Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

I don't think you can have employee contributions be mandatory. It must be the non discretionary employer match that you are calling the employee contribution. I don't think employee contributions ever need to vest either. I assume you requested the plan document?

i believe it can be "mandatory" but the employee may opt out. I assume why this is considered "mandatory" is because the employee is not free to change their elections during the year? either way it sounds super sketchy.

http://corporate.findlaw.com/corporate-governance/irs-approves-mandatory-401-k-contributions-if-appropriate.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

baquerd posted:

It's technically benefit overflow money. The way this works is that the employee gets a certain amount of benefit money. They then pay for insurance, pre-tax transit, etc. out of this money. Whatever is left, gets put in the 401k, and we've been told there's no way to opt out of this.

ok -- so the dollars going to the 401k are in excess of the actual salary? that sounds a lot more reasonable, then. (those fees are still ridiculous though)

• Locked thread