Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
The scorpion will finally clinch an Emmy for Tatiana this year, mark my words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I was actually wondering during the waterboarding scene (which both Maslany and her stunt double both really were waterboarded for), if it was an Emmy bait scene.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
So in the first episode this season, Donnie remarks that they've got one house payment left. Now, he's talking that they may have to sell the house. For a guy who'se been out of work for about 3 days it seems like a pretty radical escalation of his situation.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Shneak posted:

The scorpion will finally clinch an Emmy for Tatiana this year, mark my words.

Is Tatiana actually doing the scorpion's voice? I'd be pretty amused if she were.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Dead Snoopy posted:

So in the first episode this season, Donnie remarks that they've got one house payment left. Now, he's talking that they may have to sell the house. For a guy who'se been out of work for about 3 days it seems like a pretty radical escalation of his situation.

I could be wrong, but I thought they had enough money saved up to make one more mortgage payment, not one more until the house is paid off.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Xtanstic posted:

Is Tatiana actually doing the scorpion's voice? I'd be pretty amused if she were.
All I heard from the first time it spoke was Cosima putting on a bad puppet show. It's definitely her.

quote:

The Clone Club's newest member may look deadly, but is actually rather comforting.

On Orphan Blackthis season, Helena (Tatiana Maslany) has been a prisoner at the mercy of Project Castor, but she hasn't been lonely despite being separated from her sestras. That's because she has Pupok, a talking black scorpion, whom we first met in the premiere. Co-creator Graeme Manson tells TVGuide.com, "When I first heard the scorpion idea, I was like, 'A scorpion?' [Co-creator John Fawcett] said, 'No, a talking scorpion.' And then I was on board."

A talking scorpion is kooky enough, but once one learns that "Pupok" means "bellybutton" in Ukrainian, that reaches new heights of wacky. Since this is Helena, though, we'll go with it. But what is Pupok exactly?

"It started with this funny idea that we would have an imaginary spirit animal for Helena," Fawcett says. "We thought maybe it would speak Ukrainian to her and that we would subtitle the scorpion." Thankfully, that did not happen.

Manson adds, "Only Helena sees her scorpion. It would be, like, her intuition, her inner wisdom or the good angel versus the bad angel .. But the scorpion is not new in Helena's life... Pupok appeared to her when she was quite young as a child and was trying to deal with surviving the torture of the nuns back in the convents in Ukraine. It became her guidance and her strength."

Pupok has given Helena a pep talk while she was imprisoned in her crate ("Nobody said it would be easy, kiddo.") and drooled over the possibility of mangoes. And if the voice of Pupok sounds familiar, there's a reason: Maslany added the scorpion to the many roles she plays on the show. "Tatiana is doing the voice of the scorpion as well," Fawcett says. "We talked to her very early on... to create a sound that you could hear the scorpion before you saw it, so you knew it was around. I had this idea that the scorpion would kind of purr, partly like a cat and a velociraptor. The clicking and the purring and all of these different sounds that normally would be sound design and sound effects guys ... Tat has created all of those sounds herself."

Providing the voice for a scorpion is nothing, however, compared to the reality of working with a live arachnid. "We had a scorpion wrangler and auditioned a number of scorpions. I've never worked with a scorpion before," Fawcett confesses. "It was all just us going, 'Wouldn't it be great? This is a hilariously cool idea. Have you done that before? Nope,' So it could have gone very sideways on us. It's not easy to shoot with a scorpion, but it's not the hardest thing either. This little dude turned out to be a pretty good actor."

His co-star also seemed to appreciate the scorpion's abilities. "We were lucky that Tat was as cool about the scorpion as she was," Fawcett adds. "The scorpion became Tat's little buddy. She actually got really comfortable handling it. I think she really likes her scorpion."

Be prepared to see more of Pupok in the future. "This is a character that we want to explore just like any other character," says Fawcett. Manson adds, "There's an arc, but I think we have to leave it at that."

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Will Pupok be the name of Helena's child?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Illinois Smith posted:

All I heard from the first time it spoke was Cosima putting on a bad puppet show. It's definitely her.

Geez not only did I not recognize Tat, but I also falsely attributed the scorpion as CGI. I feel stupid. Pupok is the best though.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
Really glad Donnie is on the team.

Fist me.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

I just found out Hot Topic has an Orphan Black collection and it's...seriously not bad.

Why am I so old/an adult :negative:

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

13Pandora13 posted:

I just found out Hot Topic has an Orphan Black collection and it's...seriously not bad.

I said the same thing.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

13Pandora13 posted:

They have a Penny Dreadful one now too. Pretty cunning.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Lycus posted:

Fist me.

It's crazy how much better this show is during storylines that aren't about the conspiracies upon conspiracies.
That's one of the things I continue to love about this show. I appreciate the writers recognize that the show cannot support itself as 100% conspiracy angst. It always nurtures a kooky B plot that reminds us the girls are not just clones, but people - extremely shortsighted, silly, frequently drunk and high people. It's mostly Allison in charge of these, because as a non-murderous, non-scientist, her life is the most removed from the conspiracy.

As for Delphine's sudden take-charge return, I can see where she's coming from. As others have mentioned before, she saw Leekie as the lesser of two evils who was genuinely invested in Cosima's recovery. But Leekie died (by Rachel's hand, as Delphine believes) and Delphine was forced to stand by and watch as Rachel intentionally hosed around with Cosima's health in order to stick it to Sarah, destroyed the stem cells, tried to steal Sarah's ovaries, and basically tried to burn down the entire house of cards because she couldn't be a mummy, boo hoo.

Sure, Delphine's suddenly throwing her weight around - but that's because she's desperately trying to put out all the fires Rachel started before Topside gets wind of them. And as the pilot demonstrated, Delphine's suspicions were completely correct: Rachel had been planning to murder the other clones behind Dyad's back.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

KPC_Mammon posted:

I could be wrong, but I thought they had enough money saved up to make one more mortgage payment, not one more until the house is paid off.

I thought I heard it my way but maybe I misunderstood. Your way makes more sense.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
That's uh... A new project. Very fresh

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The chick that plays Helena is crushing it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rocksicles posted:

The chick that plays Helena is crushing it.

She's not as good as the girl playing Alison :colbert:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

macnbc posted:

I was actually wondering during the waterboarding scene (which both Maslany and her stunt double both really were waterboarded for), if it was an Emmy bait scene.

Jesus Christ really? Wasn't it just Helena in that scene why would they need to actually water board the double? Why would they need to water board Tatiana, there has got to be a way to shoot that scene without literally torturing the star. Like literal, no bullshit torture. What in the flying gently caress?!

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
It's not quite torture if you do it willingly, can call it to stop at any time, know it's just a one time thing and have trained medics on hand and know that it won't actually harm you and that it's all a tv show and not a real prisoner situation, which would make it a million times more terrifying. It's just a brief very unpleasant experience. People have subjected themselves to worse for acting and/or thrills. She probably had the option to veto that scene too i'd bet and chose to go through with it.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Haven't there been far right pundits that volunteered to undergo water boarding who freaked the gently caress out under the same conditions?

Edit http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/22/mancow-waterboarded-video_n_206906.html That's who I'm thinking of

I suppose they could have done it where her body wasn't slanted which I guess is how it really fucks you up?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 10:23 on May 3, 2015

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Haven't there been far right pundits that volunteered to undergo water boarding who freaked the gently caress out under the same conditions?

Edit http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/22/mancow-waterboarded-video_n_206906.html That's who I'm thinking of

I suppose they could have done it where her body wasn't slanted which I guess is how it really fucks you up?
Perennial shithead Christopher Hitchens lasted about 17 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LPubUCJv58

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Yeah it can be terrifying and poo poo but they can do camera tricks to make it less scary like you said, and a brief terrifying experience that you expect and can stop at any time isn't real torture. The thing that makes waterboarding torture is having it done to you against your will and you can't make it stop. It's not like they pulled out the pins and needles, waterboarding seems like it's largely about just scaring the living poo poo out of you which means you can mitigate how bad it is.

I'd almost expect that the buffoons who talk about it not being torture to have a harder time with it since they don't expect it to be as scary as it is, so they can't psych themselves up for it properly.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Another BoyClone bites the dust. So... How many are left? The one with the quiff in his hair?

Eh, I only care about Alison right now

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slamhound posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LPubUCJv58

Christopher Hitchens was a motherfucking national treasure, in two nations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Andrew_1985 posted:

Another BoyClone bites the dust.

No body, no crime :colbert:

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Have they already answered what the hell the WonderBros wanted with their unlucky lady's hair sample?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Don't know if there's anyone else from Toronto here but I appreciated that the midwife apparently works at Dangerous Dan's.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
There better be unlimited Castor clones just so Helena can call each of them ugly.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

flashy_mcflash posted:

Don't know if there's anyone else from Toronto here but I appreciated that the midwife apparently works at Dangerous Dan's.

Isn't she also Tatiana's double?

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

flashy_mcflash posted:

I also used to enjoy taking the TTC past the Dyad Institute/Bridgepoint Health everyday on my way to work. And Cal's new apartment was on Queen near Sumach.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Wolpertinger posted:

It's not quite torture if you do it willingly, can call it to stop at any time, know it's just a one time thing and have trained medics on hand and know that it won't actually harm you and that it's all a tv show and not a real prisoner situation, which would make it a million times more terrifying. It's just a brief very unpleasant experience. People have subjected themselves to worse for acting and/or thrills. She probably had the option to veto that scene too i'd bet and chose to go through with it.
I remember reading somewhere that Diane Kruger, the gal from Inglourious Basterds who was strangled by Hans Landa, was actually strangled, on camera.

....by Quentin Tarantino. :stare:

Also RIP Mark, the only one of the BoyClones I actually cared about (...he was sweet to Gracie...)

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

flashy_mcflash posted:

I loved that, they film in the area a lot. I remember when Kira was hit by a car in front of an espresso place I go to all of the time, and I bike past DYAD on the way to work almost every day.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Slamhound posted:

Maybe I'm not meta enough and getting the joke, but why exactly is Christopher Hitchens some perennial shithead? I think you're just a stupid religious troll. Maybe it was a double joke and I'm the idiot. :downs: It felt real though, and I do not like you.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

AnimeJune posted:

....by Quentin Tarantino. :stare:

gently caress that, waterboard me instead as long as it isn't Tarantino doing it

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
Renewed!

https://twitter.com/OrphanBlack/status/596307451617513472

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
They must finally be paying her by the clone

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Tatiana Maslany is doing (or did) a reddit AMA.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/357jy1/tatiana_maslany_ama/

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Man, tonight's show had some of the most messed up stuff I've seen on non-premium TV.

This show is crazy!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This season has started to become quite compelling. I'm actually liking the Castors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Sestra prison break :dance: next week

• Locked thread