Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chthon
May 29, 2013
Lilya 4-Ever is about an Estonian girl that becomes a victim of the sex trade and is probably the most depressing movie I've seen that hasn't already been mentioned, really bleak and realistic but also very well-executed.

Although I haven't seen a lot of the movies on this list, it seems to be pretty appropriate for this thread and I use this website quite often when looking for movies that fit some specific category:

http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2014/20-great-soul-crushing-films-that-are-worth-your-time/

e: Just thought of a pretty recent example, "Prisoners" with Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal, about the disappearance of two young girls and the extremes their fathers go to to get them back. Not quite as soul-crushing as most of the movies already mentioned and iirc it has a somewhat happy ending but there are some pretty heavy and disturbing moments throughout the movie.

Chthon has a new favorite as of 09:00 on Apr 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread