Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I would say that war exhaustion played a pretty big part in it too. Both nations had just suffered on the hard end of the largest war ever and nobody was in much mood for an insurgency. In Japan there was maybe more of a chance of resisting occupation, but after the war the US would not have tolerated any poo poo what so ever, and I'm sure that was made very clear. Plus they had just been nuked twice, which would settle anyone down I should think. West Germany was also grateful to be rescued from the USSR and would have been very hesitant to do anything that might jeopardise that.

Compare that to the very fast, "clean" wars in Iraqi and Afghanistan, with the total destruction of the old regimes within weeks or less. I'm certainly not saying the coalition should have drawn it out into a 5 year slug fest with massive casualties and indiscriminate civilian bombing, but if that had happened people would probably be a lot more hesitant about joining an insurgency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread