Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
If you ever get around to playing Homeworld 2 remastered, I found a mod I think you need to install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
One thing berryjon missed showing by being so proactive - the missiles are not auto-targeted. My first attempt I set up ships to screen the missiles of two of them while I attacked the third, and I was shocked with the missiles started hitting Hiigara. Lazy bastards were watching them fly by.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Xenoborg posted:

Your subtitles seem to be 30-60 seconds early.

I... seem to have lost my raw in my haste to push that out.

You know, I can rebuild it once my system stops downloading XCOM. But not tonight.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Those missiles look an awful lot like Taiidan resource collectors.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I just caught up on the LP. Holy crap, what a ludicrous mess. It was tolerably :effort: up to mission 9, but from 10 on it fearlessly plunged straight to the bottom of the deepest barrel it could find, and set up shop.

What a shame.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010

berryjon posted:

Thank you for reminding me. I'll go record that later this evening.

Speaking of reminding, we suddenly got something new to build right there at the end. What the gently caress was it? Or was that some whack-rear end audio bug that shouldn't have played?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have no clue. I think I'll see if a subsystem got destroyed on one of my Battlecruisers or Carrier when I re-re-record that video.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
You know, here's a thing.

Sajuuk can't construct ships, right? So if, say, your fleet is too mauled before the final mission and you lack a ship yard, you can never beat the final mission, because Sajuuk can only lock down one Badguy Squidship at once. So you need to at least come into the final mission with enough of a fleet to handle the other two, OR a shipyard to build that fleet.

What if you're both lacking said fleet AND your shipyard got blown up? Then you're just plain hosed, aren't you? GREAT GAME DESIGN.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well, I mean, you can come into basically any mission with gently caress-all and be completely hosed.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Dabir posted:

Well, I mean, you can come into basically any mission with gently caress-all and be completely hosed.

They'll scale down, though, you'll always be able to build more, and most of the missions start with a brief breather to at least get a few ships out.

I doubt that final mission scales below three of those, though, and you can literally come in with ZERO shipbuilding ability.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
The shipyard is replaceable. I believe it can be 'built' from a carrier, though I honestly can't remember.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gothsheep posted:

The shipyard is replaceable. I believe it can be 'built' from a carrier, though I honestly can't remember.

Mothership :eng101: Its "built" elsewhere and then hyperspaces in when its done.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

In skirmish mode you can build Hyperspace Modules on carriers to call in more, but I doubt the same applies for SP.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Ah. Well then yeah, that's terrible game design. Though to be honest all you really need for that final mission is Sajuuk and a bunch of fighters to chase down missiles.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The funny thing about the final mission in Homeworld Remastered is that Gearbox left the "Bring Sajuuk to bear!" audio bug intact. When they brought back the original Fleet Intel voice actor, they had him say the line three times too. Nor did they fix it in Homeworld 2 Classic.

Though knowing Gearbox they probably left it in intentionally just because it was one of the one really memetic part of the game that people remembered. Like how Guerrilla Games left in the spastic leg twiticing on ragdoll corpses in the Killzone 1 HD remaster just because it was such an iconic bug.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

The funny thing about the final mission in Homeworld Remastered is that Gearbox left the "Bring Sajuuk to bear!" audio bug intact. When they brought back the original Fleet Intel voice actor, they had him say the line three times too. Nor did they fix it in Homeworld 2 Classic.

Though knowing Gearbox they probably left it in intentionally just because it was one of the one really memetic part of the game that people remembered. Like how Guerrilla Games left in the spastic leg twiticing on ragdoll corpses in the Killzone 1 HD remaster just because it was such an iconic bug.

Since when was that a bug? Is it three different readings of a single line that was shoved in as a single audio file without checking or something? I always thought it was the Homeworld equivalent of Lucas having Vader go "Nooooooooooo!" Something that sounded good in one person's head but then when everyone else saw it literally no one else thought so.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

Since when was that a bug? Is it three different readings of a single line that was shoved in as a single audio file without checking or something?

Pretty much.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Yeah, I didn't think that was bug so much as the guy repeating himself for emphasis.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe
I'd be curious to see Sajuuk spawned into the mission with the Keepers. Not that Berryjon didn't keep those at bay perfectly well, but those seemed like far more deadly Progenitor ships than Sajuuk was.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Let's try this one more time:

propatriamori posted:

I'd be curious to see Sajuuk spawned into the mission with the Keepers. Not that Berryjon didn't keep those at bay perfectly well, but those seemed like far more deadly Progenitor ships than Sajuuk was.

Interesting thing to note - only the Mothership can build Keepers. We can't make any more in this last mission.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Keepers, not Movers.

And yes, Keepers have more health and out-DPS Sajuuk. I dunno either.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Now that I have sufficiently de-raged from the end of that game, it's time to move on to skirmish videos!

Looking for 2-3 co-commentators for each of two videos approximately 30 minutes long. One for the Hiigaran Fleet, the other for the Vaygr Fleet. I would like to do at least one video next weekend (Aug 29/30), and I'm hoping that a week and a half would be sufficient time for people to arrange their schedules.

Still debating how to handle the Mods, but I'll get to that later.

tbk
Nov 15, 2010
aren't most mods right now borked for remastered anyway cause they updated/changed some file format definition around again?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

tbk posted:

aren't most mods right now borked for remastered anyway cause they updated/changed some file format definition around again?

I'm not doing remastered. I'm doing Classic HW2!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Someone's mentioned how one of the game's good parts are interesting-looking ship designs: what the gently caress. Every single capital looks like you could put it sideways and use as a gun. loving Sajuuk looks like an overweight tuning fork.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Someone's mentioned how one of the game's good parts are interesting-looking ship designs: what the gently caress. Every single capital looks like you could put it sideways and use as a gun. loving Sajuuk looks like an overweight tuning fork.

There are good ship designs. Saajuk and the Assault RifleDreadnought are not among them.

Still looking for people to commentate! Drop me a line! Or a PM, or post in the thread.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

anilEhilated posted:

In the art book the artists compared Sajuuk to a skull.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

RBA Starblade posted:

In the art book the artists compared Sajuuk to a skull.

A skull from what? :stare:

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
A bird, maybe?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Xenomorph?

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

A duck!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dabir posted:

Xenomorph?

You say that in jest, but there actually is a lot of Alien inspiration in Rob Cunningham's artwork.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

With the Progenitors, they designed the Dreadnought first. It was inspired by "modern" sci-fi, like Halo which in turn was, as mentioned, inspired by Aliens. They describe it, and sci-fi of the time, as diagonal and blocky and weird, eventually referring to it jokingly as a dinosaur skull. Sajuuk is a bird's skull. They could fit in anywhere else as "generic". They were designed to not fit into Homeworld 1; they are new. They could, however, fit into any number of things in 2003, which was kind of the point at the time. Homeworld 1's designs called back to the 70s specifically. Homeworld 2's looked to more modern designs and looked forward to where they might go next; the artists sounded pretty happy with how it turned out in that regard, and I agree. I like Sajuuk's design in particular. This is particularly interesting though when you consider the Hiigaran design. Designed by the Taiidan's artist (who was sick of stripes), he considered the idea of peaceful assimilation; the remaining Taiidan on the planet with the returning Kushan as they worked into the future. The Hiigarans thus still have design elements from Homeworld 1 (most obvious of course in the Pride of Hiigara). The Progenitors are of an alien design. The Vaygr got some stripes. :v:

quote:

Still looking for people to commentate! Drop me a line! Or a PM, or post in the thread.

I'd be down! I have PMs if you want to let me know about it privately. :)

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 29, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The Vaygr are just a bunch of straight Terran Trade Authority ships with the serial numbers filed off :v:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

nine-gear crow posted:

You say that in jest, but there actually is a lot of Alien inspiration in Rob Cunningham's artwork.

There's a reason you can spot the Narcissus in Cataclysm.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

THE BAR posted:

There's a reason you can spot the Narcissus in Cataclysm.

There's data for the lifeboat in HW1 as well, but it was never put anywhere.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe

RBA Starblade posted:

...They could fit in anywhere else as "generic". They were designed to not fit into Homeworld 1; they are new. They could, however, fit into any number of things in 2003, which was kind of the point at the time. Homeworld 1's designs called back to the 70s specifically. Homeworld 2's looked to more modern designs and looked forward to where they might go next...

I think that's why I don't like the HW2 ships. The HW1 ones are recognizable, distinct, and seem fit for their purposes. The HW2 ships could just all fit anywhere else.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

nine-gear crow posted:

The Vaygr are just a bunch of straight Terran Trade Authority ships with the serial numbers filed off :v:

The Hiigarans were the same thing with the number 15 painted on.

(And both of these are good things)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genres: Spiritual, Avant-Garde, Homestuck, Ska

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~