Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

WHAT THIS IS:
Calling is a 2009/2010 horror video game for Nintendo's Wii console. It received near-universally negative reviews from critics, but I can't help but love it. Just look at the clever logo!

STORY/PREMISE:
In Calling, you play as a girl name Rin (most of the time). After talking to some people in an online chat room called The Black Page, you're mysteriously spirited away to a place called the Mnemonic Abyss, from which there seems to be no escape. Don't worry, though, because you can call various phone numbers you find to warp to the corresponding phones. That's convenient!

HOW WE'RE PLAYING:
This will be a video LP with commentary with my girlfriend Amy. We're not going to play for 100% completion. All we're going for is fun and commentary, and a few surprises along the way. The game has some pretty interesting and unique features, and we're really excited to show them to everyone.

SPOILER POLICY:
Talking about certain features of the game is fine, and discussing the characters is fine, too. But please don't spoil the overarching story!

EPISODES:
Part 1: Double Violence for Teens
Part 2: Are You SURE It Won't Open?
Part 3: Enough With Introductions
Part 4: Ninja Lumberjack?
Part 5: Ghost Storage
Part 6: Surprisingly Kind Of Depressing
Part 7: Stupid Nurses, Teasing Children!
Part 8: Dancy and Anxious
Part 9: The End! (Not Really)
Part 10: It's Like I'm Johnny Deck
Part 11: Bum Rush
Part 12: My Cat Can Fly, Teach Yours How!
Part 12a: BONUS!
Part 13: Just, Like, A Bunch Of Faces
Part 14 (FINALE): Bathroom Pervert

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
You know what? The TV was dark enough that I hadn't even noticed that. But now I'm in the same boat as you are.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 2 is up, woooooo!

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 19, 2015

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 3!

Also, thanks for all the kind words; it means a lot to us.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 4's up. More mediocrity!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 5 is ready! We're in a hospital now. In a horror game! I AM BESIDE MYSELF WITH UTTER SHOCK.

So, a friend of mine and I are always talking about what we would do if we were the characters in these horror games. To be completely honest, I have no idea how I'd react; I suspect the adrenaline would take over and I'd immediately kick into survival mode and do what ever I had to do in order to make it out alive. My friend's answer is always that she'd kill herself, which is boring. What about all of you? How would you survive, or would it just be more desirable to end it all at the beginning?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

azren posted:

Hey, it's not their fault that their character can't be bothered to speak up.

Yeah, we tried to press a bunch of buttons. SHE'S the evil one, we're perfect angels!

Anyway, I agree with getting out of a dark place in a horror situation. I think sight is the most important of the five senses, and especially if something wants you dead, seeing is important. Just look at how important it is in Calling; if the light is merely dim, or maybe semi-bright, you can't do anything in that game!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 6 is live now!

The game takes an interesting turn in terms of tone here, and I actually really like it. This is about the point where I always feel myself starting to get invested in the story.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Ooh, that's actually a really good theory! I thought it was just that if someone didn't answer in time, you'd teleport, which was why it took so long for the screen to go dark when making a call. I like your idea a lot more.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
MY GOD. Welp, that mystery is solved.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 9 is up! This is kind of the "end" of the game, but we continue playing some new, unlockable chapters to get an alternate ending.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 10 is live! Going through the school again, but this time as Makoto. There's some Sadao and Makoto backstory here, which is always nice.

Lotish posted:

Glad that there's something after that ending, because it's not much of one.

Yeah, I agree, it was kind of a nothing ending. I'm also glad it wasn't just kept that way.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
WHOOP WHOOP, PART 11!

This episode shows one of the more ridiculous gameplay moments in Calling. I had actually forgotten what to do at first, because I was so used to actually needing to put thought into stealth situations. Silly me.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 12 is up now! The next video will have us exploring a previously unseen part of the game, so that's pretty cool. Also, there was a pretty crazy surprise at the end of this play session, and we wouldn't dream of denying all of you that same excitement!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Zain posted:

Well it's what you two are up too. If you got any more lesser known games - That's always a fun thing to watch. Though the calling might have drained you two after all that weirdness abound. Anything calling to you two?

There are a couple we have in mind, yeah. We're tossing some ideas around, but we definitely like the weird, lesser-known stuff the most. It seems like a lot of what we come up with is horror, since there are always a lot of good moments in those types of games, but I don't think we're looking to stick with just one genre.

Some that have come to mind are the Dark Fall series on the PC, Puppeteer on the PS3, and every PC game we can think of with a Dance Dance Revolution dance pad.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 27, 2015

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Niggurath posted:

You could always see if you could find and run this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikenie_no_Yoru. It's a Wii horror game that uses the Wii balance board. Or there's also the Ju-on Wii game that seemed super similar to the Calling.

Holy crap, there's a horror game that uses the balance board? I need to look into this.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
And so, we come to this: Part 14, the finale of the game, is up now.

Amy and I had a ton of fun doing this one, and we hope to be back very soon with something just as obscure. Thank you to everyone who stuck it out through the entire series, and we both hope that we were able to put a few smiles on your faces.

If you have any suggestions of any other games you'd like to see, let us know, and we'll see what we've got. Again, thank you so much, and we'll definitely be back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Edvarius posted:

I'm sure many of us will be watching you in the future. In the bathroom.

It's all I've ever wanted!

• Locked thread