Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
OP are you convinced that you asked the right people your question yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Sergg posted:

It's almost as if people lack good judgement when choosing long-term mating partners and make spontaneous, ad-hoc decisions based on emotional reasons. We could find a million threads about men falling in love with extremely mentally ill women just because they were hot and/or available at the right time and place.

Yeah. reverse the genders and it's not even a question. Crazy men may be more dangerous on average than crazy women so it looks like a worse decision, but in terms of where they're comin from, it's the same thing I think

Scald
May 5, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 years!

swamp waste posted:

Yeah. reverse the genders and it's not even a question. Crazy men may be more dangerous on average than crazy women so it looks like a worse decision, but in terms of where they're comin from, it's the same thing I think

When bae gets crazy and grabs the knife it's certainly alarming, but significantly less so when you're bigger than her and can restrain her without getting cut to poo poo. That doesn't work if you swap genders, what the gently caress are you gonna do when War Machine comes knocking.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

Jeza posted:

Literally the first post in this poo poo thread is somebody saying women don't choose to be with "bad guys", but rather they sleepwalk into making that decision because of ~nebulous patriarchy~

"culture teaches women to [...]" reads as "women have no agency whatsoever when making bad decisions" in this guy's degenerate and atrophied brain

horribleslob
Nov 23, 2004
I think it's less "bad guys" and more "guys that do whatever they want."

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

I'm a mild-mannered goon with a middling career track in the medical field and I've made some hella crazy bad dating decisions in my life. Let me tell you about the 20 year old girl who carved "I HATE YOU" onto my bathroom wall with a knife while also cutting herself simply because I went to a group study session for a chemistry exam. She raped me when we broke up. Does this mean that I find bad girls attractive? Probably, but I currently possess the good sense to not have relationships with them anymore.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
If it's anything like my experience with crazy ladies it's because the crazy hosed up ones are the best in bed.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
This thread is just nonstop good advice. :pseudo:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Ormi posted:

"culture teaches women to [...]" reads as "women have no agency whatsoever when making bad decisions" in this guy's degenerate and atrophied brain

transgender league of legends player and D&D poster calling my brain degenerate and atrophied, smdh

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

wait wait wait. What if it's not that women are attracted to bad guys, what if it's that bad guys are attracted to women? :aaa:

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Jeza posted:

Literally the first post in this poo poo thread is somebody saying women don't choose to be with "bad guys", but rather they sleepwalk into making that decision because of ~nebulous patriarchy~

D&D posters are so loving terrible that they should get probated from threadshitting every time they post not in D&D.

Show me the place in that post in which he literally says that women don't choose to be with bad guys. I'll wait while you come up with some way to rationalize how the part where he doesn't say that is actually the part where he says that, or go off on a tangent about how you didn't mean "literally" and I'm being dumb for expecting you to say things you mean.

Literally the first response is saying that there are gender-based expectations in our society, and that women, as part of our society, are raised in a way to support the beliefs of that society, which is also literally the point of my posts, especially the part where I attempted to translate to the reactionary defensive fucks like you who heard patriarchy and went: "Wha- the patriarchy? But that sounds like I'm at fault! CAN'T BE!" what that word actually is referring to. Our society being male-centric is not some "liberal viewpoint" or whatever poo poo you have so firmly in your brain, this is actually part of how our society functions. Women demonstrably get the short end of the stick, and the messages we get bombarded with as we're raised and as we go about our adult lives tend to reinforce the traditional values of our society.
Are you literally retarded, or do you just so firmly identify with how you believe the world is that when people challenge it you literally poo poo yourself in excitement trying to defend it, and then you smear that poo poo all over your face, smash your face into the keyboard and produce posts like these?

btw I don't post in D&D, because I'd rather have no intelligent challenges to my arguments. Thanks for the assist!

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

surc posted:

Show me the place in that post in which he literally says that women don't choose to be with bad guys. I'll wait while you come up with some way to rationalize how the part where he doesn't say that is actually the part where he says that, or go off on a tangent about how you didn't mean "literally" and I'm being dumb for expecting you to say things you mean.

Literally the first response is saying that there are gender-based expectations in our society, and that women, as part of our society, are raised in a way to support the beliefs of that society, which is also literally the point of my posts, especially the part where I attempted to translate to the reactionary defensive fucks like you who heard patriarchy and went: "Wha- the patriarchy? But that sounds like I'm at fault! CAN'T BE!" what that word actually is referring to. Our society being male-centric is not some "liberal viewpoint" or whatever poo poo you have so firmly in your brain, this is actually part of how our society functions. Women demonstrably get the short end of the stick, and the messages we get bombarded with as we're raised and as we go about our adult lives tend to reinforce the traditional values of our society.
Are you literally retarded, or do you just so firmly identify with how you believe the world is that when people challenge it you literally poo poo yourself in excitement trying to defend it, and then you smear that poo poo all over your face, smash your face into the keyboard and produce posts like these?

btw I don't post in D&D, because I'd rather have no intelligent challenges to my arguments. Thanks for the assist!

lmao

surc
Aug 17, 2004

lol here's these postions on issues, oh poo poo dude made an argument I don't have a response to! Just post lmao just post lmao, it'll be cool I can keep my Ask/Tell cred.

E: Seriously at least make a burn on me or something, "lmao" isn't even funny, and I assume you don't have your looks going for you some you gotta go for something. :(

surc fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 20, 2015

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

surc posted:

especially the part where I attempted to translate to the reactionary defensive fucks like you who heard patriarchy and went: "Wha- the patriarchy? But that sounds like I'm at fault! CAN'T BE!" what that word actually is referring to.

From what I can tell from how it's used on this website, the meaning of the word patriarchy is "bogeyman who is responsible for everything bad happening to women ever".

Instead of actually pointing to and supporting one's claim regarding the particular groups or beliefs that are actually sexist towards or hold back women, people lazily use the p-word hoping that it will make their argument for them. Since they don't actually have to argue or explain themselves when they use it, it has an effect of obfuscating whatever issue they are talking about.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

silence_kit posted:

From what I can tell from how it's used on this website, the meaning of the word patriarchy is "bogeyman who is responsible for everything bad happening to women ever".

Instead of actually pointing to and supporting one's claim regarding the particular groups or beliefs that are actually sexist towards or hold back women, people lazily use the p-word hoping that it will make their argument for them. Since they don't actually have to argue or explain themselves when they use it, it has an effect of obfuscating whatever issue they are talking about.

Well, fair enough then, I retract probably like 90% of the snarky things I said in your direction. I don't think that's what the poster intended, but he'd have to pop in and say so himself for us to know. I hope my stance on and understanding of the definition of patriarchy has been made clear however, and I still totally think all of the poo poo that dude's gotten is within acceptable levels of poo poo-getting for the reasons I made in my previous post.

I stay out of GBS and D&D, so the only discussion of "the patriarchy" on here I see is in games (which is pretty lol), so I don't have whatever other context you have for people using the term on these forums. Without that context, none of those posts seem to be claiming the infallibility of women to me. :shrug:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

surc posted:

lol here's these postions on issues, oh poo poo dude made an argument I don't have a response to! Just post lmao just post lmao, it'll be cool I can keep my Ask/Tell cred.

E: Seriously at least make a burn on me or something, "lmao" isn't even funny, and I assume you don't have your looks going for you some you gotta go for something. :(

I can't post anything else, you saw so deeply into my character and life situation that I've been crying in a ball for 30 minutes.

The original question is honeypot as gently caress, and the first response is just standard D&D, doing a fly-by-wire threadshit while dropping patriarchy bombs. If you can't find the humour in a person asking why are women attracted to bad men, and the response they get boils down to: because of bad men, then that's just your loss.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Sergg posted:

Dear E/N,

I'm an overweight anti-social computer guy with Aspergers who seems normal if viewed under casual scrutiny and I met this really hot girl on OKCupid who is a beautiful snowflake and I'm going to move 4000 miles away to be with her. We play World of Warcraft together all the time and she thinks she can control the weather with her telepathic powers. Her life plan is to become the queen of an unspecified feudal fiefdom in the Appalachian mountains. I'm super in love with her for reasons completely unrelated to the fact that she is a 5'8", 125 pound hottie with a modeling profile on Facebook. The other day she mentioned something about "schizophrenia" and now she wants to join the Army. I'm really worried because I have already purchased a pair of horses for us.

Sincerely,
A Goon

Hm, I applaud you for swinging for the fences, but you struck out on this one IMO.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Jeza posted:

I can't post anything else, you saw so deeply into my character and life situation that I've been crying in a ball for 30 minutes.

The original question is honeypot as gently caress, and the first response is just standard D&D, doing a fly-by-wire threadshit while dropping patriarchy bombs. If you can't find the humour in a person asking why are women attracted to bad men, and the response they get boils down to: because of bad men, then that's just your loss.

:raise: I (and like 95% of the rest of the thread from what I can tell) came in and made fun of the OP while also at least kind of answering the question. I don't know how you got not finding humor in the situation from that. My point was that saying "lmao" is not a good burn, it's lazy poo poo that somebody pulls out when they don't have a valid point or anything actually witty to contribute, in an attempt to de-value the statement the other person was making. I was also humorously restating your position as a caricature so again I think you are confused about my ability to find humor in the situation.

E: And yes, I find drily explaining the joke I just made, in a post like this one, to be quite amusing. I don't have to have a good sense of humor to have a sense of humor.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Why did we make fun of the OP again?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Gatts posted:

Funny note, for some reason I can only take cereal with hot chocolate for milk. People suggested like almond milk to try but I dunno.

Decadent bougie pig. Guillotine.

horribleslob
Nov 23, 2004
They gently caress better.

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to
Because they can be very sexually appealing, especially if carrying themselves with a sense of self-assurance and confidence.

I'm really not sure why anyone would think it obvious that 'bad guys' are less attractive to women than 'good guys'.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

icantfindaname posted:

Decadent bougie pig. Guillotine.

Indeed. Only the finest Eastern European breastmilk and chocolate from the poorest village slave labor will do. Come at me 99%er!

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Gatts, there was a recent scandal because online breast milk retailers have been cutting their supplies with animal milk, so I hope you have it imported by somebody you trust.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

surc posted:

Gatts, there was a recent scandal because online breast milk retailers have been cutting their supplies with animal milk, so I hope you have it imported by somebody you trust.

Every borgie worth their salt has their own breast milk farm. Just called and they're pumping away.

(It is horrible to take this joke too far but I can't stop laughing at the concept and the Chappelle Show skit imaged in my mind)

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
This thread is beautiful.

OP: Why does this vague caricature exist for everyone ever?
:v: : [Huge generalization]
:o: : YOU'RE GENERALIZING! THE TRUTH IS REALLY [huge generalization in the opposite direction]
:v: : No, YOU'RE GENERALIZING! And it's stupid because [restate huge generalization].

Repeat ad nauseum.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Bitches often want a badass who they think they can tame down; the problem is that these dudes are often untamable. Often they are though and then they get pussywhipped into oblivion. Seen some close female friends get back with and then marry an ex who cheated on them, they use this as leverage I think.

Some people just love drama.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

tsa posted:

:lol: if you think "the patriarchy" exists outside the minds of braindead internet leftists.

True, it resides with other imaginary constructs racism and global warming.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Some people just love drama.

Bingo. People of both genders loving feed on the stuff. And they can find it under every pebble.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
There's way too many long posts in this thread. It's because they're cool and exciting. It's probably fun to be around them, as long as they're not dangerously bad.

It's a lot like the "wah wah why do girls like rich guys ugh. It's like doing fun things all the time is more fun than reading Calvin and hobs with me".

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

They're sexy OP

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What`s the homosexual perspective on this?
Do gay men tend to prefer abusive men who don`t give a gently caress? Do Lesbians prefer women with lovely personality traits?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've had some extremely bad girlfriends, but I'm a guy so it's clearly not an example of guys having bad taste, but of women being insane.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

quote:

If you know a dude has been in prison for +10 years and has a violent history and has scars from fights over the years all over his body in midst of the prison tattoos why would you choose to be anywhere near him?

What's wrong with these women? A lot of the women who are with convicts I've met aren't even lovely people.

Hmm, it's almost as if ex-cons can learn from their past mistakes and, though they may lack a clean appearance, actually turn into nice people that aren't harmful to society anymore. Weird!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Scathach posted:

Hmm, it's almost as if ex-cons can learn from their past mistakes and, though they may lack a clean appearance, actually turn into nice people that aren't harmful to society anymore. Weird!

This is not true, most of the time.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Baudolino posted:

What`s the homosexual perspective on this?
Do gay men tend to prefer abusive men who don`t give a gently caress? Do Lesbians prefer women with lovely personality traits?

I actually knew a lesbian whose girlfriend dumped her to go back to an ex-boyfriend. Her reaction was "gaahhh why do women get so obsessed with these guys who treat them like crap!?" I figured as a woman she'd know, but nope.

I used to be fully convinced that women had an instinctive craving to be treated badly. At one point, four of my friends were highly attractive women. One was in a sort of mono-poly relationship (she chose monogamy, but reluctantly accepted that he had a primary girlfriend who wasn't her.) The guy worked as a waiter, and was in a band. (She hated the band's music). Another was in love with her boyfriend, still saving up to get a one bedroom apartment with him, even after he'd cheated and gotten one of her roommates pregnant while sitting around unemployed, supported by her. Another who just straight up got slapped around by her boyfriend, and so on and so forth.

Later, I reckoned that, first, there was probably an element of coincidence in knowing those four all at once, and second, for women the time between deciding to dump someone and actually doing it can be measured in months. For men, it's more like minutes. Also, you generally don't listen to men whine about how horrible their girlfriends are. Married male abuse victims have traditionally been called "workaholics". I just don't hear as much about the guys who stick it out with lousy women.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Phyzzle posted:

you generally don't listen to men whine about how horrible their girlfriends are
Entire industries are built around men whining about their supposedly horrible girlfriends and especially spouses.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER

Sergg posted:

I'm a mild-mannered goon with a middling career track in the medical field and I've made some hella crazy bad dating decisions in my life. Let me tell you about the 20 year old girl who carved "I HATE YOU" onto my bathroom wall with a knife while also cutting herself simply because I went to a group study session for a chemistry exam. She raped me when we broke up. Does this mean that I find bad girls attractive? Probably, but I currently possess the good sense to not have relationships with them anymore.

gently caress the OP, I'm more interested in hearing about this situation. A guy I played rugby with in college had a girl that was kinda in our circle of friends creep into his room and start blowing him while he was asleep. He had repeatedly rebuffed her advances prior to this. He later said that he didn't know any other rape victims that came in their rapist's mouth.

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
Wait, you mean that rather than attributing the abusive, soul-crushing and traumatic relationship I had in my early 20s with a crazy drug-addicted psychopath of a woman to my naivety and bad judgement, and maybe re-evaluate the way I select my partners and how I relate to women in general, I can just blame the Matriarchy instead? Thanks, Internet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Axeman Jim posted:

Wait, you mean that rather than attributing the abusive, soul-crushing and traumatic relationship I had in my early 20s with a crazy drug-addicted psychopath of a woman to my naivety and bad judgement, and maybe re-evaluate the way I select my partners and how I relate to women in general, I can just blame the Matriarchy instead? Thanks, Internet!

I mean ...yeah, if you want to show off that you have absolutely no understanding of how our society works and send out giant warning signs that you are a bitter rear end in a top hat who considers himself the most important thing, you can do that.

(Protip: Remember how women actually had to fight for their right to vote, and to work, and they still get paid less than men in the same positions? Those are things that do not indicate a Matriarchy)

surc fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 28, 2015

• Locked thread