Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Trailer 2
Trailer 3

Age of Ultron opens today in Europe and on May 1 in America. Reviews are already trickling in.

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 74%
Metacritic Score: 66/100

BIFFORD'S REVIEW
Is it good? Yes. Is it as good as The Avengers (2012)? About as good, I'd say. On one hand, the script is not quite as tight as the previous movie. It bounces here and there. Ultron's motives don't make a whole lot of sense; Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch's motivations are likewise a little weak. Vision is superfluous - one extra plate for Joss Whedon to spin. He's also dull as dishwater. I feel like he was shoehorned into the film because Whedon felt he needed to tick off one more character from the comic book roster.

One the plus side, there's more character building this time around, and it was a surprise to see Hawkeye becoming the emotional heart of the movie. Ultron is a funny and scary villain, every bit as enjoyable as Loki was in The Avengers. The action sequences are bigger and better.

DO NOT FORGET TO USE SPOILER TAGS FOR THE NEXT FEW WEEKS

Let the over-analysis begin...

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I can't decide if this movie will have more robots, or more Avengers, but I think having a couple that can be on both sides of the equation doesn't help things.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It's dark times in the Marvelverse when the best/most competent movie is a sequel to Captain America, of all things.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
Already bought tickets to see the 3d version later this afternoon (asia pacific time). Can't wait.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Drifter posted:

It's dark times in the Marvelverse when the best/most competent movie is a sequel to Captain America, of all things.

If these films represent the dark times for Marvel then I can't loving wait for the good times.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Colonel Whitey posted:

If these films represent the dark times for Marvel then I can't loving wait for the good times.

Once Deadpool kills the Marvel Universe they'll be able to reboot and then we'll get another 5 Spider-Man movies.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Drifter posted:

Once Deadpool kills the Marvel Universe they'll be able to reboot and then we'll get another 5 Spider-Man movies.

Hopefully with 3 brand new takes on the origin story!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I can't wait to see it and then immediately forget about it forever.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Martman posted:

I can't wait to see it and then immediately forget about it forever.

Then why see it?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Oasx posted:

Then why see it?
Because I need to make sure the moviemakers understand that Hulk is the best, of course.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Well might as well get some of the spoilers out of the way.

The characters who end up dead are:

Quicksilver and Ultron.

Quicksilver get's wasted saving Hawkeye's life. Ultron has his connection to the internet severed and all his bodies are destroyed. If he comes back, they need to do a bunch of mental gymnastics.

Does Shield appear with Nick Fury?

Yup. Nick Fury appears at the end with a Helicarrier he scraps together. No sign of Agent Coulson or anyone from Agenst of Shield though.

What cameo's were alluded to but didn't make it

Spiderman and Loki are both MIA

What's Ultron's Doomsday plan?

You'd think it would be something obvious like Ultron's just building an infinite number of droids to overwhelm humanity and wipe it out or just go Skynet and launch nuclear weapons.

Nope. Instead his plan is to lift an entire city by using Vibranium high enough, then crash it down in order to create an extinction class event.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm going the gently caress in.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Shadoer posted:

Spoilers

Since you're doing spoilers(even though this question isn't really a spoiler), whats the origin of SW/QS powers? Are they inhuman or something to do with the staff or both?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Drifter posted:

You spelled "Guardians of the Galaxy" wrong.

Though aside from a lot of depressingly bad CG the second Captain America movie was darn good!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Away all Goats posted:

Since you're doing spoilers(even though this question isn't really a spoiler), whats the origin of SW/QS powers? Are they inhuman or something to do with the staff or both?

Something to do with the staff that's never clearly explained.

What's weird (but I guess understandable) is how much the film directly continues from Avengers while ignoring all the films in the interim. Iron Man 3 may as well not have happened and I thought Captain America and Black Widow were sort of fugitives or something at the end of Winter Soldier.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

so ultron's plot is basically a ripoff of graviton's plans from the best avengers adaptation, Earth's Mightiest Heroes

also he is apparently Lawnmower Man

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
Just got back from watching this an hour ago and was surprised by how good and complex the action scenes were. I'd say 3d is worth it here.

There were also lots of team sequences where it shows them combining or using powers for different moves. In the first avengers it happened maybe a couple times since they were unfamiliar with each other.

I was also quite surprised how well the moments worked where they're just sitting around relaxing and talking. The drama never felt a bit rushed like in the first either.

Lots of funny moments with Thor's hammer. It was such a central focus at times it was practically another character. Especially: When the avengers all take turns trying to lift the hammer while drinking and the insecure and then relieved look on Thor's face when Captain America fails to lift it. Also, when vision picks it up like nothing near the end and gives it back.

Definitely better than avengers 1.

Modus Operandi fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 22, 2015

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Shadoer posted:

Does Shield appear with Nick Fury?

Yup. Nick Fury appears at the end with a Helicarrier he scraps together. No sign of Agent Coulson or anyone from Agenst of Shield though.

The appearance or absence of certain characters in Shield could also point to something else.

Agents of shield is a lovely show and the writers in Avengers 2 probably tried to ignore any and all regulars associated with it.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
For those that seen it:

Is there any kind of set up for Black Panther, or any truth to the Latino Reviews site saying they show a new team formed by Cap and we see surprise heroes?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Diabetic posted:

For those that seen it:

Is there any kind of set up for Black Panther, or any truth to the Latino Reviews site saying they show a new team formed by Cap and we see surprise heroes?

There is a big fight with the Hulk in Wakanda. Otherwise, nobody we haven't seen before in ads or previous movies.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

There is a big fight with the Hulk in Wakanda. Otherwise, nobody we haven't seen before in ads or previous movies.

I thought Andy Serkis was somebody related to this?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
He's a panther badguy, and he's in Panthers back yard.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Shadoer posted:

Well might as well get some of the spoilers out of the way.

The characters who end up dead are:

Quicksilver and Ultron.

Quicksilver get's wasted saving Hawkeye's life. Ultron has his connection to the internet severed and all his bodies are destroyed. If he comes back, they need to do a bunch of mental gymnastics.

I don't understand why they would do this, aside from shock value. No one is going to be invested in that character, so the death is meaningless, although it provides an novel inversion of the usual trope of a woman getting killed to give motivation to a dude. Scarlet Witch will have some motivation to stick around the Avengers to honor her brother's memory, I guess. I'm sure they'll bring Quicksilver back somehow, but it would've carried more punch to kill off Hawkeye, since he's the bridge between the new heroes and the old guard, apparently.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

MinibarMatchman posted:

I thought Andy Serkis was somebody related to this?
Serkis plays Ulysses Klau, a weapons merchant from whom Ultron steal a ton of vibranium.

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I don't understand why they would do this, aside from shock value. No one is going to be invested in that character, so the death is meaningless, although it provides an novel inversion of the usual trope of a woman getting killed to give motivation to a dude. Scarlet Witch will have some motivation to stick around the Avengers to honor her brother's memory, I guess. I'm sure they'll bring Quicksilver back somehow, but it would've carried more punch to kill off Hawkeye, since he's the bridge between the new heroes and the old guard, apparently.
Jeremy Renner is still contracted for another two films.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Modus Operandi posted:

Agents of shield is a lovely show and the writers in Avengers 2 probably tried to ignore any and all regulars associated with it.

One is (officially) written by Joss Whedon and the other by his wife and brother (with occasional help by Joss Whedon). I doubt the perceived lack of quality (which is pretty much a minority opinion since S01E16) is a reason.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Diabetic posted:

For those that seen it:

The new team at the end is Falcon, Vision, Scarlet Witch with Cap and BW there to instruct them. There's no surprise at all when you see who's left because various characters leave to attend to personal matters. No black panther.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

Modus Operandi posted:

Also, when vision picks it up like nothing near the end and gives it back.

I got a good laugh at Vision's remark about the hammer having good balance and Thor sheepishly goes "you just need the right amount of weight so it's easier to swing"

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
spoil me. where does hulk end at the end if he isn't in the new team?

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Disharmony posted:

I got a good laugh at Vision's remark about the hammer having good balance and Thor sheepishly goes "you just need the right amount of weight so it's easier to swing"

Thor's hammer

I also liked that little conversation at the end when Cap is busting Thor's balls saying something to the effect that "if you put it in an elevator and the elevator moves it the elevator doesn't become the chosen one either."

The quicksilver gag was pretty funny too when he tries to grab it in slow-mo and he goes flying into machines instead.

Whedon really did put some thought into the typical comic nerd "what ifs" of the various powers.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

ShineDog posted:

spoil me. where does hulk end at the end if he isn't in the new team?

He ends up alone in one of the cloaked quinjets and B.W. tries to coax him to turn the jet back on comms. He's still in hulk form and semi-lucid but instead sits down and lets the jet fly away on autopilot. Basically throughout the film there's a lot of Bruce Banner unresolved angst especially with the relationship he has with B.W. Later Nick Fury says that the jet crashed somewhere in the banda sea.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Baron Bifford posted:

Serkis plays Ulysses Klau, a weapons merchant from whom Ultron steal a ton of vibranium.

Jeremy Renner is still contracted for another two films.

Isn't the Quicksilver guy contacted for a bunch more too?

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
Just saw the movie and thought it was fantastic. Some of the action scenes are just beyond belief. It makes the first movie look cheap.

Modus Operandi posted:

I was also quite surprised how well the moments worked where they're just sitting around relaxing and talking.

This. As great as the action was this was maybe the best part. The only part of the movie I thought was rushed was Thor working out all the stuff related to the infinity stones. They introduce Selvig, they go to a cave together and suddenly Thor shows up later and he knows everything that will happen in the next 4 years of Marvel films .

I also wasn't a huge fan of Ultron's master plan. It was a little bit contrived and unnecessary for someone with his abilities. Overall, it was a great loving time though. Maybe the best big time blockbuster movie I've ever seen. I'll definitely be seeing it again and buying it when it comes out on itunes.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The biggest plot hole of the movie is why did the Avengers not strip that Hydra castle of all its hardware? There was alien tech in there, and they just left it for Ultron to pick up.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Ghost Head posted:

I also wasn't a huge fan of Ultron's master plan. It was a little bit contrived and unnecessary for someone with his abilities.

Yes, Ultron's powers and his final plan didn't really make sense with how they explained it.

He can replicate himself and use the internet to upload elsewhere wouldn't a sentient A.I. like that form fragments everywhere on the internet making him an unstoppable force? I know the main factory to build robots was only located in that old Hydra facility and the Stark lab but he could just as easily go dormant until he created new factories. Why was it necessary to create an extinction level comet to begin with..

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Ultron's plan was loving stupid buuuuuuut other than that, a very enjoyable movie. Personally I'd put it close to or above Winter Soldier in being a lot of comic book fun.

There's only one credits sequence, it's basically short and to the point. Also Hawk-Eye really is the lynchpin of the movie, gets the best lines and also a fairly decent surprise.

8.5/10, would def watch again.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Cat Terrist posted:

Ultron's plan was loving stupid buuuuuuut other than that, a very enjoyable movie. Personally I'd put it close to or above Winter Soldier in being a lot of comic book fun.

There's only one credits sequence, it's basically short and to the point. Also Hawk-Eye really is the lynchpin of the movie, gets the best lines and also a fairly decent surprise.

8.5/10, would def watch again.

Hawkeye was so good in this. It really took me by surprise. The whole movie was bascially an incredible juggling act where everyone got their time in the spotlight to have their personalities and motivations elaborated on and Hawkeye got the best of it. Also, I just want to mention that even though Ultrons final plan was kind of contrived, as a character he was completely fascinating. Every time he was on screen I was absolutely captivated by what he saying or doing.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
People who think superheroes shouldn't kill are going to be very upset because the Avengers have absolutely no compunction against using lethal force.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Baron Bifford posted:

People who think superheroes shouldn't kill are going to be very upset because the Avengers have absolutely no compunction against using lethal force.

Good. Between Daredevil, Batman and Superman the waah waah should I kill conflict is dead.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Just got back from this - some great gags, lots of real audience laughter. The quips are not just bearable, they are enjoyable.

Real star of the film is Hawkeye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Baron Bifford posted:

Thats been the case since Ironman 1 though, he murders the poo poo out of some militia, he only kills whiplash in 2, Thor kills a bunch of giants and generic bads in Thor 1 and 2, Cap kills infinite hydra goons in cap 1/2

I rather like it, frankly.

• Locked thread