Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
where did they go? what are they doing now? discuss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
a bunch of idiotic yosposters will unironically advocate for their continued use op

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

google reader and igoogle were shut down

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

, op

slam flanders
Jan 13, 2015

Google is SO hosed!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
swartz left out the part where the people running the servers get paid

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy

pram posted:

a bunch of idiotic yosposters will unironically advocate for their continued use op

yeah, optimizing my content consumption with minimal consumption and ad space was truly outmoded Web 2.0 garbage.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Gazpacho posted:

swartz left out the part where the people running the servers get paid
this was the real reason he killed hisself btw

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

RSS has long been, and continues to be, my primary method of news and content consumption :tipshat:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

pram posted:

but a bunch of smart ones will too, like me (:

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
gotta consume that content. just shovel content into my gaping maw. feed me all the content.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Necronomoticon posted:

yeah, optimizing my content consumption with minimal consumption and ad space was truly outmoded Web 2.0 garbage.

Jonny 290 posted:

but a bunch of smart ones will too, like me (:

lol

idiotbitch
Jul 16, 2013
i pay a yearly subscription for an RSS reader

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

RSS died with Aaron

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

I use rss, unironically

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

rms feeder

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
for a long time i didnt know what rss was and then when they shut down google reader i found out what it was but aparently it was too late. ive never used rss

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I use feedly

and also rss for torrents

rss is good poo poo

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

:cb: :filez:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
sir I hope you're not insinuating that I'm using the torrent protocol for piracy

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Subscribe to the Valeyard post's RSS

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i use an rss feed to keep my toilet updated on what i've been eating lately

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

it's called fighting for something you believe in but mindless consumerism has you numb to causes and real reasons to live

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I got probed the other day for talking about pirating GTA 5 - a game that I fuckin paid for - and this entire forum has sub forums dedicated to doin illegal drugs and paedo folia I don't get the double standard.
piracy enables the little guy/ anime touches him

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
it's because you touch yourself at night OP :mmmhmm:

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
using feedly nowadays (it sucks)
still the best way to keep myselfv up to date on podcasts, lovely blogs, other obscure poo poo that gets updated rarely

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

As a Millennial I posted:

RSS died with Aaron

ummmmm my name is Aaron and i am alive?????????????

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
twitter works better

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Granbar posted:

using feedly nowadays (it sucks)
still the best way to keep myselfv up to date on podcasts, lovely blogs, other obscure poo poo that gets updated rarely

same

gently caress going to a blog daily or putting a stupid app on your shitphone

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Radio Paranoia posted:

same

gently caress going to a blog daily or putting a stupid app on your shitphone

You don't have to do either of those things. In fact you aren't obligated to consume web garbage at all.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

emoji posted:

You don't have to do either of those things. In fact you aren't obligated to consume web garbage at all.

and yet here we are...

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

rss died when Internet journalism drew its last breath, before the cordycepts-like clikbait buzzfeed/verge style of journalism took over and turned it into a mindless shambling husk. when articels, which were aways really a paid ad for something threw off the last pretence of legitimacy. if you blame Adblock for killing sites, then surely removing an rss reader is an equal crime.

B

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
I've never used RSS to read newssites that post like 20 stories a day, that sounds like a nightmare. I use it mostly to keep up with stuff that get updated maybe once a week 'n shyt. also podcasts as iTunes can go gently caress itself.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i like rss, but the only thing i actually use it for is keeping a dozen or so podcasts up to date in winamp

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I used to use rss but then most of the feeds died and i stopped

thats my rss story thanks for reading

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

focal ischemia posted:

twitter works better
I, too, only care about people's opinions of the current "big" news story from the last 5 minutes

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

Linguica posted:

I, too, only care about people's opinions of the current "big" news story from the last 5 minutes

its not really news past that imho

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
literally ancient history

:911: was in the bible

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

gotta consume that content. just shovel content into my gaping maw. feed me all the content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

but i need to know when my web comics update!

• Locked thread