Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

baquerd posted:

What changed that made me want to take action this year is the benefits kung fu they're pulling that ends up in her making mandatory contributions and preventing us from doing a deductible traditional IRA
Ok, just so we're clear, you're saying that her being opted into the 401(k) prevents you from deducting contributions to her traditional IRA, right?

baquerd posted:

I need to deduct at least the traditional IRA amount money or I'm losing my ability to do a Roth.
But if you don't deduct them that puts you over the Roth IRA income limit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

baquerd posted:

Yep, those are the IRS rules, so what has to happen now is that we use her 401k to get the proper deductions.
I'm not an expert but couldn't you just do a backdoor Roth if you wanted to contribute to a Roth IRA?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Gotcha, ok it all makes sense now. You want to lower your MAGI but since your wife has an employer sponsored 401k which you can't opt out of, you're not eligible to deduct contributions to a traditional IRA. Lowering your MAGI through her 401k would suck because the options are terrible. You can't do a backdoor Roth because you have a large existing traditional IRA and presumably you either don't have an employer 401k or you're already maxing it out so you can't reduce your MAGI there either.

• Locked thread