Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Meet Yamada. He's a punk!

Meet Shiraishi. She's a nerd!

Meet...Yamada again?

Meet Miyamura (or Miyamu for short!)

He's so gallant and dreamy!

Meet....YAMADA AGAIN?

WHAT'S GOING ON!?

SOMETHING WEIRD INDEED!

I'll tell you what's going on. It's the premise to Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches! A manga by Miki Yoshikawa (who did a goon favourite comic called Yanki-kun to Megane-Chan). Yoshikawa was an assistant under Hiro Mashima which is why her characters resemble Mashima's style.

Yamada & the Seven Witches is all about how a tough guy named Yamada happens to find out he can switch bodies with the girl who has some of the best grades in the school, Shiraishi! Except it doesn't just stop there, Yamada can swap bodies with way more people, and things get crazier from there! Yamada-kun is a series that lives and dies by its characters. The main cast really just clicks together and I find makes a pretty standard premise shine and become quite enjoyable. However, Yoshikawa has written A LOT of minor/side characters for the series which can drag things out a bit, but for anyone watching the anime. There really isn't much of a problem of happening. I still quite enjoy the manga for what its worth, and it must be somewhat popular because Kodansha has picked up the series for a physical manga release in North America. Volume 1 has recently become available. Yamada-kun was one of the original manga titles picked up by Crunchyroll, and current chapters are still being released to this day. You can read it here!

YAMADA-KUN AIRS SUNDAYS ON CRUNCHYROLL.

I ask that people PLEASE not spoil the manga in this thread, and try to refrain talking about it much to not deter people just coming into the anime. If you feel you must, be kind and label clearly that what your talking about is manga spoilers, but general rule of thumb would be best not to do it at all (until the anime finishes and this can maybe just also function as a manga thread then? If there's sufficient interest).

What makes the anime so fun?

The voice acting is pretty great for how Yamada and Shiraishi's VA's play around with their voice for when they have to act as the other, and they pay nice attention to body language.

Here's Yamada walking as Yamada.

Here's Yamada as Shiraishi

Here's Shiraishi as Yamada

The show is pretty great, and managed to match my expectations for an anime of the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I'm another who lost track of the manga after it started meandering. The first while, though, is pretty good, and the animation and especially the voice acting are really selling this, so I'll probably be watching it. A dozen episodes is certainly going to be restricted to the stronger portions of the manga, even if they rush things.

I re-read the first volume of the manga since Kodansha release it. The first episode of the anime cut out a lot of side-stuff that establishes how Shiraishi becomes more popular because Yamada beats up some punks as her. They were the ones that also then threatened Yamada/Miyamura. So the anime cut out a lot more fanservicey parts, and definitely has already started to streamline things.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
New episode up, and I'm pretty sure that this show is a VA's dream job. The animators are having a good time too with the little subtle changes like Ito as Yamada sleeping in a girlish pose after getting knocked out

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Looks like the adaptation is changing up the order in which it adapted things because I'm pretty sure this storyline happened before Ito even shows up. They really did manage to work it in pretty nicely though.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Horizontal Tree posted:

The pace really is crazy but its managing to follow the manga closely all things considered. I'm curious where they're going to end the season cause I can't see them going through the whole first Witch War Arc with only 12 episodes. With 24 they could do the whole first arc plus the memory loss arc and then make some minor changes to wrap it up nice and never get a sequel.

Yeah, I'm kind of wondering if the plan isn't to do a split cour series like Fate/Stay or something, because I don't see any good stopping points within 12 episodes unless they do some super rushing.

The show has been really good so far, so I really hope it keeps the pace its been going at.

• Locked thread