Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

echronorian posted:

I guess I'm just wondering if it's going to be very well supported, I looked it up and PC is still the lead platform. I don't think tripwire has done a console game before. I played a lot of the original on PC and the regular updates and attention it got from tripwire was great, just trying to find out how dedicated they are to the console version.

No game that has the PC as it's main platform will ever be on par or better on consoles, I don't know what you're expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

echronorian posted:

I guess I'm just wondering if it's going to be very well supported, I looked it up and PC is still the lead platform. I don't think tripwire has done a console game before. I played a lot of the original on PC and the regular updates and attention it got from tripwire was great, just trying to find out how dedicated they are to the console version.

Given the patches rules that consoles have its better for them to test and iron out game balance on the PC which allows for constant updates first. I'm guessing once they have all 10 perks and zeds balanced out they'll work on PS4 specific bugs and then release the game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anyone know the shelf life of non-AAA, multiplayer focused shooters on consoles, anyway? Be interested in looking at the stats.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 20, 2015

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
[In Beavis voice]: Uhhuhhh, so.. so.. TF2 is coming out for the XBOX 360 huhuh.. think it's gonna get as much support as the huhuhuh PC Release

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Mordja posted:

Anyone know the shelf life of non-AAA, multiplayer focused shooters on consoles are, anyway? Be interested in looking at the stats.

I dunno but half my psn friends are still playing Warframe and Helldivers.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

echronorian posted:

I dunno but half my psn friends are still playing Warframe and Helldivers.

Yeah, but Warfarm's free and Helldiver is still pretty new. I'm thinking stuff like CS:GO and Payday 2.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Holy poo poo I am so goddamn hype for tomorrow, I am going to play straight till I have to go to work. This is gonna be the best birthday present ever.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Mordja posted:

Yeah, but Warfarm's free and Helldiver is still pretty new. I'm thinking stuff like CS:GO and Payday 2.

Payday 2 is popular but cs:go died on arrival from poor support

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I understand this may be way too soon to ask this question, but will experience gained during SEA carry over after release? It sounds lame of me, but I'd probably hold off until release if the answer is 'no', I don't want to grind twice.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mordja posted:

Doorframe is also pretty close to AAA and it's not technically out yet either, although at this point I'm pretty sure "it's a beta you guys" is just sort of a running joke the developer uses to explain how hilariously buggy it is. The thing is held together by bits of thread and nose hair.

Not sure if I'll be grabbing the EA of KF2 but I'll definitely get the full version at some point. The quality of the beta completely sold me on it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Chard posted:

I understand this may be way too soon to ask this question, but will experience gained during SEA carry over after release? It sounds lame of me, but I'd probably hold off until release if the answer is 'no', I don't want to grind twice.

Then don't grind, just play the game :v: I don't understand everyone freaking out about how long they think it will take to level up, I was actually disappointed when I hit lv6 everything in KF because it removed a big 'carrot' for me. Guess I like having goals to work towards, as long as they're not ridiculous like 3000 Stalker kills, which it sounds like they're avoiding this time around.

Do we know what skins they're launching with? I can only hope that by the non-SEA launch there's a skin for each class so I can play dress up like in the first game (welder for Support, hazmat suit for Firebug etc...).

Ghost of St Helens
Oct 11, 2007
Please tell me Paramedic Alfred Anderson is coming back as a skin

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Mordja posted:

Anyone know the shelf life of non-AAA, multiplayer focused shooters on consoles, anyway? Be interested in looking at the stats.

From my understanding, quite good. The population of Titanfall fell off much quicker on PC than on console. That said, with games that are consistently updated and support modification the PC community ends up with a much longer tail. Just look at the success of TF2, L4D, and Payday 2 to see that.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

Then don't grind, just play the game :v: I don't understand everyone freaking out about how long they think it will take to level up, I was actually disappointed when I hit lv6 everything in KF because it removed a big 'carrot' for me. Guess I like having goals to work towards, as long as they're not ridiculous like 3000 Stalker kills, which it sounds like they're avoiding this time around.

Totally fair, which is why I used as many weasel words as I could fit into that post. I'll cop to being one of those "numbers go up" people even though I know it's silly. Grind was probably the wrong word to try to say what I meant.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Brackhar posted:

From my understanding, quite good. The population of Titanfall fell off much quicker on PC than on console. That said, with games that are consistently updated and support modification the PC community ends up with a much longer tail. Just look at the success of TF2, L4D, and Payday 2 to see that.

To be slightly Master Racist for a second, I wonder if it is just because PC gamers are spoilt for choice anymore with so many indie/pc exclusive games getting pushed out for us compared to console releases. I know I didn't stop playing titan fall because it got boring, I stopped because something new came out

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

I played KF 1 today for the first time since I got into the beta and it actually felt old. Kind of a bittersweet feeling.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I played KF 1 today for the first time since I got into the beta and it actually felt old. Kind of a bittersweet feeling.

It is a 6 year old game that was a modded version of Unreal 2004. As upsetting as it is, it is an old rear end game at this point. A great game, but old none-the-less.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

To be slightly Master Racist for a second, I wonder if it is just because PC gamers are spoilt for choice anymore with so many indie/pc exclusive games getting pushed out for us compared to console releases. I know I didn't stop playing titan fall because it got boring, I stopped because something new came out

Part of it is console parity. I don't know if Titanfall had it but with Evolve the PC has to wait for a console patch even though there is literally no reason to and it's a factor in 2K killing it. The inverse of this is Payday 2 in which PC users got more content than they could ever want and the console versions were pretty much the same as launch for half a year or maybe a whole year or possibly to this day, I don't know.

Regardless, the way I see it is that if you're aiming for relative parity use the PC players as a testing bed before getting cert'd for the console patches. Our patches aren't 40k per patch or whatever exorbitant sum was reported. We're far more grumpy about late patches than those peasants! :pcgaming:

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 20, 2015

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

https://youtu.be/YJCkQnHBtPM

Some thousand+ hour veterans of KF1 play KF2 and reflect on changes and stuff

khy
Aug 15, 2005

The OP doesn't have enough information for me.

I never played killing floor, so I don't know what a 'suped-up' version of it is. Is this a PvP game? PvE? Is it akin to Left 4 Dead only with classes and more sci-fi?

Please educate me.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage posted:

Then don't grind, just play the game :v: I don't understand everyone freaking out about how long they think it will take to level up, I was actually disappointed when I hit lv6 everything in KF because it removed a big 'carrot' for me.

I understand where you're coming from. When I hit my Level 6's, my next goal was getting difficulty achievements on all the maps.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

https://youtu.be/YJCkQnHBtPM

Some thousand+ hour veterans of KF1 play KF2 and reflect on changes and stuff
"I've spent 3,500 hours in the game and 3,500 hours in the SDK"

:pcgaming:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

khy posted:

I never played killing floor, so I don't know what a 'suped-up' version of it is. Is this a PvP game? PvE? Is it akin to Left 4 Dead only with classes and more sci-fi?

Please educate me.

Wave-based PvE survival game with several different enemy types, escalating in strength and numbers as you complete each wave

also you pop heads like grapes and they're all like "splorch"

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

khy posted:

Please educate me.

It's a wave-based co-op game where a team of 6 people using a combination of 10(right now there are only 4) classes that they call Perks. You and the team need to find strategic places in the roomie maps and hold the fort, braving the storm of zeds until the wave is over. You gain money through murder, which you use in the small pauses inbetween waves to restock and upgrade your kit at a trader pod. Naturally each new wave is more intense than the last, bringing more danger and more money. If everything goes well then by the end of it everyone is fully stocked with the ultimate poo poo and you're ready for the final wave which will be a boss fight with some monster. Right now that monster is a 100 year old nazi scientist kept alive through irresponsible biotech usage.

The reason this is so drat addictive is because the core gameplay is just so meaty and visceral. That last bit is hard to explain and I really recommend you watch some video's of competent players going to town.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

khy posted:

Please educate me.

It's PvE horde-mode survival (although I guess some people modded objective maps, I never played one). Enemies come in waves containing mostly chaff and a few specials, kill zeds to earn dosh to buy better guns. There's a boss at the end who will kill your face.

e

Ruggington posted:

also you pop heads like grapes and they're all like "splorch"

Missed this vital point of info

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

khy posted:

Please educate me.

horde mode against ai clones with character customization, a leveling system, several enemy types, and several different classes that can vary massively between eachother to play. people mentioned popping heads but the big thing with that is just that tripwire has a track record of making guns extremely satisfying to use. weapons animated at over 200 fps to look smooth for the game's slow motion feature (slow-motion has small chance to trigger on random kill for all players) and a stupidly complex gore system make every weapon feel very good

Literal Nazi Furry fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 20, 2015

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
I haven't been able to tell from videos I've seen. Are we able to cancel reloading this time around? One one hand I won't miss being unable to. But on the other I feel like it added a cool degree of micromanagement in the first game.

[Edit: Nevermind. The veteran impressions video answered that for me -- apparently yes we can.]

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Define cancel? If you're in the middle of putting a clip in a gun you can switch away to another one if you want. The first gun won't be loaded though. Don't know if that's what you mean though.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I hope that at some point TWI adds a feature that lets me temporarily "down-level" myself. So say I'm level 24 or whatever and I can pick, just for that match alone, to play as a level 7 or 4 or whatever. The reason I want this is because in KF1 it kinda sucked when you had all your perks at the max level and you had a buddy that just picked up the game on Steam sale so you go play on a normal server with him and it's just a total snoozefest because you're breezing through everything with all your skill bonuses and such. Being able to play at a lower level more appropriate for the easier difficulties would be great and avoid this.

Also can you still die to the boss when he's in his little spawning in cutscene? Cause that was hilarious every time in KF1.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So it's always hold out against enemies for 10 waves?

Are there other types of maps? Like, "Go capture this point" or "Go retrieve this data from a PC while the hordes advance" or poo poo like that?

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Mindblast posted:

Define cancel? If you're in the middle of putting a clip in a gun you can switch away to another one if you want. The first gun won't be loaded though. Don't know if that's what you mean though.

Yup! That's what I meant. :buddy:

Hope the zeds have been tweaked and balanced to accommodate the ability to do this.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

khy posted:

So it's always hold out against enemies for 10 waves?

Are there other types of maps? Like, "Go capture this point" or "Go retrieve this data from a PC while the hordes advance" or poo poo like that?

KF1 had an Objective mode where you had to do stuff around the map to advance to the next phase. People have datamined the beta to find other modes and the server interface clearly has room for others, but in the initial release for Early Access we'll only have "Survival mode" as far as we know.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Insert name here posted:

...it kinda sucked when you had all your perks at the max level and you had a buddy that just picked up the game on Steam sale so you go play on a normal server with him and it's just a total snoozefest because you're breezing through everything with all your skill bonuses and such.

This.

I used to feel like I was killing some of the fun especially because I was a weird completionist that HAD to have all perks the same level and eventually that game to be level 4 across the board.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Quick question, will Killing Floor 2 be available on something not-Steam? :ohdear:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Brackhar posted:

Titanfall seems like an odd example for a non-AAA game. Also what else were Xbone players gonna play lol

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
How are the shotguns off the bat in KF2? I'm hoping they aren't weak pieces of poo poo with very little penetration.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So I googled it and it seems like the "special edition" comes with a skin and who the gently caress cares? Is there even any other reason to get it?

Loved KF1 but stopped playing it after a little bit, so I'm probably gonna drop the money on this tomorrow.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Daily Forecast posted:

So I googled it and it seems like the "special edition" comes with a skin and who the gently caress cares? Is there even any other reason to get it?

Loved KF1 but stopped playing it after a little bit, so I'm probably gonna drop the money on this tomorrow.

Buy it to give Tripwire a little extra support for making KF2.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

closeted republican posted:

How are the shotguns off the bat in KF2? I'm hoping they aren't weak pieces of poo poo with very little penetration.

They are good. I like them even when I don't play support!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Tough to say. At minimum I think PC users have a higher expectation of service than console players in regards to balance and patching, which can cause complications when patches for games are gated by console certification. This disparity if not corrected for can cause the PC base to churn faster than the console base. However, if a faster patch cycle is achieved, then I think PC trends towards much better retention that console over the long run. This is part of what modding support provides - even if the devs can't push out new content regularly or decide to stop, other players can step up and provide said content.

Geight posted:

Titanfall seems like an odd example for a non-AAA game. Also what else were Xbone players gonna play lol

Titanfall is a recent well-known title where the disparity was talked about a lot, but the same is true for every post MW Call of Duty game as well (with BOps being a debatable point).