Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

PurpleXVI posted:

Is it a spoiler if I say that HW2 is out to poo poo on everything from Homeworld in some way, including the Bentusi?

No, but details may be spoilerish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
The contempt for the aspects of the game just seems to want to leap off the videos' subtitled commentary and scream in my face.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

PurpleXVI posted:

Is it a spoiler if I say that HW2 is out to poo poo on everything from Homeworld in some way, including the Bentusi?

It would be if it were true.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

J.theYellow posted:

The contempt for the aspects of the game just seems to want to leap off the videos' subtitled commentary and scream in my face.

You haven't seen mission three yet.

You haven't seen Mission Three yet.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

berryjon posted:

I have. You're not letting enough contempt out to play.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

berryjon posted:

WELL THEN GET ON WITH IT :v:

But yeah, having never played this game, it's kind of sad how mediocre it seems, compared to the original. About the only thing I like so far is the squadron system.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Mediocre? Mediocre is this game being good.
The story will get offensive.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012
When I first played this game, it was around Mission 3 I realized that I missed Kiith Somtaaw and the Kuun-Lann immensely. It's even better when you read the manual and you realize that they were the only Kiith who heard Karan's messianic rantings about using the Hyperspace Core and went:

"... Bitch, it's just an Hyperspace Core. We have many, many examples copied from the exact schematics of it. Why the gently caress should we rip apart one of our main shipyards (the Mothership) to give the new Mothership the first copy of the Khar Toba's Core?"

It's as if Kiith Somtaaw was the last remnant of the old continuity and they just straight up refused to accept the new one. I know that if Somtaaw Fleet Command was there during HW2, he'd have called bullshit on a lot of things. God knows his engineers would have been more creative than "Here's incremental armour/speed upgrades".

Mostly, I missed having people who sounded like they cared about what was going on. If you remember Mission 1 of Cataclysm, Somtaaw Fleet Command was clearly unnerved at being even near the main battle, but still willing to help however he could because the Homeworld was at stake.

And in Mission 2 of HW1, when the Khar Selim was missing from the arrival coordinates, Fleet Intelligence and Fleet Command were puzzled underneath the professionalism. When it was found destroyed, they were scared, but keeping it under control. And then there was Mission 3, which was perfect in tone and acting.

Here?

"Oh, Hiigara is sort of under attack. They'll last a few hours, I guess. It's just our sacred Homeworld being threatened by Taidanii Imperialists and Vagyr Crusaders. No need to worry."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don't think mission 3 is actually all that bad since you still aren't facing a tremendous amount of bullshit, just mechanics that seem kind of weird the first time through. Plus you can trivialize mission 3 by moving the mothership (it moves now!) to the shipyard and pumping out marine frigates. Mission 4 though, that's where things go way out of wack.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I do enjoy that the very first thing they show this Mothership doing is firing its engines, as if to say "Yes, you can move this one!"

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Polaron posted:

I do enjoy that the very first thing they show this Mothership doing is firing its engines, as if to say "Yes, you can move this one!"

First thing done in HW1 was test-firing the engines, so it's a direct callback to a better game.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Y'all are not making me want to follow this lp. It's sounding like I should just cherish the memories of the first two games, and pretend HW2 never happened.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Delta Green posted:

"... Bitch, it's just an Hyperspace Core. We have many, many examples copied from the exact schematics of it. Why the gently caress should we rip apart one of our main shipyards (the Mothership) to give the new Mothership the first copy of the Khar Toba's Core?"

The retcon in HW2, and moved into the HW1 Manual for Remastered is that the Khar-Toba's Core was extracted and put into the Mothership as-is. No reverse engineering. No taking it apart to carefully study how it works to build the theory that would allow them to build smaller cores. No building a x12 scale model of the Khar-Toba's FTL engine to install in the massively larger Mothership.

I'm uploading the next video now. My schedule at work is probably going to change soon, but Sundays will still be available for me to work on the LP so I think I'll move the update schedule to Sundays instead of Mondays.

AltaBrown posted:

Y'all are not making me want to follow this lp. It's sounding like I should just cherish the memories of the first two games, and pretend HW2 never happened.

No, please stay. This game is friggen gorgeous. I would ask that you stick around until you can't stand the plot any more, and then let me know when you leave so I can have a metric of how much BS you can take from this game.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

berryjon posted:

The retcon in HW2, and moved into the HW1 Manual for Remastered is that the Khar-Toba's Core was extracted and put into the Mothership as-is. No reverse engineering. No taking it apart to carefully study how it works to build the theory that would allow them to build smaller cores. No building a x12 scale model of the Khar-Toba's FTL engine to install in the massively larger Mothership.

It still is irritating the heck out of me that what was obviously a mass-produced civilian transport with a zillion identical class-mates used for a desperate exodus of ragged refugees is being played up as having contained THE MYSTICAL HYPERSPACE CORE OF DESTINY. And that they're ignoring the entire evidence of multiple societies having long-range FTL capability in Homeworld 1. The Taiidan Empire wouldn't make any sense if they didn't have long-range FTL!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

AltaBrown posted:

The game's story is perfectly fine, it's just science-fantasy now instead of straight up science-fiction. I think a lot of the people in the thread are overreacting. It's mainly the gameplay that's much weaker than it was in HW1 and HW:Cataclysm.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Please buckle your seatbelts, return your trays to the upright and locked position and turn off your electronic devices. The Plot is about to take a sharp curve in the last three minutes, and the rabbit hole only goes deeper.

I think I lost my analogy somewhere in there....

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

I thought it was that they supersized the module but kept the core that runs it the same.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
It was never fixed? :psyduck:

Granted, I'm not a programmer, but how hard can it be to adjust a variable value with a patch? :psyduck:

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Mikl posted:

Granted, I'm not a programmer, but how hard can it be to adjust a variable value with a patch? :psyduck:

Hard enough that they released an entirely 'remastered edition' and didn't fix it. I have no idea why. Maybe with the game's 'scaling difficulty' thing, people were getting murdered by enemy frigate fleets at the earlier levels when they had actual armor?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Sooooooooooo, I've gotta ask, the Harbor Ship is called the last of the Bentusi.....What exactly happened to everyone else? I know some left the galaxy, but there seemed to be plenty left in the galaxy, and they seemed to be pretty on top of their form in terms of power.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The Bentusi showing up was awesome. Also, notice how they can fly into their hyperspace window instead of being motionless and the window "consuming" the ship? Amazing.

Now we learn more about the overarching story. While it's admittedly of a different nature than in the two previous games, it's pretty engaging if you approach it open-minded.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gothsheep posted:

Hard enough that they released an entirely 'remastered edition' and didn't fix it. I have no idea why. Maybe with the game's 'scaling difficulty' thing, people were getting murdered by enemy frigate fleets at the earlier levels when they had actual armor?

Are you guys sure they didn't fix it in Remastered? I heard a lot of talk about how they did (and broke flak frigates/missile corvettes so they do double damage to everything now).

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Part of me is still impressed with the graphics; while space-based games tend to have it relatively easy in making really pretty skyboxes (Eg. Freelancer, Sins of a Solar Empire, Elite: Dangerous, All the Homeworld games, et al.), I want to find the voice director and punch him in the balls until he learns that 'Ship is Under Attack' should not be used like it's a loving comma.

Especially when you compare to Cataclysm, which had individual comments and curses from each type of vessel, and far less wooden commentary from your Command Ship.

As for why the Harbour Ship is called 'The Last' of the Bentusi, based upon my understanding of the storyline et al, every last Tradeship disappeared from the galaxy around 50-odd years back, leaving only the harbour ship, which is ~Supposed~ to be so large that a tradeship looks like a frigate next to it.

http://shipyards.relicnews.com/hw2/images/homeworld210.jpg Shows concept art from the game, and yes, that's a tradeship leaving the central dock.

Honestly, as far as I've been able to tell, there's no real reason given for the complete disappearance of the Bentusi, and I honestly doubt that any explanation given would hold up against real scrutiny.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Mikl posted:

This assumes Relic was given enough support by their Publisher to do a patch, or that their Publisher gave a poo poo about Homeworld in any fashion at the time.

Also pretty sure that particular bug was Fixed for Remaster, Remaster has it's own funny Bugs, like the Fighter Kamikaze damage value that had a couple zero's added and let a handful kill an MS.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Sooooooooooo, I've gotta ask, the Harbor Ship is called the last of the Bentusi.....What exactly happened to everyone else? I know some left the galaxy, but there seemed to be plenty left in the galaxy, and they seemed to be pretty on top of their form in terms of power.

Buy the strategy guide to find out!

I actually never read it myself but I think I read somewhere that Makaan and the Vagyr hunted them down because apparently they can do that.

AltaBrown posted:

Stay for the visual and sound design at the very least.

Torrannor posted:

The game's story is perfectly fine, it's just science-fantasy now instead of straight up science-fiction. I think a lot of the people in the thread are overreacting. It's mainly the gameplay that's much weaker than it was in HW1 and HW:Cataclysm.

It's a combination of some bad gameplay design and weird/unnecessary/dumb retcons that don't add a single thing, even to the story that was presented.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I'm really glad I never got this game.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

I'm really glad I never got this game.

The LP Subforum: "We Play games, so you don't have to!"

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

berryjon posted:

The LP Subforum: "We Play games, so you don't have to!"

The thing is, I like continuity. Building on the established canon in new and interesting directions. This is just... sloppy. Really, really sloppy.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Mikl posted:

Because it doesn't work the way the video claims it does.

Weapon data for the Hiigaran Interceptor:

--===========================================================================
-- Purpose : Lua definition file for Homeworld Ship.
-- Contains loading information and flight dynamics information (among other things?)
--
-- Copyright Relic Entertainment, Inc. All rights reserved.
StartWeaponConfig(NewWeaponType,"Gimble","Bullet","Kinetic_Rapid","Normal",2200,1600,0,0,0,0,1,1,0,0.6,1.3,0.8,0,0,0,0,0.1,"Normal",0,0,0);
AddWeaponResult(NewWeaponType,"Hit","DamageHealth","Target",37,37,"");
setPenetration(NewWeaponType,5,1,{MediumArmour=0.70},{PlanetKillerArmour=0},{SubSystemArmour=3},{ResArmour=0.6});
setAccuracy(NewWeaponType,1,{Fighter=0.13},{Corvette=0.3},{munition=0.2},{Frigate=0.6,damage=1},{SmallCapitalShip=0.6,damage=1},{BigCapitalShip=0.6,damage=1},{ResourceLarge=0.6,damage=1});
setAngles(NewWeaponType,25,0,0,0,0);

The simplified way to read this without delving into DPS/shots per burst and all that is that the maximum single shot damage of the Hiigaran Interceptor is (damage * penetration) or 37*0.7 (frigates have "medium" armor class, which has no numbers or math associated with it, it is just a name).

What berryjon purports is that the ",damage=1"in the "setAccuracy" section (Frigate=0.6,damage=1) "sets the frigate armor to 1 and causes all weapons to do full damage against them". This would be 100% true IF the ",damage=1" flag was set in the setPenetration section.

Relic generated weapon files from an Excel sheet. Through either bug or last minute design regret the Excel file exports the ",damage=1" flag into the setAccuracy section instead of setPenetration. We'll never know if it was intentional or if they even realized.

This is actually super easy to verify yourself. Change the Hiigaran Interceptor weapon to:

-- Contains loading information and flight dynamics information (among other things?)
--
StartWeaponConfig(NewWeaponType,"Gimble","Bullet","Kinetic_Rapid","Normal",2200,1600,0,0,0,0,1,1,0,0.6,1.3,0.8,0,0,0,0,0.1,"Normal",0,0,0);
AddWeaponResult(NewWeaponType,"Hit","DamageHealth","Target",20000,20000,"");
setPenetration(NewWeaponType,5,1,{MediumArmour=0.01});
setAccuracy(NewWeaponType,1,{Frigate=0.6,damage=1});

And a single interceptor will do 200 damage a shot to a Frigate (240 actually since most frigates have 1.2 damage multiplier applied to them in their .ship files).

where

--
setPenetration(NewWeaponType,5,1,{MediumArmour=0.01,damage=1});
setAccuracy(NewWeaponType,1,{Frigate=0.6});

or even

--

will kill a frigate in a single shot because the ",damage=1" has been moved into the section where the code actually looks for that flag. Frigates are pretty crappy because they effectively have 20% less health than listed (due to taking 1.2 damage from the side and rear) and because they are invariably the highest on the targeting priority list of other ships. And their counters are roughly 3 times the cost, and have roughly 5 times the health and antifrigate damage.

But it's not due to this "bug".

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm having trouble following all the details there. Are you saying the "frigate armor bug" is basically a myth?

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 3, 2015

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I have a question about adaptive difficulty. First, you explained that the more ships you got, more ships the enemy will have. Then you decided to first collect all resources on the map before repairing that shipyard, thus making many new ships. Did that changed the number of carriers that attacked you later in the mission or the effect would only be seen in the next mission?

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.

nweismuller posted:

The Taiidan Empire wouldn't make any sense if they didn't have long-range FTL!

I'd have said the Taiidan Empire wouldn't make any sense if it did have long-range FTL. The Taiidan are shown as a corrupt, mostly feudal society, where individual sectors seem to be mostly independent of each other and much of the empire doesn't know what much of the rest of it is doing; it certainly doesn't succeed correctly at passing information along about the exiles efficiently and neither the Loyalists nor the Rebels seem to be able to effect significant fleet concentrations when they really want to. Come on, the Empire has the resources of most of a galaxy available to it, and it never manages to throw enough ships together in the same place to overwhelm either the Mothership or even a single Bentusi Tradeship? For that matter, it permits the Great Nebula to remain effectively outside of its remit despite being inside its territory entirely? The first game makes an awful lot more sense if you assume the Taiidan can't move anywhere near as fast as the Exiles can.

edit: and of course in Cataclysm there's the line "we're headed back to Hiigara, making maximum range hyperspace jumps" with the implication being they'll need several, which is definitely not how the Mothership worked in the original. There's a lot to object to in HW2's plot, but the Mothership's hyperdrive being special is actually one of the things that makes a certain amount of sense.

Ilanin fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 3, 2015

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Are you guys sure they didn't fix it in Remastered? I heard a lot of talk about how they did (and broke flak frigates/missile corvettes so they do double damage to everything now).

I am not, no. I don't have the Remastered version myself, I'm just going off of what was said in the previous thread.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Sindai posted:

I'm having trouble following all the details there. Are you saying the "frigate armor bug" is basically a myth?

Yeah, sorry if that was obtuse.

There is no such thing as armor class having a value. As far as Homeworld is concerned "MediumArmour" is just a name to compare against.

in my example:

--
setPenetration(NewWeaponType,5,1,{MediumArmour=0.01});

the single shot damage is 20,000 and the penetration value against MediumArmour (Frigates have "MediumArmour") is 0.01 then a bullet striking any ship with MediumArmour would do 20000x.01 or 200 for each hit.

The ",damage=1" flag essentially means "bypass the penetration multiplier". so:

AND

setPenetration(NewWeaponType,5,1,{MediumArmour=1.0});

give the exact same result- a 20000 damage hit. If you are confused because you are asking yourself "What is the point? Why would I ever not just have the multiplier = 1.0?" then you are not crazy, this is legitimately a confusing decision on Relic's part. Regardless, it doesn't work because it is in the wrong place. There was never a bug that made frigates fragile but there was a bug that made them not as fragile as they were "intended". (well somebody intended at some point, I guess. I mean there is code to bypass the penetration and somebody took the time to try and increase the damage done against frigates and larger ships, they just didn't succeed at it).

In Homeworld 2, Armor is Health so setting armor to "1" is the equivalent to setting a ships health to "1" which would be pretty obvious. Frigates die when you look at them sideways but they aren't quite "1" health fragile. You could change all instances of "MediumArmour" with "12feetofsteel" in the weapons and set all frigates to have the armorclass of "12feetofsteel" and as long as you defined "12feetofsteel" in familylist.lua it would work and you would see frigates taking the same amount of damage.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Disco Infiva posted:

I have a question about adaptive difficulty. First, you explained that the more ships you got, more ships the enemy will have. Then you decided to first collect all resources on the map before repairing that shipyard, thus making many new ships. Did that changed the number of carriers that attacked you later in the mission or the effect would only be seen in the next mission?

Next mission.

Mind if I eat some crow, and toss this into the OP?

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Two things...

A) Adaptive difficulty is based off the endgame .lua files that record your fleet's state at the end of each mission to carry to the next. It's 'adaptive' in so much as the enemies make up is mathmatically generated from what yours is. For fun I usually cheat and add about 50 battlecruisers to my fleet, which causes a particular mission to turn ANY computer I have into a slide show because the adaptive response to that is by pitching 200 interceptor squadrons at you (for some reason).

B) Uhh... so I own the Strat Guide. And here's it's discussion about what happened between game 1 and this one.

Homeworld Strategy Guide, Page 177 Appendix C “History of Hiigara” posted:

Life on Kharak
For 3000 years, the Exiles survived on Kharak. Hiigara became a legend, and in time even the legend was forgotten. This all changed when a satellite discovered an ancient starship buried in the sand. Inside lay the Guidestone and the word “Hiigara,” home, etched on it's surface. But this was not the only discovery, for deep within the ruin lay the ancient Hyperspace Core. When once it had resulted in their Exile, this core would now return the Exiles home.
The blueprints of the core were integrated and expanded upon, or so the Hiigarans presumed. In fact, the core itself remained at the heart of the Mothership's drive. It was merely the containment unit that had been expanded to account for the stresses of sending a Mothership class vessel through hyperspace. The containment units, which had proven perfectly sufficient onboard Sajuuk's Wrath, were unusable due to the substantially lower energy output of post-Exile technology.
Despite having brought the core with them, the Hiigarans had no understanding of its power or its true origins until 40 years after their arrival on Hiigara, when the first documents explaining its history were unearthed. Accompanying these documents were a collection of blueprints and schematics remarkably similar to those produce thousands of years later by the engineers who built the Mothership.
However, further delving into the archives revealed that the cores possesed by the Hiigarans and the Bentusi represented two fo three powerful artifacts dating far beyond the reach of history.

Blessing or Curse
Reports differed depending on the sourse. Some stated that these cores were a gift from Sajuuk, the Great Maker, to his favored children. Others suggested they may have been forged at the same time as the universe itself, within the same forge which Sajuuk had hammered the sky from raw thought. Still more implied the cores survived from a time before time, when gods traveled the stars in search of races to endow with sentience for their amusement. More mundane, but mentioned in several key writings, was the possibility they were merely leftovers from an empire that had fallen many hundreds of thousands of years prior.
Yet all the documents, while differeing in many areas, agreed upon one fact When the third of the cores is unearthed, it will mark the beginning of the End Time. Judgement will come upon the children of Sajuuk, and only the Sajuuk-Khar, the chosen people, will stand unchanged by His Hand.

Mother of a New Hiigaran Age
Depate raged through the Diamid for many years after the Hiigarans returned home reguarding what should be done with this ancient core. The kiith Nabaal and Makaan both argued in favor of restoring the core to active service, while Kiith Soban and Somtaaw thought the past was better left buried. However, in reality, all awaited the verdict of one Kiith on the matter.
Ultimately the decision lay not with Kiith S'jet, but in the hands of it's most honored and respected member, Karan S'jet. As the pioneer of the neural interface that made the motherships journey possible, and the mind behind its pilgrimage, hers was without doubt the most respected opinion on Hiigara. All the more so because it was so rarely given, and even then only on matters of grave import. There was no doubt that in a matter tied so closely to the history of their people and technology of the Hyperspace Cores, Karan's opinion, if given, would be the deciding factor for the Diamid.
Her connection to the Mothership had permanently changed Karan. The years since the return to Hiigara did not show upon her features, nor had she lost any of the sharpness or incisive intelligence that had allowed her to both develop the first neural link, and guide the mothership through the trials it had undergone traveling to Hiigara.
Yet Karan had withdrawn from any involvement in governance almost immediately after reaching Hiigara. While never detailing her reasons, she had made it clear that being connected to the core had changed the way she saw both the world and the stars. Already regarded as a savior, her distance from the public eye actually enhanced her status as an enigmatic messiah, and the cult of personality that had already begun to form around her was growing daily. Already various groups were offering insights into her every word, and icons depicting her embedded within the bridge of the mothership were sold on every corner of Hiigara.

The Core at Rest
On the matter of the ancient core, she offered a rare public opinion, outlining the matter in the simplist terms. The core, regardless of the power it offered, was best left as a publically acessible monument to the trials and triumphs of the Hiigaran people and the mysteries that still remain to be resolved, rather than being pressed into active service. After all, while it would offer near limitless travel to the fleets of hiigara, it was a freedom that would merely distract from the duties at hand. With the process of rebuilding still ongoing, the population of Hiigara was still only barely sufficient to protect the nearby sectors of space, let alone to travel across the galaxy in safety.
Following her wishes, a museum was founded at Assaam Kiith'sid, also the home of the planetary government. Here the core and the history of it's origins were made available to any and all who cared to visit. For many, it was the first chance to see the instrument of their salvation, and also to reflect upon it's role in their exile. Also including the few artifacts brought with the Hiigarans from Kharak and many new discoveries unearthed upon Hiigara, the museum reflected past, present, and future of the Hiigaran People.

Enemies Old and new.
So the reconstruction of Hiigara continued for a time. Yet the matter of the core was not settled. Rumors soon began to reach Hiigara of rising conflict in the Eastern Fringes, long a war-torn zone constantly harassed by forces from the Vaygr Reaches. However, the nature of the conflict had recently undregone a dramatic change. Where previously small, disorganized raiding parties had launched guerilla raids upon the fringes, now they came with overwhelming force, pressing relentlessly onwards. It would appear that a new warlord had taken control of the splintered Vaygr tribes and the Taiidan remnants, and united them beneath a single banner. Known only as Makaan, his advance could no longer be dismissed or ignored. What had been a nuisance for hundreds of years had become something substantially different, a holy crusade with Hiigara as its destination.
Analysis of Makaan's movements had allowed but one conclusion. He was headed in the direction of Hiigara and along the way was gathering a fleet larger than any since the time of Exile. Furthermore, the manner and speed with which is fleet was traveling had a chilling implication. The Third Core, spoken of in prophecy and myth, had been found and was in his hands.
The arrival of the Vaygr also frayed the Galactic Council, and the Vaygr incursions started a series of border clashes that quickly spread like wildfire. Within a few short years, the entire Inner Rim was at war. Many pleaded with the Bentusi to intervene, but they remained enigmatically distant. The fate of the Inner Rim was not theirs to decide. With war spreading and tensions high, the Galactic Council fractured, and an institution that had survived the millennia collapsed.
His people worshipped him as the Sajuuk-Khar, the chosen one foretold by prophecy to lead his people to conquest and salvation. He had not only united the Vaygr, he had given them a cause, a dream, a reason to fight. It quickly became clear that the Eastern Fringes, long a safe buffer against Vaygr incursins, would not hold more than a few months, at most, against this newly organized horde.

Makaan and the Sajuuk-Khar
Under Makaan, the Vaygr were moving with unheard of strength, speed, and numbers. Planets fell before his force and were stripped of every available resource and left barren. These resources simply acted to bolster a growing war fleet and carry Makaan to yet more triumphant victories.
Like a wave of Locusts, the forces of Makaan swept unstoppably foreward, seemingly without any goal but the destruction of all that lay before them. It was only by piecing together reports of various individuals who had escaped the attacks that the matter finally became clear.
Again the Diamid looked toward Karan for guidance, and this time her advice was to attempt the reactivation of the ancient Core. However, if this was to take place she had a request. Again, she would be the one to join with the Core via her neural links. In her words, “I did not lead my people to their home in order to allow their destruction now. If the call has come to defend Hiigara then I must do so. It is neither duty nor obligation that drives me, it is simply what must be”.
The Diamid attempted to persuade Karan to reconsider, explaining that there were many other people capable, better trained, and possessed of the same neural link that had once made Karan unique. Hundreds of hyperspace capable ships had been built since Karan had led the first Mothership to Hiigara, and advances had been made in both technology and technique. More importantly Karan was of great importance to the people of hiigara as both a focus of faith and as a figurehead. Yet Karan would not be swayed from her decision. If the core was to be reactivated and the fleet of Makaan held at bay, it would be her mind at the helm. Thus when the construction of the new mothership, the Pride of Hiigara, was begun at tanis, Karan was there to oversee the final elements and tests, along with the ancient core that was to be installed within it. Her mind was to guide it in the coming times, for she understood what the appearance of Makaan and his possession of the Third Core implied.

The End Times had begun.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

berryjon posted:

Next mission.

Mind if I eat some crow, and toss this into the OP?

There's no crow here dude-a lot of this knowledge actually stemmed from a comment you made (in video or thread, I don't remember) during your Cataclysm play through. I was determined to find this bug you had mentioned to ensure that HW:R did not ship with such a debilitating bug it so in actuality you set all the research into motion (and in doing so made me scrutinize why frigates are so bad). They should see a significant improvement in future HW:R patches.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

"Yo, I heard y'all needed some plot in this game so here it is. Peace, I'm out."

That certainly is, uh, one way to bring the Bentusi back.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Ship under attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Tail
Jan 3, 2012

"I am the beginning and the end. The alpha and the omega. The first and the last."

Chaos Dunk
Is it bad that I really hope Sajuuk is actually the Beast.

• Locked thread