how a tough guy named Yamada happens to find out he can switch bodies with the girl who has some of the best grades in the school, Shiraishi! Except it doesn't just stop there, Yamada can swap bodies with way more people, and things get crazier from there! Yamada-kun is a series that lives and dies by its characters. The main cast really just clicks together and I find makes a pretty standard premise shine and become quite enjoyable. However, Yoshikawa has written A LOT of minor/side characters for the series which can drag things out a bit, but for anyone watching the anime. There really isn't much of a problem of happening. I still quite enjoy the manga for what its worth, and it must be somewhat popular because Kodansha has picked up the series for a physical manga release in North America. Volume 1 has recently become available. Yamada-kun was one of the original manga titles picked up by Crunchyroll, and current chapters are still being released to this day. You can read it here!

YAMADA-KUN AIRS SUNDAYS ON CRUNCHYROLL.

I ask that people PLEASE not spoil the manga in this thread, and try to refrain talking about it much to not deter people just coming into the anime. If you feel you must, be kind and label clearly that what your talking about is manga spoilers, but general rule of thumb would be best not to do it at all (until the anime finishes and this can maybe just also function as a manga thread then? If there's sufficient interest).

What makes the anime so fun?

The voice acting is pretty great for how Yamada and Shiraishi's VA's play around with their voice for when they have to act as the other, and they pay nice attention to body language.

Here's Yamada walking as Yamada.

Here's Yamada as Shiraishi

Here's Shiraishi as Yamada

The show is pretty great, and managed to match my expectations for an anime of the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I think Yamada-Shiraishi is my favorite thing ever.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I don't know anything about the original material, but the VAs are carrying this show.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Whatever happened to the thread we had for the original manga anyway? I remember following it, did translations suddenly stop and everybody forgot?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The original thread might have been swallowed by the failure of the archiving script. Not archived but still purged.

I got stuck somewhere on the manga and never read any more. Not anything particular to do with the story, just external circumstances, but Crunchyroll's lovely web-reader is certainly a lot of inertia to overcome.
Last thing I remember reading something about was (obviously manga spoilers here) the student council challenging the supernatural club to find the final witch first, and possibly some threat about bad things happening even if they do. Any suggestions to which chapter I should try picking back up from?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Emalde posted:

Whatever happened to the thread we had for the original manga anyway? I remember following it, did translations suddenly stop and everybody forgot?

A really bad arc happened and nobody really cared enough to talk about it.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

OneDeadman posted:

A really bad arc happened and nobody really cared enough to talk about it.

This seems right. It matches the feelings I seem to recall when I think about how I last felt when I saw this series. I don't remember a thing though, so can't wait for the anime to make me remember and hate it all over again! :v:

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.
I remember the manga got really off-track and boring, which seems to be a problem with the author. She also did Yankee-kun to Megane-chan, which had the same problem: good for a while, then completely nose-dived.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I initially got on board following this because I was a big fan of Yankee Kun & Megane Chan (just look at my avatar which I've had for like the past 6 years or so), but when I realized that it was basically YK&MC: Pantyshot Edition I kind of lost interest.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I stuck with it. It's had stronger moments and weaker moments just like any other manga.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Reading the manga currently, I think it's currently in "These relationship tropes are dumb, let's have this couple actually talk reasonably and solve problems like adults."

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'm another who lost track of the manga after it started meandering. The first while, though, is pretty good, and the animation and especially the voice acting are really selling this, so I'll probably be watching it. A dozen episodes is certainly going to be restricted to the stronger portions of the manga, even if they rush things.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I'm another who lost track of the manga after it started meandering. The first while, though, is pretty good, and the animation and especially the voice acting are really selling this, so I'll probably be watching it. A dozen episodes is certainly going to be restricted to the stronger portions of the manga, even if they rush things.

I re-read the first volume of the manga since Kodansha release it. The first episode of the anime cut out a lot of side-stuff that establishes how Shiraishi becomes more popular because Yamada beats up some punks as her. They were the ones that also then threatened Yamada/Miyamura. So the anime cut out a lot more fanservicey parts, and definitely has already started to streamline things.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I liked the manga a lot, but it should have stopped earlier instead of keeping on. It had a decent pace and some nice moments, but then it just got dumb.

Probably will check out this anime

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
New episode up, and I'm pretty sure that this show is a VA's dream job. The animators are having a good time too with the little subtle changes like Ito as Yamada sleeping in a girlish pose after getting knocked out

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It's great to see this animated and have the voice work, but drat they're speeding through the material. How much are they planning to fit into 12 episodes? Because based on the OP I'd expect them to introduce all 7 witches which doesn't happen until chapter 60 or something.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I really like how the trope of "Oh I'm in a girl's body now, so all of my martial arts training means nothing and I am now suddenly weak and defenceless~" is averted, but at the same time as a judoka a large chunk of martial arts training is building up muscle memory, which Ito, Shiraishi, and Miyamura all shouldn't have; at least have an adjustment period. :(

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
That was a pretty good episode, but man, they were speeding through the material so fast I felt like my head was spinning.

Edit: Checked the manga to refresh my memory, so far they're adapting about 5 chapters an episode. That's nuts.

madmac fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 20, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Emalde posted:

No it's licensed on Crunchyroll manga. There plot has gotten hard to follow. It would have been perfect if it ended entirely after the first arc.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

nielsm posted:

It's great to see this animated and have the voice work, but drat they're speeding through the material. How much are they planning to fit into 12 episodes? Because based on the OP I'd expect them to introduce all 7 witches which doesn't happen until chapter 60 or something.

They are seriously speeding through it, but honestly if you had never read the manga you really wouldn't notice, so so far so good, but it'll be interesting to see how they get the rest of the witches.

Also they spent a lot of pages on boob and pantie shots in the manga, so that probably helps cutting some of that out.

edit: forgot what is read and isn't...

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Apr 20, 2015

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Looks like the adaptation is changing up the order in which it adapted things because I'm pretty sure this storyline happened before Ito even shows up. They really did manage to work it in pretty nicely though.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Caught up on this the other day and I really like the VA work with the body swapping. Also the pace is crazy which is nice.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
The pace really is crazy but its managing to follow the manga closely all things considered. I'm curious where they're going to end the season cause I can't see them going through the whole first Witch War Arc with only 12 episodes. With 24 they could do the whole first arc plus the memory loss arc and then make some minor changes to wrap it up nice and never get a sequel.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Horizontal Tree posted:

The pace really is crazy but its managing to follow the manga closely all things considered. I'm curious where they're going to end the season cause I can't see them going through the whole first Witch War Arc with only 12 episodes. With 24 they could do the whole first arc plus the memory loss arc and then make some minor changes to wrap it up nice and never get a sequel.

Yeah, I'm kind of wondering if the plan isn't to do a split cour series like Fate/Stay or something, because I don't see any good stopping points within 12 episodes unless they do some super rushing.

The show has been really good so far, so I really hope it keeps the pace its been going at.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I really like how the trope of "Oh I'm in a girl's body now, so all of my martial arts training means nothing and I am now suddenly weak and defenceless~" is averted, but at the same time as a judoka a large chunk of martial arts training is building up muscle memory, which Ito, Shiraishi, and Miyamura all shouldn't have; at least have an adjustment period. :(

He is fighting on pure delinquent spirit, drat it.

edit: also the manga that i just read for this is really good, at least the first 90 or so chapters

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 28, 2015

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Red and White are the best sidekicks and Yamada should definitely do all the brilliant ideas they suggest to him.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

AfroSquirrel posted:

Red and White are the best sidekicks and Yamada should definitely do all the brilliant ideas they suggest to him.

It was at this exact point in the manga that I officially decided the sidekick characters owned.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

I am enjoy, but it doesn't show up on the simulcast list all the time so I have to see it in my bookmarks so that's a pain. Good thing I just [REMOVED]

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Interesting hearing these voice actors talk in a different way depending on who currently uses the body

its like everyone in the show has multiple personalities

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Jackard posted:

Interesting hearing these voice actors talk in a different way depending on who currently uses the body

its like everyone in the show has multiple personalities
This has to have been an auditioning nightmare, but ultimately fun as hell for the voice actors.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Twiddy posted:

This has to have been an auditioning nightmare, but ultimately fun as hell for the voice actors.

Nah, voice actors spend a lot of time doing impressions of each other anyway. Especially Shiraishi's voice actress, Hayami Saori, who has a long track record of borrowing other people's voices on radio shows.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I find the adaption disappointing after reading the manga for the first time. Urara as a character in the manga is a lot more head-strong, stand-offish, and bold. They even change key points like Urara declaring she'll go to college if Yamada does. In the anime they switch it around, so she goes from being a strong female lead to another 'Waifu' instead. It's a shame really given how her manga personality is more interesting.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

In this episode, we learn that being emotionally enslaved is preferable to being lonely! Also, digging the Ace Attorney-style music at the end.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This show makes me realize I'd like more women in anime if voice actresses laid off the cutesy stuff that I guess in cultural and instead took on a tone known for men.

That raspy voice with the rolling Rs is so much easier to listen to than the bubbly stuff.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Craptacular! posted:

This show makes me realize I'd like more women in anime if voice actresses laid off the cutesy stuff that I guess in cultural and instead took on a tone known for men.

That raspy voice with the rolling Rs is so much easier to listen to than the bubbly stuff.

The Improv sections of Tesagure Bukatsumono Spinoff are real interesting for this because the VAs drop their character a lot.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
I can't get enough of the OP and ED songs, they are great. Show's good too

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
In episode 4, Miyamura forces his wiener into Yamada's mouth.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

In episode 4, Miyamura forces his wiener into Yamada's mouth.

I was really surprised to see that happen. You don't really expect something like that from a show that looks like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I think if I had the power of telepathy I too would just repeat "boobs" into my friends' minds just to troll them.

• Locked thread