Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

No... pretty much just want the other 13 that they've promised, all with their own fleshed out stories and characters.

I should have specified. I am hoping they'll get some attention after all the other armies, even if just for custom battle's sake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Voyager I posted:

Every army with a book in the Tabletop-that-was is going to be included over the course of the planned expansions. Bretonnia will become a full fledged playable faction, Wood Elves and maybe Beastmen will dwell in the impassable woods of Athel Loren, and others will have the grand campaign map expanded to accommodate them.

Expect naval battles or at least some more nuance the the nautical game in the expansion that adds High and Dark Elves.

Skaven could also fit into the current map.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Voyager I posted:

Wood Elves and maybe Beastmen will dwell in the impassable woods of Athel Loren

I just took a look at a map of the Warhammer world and that forest seems incredibly small. There's no way such a small area can accommodate one Total War faction, let alone two. You'd really have to squeeze to get a single province in there, and I dunno where and how elves would expand. Wonder how they're gonna deal with that.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

unwantedplatypus posted:

Skaven could also fit into the current map.

Skaven keep taking the empire's people

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Vargs posted:

I just took a look at a map of the Warhammer world and that forest seems incredibly small. There's no way such a small area can accommodate one Total War faction, let alone two. You'd really have to squeeze to get a single province in there, and I dunno where and how elves would expand. Wonder how they're gonna deal with that.

There's a ton of currently impassible forest in the empire as well, it's just more fragmented.

But yeah they may need to do some map work.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

gently caress! no!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

unwantedplatypus posted:

Skaven could also fit under the current map.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Vargs posted:

The forest is bigger on the inside than the outside?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

The forest is bigger on the inside than the outside?

So, give it certain transit points that transitions to a different map?

Sort of like how Empire did with different theaters, is that what you are thinking?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I really hope they don't stick too closely to the army rollout thing, a lot of the minor factions could use some flavor units sooner rather than later, especially Kislev. Todbringer should be a LL that you can deploy as empire if you confederate that faction. I mean, it's fantastic that they've included some unique lines of dialogue and buildings but it's not enough, not enough

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Xae posted:

Sort of like how Empire did with different theaters, is that what you are thinking?

That's what I figure. They may also be able to occupy human cities when they come out of the woods, but they'll start inside a 4-8 province sized Athel Loren. And Skaven can start on a smaller map "under" the world map and turn dwarfen cities into holes in the ground that Skaven can come out of. Or they'll do something completely different, who knows?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ugh killing the Norse is such a slog. Their army composition is miserable.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Xae posted:

I am both for and against this. Mostly because it's the best way for Wood Elves to have significant interaction with any faction besides Forest Goblins, Beastmen, or Bretonnia; but it's also about the only way the Skaven could be handled too. And three maps layered one over the other sounds like a nightmare to process.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Triskelli posted:

I am both for and against this. Mostly because it's the best way for Wood Elves to have significant interaction with any faction besides Forest Goblins, Beastmen, or Bretonnia; but it's also about the only way the Skaven could be handled too. And three maps layered one over the other sounds like a nightmare to process.

Buy a Broadwell E Core i7 6950X and get Total War: Warhammer for absolutely free!

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, uh, this whole Storm of Chaos business is turning into a bit of a comedy.

First... well, Ungrim can't have Grudgebearer have all the fun, now can he? :allears:

Sigvald took command of an already diminished halfstack and got unceremoniously stomped by a random dwarf lord. And Kholek...

Welp. :v:

Triskelli posted:

Hell in the case of the Dwarfs killing Thorgrim Grudgebearer made them fight even harder.

Kinda similar case with Karl Franz and Deathclaw - normal monsterous mounts had to roll on a chart on what they'd do if their rider got ganked. Deathclaw automatically defaulted to going full berserk and tearing straight into whatever just put down Karl.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Shalcar, since we all know you are going to make the new OP I'm submitting the following screenshots for use.

The Empire:

Dwarfs

Greenskins

Vampire Counts

Chaos Warriors

I'll make some Bretonnia ones if you want.

e: rehosted

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 8, 2016

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Arglebargle III posted:

Ugh killing the Norse is such a slog. Their army composition is miserable.

I think I honestly wish they had higher morale on their units just so they would stay in the fights and loving die already.

My solution so far has been very deep, compact formations with ranged infantry on the flanks to shoot down their cavalry. They will have control of the flanks and their front line of lovely infantry isn't what you're worried about, so there's not really any reason to deploy wide anyways.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Chomp8645 posted:

Shalcar, since we all know you are going to make the new OP I'm submitting the following screenshots for use.

The Empire:

Dwarfs

Greenskins

Vampire Counts

Chaos Warriors

I'll make some Bretonnia ones if you want.

Just make sure they're rehosted on imgur or something first, so users browsing the forums over HTTPS can actually see them.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

FutonForensic posted:

gently caress! no!

Never fear GW destroyed the Old World and retired many of the models. You would have a hard time picking up many of the ones you might want anyway.

Plus they cost too much and the table top game is even more busted than Total War.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Xae posted:

It would make sense, honestly, given that per the lore the forest is a willful entity in its own right that actively fucks with trespassers and where the normal laws of reality apply inconsistently.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hargrimm posted:

Just make sure they're rehosted on imgur or something first, so users browsing the forums over HTTPS can actually see them.

Oh, didn't know that was a thing. I'll rehost em.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Has anyone figured out the raise dead bug or isolated what might be causing it. The body counter seems to be stuck at 0 constantly, even where I crush huge armies.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm also suffering from the 0 casualty bug. Oh well, at least if it's this widespread they'll have to patch it quickly.

Related; I've unified Sylvania in my VC campaign and I'm not really sure where to go from here. Starting a war with an Imperial province seems like it might be laying my head on the train tracks and the ones near me are surprisingly willing to play nice, but the Dwarves to my south don't really represent a viable avenue to expansion.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Voyager I posted:

I think I honestly wish they had higher morale on their units just so they would stay in the fights and loving die already.

My solution so far has been very deep, compact formations with ranged infantry on the flanks to shoot down their cavalry. They will have control of the flanks and their front line of lovely infantry isn't what you're worried about, so there's not really any reason to deploy wide anyways.

Unfortunately chaos doesn't have ranged infantry. Your skirmish guys are mirror matches, which makes chasing... horrible.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Chaos vs Norse matchups are one of the most awful things in the game and the only way to not tear your hair out and waste an enormous amount of time is to abuse autoresolve. Your army simply doesn't have efficient counters for a stack of 15 marauder cavalry, 2 warhounds, and some chariots.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How do you recommend getting fights that the auto resolve can win? No ambush and I don't have a sorcerer leveled to block army yet, still, because he's been running across the map for quests.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

How do you recommend getting fights that the auto resolve can win? No ambush and I don't have a sorcerer leveled to block army yet, still, because he's been running across the map for quests.

If the Norse are running away from you, it means that your army will smash them in autoresolve, so just walk past them and pillage/raze their lovely villages. Eventually they'll try to turtle up in a village which will let your autoresolve delete the stack.

Chaos not having ambush is some hot bullshit, by the way.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Tenzarin posted:

Just imagine this song coming out of his mouth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V92OBNsQgxU

Every day of my life, friend.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kanos posted:

If the Norse are running away from you, it means that your army will smash them in autoresolve, so just walk past them and pillage/raze their lovely villages. Eventually they'll try to turtle up in a village which will let your autoresolve delete the stack.

Oh god they're filling in behind me! Truly the chaos campaign captures the life of the champion, ceaseless struggle under the gaze of laughing gods.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Anyone know of any total remake mods in development? With a bit of gameplay polish and balance changing, this could be an excellent long term game.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Waaagh mechanics and movement are amazingly loving awful, holy poo poo. Unless I'm missing something big it actively disincentivizes actually attacking with a Waaaagh stack.

It's really great to have a mechanic that encourages constant attack where actually attacking something is a convoluted bullshit process. You want to take your two stacks and slap them into the enemy stacks? Not so fast bucko! You launch that attack and it's just your one stack because a Waaagh mechanic that provides a reward but not if you directly attack the enemy is just the best idea. Fine. So instead you put yourself in position to reinforce and have the Waaaagh do the attacking. And that's where it really fucks you. You see, if you attack and the Waaaagh is in range, it's part of your army and is on the field to start. But if it attacks you're stuck watching those fuckwits screw everything up while you reinforce. At the end of the day, if you try to be aggressive against an enemy stack with a Waaaagh it's a massively suboptimal strategy.

Ask me about daring to want a good fight between Grimgor and the savage orcs where both sides had a Waaaagh. By the time I was coming up behind my Waaaagh stack they were routed. And of course because savage orcs are perfectly optimized orc killers I had no chance with that mostly T1 army.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Does Archaon stay dead when you beat him back the first time? I got the first Chaos invasion with a bunch of unworthy Skaeling and Varl along with some stacks distinctly lacking in Chosen or monsters bigger than Spawn.

edit: Archaon is actually suing for peace ahahahahahaha

Kanos posted:

How do you expect to ambush anything with armies full of rejected Motorhead cover art?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 8, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Turn 48 I can now catch armies on the campaign map as chaos because my sorcerer turned level 8. :toot:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

How do you expect to ambush anything with armies full of rejected Motorhead cover art?

The same way you ambush stuff with an army full of three foot tall walking tanks or an army full of screaming orc boyz.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Man Empire on VH is just kicking my rear end a little bit. Nobody around me is either weak nor has a decent opinion of me, and the Chaos tribes decided to more or less ignore everyone else and sail right up to me with like 5 stacks. I can fight them off but drat do Empire units feel weaker than Dwarfs.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Kanos posted:

The same way you ambush stuff with an army full of three foot tall walking tanks or an army full of screaming orc boyz.

Orcs ambush things by painting themselves purple. You ain't never seen no purple orcs, right? There you go, then. :orks:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

President Ark posted:

Orcs ambush things by painting themselves purple. You ain't never seen no purple orcs, right? There you go, then. :orks:

In Warhammer, this might actually work. :haw:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Mazz posted:

Man Empire on VH is just kicking my rear end a little bit. Nobody around me is either weak nor has a decent opinion of me, and the Chaos tribes decided to more or less ignore everyone else and sail right up to me with like 5 stacks. I can fight them off but drat do Empire units feel weaker than Dwarfs.

Pound-for-pound, they are, though that's more to do with Dwarven units being very good at their jobs to make up for their inflexible roster. Empire armies can adopt roughly the same tactics with the addition of credible cavalry threats, though now that you mention it Dwarves actually sound like the perfect counter to Norscan armies. The best way to deal with them seems to be holding the line while your ranged units waste all their annoying motherfuckers on horses. That's already the Dwarven gameplan for every battle, with the added bonus that your Quarrelers won't really give a poo poo if some dogs slip through to them.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

Does Archaon stay dead when you beat him back the first time? I got the first Chaos invasion with a bunch of unworthy Skaeling and Varl along with some stacks distinctly lacking in Chosen or monsters bigger than Spawn.

He gets wounded but you still need to kill off the other Chaos stacks before he respawns with another stack.

Although I have typically found that my allies tend to do a good job of hammering away at every other stack that Archaon tends to run around with a half stack. Running after him are angry Dwarfs, Brettonians, and Estalians if they're not too busy killing Vikings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Reiksguard and wizards will shred nirscan tribes to bits. Or Demigryphs if you're feeling sassy.
Demigryphs will also decimate chaos knights.

Also, everyone missed an important note about grudge throwers. Those cubes have grudges etched into them on the fly by Dwarven artisens.

• Locked thread