Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
real_slime

by Lowtax
that is a much better way of saying what i was trying to say

edit: new page so this is what i was responding to (for your convenience)

quote:

It’s not that I’m not social. I’m social enough. But the tools you guys create actually manufacture unnaturally extreme social needs. No one needs the level of contact you’re purveying. It improves nothing. It’s not nourishing. It’s like snack food. You know how they engineer this food? They scientifically determine precisely how much salt and fat they need to include to keep you eating. You’re not hungry, you don’t need the food, it does nothing for you, but you keep eating these empty calories. This is what you’re pushing. Same thing. Endless empty calories, but the digital-social equivalent. And you calibrate it so it’s equally addictive.

You know how you finish a bag of chips and you hate yourself? You know you’ve done nothing good for yourself. That’s the same feeling, and you know it is, after some digital binge. You feel wasted and hollow and diminished.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.H

August is the Cruelest Month

real_slime posted:

Having no internet is pretty crappy really.

The thing is when you don't have it, it is crap, but then afterwards you remember how long those days seemed and the unusual things you got up to like checking out some shop or yeah reading that book.

I've gotten closer to mastering stuff like reading and doing non-internet things for a whole day at a time while having full internet access. Forums and stuff are a good comfort thing, make you feel like you are a part of society without actually
having to go through the terrible process of taking a chance on real people who will make you feel kinda weird and bad for some reason, but you can spend 3 or 4 hours and realise you've done nothing but that all day, feel like your brain is
completely pickled and you are wasting your life like this, and that's bad too. So it's just about getting a balance.

I bet after about 2 weeks few people would miss the internet beyond a 'hm email was more convenient' kind of way. Even having all this access to music and film and stuff - who cares. It's probably bad for really enjoying stuff like
that since it's so disposable because it is unlimited.

Hard to describe...just that feeling of actually being in your own life rather than grabbing for this spectral social zeitgeist and connection thing.

Just relax. Try and learn to be okay with this and then don't just binge when you get the net back.

Honestly, the most difficult part for me was a few hours at home when I had no phone or internet and I suddenly realized I gotta meet someone, anyone, since everyone was partying outside (evening of Independence day) and I stupidly forgot to make plans. I went outside to ask people for phonecalls till I found a friend who had the time and desire to meet me, but that feeling of isolation was awful.
I didn't actually miss not being able to go on Facebook or something (except to contact people whom I couldn't reach via phone).

joke_explainer

What is that eggers dude even talking about? What is the social equivalent of snack food, like Twitter?

joke_explainer

Or does he mean like board game night or other contrivances to hang out vs organic activities?

i am he

joke_explainer posted:

What is that eggers dude even talking about? What is the social equivalent of snack food, like Twitter?

He's an idiot.

real_slime

by Lowtax

i am he posted:

He's an idiot.

He means that drive to go online when you don't really have any reason to, to places like here or wherever - fb, twitter - doesn't actually satisfy your basic social need just in of itself, but people do it every day anyway the same way that we grab for a snickers between meals even though we probably don't need it and might feel a bit lovely because of it afterwards. It can be good and satisfying if you use it in the right way but there's always a danger of just reaching for it cos you're slightly bored, or having unpleasant thoughts (or the threat of them cropping up without you being totally conscious of it). It's all pretty related in the underlying motivations we have for various compulsive behaviour. Making life fun and interesting all the time is hard work so we just grab stuff nearby for that quick shot. Since it's so easy you can wind up only going for the quick shot and never putting any effort into the real thing which leaves you satisfied and improved most of the time rather than the reverse.

It's really not such a contrived analogy.

----------------

Wertjoe

H.H posted:

Honestly, the most difficult part for me was a few hours at home when I had no phone or internet and I suddenly realized I gotta meet someone, anyone, since everyone was partying outside (evening of Independence day) and I stupidly forgot to make plans. I went outside to ask people for phonecalls till I found a friend who had the time and desire to meet me, but that feeling of isolation was awful.
I didn't actually miss not being able to go on Facebook or something (except to contact people whom I couldn't reach via phone).

I didn't have internet or a phone for about a year and after a few months I just got used to it. My friends would randomly show up at my house which was cool but mostly I worked on projects and read a lot of books. It also fixed the sleeping issues that plagued me since middle school.

Mapparu

Wertjoe posted:

I didn't have internet or a phone for about a year and after a few months I just got used to it. My friends would randomly show up at my house which was cool but mostly I worked on projects and read a lot of books. It also fixed the sleeping issues that plagued me since middle school.

the Internet is honestly more of a distraction for me honestly :shrug:
but id rather hang out here and chillax on friday nights than go outside :shrug:

i am he

real_slime posted:

He means that drive to go online when you don't really have any reason to, to places like here or wherever - fb, twitter - doesn't actually satisfy your basic social need just in of itself, but people do it every day anyway the same way that we grab for a snickers between meals even though we probably don't need it and might feel a bit lovely because of it afterwards. It can be good and satisfying if you use it in the right way but there's always a danger of just reaching for it cos you're slightly bored, or having unpleasant thoughts (or the threat of them cropping up without you being totally conscious of it). It's all pretty related in the underlying motivations we have for various compulsive behaviour. Making life fun and interesting all the time is hard work so we just grab stuff nearby for that quick shot. Since it's so easy you can wind up only going for the quick shot and never putting any effort into the real thing which leaves you satisfied and improved most of the time rather than the reverse.

It's really not such a contrived analogy.

I don't do any of that stuff.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

I've reverted to pooping in the toilet. ugh

Afro Doug

yo check out dosoyevsky over here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zidane13

by Smythe
Thanks for getting real, slime. It's good to see effort put back into the internet.

----------------

• Locked thread