Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
The Pride of Hiigara, dumped in space because they got a bigger, badder ship.

Guess that pride wasn't worth much, eh? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Koorisch posted:

To be fair, they traded up to what they worship[ped?] as God. :black101:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I still can't get over how much of this game is just FILLER. Literally the only noteworthy plot points are getting the Bentusi Core, finding out about the Balcora Gate, then going off to the Balcora Gate to fight Makaan.

I have to admit that I don't really see what we even needed the Dreadnought for, it seemed kind of a pointless trinket to drag around.

Veritonsils
Sep 14, 2007

For. Eh. Ver.
At least the Vaygr ships look really cool. They're my favorite ones, design wise. :allears:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Koorisch posted:

I always just assumed they went back and salvaged it once Hiigara was liberated. I mean, they had to dump it and run to get back to Hiigara in time, but it's not like the PoH was in an danger of falling into the Balcora trinary or anything.

Sajuuk is basically a go-anywhere starship now that it's got all three hyperspace cores in it, and if it can jump out of Balcora with no problem, it can sure as poo poo jump back into Balcora, right?

Dabir posted:

You said there wasn't room for a second Dreadnaught where we got ours, there actually was, there's a second Dreadnaught dock drifting outside the playable area in that level.

Funny, I never actually noticed that myself when I played the game. I always assumed that the second Dreadnaught was docked on the underside of the dock structure. Though that does pose the question, if both Dreadnaughts were in spitting distance of one another... Why didn't Makaan just take both of them at the same time? :psyduck:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I really have to wonder why no one seems surprised or concerned at all that Sajuuk, the Great Maker, turned out to be a starship.

Except for Kiith Somtaaw, of course. Given their background as a priestly kiith that turned into miners and everything they got up to in Cataclysm it feels perfectly in-character for them to call this development ironic and highly amusing and how many guns does God have, does He need more?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cythereal posted:

I really have to wonder why no one seems surprised or concerned at all that Sajuuk, the Great Maker, turned out to be a starship.

Except for Kiith Somtaaw, of course. Given their background as a priestly kiith that turned into miners and everything they got up to in Cataclysm it feels perfectly in-character for them to call this development ironic and highly amusing and how many guns does God have, does He need more?

Let's be honest here, the only ones who would have gotten insanely worked up about God turning out to be a Big Fukkin Gun were the Gaalsieni... and they're all dead anyway, so gently caress em :v:

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Let's be honest here, the only ones who would have gotten insanely worked up about God turning out to be a Big Fukkin Gun were the Gaalsieni... and they're all dead anyway, so gently caress em :v:

HW2 writing staff posted:

Who?

e: man, was enjoying the music really worth not queuing up a couple ion frigates on all the other frigate-capable builders instead of the whole stack on the shipyard, is this revenge for causing you to LP this game or something?

Illuyankas fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 3, 2015

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Illuyankas posted:

e: man, was enjoying the music really worth not queuing up a couple ion frigates on all the other frigate-capable builders instead of the whole stack on the shipyard, is this revenge for causing you to LP this game or something?

I will stop displaying incoherent rage just to say yes.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Here it is, folks, the point where the game turns from generically stupid to Idiots In Space. WE HAD THE loving WAR WON.
That being said, the religion of Hiigarans being pretty much a cargo cult is so much in character it isn't even funny.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 3, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There is something fitting about the God Hiigara worships being a spaceship that they end up salvaging like everything else in the universe.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Let's talk about the large failure of logic in berryjon's opening statement:

1. None of the Hiigarans knew that they could just have walked away from the Balcora Gate to trap Makaan in there. So it's not the writing's fault that they didn't act with the benefit of hindsight, since that's impossible outside of time-traveling stories.

2. As we will see in the last mission, the absence of Makaan doesn't stop the Vaygr in their ultimate assault on Hiigara. And this assault would at least have resulted in the obliteration of planetary life if the Hiigarans didn't get Sajuuk. So the initial statement that all they had to do was to lose the last mission is very wrong.

This mission was awesome, as a kid my mind was blown that Sajuuk turned out to be a starship. This mission and the next are certainly among the best parts of Homeworld 2, I really enjoyed them. We get a nice new toy in the final mission, it's a lot of fun to use it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Torrannor posted:

1. None of the Hiigarans knew that they could just have walked away from the Balcora Gate to trap Makaan in there. So it's not the writing's fault that they didn't act with the benefit of hindsight, since that's impossible outside of time-traveling stories.

The Hiigarans knew that Makaan would need all three cores, so even if they weren't gonna leave him trapped, they COULD have basically just ignored him. Since they had 2 of the 3 cores he needed, and were clearly carving a great big swathe through his fleet without the help of any Divine Spaceships, why not just keep kicking rear end while letting him run off somewhere useless?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It's bad writing because what's the goal? To fulfill some nebulous prophecy, or to protect Hiigara? As far as the prophecy is concerned, it's entirely "bring three MacGuffins together then MAGIC" so logically the solution to Makaan warping into a hostile region of space without having the necessary parts is to leave him there while the fleet casually mops up the rest of his leaderless fleet.

Or, it's to jump back to Hiigara and liberate or whatever was needed to be done there.

Or it's to do a little more research on what this prophecy entails instead of blindly following it to the letter for utterly unspecified reasons. What if it was a trap? Well, oops, we just jumped into the perfectly laid ambush. Oops!

The mission after this is entirely an asspull and doesn't flow logically -- except to retroactively justify this retarded pursuit against all evidence. Chekov's gun at least requires you to hint as to why you placed it on stage in the first place.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well, this isn't the first time Karan has read the game script and informed the player of things there are no attempts to justify her knowing.

Prophecy is one of the laziest goddamn plot devices in storytelling history.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Let's be fair about Sajuuk here. It's most likely that the ship was named after an actual person, because it makes no sense otherwise. Remember how huge the Progenitor mothership was? It was so huge you'd need a hyperspace gate just to get from the front to the back of it. Sajuuk the ship is pathetic compared to that, so why would this big religion form up around this random rear end ship instead of that?

It's much more likely that Sajuuk was a guy who fled to Balcora after their mothership was destroyed to hide out from whatever blew it up, and people just call the ship after its captain.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I keep saying it's a cargo cult; the crew of The Great Maker traded some basic tech to ancient Hiigarans who were so stoked with it they started worshipping them. Hell, Sajuuk is probably a brand of cheap beer or something.

Torrannor posted:

Nope. The prophecy outright stated all three cores are needed; Makaan (who isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed) hosed that one up pretty badly. One would think he'd remember the prophecies he's trying to fulfill but, well, this whole thing is a comedy of errors...

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Nope. The prophecy outright stated all three cores are needed; Makaan (who isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed) hosed that one up pretty badly. One would think he'd remember the prophecies he's trying to fulfill but, well, this whole thing is a comedy of errors...

And you knew the gate was needed to get into the center of the black hole cluster, so it just makes sense that the gate would be needed to get out as well.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I always figured that, alongside being far-jumpers, the Cores in the various motherships also acted as power sources. I'm pretty sure I remember reading that somewhere, and I think I also remember the lights on the Pride only turning on once the core was installed in the HW2 opening. Can't check at the moment though.

So on top of apparently having to to explosively jettison the capital bay door to get the Core out, they also had to literally rip out it's power source so they could fly Sajuuk around. So it's slightly less dumb to leave the pride drifting there.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I always just assumed they went back and salvaged it once Hiigara was liberated. I mean, they had to dump it and run to get back to Hiigara in time, but it's not like the PoH was in an danger of falling into the Balcora trinary or anything.

Sajuuk is basically a go-anywhere starship now that it's got all three hyperspace cores in it, and if it can jump out of Balcora with no problem, it can sure as poo poo jump back into Balcora, right?

Funny, I never actually noticed that myself when I played the game. I always assumed that the second Dreadnaught was docked on the underside of the dock structure. Though that does pose the question, if both Dreadnaughts were in spitting distance of one another... Why didn't Makaan just take both of them at the same time? :psyduck:

Maybe the other one's Keeper was broken?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Psycho Landlord posted:

I always figured that, alongside being far-jumpers, the Cores in the various motherships also acted as power sources. I'm pretty sure I remember reading that somewhere, and I think I also remember the lights on the Pride only turning on once the core was installed in the HW2 opening. Can't check at the moment though.

So on top of apparently having to to explosively jettison the capital bay door to get the Core out, they also had to literally rip out it's power source so they could fly Sajuuk around. So it's slightly less dumb to leave the pride drifting there.
At a bare minimum, we can see that the hyperspace core was the only thing holding the Pride of Hiigara upright. :v:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

kw0134 posted:

What if it was a trap?

gently caress a trap, dude, a prank is way funnier. Get all three cores at the same place and they each pop open and confetti comes out along with banners that say "frigate lost" in alienese

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

gently caress a trap, dude, a prank is way funnier. Get all three cores at the same place and they each pop open and confetti comes out along with banners that say "frigate lost" in alienese

If someone mods the frigate explosion to confetti and kazoos, this game will have come a long way.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I'd be okay if this entire game was an elaborate Candid Camera-style episode purely to troll Karan. Punk'd by Sajuuk.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Here it is. The last mission. In which all our effort comes to a head.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Those planetary bombardment platforms seem... misused. With all the pomp and circumstance they put into the cinematic where they rotate into position and deploy the arms in a new configuration. I was expecting something along the lines of "Massive railgun and/or energy discharge", not "Lazilly pooping out an infinite number of very slow missiles."

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Well, that ending was massively underwhelming.
(Bring) Sajuuk (to bear) is a cool murder-ship, but that final level seemed really lazily-designed.
Oh and then there's the whole "hey, let's bring in more stuff out of the blue!" at the end there.
It's disappointing that this is this series' official ending. :(

Kurieg posted:

Those planetary bombardment platforms seem... misused. With all the pomp and circumstance they put into the cinematic where they rotate into position and deploy the arms in a new configuration. I was expecting something along the lines of "Massive railgun and/or energy discharge", not "Lazilly pooping out an infinite number of very slow missiles."
I guess they were an asset that was developed for something else and was reused as this. It's the one reason I can think of.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah they were developed for HW1. They were the first design for the T-mat, the mysterious pirate race that would just turn up, gently caress you up and leave.

E: And you've said that in the captions. Should really watch the videos through first.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 10, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kurieg posted:

They haf planned to do something like that, but couldn't get the Independence Day-style beam to work properly before its launch deadline.

Really, the point of the Planetkillers was just Relic defiantly going "haha hey look, we finally got the loving T-Mat mothership animation rigging and collision detection hitboxes working!"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Those might be the lamest planet killers I've ever seen in sci-fi. Admittedly badass intro aside, they don't do anything, are completely defenseless, and we saw a fleet consisting of a carrier, a destroyer or two, some frigates, and various strike craft employ them in the first game. I like the idea of this mission, but it's horribly underwhelming like so much else. Including Sajuuk. For a starship god its central superlaser sure doesn't make much of an impression. Sure Sajuuk carved up a shipyard like a Thanksgiving turkey but its main role in the mission is to sit there and slowly make the health bars on the planet killers go down.

What a waste. Homeworld2.txt right there.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Since I mentioned it before, The Age of SJet, the song playing at the end, contains the Hiigaran theme as it swells, which is where I realized that was it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I suppose it should also be said that there are a few things this game does do right. The art team nailed everything, making interesting looking ships and stations for everything, especially the sheer scope of the missions hanging around Karos. Sajuuk and the Vaygr mothership feel lame as hell, but eh. Even the planet killers look nice and very visually distinct from any of the other racial aesthetics. The music team did a fine job, and the full planet killers theme in particular stands out as a lovely piece of music. I also feel the game UI works nicely and that the basic game design - no comment on the mission/campaign design - is sound.

So much potential to this game. So much wasted.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Those might be the lamest planet killers I've ever seen in sci-fi. Admittedly badass intro aside, they don't do anything, are completely defenseless, and we saw a fleet consisting of a carrier, a destroyer or two, some frigates, and various strike craft employ them in the first game. I like the idea of this mission, but it's horribly underwhelming like so much else. Including Sajuuk. For a starship god its central superlaser sure doesn't make much of an impression. Sure Sajuuk carved up a shipyard like a Thanksgiving turkey but its main role in the mission is to sit there and slowly make the health bars on the planet killers go down.

What a waste. Homeworld2.txt right there.

Well, I'll give them this: Since none of the missiles got though, you never actually got to see what they did. Every time a missile gets though, a huge part of the planet in the background turns into a firestorm, so every missile that hits visibly fucks up the planet below. I definitely do think there should have been one planet-killer with a massive defense that tested the entirety of your fleet, though. Maybe with a constant supply of friendly ships fighting in from the sides so you could warp Sajuuk around assisting allies to help them push in from the flanks while the bulk of your fleet charged up the middle.

I was actually with this game all the way up until the end there. It was that ending that finally tore it for me. The whole, 'oh by the way the real prize was that random space artifact. You never saw it but it was totally sweet and changed everything! Good job you are now space-Messiah."

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Gothsheep posted:

Well, I'll give them this: Since none of the missiles got though, you never actually got to see what they did.

Thank you for reminding me. I'll go record that later this evening.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe
This mission made me hate the game.

Homeworld's last mission does a lot of things right that this one doesn't. There, it's the last hurrah of your fleet management skills, against a huge enemy force. The goal is obvious and it's the one you've been working toward the entire time. The siege of Hiigara is so removed from Homeworld 2 proper--you just kind of pass through it in one mission before you can even build Ion Cannon Frigates--that returning to it and seeing that it's still an ongoing concern always felt kind of weird.

In this one, IT'S YOUR FIRST TIME EVER USING SAJUUK. What the gently caress does Sajuuk even do? Sajuuk is the Great Maker, so it should make stuff, right? What does it make? Nothing. It's a slightly bigger version of the dreadnaught, with some secondary weapons. So it's a Battlecruiser on steroids.

It's not even a particularly good battlecruiser on steroids, either, because if you throw Sajuuk into that initial fray, it loving dies, or at least it did on my first playthrough. So the space macguffin isn't worth a moderate-size battlefleet of mediocre composition. I expected it to be the Hyper Beam from Super Metroid at that point--the game proper is over, and this mission is you loving up everything in sight because you already won. You're the Sajuuk-Khar! Instead, it turns out if Makaan had gotten it (HOW could he have possibly done that? Blown up Bentus? With WHAT?) you could've probably stopped him. In fact, doing that might've been a more interesting final mission, and made a lot more sense--the Great Maker, perverted, throwing Atmosphere Deprivation weapons into Hiigara? And what could stand against it? THE BANANASHIP SAVIOR OF HIIGARA HAS RETURNED RESEARCH "THE LADDER" IMMEDIATELY

Of course, I never found out that Sajuuk had the not-scripted hyperdrive, so the mission was an absolute slog when I played it. I forget how I even beat it. Probably by leaving Sajuuk in the back to do nothing. sigh.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
"Bring Sajuuk to bear :black101:" is a pretty great line. Shame about the audio bug and the everything else. :v:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Showing off the death of Sajuuk and the death of Hiigara.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Your subtitles seem to be 30-60 seconds early.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, that was incredibly lame. Other than the prophecy, what's his beef with the Hiigara? Why is he trying to commit genocide? When did Hiigara run out of anti-missile batteries? Why didn't the Vayger have WMDs themselves instead of having to rely on the T-Mats considering the bum gently caress Taidanii forces had those in the first game? gently caress that Ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

oohhboy posted:

Well, that was incredibly lame. Other than the prophecy, what's his beef with the Hiigara? Why is he trying to commit genocide? When did Hiigara run out of anti-missile batteries? Why didn't the Vayger have WMDs themselves instead of having to rely on the T-Mats considering the bum gently caress Taidanii forces had those in the first game? gently caress that Ending.

Makaan only cares about the core until he decides to spite Hiigara for killing him, probably ran out during that whole siege thing (it's on fire too), the missiles are Vaygr supplied and just use the planet killers as a delivery system.

• Locked thread