Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Aww they found Jesse. One of the Castors is going to kill him aren't they? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
Lol a giant pit of acid

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Geez S. Is ice cold

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
You will be sorry when I slice your bicep :black101:

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005

DarklyDreaming posted:

You will be sorry when I slice your bicep :black101:

Jesus

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
What the gently caress

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
You might want to push off now this is not meant to be pleasant :stare:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Haha Jesus Christ. Piling on another conspiracy is classic orphan black so I can't complain. Plus having Ferdinand on the clone team is hilarious.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah Ferdinand went from being a weird little turd to being awesome in a scene. Also the extra layer of conspiracy is obnoxious but the weird bodysnatcher earwig and Ferdinand's innate hatred of the Neolutionists did help sell it for me.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
babka owns and good on Helena for sharing it with the clone club

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
Good finale song

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
WTF was with that mind control worm thing? And who would have thought the Neolution plotline would return?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

WTF was with that mind control worm thing?

I'd also like to know this. Is there some foreshadowing I missed here or was it supposed to be completely out of left field?

eke out fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 21, 2015

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

ekeog posted:

I'd also like to know this. Is there some foreshadowing I missed here or was it supposed to be completely out of left field?

For a second, I thought he was biting down on a cyanide tablet, then I got a weird Stargate Goa'uld analogy, then I finally remembered there was that one Neolution guy with a tail in S1.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Xtanstic posted:

For a second, I thought he was biting down on a cyanide tablet, then I got a weird Stargate Goa'uld analogy, then I finally remembered there was that one Neolution guy with a tail in S1.

I thought cyanide too. Here's an interview with the showrunner, though:

Fawcett: "[For] me, [the worm is] another thing that I wanted to introduce. A new turn, a new way to explore the science in 'Orphan Black.' And it's kind of a mystery. It's like this creepy, gross, weird, horrible, scary thing that happened to Delphine and to the audience and there is no answer. I like that. I like that the audience is going, 'What the f*** was that?' ... We're setting things up for Season 4."

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah Ferdinand went from being a weird little turd to being awesome in a scene. Also the extra layer of conspiracy is obnoxious but the weird bodysnatcher earwig and Ferdinand's innate hatred of the Neolutionists did help sell it for me.
This sums up my feelings.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well, I liked this finale a ton more than last year's. It actually a lot of satisfying resolutions even though they're setting up Yet More Conspiracies. In fact, it's not as much a new conspiracy as it is picking up a dangling thread from season 1 that was never really resolved, so even this new set-up felt like a bit of a resolution.

So are Cosima and Mark still gonna die in agony or what. They have Kendall's DNA, but they can't give it to DYAD now and don't really mention anything else about it.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I hope next season starts off with the SHOCKING TWIST that Tow Truck Jesse is a quadruple agent for DYAD, Castor, the cult people and the guys with worms in their mouths.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm gonna call it: the worms are the ones running the Neolutionists, and they can jump from body to body (Ferdinand compared the Neolutionists to ticks, but they're more like yerks). They can also inhabit dead bodies, hence Professor Duncan both dying in front of her husband and still being alive now.

Also, they'll infect Delphine's dead body and run around inside it.

(Or whatever. I do hope the show will take a few cues from the Resident Evil school of body horror, and have a ridiculous flesh beast or two. That'd be aces.)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
And I bet Delphine's killer is Shay, because of that "what happens to her now" line.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Dr. Coady was driving Beth Childs' Jaguar when she got the call from Mark, same type and same numberplate. OMG BETH IS COADY !!!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

God drat Ferdinand owns. I am totally down with some truly utterly insane Neolutionist insanity.

I'm prepared to eat my words at the end of next season, but I think the Neolutionists seem like they are set up to be the final villains. I like the reveal of them way better than the reveal of Castor because it was set up much better and fits into the mythology of the show that we already know. Especially since their possible leader is Rachel's mother who we already knew existed, just not what happened to her.

All in all I really liked this season. Way better than season 2 and I'm totally pumped for season 4.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I just hope the show does not add aliens to the mix.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
"You, ah, might want to push off now, this is, uh, not going to be pleasant... Oh, stop whining!"

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Kesper North posted:

"You, ah, might want to push off now, this is, uh, not going to be pleasant... Oh, stop whining!"
Yeah that part was equally dark and hilarious, especially how Ferdinand went from being mostly reserved to just full on batshit insane.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

This season really has gone from meh to amazing. gently caress I love this show.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
It was nice seeing the clones have the upper hand for most of the finale. Even ~~new conspiracies~~ didn't really hamper their progress in the storyline, just extended it further to some insane last season.

They renewed for just season 4, yeah?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

Ferdinand's innate hatred of the Neolutionists did help sell it for me.

Just boiling hatred. Just hearing the name was enough to cause a flash point where he completely dropped into primal rage and realized he was being hosed with.

Also is it just me or is Sigur Ros basically cheating at soundtracks?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I think it's a testament to how great the clone stuff is that the dinner scene was so seamlessly shot that it's gone uncommented by everyone.

Like, there was one actress in 4 different roles simultaneously interacting with others and herself. :psyduck:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Which do you like better: dinner scene or dance party?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I hope it turns out that Orphan Black is actually a prequel to that Star Trek episode where Starfleet was being infiltrated by the mind control worms.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Kin posted:

I think it's a testament to how great the clone stuff is that the dinner scene was so seamlessly shot that it's gone uncommented by everyone.

Like, there was one actress in 4 different roles simultaneously interacting with others and herself. :psyduck:

I mean half of us in this thread are constantly forgetting that Tatianna is playing all these different characters.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Which do you like better: dinner scene or dance party?

Dance party

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Kin posted:

Holy Leda he's right :aaaaa:

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm gonna call it: the worms are the ones running the Neolutionists, and they can jump from body to body (Ferdinand compared the Neolutionists to ticks, but they're more like yerks). They can also inhabit dead bodies, hence Professor Duncan both dying in front of her husband and still being alive now.

Also, they'll infect Delphine's dead body and run around inside it.

(Or whatever. I do hope the show will take a few cues from the Resident Evil school of body horror, and have a ridiculous flesh beast or two. That'd be aces.)

Hahaha it would be the greatest troll of all time if this show just ended up being an extended prequel to Animorphs. (fun fact - I watched the terrrrrible TV show as well)

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

AnimeJune posted:

Hahaha it would be the greatest troll of all time if this show just ended up being an extended prequel to Animorphs. (fun fact - I watched the terrrrrible TV show as well)

Having the Neolutionists be a group of aliens set on turning humanity into the perfect weapon would be just the right amount of crazy for this show and I seriously hope that's what it is.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I don't think I quite understand all the different motivations of the various factions, but I'm also not even sure if that matters. It's fun just watching Tatiana and the rest of the cast interact with crazy things.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It definitely gets pretty hard to suss out just who the frok is on what side and the fruk they really want, but this season actually seemed to clarify a lot of the more absurd conspiracies going on, and it all honestly just comes down to a bunch of similarly shady groups with the same dire case of "Ends justify the means!" syndrome.

Dyad -- aka Leda -- is just in it for the money. They want to patent the science, patent the technology, patent the clones themselves. Imagine stem cell research magnified by tenfold; the science of these clones could cure diseases and halt aging, and it would all be under the control of DYAD. But they can't do that if the science is flawed and the clones themselves get sick and die, which is why they even care at all about curing them.

The military -- aka Castor -- is in the business of war. Not only are they interested in clone soldiers, but the fact that this science could cause brain disease in men and cervical cancer in women is what has them really excited. They're...probably...working on cures since they want healthy soldiers, but their first priority has always been to weaponize the technology.

Neolutionists, who are apparently the super big shady conspirators behind both Leda and Castor, are basically transhumanists. The want humanity to "evolve" by genetically modifying themselves into something else. Leekie (who get hella killed by Donnie) was a Neolutionist. I...don't really know why they'd be evil other than the fact that they just kinda are, I guess.

And Prolethians are just religious nutjobs that think clones are sinful abominations and so forth.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
That's a great writeup and shows an attention to detail which frankly I haven't had to this point. This is my problem with (nearly) all science fiction shows - I am not interested in the plot, I am interested in the characters. We start with a premise - these women discover that they are clones, and discover each other. The writers think I want to know how they were cloned and what that means. I just want to know how it affects their lives. Give me more "Beth is actually Helena" scenes and less Castor scenes. Hell, I am sure the guy playing the male clone is a fine, upstanding citizen who donates to numerous worthy charities, but every time he comes on my screen I hope he dies so that they have to write out that entire story.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Orphan Black is definitely guilty of forgetting there was a metaphor or analogy to be made and pushed it away to :techno: the crap out of everything. It's kinda fallen into a trap where they :techno:'d so hard they have to, in some perverted way, see it through.

Thank god the show has actual decent characters and sometimes the writers get slapped upside the head and are reminded of it because it could've devolved into much worse. S3 was a fairly good course correct all things considered.

The whole metaplot of conspiracies upon conspiracies just exists now and bores me more than other whatevers most people might hate about the show. Well, the conspiracy plot sort of weaves back into the show's overall metaphor, it's just that it's lost in all the noise because the creators probably thought they could make all the factions who want to get their hands on Leda clones more confusing and obtuse than it should be. Especially season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
In some way, we shouldn't be surprised that the Neolutionists came back eventually. I mean, Leeky was one of them and heading DYAD. The contrast between cheap nightclubs and pyramid suites is a little jarring, tho.

• Locked thread