Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I started playing it for the first time a couple of months back and I never noticed anything to suggest any of that. I did turn the lovely music off though so maybe that was the main giveaway?

The default character is literally a Christian priest who quotes the bible with every other line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I've no idea if he's the default, but I sure don't remember a non-stop tirade of bible quotes.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Gromit posted:

I've no idea if he's the default, but I sure don't remember a non-stop tirade of bible quotes.

That's hyperbole, a large portion of his idle and trader lines are quotes from the bible, which are both the longest lines and the lines you hear the most.

He became the default character after the DLC characters were added. Ana was originally the default for the longest time until she got moved out of it, for some reason. Any time you entered a pub, half of your team was usually Alberts.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Theta Zero posted:

The default character is literally a Christian priest who quotes the bible with every other line.

Default on my PS+ version was DJ Scully when I fired it up for the first time so that might explain why I didn't notice.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Default on my PS+ version was DJ Scully when I fired it up for the first time so that might explain why I didn't notice.

Fair enough, I forgot Killing Floor 2 was even on consoles.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Always knew about the CEO plugging the soundtrack full of Christian butt metal but always chalked it up to some lame Youth Pastor type poo poo.

Lmao at KF being a Christian game though, some serious brainworms there. Can’t say I’ll ever reinstall again however.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Theta Zero posted:

That's hyperbole, a large portion of his idle and trader lines are quotes from the bible, which are both the longest lines and the lines you hear the most.

OK, I'll take your word for that. A friend plays that character all the time but I have the character chatter turned all the way down so don't really hear anything. I pulled up a video of all the dialogue but it goes for 25 minutes and when I jumped through it I only heard one line that sounded like a bible quote.

Anyway, my point essentially is that I never got any sort of Christian focus vibe from the game but I'm also pretty unobservant. I get more of a satanic feel from it, really, considering some of the stuff you see in the maps.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I've played many many hundreds of hours of KF1 and 2 and never got a Christian feel from it ever. The music was all from Christian bands but didn't have lyrics and you had to search out who they were to know it.

It's ok if this is the breaking point for people. This was my favorite series but I'm never spending money on TWI again.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

For what it's worth, it looks like he's out as CEO. New interim effective immediately.

https://www.tripwireinteractive.com/#/news/tripwire-appoints-new-interim-ceo-alan-wilson

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1435045506779070466?s=20

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1435047562214576128?s=20

Yup, good riddance

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
That's a pretty fast turnaround from "gently caress around" to "find out"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Propaganda Hour posted:

Speedrun career suicide winner

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Propaganda Hour posted:

I know Tripwire games were already getting review-bombed on Steam so I wonder if the immediate backlash caused a quick response or if a large portion of the Tripwire team rebelled.

Probably both, although mostly the former especially with the new update dropping probably by the end of the month and those expected sales with the new weapon bundles.

Also, I find it hilarious he had his own band provide music for the game and most if not all of it was provided by Christian bands. Even with vocals on I never noticed the lyrics and Collapsing was the only song I liked enough to look up outside the game.

Also also, the KF discord was kind of muted on the news of him stepping down. There was more discussion and sooner when John made the actual comments, but the majority opinion seems to be "he has a right to say it but he should've known better" and some people think Alan is going to be a better CEO anyways.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

KF1 had music from Six Feet of Foreplay, a goon band who were sick and definitely not christian given that the songs were all about sex zombies. it was KF2 where they added music from shitheads like Demon Hunter, who are freak operator worshippers who initially got media attention for saying they WANTED their music used to torture people at gitmo, after a bunch of metal bands said they were gonna sue the government for using their music to do that.

basically all the music that isnt by uh zynthetic in KF2 is dogshit, five finger death punch style bargain basement metalcore, which is how you can tell it was chosen for ideological, rather than taste, reasons.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Does it matter if he's CEO or not? He's still co-owner, right?

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
Correct. Until there's a radical restructuring they ain't getting a loving thin dime from me.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Shipwright apparently has been so overwhelmed with hate mail that they've redone their contact page such that you can't send them a message without also causing them to donate at least $5 to the Lilith Fund, which provides funding and assistance to people who need abortions. That's a neat bit of trolling, tbh.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

juggalo baby coffin posted:

basically all the music that isnt by uh zynthetic in KF2 is dogshit, five finger death punch style bargain basement metalcore, which is how you can tell it was chosen for ideological, rather than taste, reasons.

Zynthetic is loving great though. I still listen to some of the Unreal Tournament-era Zynth tracks.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Pope Guilty posted:

Shipwright apparently has been so overwhelmed with hate mail that they've redone their contact page such that you can't send them a message without also causing them to donate at least $5 to the Lilith Fund, which provides funding and assistance to people who need abortions. That's a neat bit of trolling, tbh.

:perfect:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's badass, way to put your money where other people's mouths are :getin:

I played KF1 almost daily from 2010 to 2012 then less frequently right up until KF2 launched. And then I played a poo poo ton of KF2 but like many others I haven't started it up in a long time and until this guy's name is off the lease I can't see that changing. We had a good run :sadwave:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I mean if they went to the trouble of ousting him as CEO I imagine they're going to try and get rid of him as a co-owner too

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008
Does anyone know of a fast paced/difficult server? I used to play on a KF1 server that had the "!rtd" function, that would turn otherwise fairly perdestrian/boring games into ones where there was some danger you might actually lose the round.. It was great fun, but the server appears to have died. I've tried a few KF2 servers in the hopes of finding something, but it honestly feels even less dangerous than KF1... Literally the entire server sitting back whislt no danger occurs for hours on end. Fair enough if you enjoy it but is anyone aware of a (presumably modded) server that offers something different?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
It's been a long time since I cracked open KF1, but towards the end of it's run I was also on some of those modded servers. I think I even worked up a keybind that would send !rtd to the chat so I could trigger it more easily and accidentally spawn 10 FPs, OOPS!

Also KF2 is free on Epic this week, for the negative one million people still reading this thread who also don't have the game yet.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6Yq3fBkDTA

both barrels for you bastards

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

I'd really like some newer mechanics, and customizable guns with options of flashlights or various mags or sights to personalize them. Also daytime maps.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Interesting. KF1 was one of my most played games right up until KF2 launched, and while I spent a good deal of time there as well I did eventually lose interest and stop playing. Doesn't look like it from the trailer but I hope they work back in some of the comedic charm of the first game, dropping all the cockney slang and sassy weapon merchant felt like a step back.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I havent played this game in a couple years. Do people playing the firebug class still get kicked out of sessions?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

ChocNitty posted:

I havent played this game in a couple years. Do people playing the firebug class still get kicked out of sessions?

In 1? Firebug is fairly usable with the weapons they gave it, especially since they nerfed some of the stronger classes on harder difficulties.

In 2? Firebug is borderline essential on the hardest difficulties.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Theta Zero posted:

In 1? Firebug is fairly usable with the weapons they gave it, especially since they nerfed some of the stronger classes on harder difficulties.

In 2? Firebug is borderline essential on the hardest difficulties.

Firebug + the skill that lets you set the ground on fire + Dragon's Breath shogun is a beautiful thing. It's that and the regular Flamethrower for most of the match for me.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was a fan of the FB perk that gave you Matrix speed and infinite ammo during Zed Time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnCFp7ii-lg

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Is anybody actually playing? I've been on the beta the last few days trying to get some of the seasonal stuff done and there's just... nobody at all, ever, in the online match system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

Is anybody actually playing? I've been on the beta the last few days trying to get some of the seasonal stuff done and there's just... nobody at all, ever, in the online match system.

Could just be the beta; a lot of people don't bother opting in. Now that the event is live there should be an uptick in the player count, but the game is 8+ years old now and fairly dead so I wouldn't count on a huge increase.