Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Save him! You all are terrible people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

We're not terrible, we're honoring his last wish. Onward!

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Decoy Badger posted:

Save him! You all are terrible people.

Agreed

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Let me thank most of you for chipping away at the material I'll have to include in the post-mortem.

Page 343 posted:

You hurry quickly across the bridge as a last string of bubbles from Renard's body float to the surface. All is quiet behind you, but you do not look back, fearful of seeing the mangled remains of Renard bobbing in the stream. The path is difficult, overgrown and boggy. Every now and then you are hard put to decide which way it leads but by keeping fairly close to the great river you make progress for many hours until nightfall.

The noises of the forest seem to intensify with night, there is buzzing, clicking, croaking and the hoot of a lone owl to keep you company. Finding a dry place to rest is not easy but at last you find a mound of earth on which you can settle down.

If you have CHARMS and wish to turn your pendant into a warning stone, turn to 361.
Otherwise, turn to 419.

: RIP Renard. We hardly knew ya.

: We hardly paid him either, so I guess that puts us ahead?

Page 419 posted:

You are rudely awakened when the earth mound that is your bed collapses beneath you. You try to puzzle out what has happened in the pitch dark. Then as the chitinous walls of a Colossus beetle's throat press you down towards its stomach you realize you have been swallowed alive while you slept. Nothing will avail you now as the acid of the beetle's stomach does its work. If only you had a guide who might have warned that the mound of earth on which you chose to sleep was the cap of a Colossus beetle's burrow.

Death: Digested by a Colossus beetle

: I'm never leaving paved streets again! Nature is awful!

Let's be a badass instead of a jackass when Renard gets grabbed.

Page 316 posted:

If you have SPELLS and wish to use one, turn to 355.
If you have UNARMED COMBAT turn to 368.
If you have SWORDPLAY, turn to 404.
If you have none of these skills, turn to 382.

Page 368 posted:

You let yourself fall from the bridge into the murky waters and land, by chance, on top of Renard and the Embracer. The Embracer surges up out of the water once more to see what has assailed it, with you resting on its coiled tentacles. Renard is still struggling but his arms are pinioned by the Embracer's fibrous tentacles. You grab two flailing tentacles and haul yourself towards its cone-shaped head and smash your fist repeatedly between its murky grey eyes. Its coils loosen and Renard swims up to the surface. You follow, gasping for air as you break the surface, then swim to the far bank and scramble out before the man-eating monster can recover.

Turn to 398.

: You learned that growing up on the streets? What kind of hell streets did you grow up on?

: I had a brief stint as a fishmonger's apprentice. He had a unique approach to preparing the giant squid that got hauled in. But really, punching a tentacle beast comes back just like riding a bike.

Page 398 posted:

All is quiet behind you but you do not look back. Renard is anxious to leave the monster far behind and sets a cracking pace through the forest. The path is difficult, overgrown and boggy. You make slow progress for many hours until nightfall.

The noises of the forest seem to intensify with night: there is buzzing, clicking, croaking and the hoot of a lone owl to keep you company. Finding a dry place to rest is not easy but at last you find a mound of earth on which you can settle down.

'Not there!' exclaims Renard. 'That mound is the cap of the burrow of a Colossus beetle.'

Renard selects a place for you to camp for the night on a slope that climbs gradually away from the river. You take your calfskin boots off and wash your feet in a stream that winds between the trees. The boots are soaked wet and your feet show signs of a green mould which you wash off carefully. You are relieved when Renard says your journey on the morrow will take you up out of the river valley to drier parts.

'My journey?' you ask. 'What about you?'

'This is where I leave you. In the morning I will start back to Burg. You owe me six pieces of gold. Three days out, three days back. Tomorrow, walk past that old yew tree and go on, always seeking the higher ground. If you do that you will find what you seek at the hill top.'

'Why not guide me further?'

'I want to live a long time. Nothing would make me face the terrors of the Bonehill.' Renard is adamant he will go no further.

Will you pay Renard the price agreed (turn to 153) or say that you will not pay him unless he takes you to the top of Bonehill (turn to 167)?

: Not even a 'thank you' discount for saving you from being hugged to death?

: He did save you from being digested to death.

: Nuts to that, that's in his contract! Besides, the starveling city-slicker customer is always right!

Bookkeeping note: I realized that I didn't restore the gold piece our first incarnation spent staying in the inn. We're at 15 at the moment, if it affects your votes.

Character Sheet posted:

Jay 'Lanky' Sherman the Starveling

Skills
CUNNING, ROGUERY, UNARMED COMBAT, STREETWISE

Life Points: 10/10

Gold: 15/15

Possessions: None

Kills: Embracer

Deaths: Rooted to death, despair!ed, swallowed and digested by a Colossus beetle

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Just pay the man and be done.

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!
drat, if only we'd been a wizard, we could have ditched him AND saved money.

Well, might as well own up and pay him now.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
A deal's a deal. Pay up.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 153 posted:

Renard thanks you for the six pieces of gold; delete them from the money recorded on your Adventure Sheet. 'It's not that I'm a coward, you understand. It's just that nobody in their right mind would brave the Bonehill.'

You awake at dawn in time to glimpse Renard's disappearing back. It seems he doesn't want to stay a moment longer than he has to. You slept soundly and feel invigorated and confident as you begin to climb the slope away from the Sirion river. You may restore up to 2 lost Life Points.

Turn to 237.

I'll need to dig a bit further into earlier options in the book, because I don't know how it's possible to lose Life Points by this point.

Page 237 posted:

You trudge on, singling out a particular tree to head for as far away as you can see and keeping it in sight as you go to try to make sure you don't walk in circles. When you reach the tree you look back and try to identify the one you left behind so that you can choose another tree to make for in the same general direction. It is tiring and you are exhausted.

Moving through winding mossy ways, wrapped in the green gloom of the forest depths, you catch the scent of unusual blooms. A path fringed with violet blossoms leads off between the great black boles of the trees, and following it with your gaze you glimpse a stone tower. It is some distance out of your path, and ominously draped in shadows.

If you want to investigate the tower, turn to 394.
If you pass by without looking back, turn to 454.

: It's like a tiny bit of civilization in the middle of the woods! Maybe I'll have a fleeting moment to use my street smarts again!

Character Sheet posted:

Skills: CUNNING, ROGUERY, UNARMED COMBAT, STREETWISE

Gold: 9/15

Deaths: Rooted to death, despair!ed, swallowed and digested by a Colossus beetle

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Let's get killed by the ominous tower! Whee!

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!
Renard told us to seek higher ground, right? Well that tower looks pretty tall to me. :downs:

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 394 posted:

It takes much longer to reach the tower than you imagined, since path after path leads you up against such obstacles as thorn bushes or fallen trees whose rotting bark crawls with insects. At last you pass into the open, where a clearing of uneven grassy ground stands between the louring ranks of trees.

The tower is outlined in a halo of moonlight which makes the angular masonry blocks gleam like silver. Ivy covers the walls in a dark tangled net. Under a lichen-stained armorial crest looms a great black door sealed with an iron lock. Gazing up, you see a glimmer of green light from the topmost chamber of the tower. It is the one sign that the place might not be abandoned and left to ruin.

If you have AGILITY and want to climb the tower, turn to 464.
If you have ROGUERY and want to pick the lock, turn to 489.
Otherwise, you can return to the main forest paths and continue on your way: turn to 454.

Page 489 posted:

Taking a long pin that you habitually keep in your boot, you delve into the lock with the deft precision of an expert jeweller. Despite its apparent age the mechanism of the lock is untouched by rust, and your efforts are soon rewarded with a heavy click as the lock springs open. You peer inside, but the moonlight only sketches a section of black marble floor, beyond which lies impenetrable darkness. Groping your way, you find a balustrade and ascend the stairs with painstaking care. It would not do to miss your footing and go careering down in the dark.

A faint glimmer of iridescence warns you that you are nearing the top of the tower. You step through an archway into a chamber which is open to the night air. Filtered through lattices of stonework beside the balcony, moonbeams form a web of shadow across the marble floor. The wan green light you noticed before comes from a single flickering candle on a wrought-iron stand. On the far wall behind it, a mirror sparkles with a fluid brilliance like quicksilver. A light breeze blows through the chamber carrying the odor of soil and growing things. As your eyes adjust further to the gloom, you can make out a figure sprawled across a bed surrounded by gossamer drapes.

If you tiptoe over to the bedside (turn to 449).
If you search the room (turn to 470).
If you go to take a closer look at the mirror (turn to 460).

: Mirror, mirror, in the dark - get me out of this creepy...park!

: Another word of that and I'm taking the balcony exit.

Character Sheet posted:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Let's have a look in the mirror. Should be innocuous, right?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 460 posted:

You gaze into the mirror. Your own image palely stares back from the limpid depths of the glass. Then it winks at you. 'I am a magic mirror,' it attests undeniably. 'Or, more precisely, I am an aerial sprite trapped within the polished crystal of the mirror. My mistress captured me long ago and keeps me to counsel her.'

You cast a wary glance over your shoulder, but the woman on the bed has not stirred. 'Who is she?' you whisper.

'An enchantress of the Fomorian race - more ancient than even the elves. She sleeps to preserve her unearthly beauty. Disturb her at your peril!'

You smile wryly. 'I have no intention of doing so.'

'Good.' In the mirror, your reflection returns your smile with a conspiratorial look. Leaning closer, it says: 'If you agree to break the mirror, thus releasing me from my long confinement, I'll grant one wish in return.'

If you refuse this suggestion, you can now either search the room (turn to 470) or leave the tower (turn to 479).
If you accept, decide your wish. Will you ask for vitality (turn to 118), wisdom (turn to 22), or secret lore (turn to 268)?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Do it, and wish for wisdom.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Secrets!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

'Wisdom' is gonna be some bullshit like "You shouldn't have come here BAM DEAD." So let's go secret lore.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Definitely secret lore. Possibly that lore will be "Aerial sprites feed on human flesh and I'm famished", but hey, it's worth a shot.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 268 posted:

The Elf King's name,' suggests the mirror-sprite. 'That is a very old secret.'

You shrug. 'What of it? I need a secret that will help me in my quest.'

'Among the ancient folk, names are especially significant,' says the sprite. 'You can force such, a being to do what you want if you know his name. And you might want the Elf King's help before your quest is done.'

'All right, what is his name?'

The sprite demurs. 'I heard . . . on the wind, long ago, I heard a whisper . . . ' It glances to left and right, wearing a fearful expression on your own reflected face. 'I'll tell you this rhyme:

posted:

'The name of the Elven King
Is a very powerful thing;
If you speak it to him, or even sing,
He'll have to give you his signet ring.'

You give the mirror a long hard glare. The sprite returns your annoyance with a disingenuous look. 'That does not sound very helpful,' you say coldly.

'It is all I dare,' replies the sprite. 'Now, hurry - shatter the mirror so that I can fly free.'

Write the codeword Speculum on your Adventure Sheet.

Now, if you break the mirror, turn to 418.
If not, turn to 105.

: SPECULUM??

Character Sheet posted:

Codewords: Speculum

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
We got killed for being a jerk last time, so we should probably keep our word and break the mirror.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

We asked for a name, not a nursery rhyme. Don't smash.

I fully expect the mirror to scream in fury and get us killed.

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

Smash it so we'll wake up the sleeping lady and be killed by her instead.

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!
Break it! Break all of the things!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
A deal is a deal. Smash it. Although in an ideal world, I'd rather have taken the mirror down the hallway to smash it away from the sleeping sorceress.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Ghostwoods posted:

A deal is a deal. Smash it. Although in an ideal world, I'd rather have taken the mirror down the hallway to smash it away from the sleeping sorceress.

: Great minds think alike!

Page 418 posted:

You have more sense than to smash the mirror here by the enchantress' bedside, where the noise would surely wake her. Taking it down carefully from the wall, you tiptoe to the balcony and drop it over the balustrade. You watch it flash in the moonlight as it tails to shatter on the ground far below. A gust of spring-scented wind arises and you catch a glimpse of an ethereal smiling face flitting up past you as a voice whispers, 'Thank you.' Then the wind dies and all is quiet again.

If you want to explore the bower further, turn to 470.
If you are ready to leave, turn to 479.

This choice doesn't really matter for our skillset....

Page 470 posted:

You discover a stout bronze chest in a vine-carpeted alcove. Your heart thuds with greed as you contemplate the lavish treasures it might contain. Alas, you are destined never to possess a single gold coin of that treasure. The moment you touch the hasp, the vine leaves start rustling of their own accord, making a noise like a hundred hissing serpents to break the silence of the bower. You should have guessed that the treasure chest would be protected by an alarm spell.

Turn to 499.

...because...

Page 499 posted:

Stirring at the noise, the woman on the bed raises a slim white arm and brushes sleepily at her face. At any moment she will awaken. If she discovers you here, she might well express her surprise in a manner involving both magic and malice. You must begone with all stealth and haste.

If you have ROGUERY then you can use your skill to slip away unnoticed: turn to 479.
Otherwise turn to 485.

...of our rogueish charms. That Starveling thing seems to be paying of nicely thus far.

Page 479 posted:

You make your way quickly away from the eerie ivyclad tower and return to the main track, where you snatch a few hours of rest before continuing on your way.

Turn to 454.

: I could see the sound of a hundred hissing serpents actually serving a calming effect. Are we sure that wasn't a white noise device to help her get to sleep?

Page 454 posted:

As you walk on you find gaunt grey crags jutting up out of the forest. It is a relief to find clear landmarks at last. The forest is broken here; where the soil is thin above the grey rock only grass can grow, and you walk out of gloom into bright sunlight that hurts your eyes. There are countless paths leading back into the forest in all directions. As you stand contemplating the choice of ways a voice above and behind you says, 'Lost, are you?'

You turn round and look up. All you can see is a silver-feathered owl perched on top of an outcrop.

'Lost, are you?' the voice says again. It sounded as if the voice came from the owl but its beak didn't move.

Will you admit you are lost, (turn to 258)?
Or ignore it and walk on, choosing one of the many ways at random, (turn to 277)?

: Mr Owl, how many trips does it take to get to the Tree of Knowledge center of the Forest of Arden?

Character Sheet posted:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Colour me impressed! A protagonist who's not a complete moron!

Let's fess up. Owls are supposed to be wise.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
gently caress you, tree, I'm not lost!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Coin flip

Page 277 posted:

The days come and go and still you cannot find anyone to talk to in the forest, nor anything but perfectly ordinary-seeming trees. You manage to find enough berries and nuts to stay alive but it is a hard existence. The forest is just too big to find your way through alone.

For hours on end you feel as though you are being watched by unseen eyes. Sometimes you whirl round suddenly, eyes darting towards any sign of movement, in the hope of catching one of the spies. But you never do.

Then one day which dawns cold and dewy just like any other, you hear a strange thumping and an occasional hissing like a dragon's breath or a geyser erupting far away.

Turn to 260.

: Would a Geyser of Knowledge be an acceptable substitute?

: No!

: Awwww...

Page 260 posted:

Climbing a rise you look out over a scene of utter devastation. The trees have been chopped down as far as the eye can see. An infernal engine of some kind belches black smoke and two hundred yards away you see a forge with a gigantic cauldron over a bonfire which six men feed constantly with readycut wood and charcoal. The men working here are very pale skinned, their faces long and thin, like hatchets. They shout to each other over the din of the engine in a language you don't understand.

Teams of horses yoked together pull logs to where groups of men cut them up with saws, ready for burning. A row of children sit nearby; they are darker skinned than the men and have been set to toil over sharpening the saws.

Where the trees have been felled and stripped men are torching the underbrush to kill everything that lives in the forest. A pall of smoke hangs over everything like a storm-cloud.

The men haven't noticed you yet. There is a group of armed guards near the forge who sport more steel armour than you have ever seen. These men must be wealthy. They also look bored and edgy.

Will you show yourself and talk to them, (turn to 100)?
Or will you sink back into the forest and hide (turn to 134)?

: I come seeking what is now probably just the Charcoal Briquette of Knowledge!

Character Sheet posted:

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 2, 2015

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Probably best to hide in the forest.

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!
Nonsense! We are the adventurous sort, and thus we feel compelled to stride boldly forward!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Time to hide!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Hide from the men of Isengard!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 134 posted:

Watching from the edge of the trees you see a man who bears an uncanny resemblance to the girl in the inn at Burg. He must be her father.

If you wish to free him from the clutches of the Westermen, turn to 264.
If you are content to abandon him to their tender mercies, turn to 279.

: I don't know if that resemblance is a credit to the father or a strike against the girl.

Character Sheet posted:

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
We picked a stealthy class, might as well get some use out of our skills. Free him.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

We took the sidequest, might as well finish it. Free him.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

CirclMastr posted:

We took the sidequest, might as well finish it. Free him.

If we're being nitpicky, only the first Jay incarnation did. When we spent the night at Renard's we missed the chance to chat up the serving girl. Either way, though, it doesn't affect the current situation.

Page 264 posted:

The innkeeper is chained in a line of five slaves who have been set to repair a broken cartwheel. Four of them lift the cart while another tries to tie a joint together. The guard comes over to the group and starts kicking them to give himself the feeling he is doing his job well. The innkeeper groans and begs for mercy as the guard's boot thumps into his stomach. He groans again.

Will you kill the guard (turn to 315)?
Or bide your time (turn to 334)?

: Is that a magical stun baton he's carrying? These are some well equipped guards!

Character Sheet posted:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Uh, bide our... hell, no. KILL HIM!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

If we didn't rescue the innkeeper at this instant, he'd get kicked in the spleen and bleed out internally. So good on y'all for navigating this successfully.

Page 315 posted:

The guard has chosen a place, where he is not observed by any of his fellows, to brutalize the slaves, so there will be no one to save him when you attack. Immersed as he is in his sadistic pleasures it is easy enough to walk up behind him and kill him before he even knows you are there, just as he was about to kick the innkeeper hard in the chest.

Taking the key from its chain about the dead guard's neck you free the slaves, including the innkeeper, and tell them to hide out in the forest. You tell the innkeeper of your visit to the inn at Burg and find out it is indeed his hostelry. He asks anxiously after his daughter and you are able to say she is tolerably well. 'She will be all the happier when you return to her, no doubt.'

'Will you come back with me to Burg? I will shower you with hospitality, a banquet fit for a prince . . . '

Will you escort the innkeeper safely back to his inn (turn to 62) or tell him you must stay in the forest and foil the Wester men (turn to 378)?

: Damnit, I was hoping you'd be a magical, wish-granting innkeeper. Not that I don't appreciate the well wishes and all, but this is a high stakes game we're playing.

Character Sheet posted:

Kills: Embracer, a guard

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I think we ought to see him safely home. It's the only way to be sure, besides, we may get some practical gratitude. I doubt the loggers are going anywhere.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
Maybe we'll get to marry his daughter and avoid the rest of the bloodsucking forest.

... wait, is this one of those books that only has one good end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

gegi posted:

Maybe we'll get to marry his daughter and avoid the rest of the bloodsucking forest.

Sounds like a great plan to me. That place is a slaughterhouse!

• Locked thread