Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Because most religions, in general, are not compatible with a liberal democracy. There's a reason most (if not all?) successful liberal democracy's have strong separations of church and state. You can have an official state sponsored religion, but that religion must be separate from the rule of law for a liberal democracy to work.

Agreed. It's not like Islam is unique in that regard. Protestants, Catholics, Hindus and Buddhists certainly had their own eras where their religions were simply incompatible with democracy. It's very difficult to have a representative system when you also have a special class of people that can unilaterally impose inviolable laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Orange Sunshine posted:

There's an important difference between Islam and Christianity in this regard, though. The bible was written by dozens of people over a thousand years, and then the 2nd half of it says you don't have to follow the first half of it. It's as far from a unified document as it could be, and as a result, no one knows how to interpret the thing. This allows Christianity to change with the times. The Koran, on the other hand, is the words of one man, and it contains explicit instructions on how to live every aspect of one's life and how everything should be done. The end result is that Muslims are required for all time to live like 7th century arabs.

Mmm, I don't think that's particularly true. Both texts are pretty much filled with apocryphal passages and there is plenty of room for disagreement on how they should be interpreted, and indeed what should be considered part of the "core text". Indeed Islamic scholars created a complicated system for identifying and rating the authenticity of passages because there was so much disagreement on what could actually be attributed to Mohammad. It comes down to how the concepts are interpreted, not the words of the texts themselves. Christianity certainly has had its periods of liturgical strictness as well as laxity.

• Locked thread