Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
Ohio
lyrics by Neil Young

--------

Tin soldiers and Nixon coming,
We're finally on our own.
This summer I hear the drumming,
Four dead in Ohio.

Gotta get down to it
Soldiers are gunning us down
Should have been done long ago.
What if you knew her
And found her dead on the ground
How can you run when you know?

Potent lyrics, have the times changed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

SunAndSpring posted:

Nah, there's still tons of good lyrics writers out there. Only difference is that not too many of them get big anymore because easy-to-digest pop music has become the norm. I guess it's fine if people like that stuff, but I feel like they're missing out on some good music.

Oh, absolutely. I was old-fart reminiscing about what the song was in reference to, at a time where free speech was a concept parroted, but not actually freely allowed. Neil Young was using radio, a quasi-social media at the time, to spread current events in the form of lyrics spreading the injustice of the shooting of unarmed college students by State-directed militia at Ohio State. I know it's a lot more than that, but the point still stands.

• Locked thread