Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

My favorite Man of Steel toy was this Superman figure holding two halves of a motorcycle in each hand. I thought it was supposed to be a "Superman tears a bike in half" action figure, but when I read the package it was actually a "Superman puts a bike back together" toy.

Helsing posted:

This does make me morbidly curious for what the DC Cinematic Universe will look like. Maybe they'll take a page from Sin City and every story-line will involve the protagonists visiting the same IHOP franchise.

Based on the Suicide Squad photos, which looks like a very different movie from MoS and BvS, I think DC movies will be pretty different from one another than the Marvel ones. I read someone saying that the Joker and Batman Suicide Squad scene looks weird to him because Joker is a new take on the character from a David Ayer movie but Batman is something really faithful to the comic from a Zack Snyder movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steensma
Nov 2, 2014

I don't know if it was bad editing or what, but the whole notion of the flying city at the end of the movie felt really underrealized. There should have been something, some kind of indication of the weight of this cataclysmic event. All the shots of it rising seem to be at a distance, and any impact it has on the characters in the action is so quick it can be ignored.

But this is a flying loving city! It should be impressive and momentous and horrifying.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Nah, it's a real mess of a film. A bunch of themes are set up early on (like Vanko's desire to shame Stark in front of the world to kill his legacy) that never really get any good payoff, and the solution to Tony Stark's medical problems is a preposterous solution involving a theme park his dad built decades ago. The script (or lack thereof) is a real problem with it.

This made it all worthwhile:

Is there any kind of threat that works for the Avengers to fight against other than "hundreds of disposable robots/aliens"? I'm guessing Thanos will also have some sort of army for them to beat on for 2 hours. I think they've covered that ground very well now, it would be nice to see them face a different kind of threat.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Disco De Soto posted:

Is there any kind of threat that works for the Avengers to fight against other than "hundreds of disposable robots/aliens"? I'm guessing Thanos will also have some sort of army for them to beat on for 2 hours. I think they've covered that ground very well now, it would be nice to see them face a different kind of threat.

I mean, the obvious thing is to have them fight an opposing evil super-team that represents the bad things about the characters, or a single mega-being with a handful of distinct powerful minions that each play to the strengths and/or weaknesses of the various members as they fight their way to the boss that the #1 hero can't take on by himself. This is like literally comic book 101 poo poo.

And someone saying the Avengers movies have action scenes "like a video game" would actually be unfairly insulting video games because the "encounter design" is poo poo - they fight almost nothing but trash mobs all day and all the "mini boss" encounters are anticlimactic.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Disco De Soto posted:

Is there any kind of threat that works for the Avengers to fight against other than "hundreds of disposable robots/aliens"?

Almost any?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

sean10mm posted:

I mean, the obvious thing is to have them fight an opposing evil super-team that represents the bad things about the characters, or a single mega-being with a handful of distinct powerful minions that each play to the strengths and/or weaknesses of the various members as they fight their way to the boss that the #1 hero can't take on by himself. This is like literally comic book 101 poo poo.

And someone saying the Avengers movies have action scenes "like a video game" would actually be unfairly insulting video games because the "encounter design" is poo poo - they fight almost nothing but trash mobs all day and all the "mini boss" encounters are anticlimactic.

Well, the movies may have set up a few people to oppose the Avengers:

- Klaw
- Crossbones
- Loki
- The REAL Mandarin
- Batroc
- Arnim Zola

I doubt we'd get Absorbing Man or Mr. Hyde from TV.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Disco De Soto posted:

:agreed:

quote:

Is there any kind of threat that works for the Avengers to fight against other than "hundreds of disposable robots/aliens"?

Any threat with some sort of personality or distinctiveness would be better. If you look at the putties from the first movie (or the ultrons from the final fight in this one), there's not much going on beyond excuses to pose for the camera. Compare that to the fight in the container ship, where there are a few distinct opponents with individual fighting styles and powers, and suddenly you have a much more interesting scene. You get interplay between their powers (like Quicksilver trying to deflect Thor's hammer and getting taken for a ride), and you get tension from the fact that the opponents can actually land a few body blows. Give us an evenly matched fight with some give and take, with different sides having the upper hand at different times.

I'm hoping we see some kind of distinctiveness out of Thanos. The fact that it's a new director will help, but the big thing is that they're playing him up as a big threat personally. I don't read comics and don't have any idea what his powers are, though. The worst case scenario for me is we get a standard Powerful Threat fight, where he no-sells the heroes' attacks and throws the heavy hitters around like rag dolls.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Yeah he's gonna be the dude to rag doll the powerful heroes and throw down. I just hope the Russo Bros approach the coreography more interestingly so it's not CG blobs fighting.

Most movies go a DBZ style route with fighting but my hope is with the infinity gems the heroes take a JoJos Bizarre adventure route and we get scenes of them having out outwit, outthink, out strategize and approach things intelligently than just a bashfest.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Of course, all along the Avengers movies were just imitating the wrong anime.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

JoJo's is actually an excellent analogy. It's entirely about creative usage of abilities, and focuses on how even people with "bad" powers can be highly dangerous, as opposed to people just shooting at or punching each other until someone wins. Any superpower based movie could definitely take a page from that manga.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

JoJo is a series where someone whose whole breadth of superpowers can be summed up as "turns self into string" is one of the most terrifying fighters in comics history

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Of course, all along the Avengers movies were just imitating the wrong anime.

Comic book movies should freely and liberally imitate the best comic books, no matter their origin.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Bongo Bill posted:

Comic book movies should freely and liberally imitate the best comic books, no matter their origin.

They could also stand to improve a lot by looking outside of comic books on occasion.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

mr. stefan posted:

JoJo is a series where someone whose whole breadth of superpowers can be summed up as "turns self into string" is one of the most terrifying fighters in comics history

Do you recommend the manga or the show?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

The show is well done (the comic having a 25+ year lead time is helpful) but is only up to part 3 so far, and Jolyne (string lady) is the main character of part six.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nolanar posted:

They could also stand to improve a lot by looking outside of comic books on occasion.

Baby steps.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hbomberguy posted:

Go to crunchyroll and watch the show up until this point, and then try to track down series 4+ after that.

Araki (the artist) is extremely into fashion modeling, and the series starts off looking like Fist of the North Star with fabulous poses and being about Vampires in part 1, to less FOTN but even more fabulous in 2 and more creative with power usage but still about vampires, to a little less FOTN and being a lot more creative with powers, to batshit insane with powers and even more fabulous and so on.

It has its own unique tone that you might not like at first, but will start to catch on to as you read. Basically, it's an extremely creative person that loves American music creating a series where he can get more and more batshit insane and creative with battles, while not caring at all about plot or continuity, really. And is rightly known as one of the best comics ever.

The art basically starts like this: http://2.p.mpcdn.net/14481/229420/1.jpg

And ends up like this: http://i36.mangareader.net/jojos-bizarre-adventure-part-8-jojolion/3/jojos-bizarre-adventure-part-8-jojolion-2490753.jpg

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, Jojo's art is extremely flamboyant and it owns.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
JoJos Bizarre Adventure was also influenced by X Men. There is an issue where Professor X and the Shadow King are sitting at a table and to everyone it looks like they are just chatting but in actuality they are having a psychic fight that no one can see except the aftermath of damage around them.

I would personally recommend the mini series, I think there is a set of 6 and then another 6 that's the prequel to to the original. Basically if you want you could start out with the newer 6 then watch the original. That's what I remember. It's fun. The best episode is a poker game in the original for their souls. Not one punch is thrown but drat is it tense and fun.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Gatts posted:

JoJos Bizarre Adventure was also influenced by X Men. There is an issue where Professor X and the Shadow King are sitting at a table and to everyone it looks like they are just chatting but in actuality they are having a psychic fight that no one can see except the aftermath of damage around them.

I would personally recommend the mini series, I think there is a set of 6 and then another 6 that's the prequel to to the original. Basically if you want you could start out with the newer 6 then watch the original. That's what I remember. It's fun. The best episode is a poker game in the original for their souls. Not one punch is thrown but drat is it tense and fun.

This was the first episode of JoJo that I ever watched and it hooked me on the series. Jotaro and D'Arby's staredown is amazing, and yeah, a Marvel movie emulating JoJo power usage would be amazing.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Nah, the miniseries is awful and the poker scene is pretty much the only thing it does properly, and the new TV series did it even better. Mainly because the miniseries downplays the incredible flamboyance of the comic and tries to play it dead serious, rather than the insane bullshit that it's famous for.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

mr. stefan posted:

Nah, the miniseries is awful and the poker scene is pretty much the only thing it does properly, and the new TV series did it even better. Mainly because the miniseries downplays the incredible flamboyance of the comic and tries to play it dead serious, rather than the insane bullshit that it's famous for.

And I suddenly realized the post I quoted was talking about the old OVA...yeah, I hopped on with the current series.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
Now I'm imaging the Avengers as Stand users

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Disco De Soto posted:

Justin Hammer needs to be in more MCU movies if only because Sam Rockwell rules.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I've said it before, but I would just about poo poo if Hollywood started taking cues from JoJo. Araki's already well-known in art circles, he's worked with Gucci and done a collaboration with the Louvre before, so it would not entirely shock me, but it would kinda be the best thing ever.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Neowyrm posted:

Now I'm imaging the Avengers as Stand users

Obviously Tony's would be called Shoot To Thrill...but I haven't the faintest idea about anyone else's.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Don't know about JoJo but Cap's would obviously be Real American.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The primary thing I would hope Hollywood would take from Jojo's is to start from a ludicrous point and then drive it about as far as humanly possible into complete absurdist pandemonium. Like going from shooting Coke bottle caps off the bottle with the power of your breathing at corrupt cops to save a poor black kid to fighting a vampire predator who has ascended beyond all other forms of life on top of a volcano with only your wits, a robo-Nazi, and a red stone to work with.

Actually, I'm surprised Jojo's never really made a real mark over here prior to the show (besides the fighting game being a cult hit), given how like 70% of video games and a good chunk of all other anime/manga that's made it over here is influenced or outright steals from it.

jivjov posted:

Obviously Tony's would be called Shoot To Thrill...but I haven't the faintest idea about anyone else's.

Well Thor's would obviously be God of Thunder (or just call it KISS if you don't want to be blatant). Hulk's would be Break Stuff.

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 21, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Ultron would get A New Machine part 1 and then at the end A New Machine part 2.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Gatts posted:

Yeah he's gonna be the dude to rag doll the powerful heroes and throw down. I just hope the Russo Bros approach the coreography more interestingly so it's not CG blobs fighting.

Most movies go a DBZ style route with fighting but my hope is with the infinity gems the heroes take a JoJos Bizarre adventure route and we get scenes of them having out outwit, outthink, out strategize and approach things intelligently than just a bashfest.

I know it's a comic book and all but good god that's some bad dialogue. Like, 12 year old writing fan fiction bad.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Whoops, got confused and necro'd this thread. Sorry. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Whoops, got confused and necro'd this thread. Sorry. :(

Don't worry about it.