Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

gnrk posted:

you tards, bring your cables to an Apple Store and walk out with free ones

I just want a god drat cheap cable ffs why do I have to do this cloak and dagger bs

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

apple is loving us again!!!!!

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i have literally never, in the past decade, ruined any cable that came with my apple product. that includes a powerbook g4, black macbook, retina macbook pro, like 6 ipods, an iphone 4s/5s/6 etc . idk wtf you retards are doing

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

apple store lets you replace their brand apple lightning connector with a 10 foot insignia lightning connector for free?

you know there is such a thing as usb extension cables

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Ludwig van Halen posted:

you know there is such a thing as usb extension cables

I have a really long one that I leave plugged in but coiled on my couch cushion backs and a lot of times I have company and they're like "hey you got a plug?" And I say just you wait... I have the LONG cable " and blood their freaking minds

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

pram posted:

i have literally never, in the past decade, ruined any cable that came with my apple product. that includes a powerbook g4, black macbook, retina macbook pro, like 6 ipods, an iphone 4s/5s/6 etc . idk wtf you retards are doing
same. though i've owned poo poo tops that also never got destroyed, so maybe i'm just incredibly gentle with my electronic devices

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
i never hosed up an ipod cable but my monoprice 30 pin fell apart. still works though.

some of us are just good at stuff

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I've had to rma mono price lightning cables twice. second time they credited me cause I guess they didn't have any in stock or a eta on when they would. eventually they started selling them again

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
When I got my iPhone 5 (whenever they launched). I picked up a spare  brand lightning cable. That cable and the one that came with the phone still work and are in great shape.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
how much do they cost from Apple? $30 or smth for a 3 foot cable

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

im on my fourth magsafe 1 power adapter for my mba 2011 they always fray at the magsafe end because i leave it plugged into the mba on the coffee table and they hang constantly the one direction

its really the only complaint i have about this computer tho

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ive had one or two lightning cables that had a pin on one side corrode from moisture or something so they would only charge in one orientation

i just take it to an apple store and they don't even check it they just give me a new one

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
monoprice cables have been garbage lately i had to rma two RCA to 3.5 cables they were hosed

also with pram on this one ive never broke any of my apple cables wtf are you human being children doing

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

LastInLine posted:

im on my fourth magsafe 1 power adapter for my mba 2011 they always fray at the magsafe end because i leave it plugged into the mba on the coffee table and they hang constantly the one direction

its really the only complaint i have about this computer tho

tbh "i've had to drop $300 on power supplies because they keep breaking" is a pretty big complaint. unless the apple store will just throw a new one at you if you bring the old one in in which case I need to run to the apple store to get one replaced right now.

also if you need a new lighting cable amazon's lighting cables are the bomb.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

pram posted:

well you don't really go anywhere

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Smythe posted:

and blood their freaking minds

:ohdear:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Where I work, the only cable and charger we actually buy new from aliexpress and keep in stock are Lightning cables and Magsafe chargers. This is because there is constant and high demand for both, and because we almost never get a working one in. All the ones people drop off for recycling, with or without the things they came with, don't work.

e: we charge $10 for cables and $45 for chargers and they both last longer than the apple ones. lol.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 22, 2015

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

PuTTY riot posted:

how much do they cost from Apple? $30 or smth for a 3 foot cable

30 bucks for 1.5ft i think

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the power brick is like 20 bucks too i think. i buy them al lthe time for satania

idiotbitch
Jul 16, 2013
every lightning cable I buy from the dollar store works like 3 times max. the one that came with my phone stopped working... but i still swear by official cables only. but my car charger is 3rd party and has been great

thoughts, thread?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
dollar store cables are extremely fail

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ear buds too. they dont even loving work. freakin POS

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I bought an aftermarket waterproofed ipod for swimming and the company gave me the non-waterproof apple earbuds the thing came with.

These are goddamn awful. Their chord is just short enough to not let me put the thing in my pocket without having the buds tug at my ears.

In Apple's defense the ipod comes with a belt clip, so I imagine I'm not using the headphones right as they're only supposed to be used on a device that I clip to my pants.

idiotbitch
Jul 16, 2013
where do i get the best cheap cables:ninja:

idiotbitch
Jul 16, 2013

Smythe posted:

ear buds too. they dont even loving work. freakin POS

yeah i pay $15 minimum now. but my two main pairs now are $50-$70:hehe:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

idiotbitch posted:

where do i get the best cheap cables:ninja:

just heat up a fork over a fire and bend it into a shape that will connect your device to the wall, the thicker the fork the faster it will chrage too

Addz
Apr 13, 2015
quit complaining and pay 50bux for your official break in 6months instead of 6days iCables™

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Smythe posted:

the power brick is like 20 bucks too i think. i buy them al lthe time for satania

wish I worked for Carlos Santana doing his cables

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

echinopsis posted:

wish I worked for Carlos Santana doing his cables

he prolly treats his roadies right

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
earpods and lightning cables are in a sense indestructible since my line and my wife's line upgrades are up exactly a year apart, so they're under warranty for eternity or until they change plugs.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

ShadowHawk posted:

I bought an aftermarket waterproofed ipod for swimming and the company gave me the non-waterproof apple earbuds the thing came with.

These are goddamn awful. Their chord is just short enough to not let me put the thing in my pocket without having the buds tug at my ears.

In Apple's defense the ipod comes with a belt clip, so I imagine I'm not using the headphones right as they're only supposed to be used on a device that I clip to my pants.

what kind of headphones do u swim with?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

:chord:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

tbh "i've had to drop $300 on power supplies because they keep breaking" is a pretty big complaint. unless the apple store will just throw a new one at you if you bring the old one in in which case I need to run to the apple store to get one replaced right now.

also if you need a new lighting cable amazon's lighting cables are the bomb.
there was the one that came with it

the one they replaced under applecare

the one i found at an estate sale for $5

and the one i bought

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

PuTTY riot posted:

what kind of headphones do u swim with?
I use the bone conducting headphones that rest just below your earholes and wrap around your head - kinda mediocre out of the water but they work great submerged.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my 4yo told me
today that tomato sauce tastes like bones

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

echinopsis posted:

my 4yo told me

BARONS MISSING METATARSALS

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

pram posted:

same but with more cables and chargers that's left everywhere

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

echinopsis posted:

my 4yo told me

I told you that wasn't a good place to hide the bodies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

@ apple visual aesthetics come before functionality