Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

The_Frag_Man posted:

How long has that dumbass been living there without remembering/realizing who Narugino is? That's what I wanna know.

E: Why hasn't that teenage dumbass triggered yubafication before the story begins? He should be familiar with, and if it's triggered by sexy stuff should have triggered it before since he's a teenage kid in a girls body.

We see human-form Yuta see panties twice without yubafying, but then previous-loop Yuta yubafied while being superhero dude. I suppose that yubafying is more intentional when you're just a normal person, but in spirit form, you're a egg without a shell, so you get set off more easily? Also why Yuta can't nosebleed-go-unconcious now unless spirit-Yuta does, probably

In non-spoiler talk, yeah, this is my "unexpectedly good show" of the season, even if I'm still confused as poo poo about whats going on. The setup wouldn't have prepared for me for actual honest to god plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Conot posted:

We see human-form Yuta see panties twice without yubafying, but then previous-loop Yuta yubafied while being superhero dude. I suppose that yubafying is more intentional when you're just a normal person, but in spirit form, you're a egg without a shell, so you get set off more easily? Also why Yuta can't nosebleed-go-unconcious now unless spirit-Yuta does, probably

In non-spoiler talk, yeah, this is my "unexpectedly good show" of the season, even if I'm still confused as poo poo about whats going on. The setup wouldn't have prepared for me for actual honest to god plot.

But he's from the yuba experimentation place, if he can figure out how to do it in human form now, nothing should have stopped him doing it before except that he is an idiot.

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

The_Frag_Man posted:

But he's from the yuba experimentation place, if he can figure out how to do it in human form now, nothing should have stopped him doing it before except that he is an idiot.
In the flashback the scientist dude was upset about how the kids 'knew how to' Ubafy but weren't doing it. The only finally did it when they were in extreme peril. It's not that weird that Yuta never bothered to do it if he didn't have a reason. He might not have even known that he could - Narugino knows because somebody taught her.

I keep wondering what kind of insane justification Uchikoshi will come up with for the cat but maybe there won't be any justification. Maybe he's just a cat ghost.

Kaelan Zero fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 23, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
There's no real reason to yuberfy given that we know it's long term harmful to one's health. Strange Juice is the anomaly.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I wonder if the tenants of that building are Meika's attempt at bringing together that super hero group she mentioned. You've got two superhumans and a psychic, though two of them are utter failures. I dunno how Ito would fit into that, either.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
yeah Ito's definitely a noticeable odd one out in this show

maybe since she's good at that one mecha online game, she'll end up running around in that robot Meika has to shoot nukes at the meteor or something, since playing video games makes you good at operating military hardware

that's basically the most useful role i can think for her in the overarching plot. ...or actually, maybe she's the blonde kid from the institute place, doing the same thing Yuta's doing because she was originally Narugino

if that's so that kind of makes the prospective 'childhood friend'-ish relationship between the two seem more notably obvious to do, being all body-swap transgendered is something i think people might bond over. ...though if if that's true that makes all the panty stuff slightly more, well...:getin:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I kind of thought the cat was actually the first Yuta's soul somehow as the latest episode went on but then I looked back on everything he's done and that is a very silly idea.

Sure didn't expect this show to be full on body-swap antics going in though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Whoever is in Pine's body is the one who attacked the bus. We still don't know what the hell is up with that organization, aside from the fact that they are assholes.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Cool show.

I'm guessing the reason that the cat wants the group to bond is to motivate the ghost Yuuta to go back in time in case the other Yuuta fails

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Hey just spitballing here, but considering black is in pink's body, would it be considered narcissism to be attracted to someone in her real body? Makes you think

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Timeline so far....

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Well, its a safe bet that Turtle Man won't show up a second time. The question now is what leads Miyazawa Kenji to attack Gliese, as well as what happens on the 26th, which is Ghost-Yuta's 2nd lost day.

It also seems obvious beyond doubt that Tsubochi Qmay is/was Guriko in Pine's body, but that doesn't explain why s/he founded the Qmay group, nor why they're trying to build W.

Rabura getting posessed waaaaaaaaay before any of the Uberfied kids existed points either to Spirit-Yuta or to Chiranosuke. It seems odd that that event would be consistent in every timeline thought, since Current-Yuta didn't posess Rabura as a child.

Also, it seems kinda dickish of Chiranosuke to not tell Yuta(s) about how events have previously turned out. It would help a ton if Yuta knew whether he was retreading steps to a doomed future, and it seems likely that this would have happened atleast once in the past 6.whatever billion times

Arianya fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 28, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Conot posted:

Also, it seems kinda dickish of Chiranosuke to not tell Yuta(s) about how events have previously turned out. It would help a ton if Yuta knew whether he was retreading steps to a doomed future, and it seems likely that this would have happened atleast once in the past 6.whatever billion times

My theory is that Chiranosuke is the previous run's Yuuta, killed by the asteroid. So he only knows what the prior iteration of Chiranosuke told him, which isn't a lot.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

:lobcorp:
I started watching this because it had Punch in the name, and I was in a punchy mood. I was disappointed when it turned out to be fanservicey anime bullshit, but I kept watching it. And once it started going all the good kinds of crazy, I retracted my disspointment and replaced it with undiluted admiration.

Looking back, the revelation that Yuta is a dude in a girl's body is heavily foreshadowed- think back to when he possessed Rabura. Just listen to her voice...

Also, it'd probably make the most sense if Yuta just straight-up has an underwear fetish or something. Pictures are shown to affect him, but pictures of girls in bikinis don't.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I finally got around to watching the last two episodes and Uchikoshi is basically ripping himself off. I feel like very few of the surprises are going to surprise me because I can vaguely predict how things will play out.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm kinda surprised that he specifically precluded cumulative benefits from the time loops. Each version only has two chances instead of the latest one gaining knowledge of every single one of his predecessors. That alone is a pretty big departure.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I watched the first couple of episodes because I'd seen screenshots of nice animation and thought the premise might be goofy enough to be a bit of fun for a while.

But this show is actually really good, mostly in spite of itself. The fan service is almost self aware enough to get away with it.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Cell phone panties

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Weren't those paper talismans supposed to stop ghosts from going through the walls? So what's with the cat acting like they aren't even there?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
High level cats.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Paracelsus posted:

Weren't those paper talismans supposed to stop ghosts from going through the walls? So what's with the cat acting like they aren't even there?

He's the devil.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This plot keeps going somewhere, but I've still no idea how this is going to work itself out

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

So wait, if Gliese is Guriko/Pine, who was the spirit posessing Turtle Man? And for that matter, who was the spirit posessing young psychic lady? It seems now like that was a act in line with the Qmay group's plans, since without it Meika would never have been created and no one could have hacked into the AFSPC servers, but it definitely wasn't Guriko (who still has a body) or Pine (who is stuck in his own personal time loop at the moment) or Chiyoko (who uh... pretty much seems to know nothing other then Uberfication). Either theres gonna be even higher levels of time fuckery, or theres a fourth spirit hanging around.

And again, a lot of this would have been solved if Chirosuke had just said "yo btw Gliese is Guriko, they wanna use the satellite to steer the asteroid into the planet". He seems to be more interested in getting Yuta to do what he says then in the whole "Humanity Preservation Project"

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

Conot posted:

So wait, if Gliese is Guriko/Pine, who was the spirit posessing Turtle Man?
Tsubouchi QMay, the founder of the QMay group. Guriko is a leader, not the founder. (Probably because after the river incident the group captured her and brainwashed her)

Conot posted:

And for that matter, who was the spirit posessing young psychic lady?
Pine is the most reasonable answer out of the current cast. Anyone else would either not have a motive to do what possessed-Rabura did, or would have a motive to do that plus other things. Whoever did it was looking out for Chiyoko.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Conot posted:

So wait, if Gliese is Guriko/Pine, who was the spirit posessing Turtle Man? And for that matter, who was the spirit posessing young psychic lady? It seems now like that was a act in line with the Qmay group's plans, since without it Meika would never have been created and no one could have hacked into the AFSPC servers, but it definitely wasn't Guriko (who still has a body) or Pine (who is stuck in his own personal time loop at the moment) or Chiyoko (who uh... pretty much seems to know nothing other then Uberfication). Either theres gonna be even higher levels of time fuckery, or theres a fourth spirit hanging around.

And again, a lot of this would have been solved if Chirosuke had just said "yo btw Gliese is Guriko, they wanna use the satellite to steer the asteroid into the planet". He seems to be more interested in getting Yuta to do what he says then in the whole "Humanity Preservation Project"

[spoiler]uchikoshi throws us for a double twist and it turns out that guriko/pine is also being time guided by a spirit animal [spoiler]

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

I'm going to lol so hard if he actually does go for the bad end.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm gonna say bad end too since there might only be one episode left.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Maybe they are going to launch all the world's nukes at the asteroid?

Then again that still doesn't resolve the stuff happening in the distant past. Maybe Yuta is going to make himself a ghost so that he can travel back in time further?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 12, 2015

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I thought he was gonna become a W and "win" that way, but his promise to protect all life on earth doesn't really make sense if thats so, and they made too much of a big deal of that for it to be a casual lie.

My guess is that the rocket we keep seeing in the OP is the Qmay Group's "ark". Yuta will hitch a ride on it and in some way disrupt the asteroid or straight up push it off. No idea with the past stuff. Maybe Chiyoko learns to ghost walk and does it? The spirit of Tsubochi is still hanging around somewhere, and he may not take well to having been lied to by his protege.

The unanswered questions seem to be:

1) Who goes to the past and posesses Rabura to make her forewarn the Professor of the future?
2) Who initiated the Human Salvation Project? Who/what is Chirosuke?
3) The gently caress happened to Guriko to turn her from semi-selfish uberfied kid into outright cultist with psycopathic tendencies?
4) What the hell is ghost Yuta up to? We've not seen him for a while, and one presumes hes not just sitting in the disused apartment jerking off.

Arianya fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 12, 2015

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm gonna say bad end too since there might only be one episode left.

How could that be? I would expect 12 episodes minimum..

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

The_Frag_Man posted:

How could that be? I would expect 12 episodes minimum..
Noitamina is usually 11 episodes, but Punch Line has been confirmed to be 12 episodes.

If anyone was going to do a bad end for this kind of series, Uchikoshi would be a strong candidate, but I think this is headed for a good ending. He's probably just going to pull something relatively expected out of his rear end (something the previous plot and dialogue indicated was impossible).

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I'm going for Kamehameha destroy the asteroid.

E: And this is to go even further beyond!!

The_Frag_Man fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jun 13, 2015

Neremworld
Dec 3, 2007

by exmarx
I'm pretty certain that the cat spirit is actually the old man that Guriko complained about. The Human Salvation Project is a very scientific sounding name, and the guy in question was the old leader of Q-may. And Guriko even wonders if that old man's spirit had been helping Yuuta out.

As far as why Guriko is so crazy now, I assume she got captured back and brainwashed. She at least still has affection for her old friends, since she had trouble killing Strange Juice when she realized that she was actually Chiyoko and when Chiyoko demanded she not hurt Ito, Guriko just gave her right back.

I really did not expect this show to be so good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I wonder if Chiranosuke is deliberately maintaining the time loop? Obviously, if he just wants to wipe out humanity he doesn't need to do poo poo. However, as long as there is a time loop humanity is still being preserved. For a temporally adrift ghost that might seem like a perfectly good solution to the whole human extinction thing.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
you know what they say, five trillion, eight hundred and sixty five billion, nine hundred and twenty million, three thousand, two hundred and eighty first time's the charm

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Serious Frolicking posted:

I wonder if Chiranosuke is deliberately maintaining the time loop? Obviously, if he just wants to wipe out humanity he doesn't need to do poo poo. However, as long as there is a time loop humanity is still being preserved. For a temporally adrift ghost that might seem like a perfectly good solution to the whole human extinction thing.

He's obviously doing it so that Pine can become the strongest witch and supply him with an unlimited amount of magic energy to survive the heat death of the universe.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

And there's where the budget went!

Some major death flags being raised... :ohdear:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Fangz posted:

And there's where the budget went!

Some major death flags being raised... :ohdear:

Huh, I wonder who also said this exact line before.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

AOTS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

the qmay group's insignia looks like a star of david to me. It's a zionist conspiracy

• Locked thread