Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

JnnyThndrs posted:

I'm only an amateur historian, but my recollection is that both Germany and Japan had elements of democracy before WWII - the Weimar Republic was a parliamentary democracy and Japan also had an elected body of representatives - in practice the Emperor was not an absolute ruler.

On the Japan side of things, Japan had tried to create a democracy during the beginning of the Showa Era (WWI, a bit after WWI), but militarism and nationalism became dominant, giving the emperor/military shogunate control over almost all of the government. Military control coincided with Japan's annexation over most of Asia, before WWII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Pharnakes posted:

I would say that war exhaustion played a pretty big part in it too. Both nations had just suffered on the hard end of the largest war ever and nobody was in much mood for an insurgency. In Japan there was maybe more of a chance of resisting occupation, but after the war the US would not have tolerated any poo poo what so ever, and I'm sure that was made very clear. Plus they had just been nuked twice, which would settle anyone down I should think.

I think there probably wasn't really a major resistance to occupation. The war was already incredibly unpopular among many Japanese families before it ended. Recall that before the atom bombs were dropped, the United States executed many air raids across different major cities, including Tokyo, Nagoya, Kawasaki, and Okinawa. Many families were destroyed because the husband would be drafted into the military and die in on combat.

• Locked thread