Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Steam and Bethesda got together to come up with a plan to charge people for user made mods, and now they're doing it. This isn't a joke, and is actually something which exists, starting today.

After TESO they've gotta fund fallout new new vegas somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korthal
May 26, 2011

darealkooky posted:

whats stopping someone from just buying the mod, copying the files, then using the 24 hour refund

This is :filez: please do not discuss this or risk being probated/banned.

SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe
Well I didn't need another reason to play bethesda games again but here we are

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

darealkooky posted:

whats stopping someone from just buying the mod, copying the files, then using the 24 hour refund

way to rob modders of bread ,hitler

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

id pay for that weed turd mod for skyrim

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
the workshop integration is poo poo compared to basically any other mod manager, regardless of the other dumb aspects of this

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430756460

lol

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄
░░░░░░░▄▀░▄████▄
░░░░░░█░▄▀░▀██▀▀█▄
░░░░░▄▄▀░░░░░░░░░▀█
░░░░█▄█░░░▄▀▀▀▄░▄▀▀█
░░░███▄▄░░░▄▀▄░░░▄▀▄
░░▄▄█▀█░░░░░($)░░░░($)▀▄
░█░░░███░░░░░░▄░░░░░░█▄
░░█░░░▀██░░░░▄░░▀▀░░░░░█▄
░░░█▄░░░▀██░▄░▀▀▀▀▄▄▄░░░█
░░░░▄▀░▄███▄░▀▄░░░░░▄▀▀▀
░░▄▀░░█████▄█░░▀▀▀▀▀
█▀░░░░░██▄▀███░░░░░░█
░░░░░▄░░░██████▄██▄██
░░░░░░▀▄░░░██▄██▀███▀
░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░██▄███▀

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
gently caress y'all i'm buying stock in loverslab.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

this is so loving hilarious and retarded. wish minecraft was on steam so we could see retarded minecraft modders go absolutely insane live on workshop

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

what was it

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

qnqnx posted:

what was it

ms paint 'gently caress you' picture in display and you are a loving jew for buying mods in description along with an ascii flippin the bird

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

Kill Lord Gaben

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430749163
DESCRIPTION
This mod adds in Lord Gaben just so you can kill him. NOW GO AND GET REVENGE FOR HAVING TO PAY FOR YOUR FAVORITE MODS!!!

lol

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
:siren: THERE ARE EARLY ACCESS MODS NOW siren:

EARLY ACCESS MODS
A
R
L
Y

A
C
C
E
S
S

M
O
D
S
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430324898&searchtext=

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
It'll be cool when mod makers start accusing each other of stealing work/assets. (in AVGN voice) What were they thinking?!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What the? Valve is trying to scam people out of money without having to actually invest anything into developing a product? Zuh!?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

i dont really like mods

the only mod I ever installed was a new Vegas one that added more songs to the radio because I was sick of hearing Johnny guitar so many times, but I couldn't get it to work right

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

What the? Valve is trying to scam people out of money without having to actually invest anything into developing a product? Zuh!?

The modders are apparently getting paid in Steam wallet money. Valve gets all of the profit lmfao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The modders are apparently getting paid in Steam wallet money. Valve gets all of the profit lmfao

That's really hosed up actually lol. Valve are comically Jewish at this point

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

this is causing meltdowns on a chernobyl scale

Mr.Fahrenheit
Dec 27, 2012

Lumpy the Cook posted:

is that actually true lol

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lumpy the Cook posted:

that's hilarious

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Mr.Fahrenheit posted:

is that actually true lol

they gotta pay for the other mods somehow

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

if this is true then it will be the actual funniest thing ever

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
putting a donate button on mods would be cool, and i would be fine throwing my trading card pennies at modders i like. also, i wonder what nexus is going to do in response.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

if someone told me this was in the works i'd have thought they were mentally ill and yet here we are. :rip: modding communities

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
modding communities died the day valve hired the cs, dod, and tf teams. pretty much every team since then has been hoping to get picked up as a developer team.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

lol

Bolverkur posted:

they gotta pay for the other mods somehow

the mod economy

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm looking at the faq for revenue on steam, and it appears as though they will pay out in cash, but that there's a minimum payout of 100 dollars us. so i would assume that it's funny money until you hit that breakpoint, at which point they cut you a check. you would also have to do your work in terms of withholding taxes on it, which seems like way more effort than it's worth unless you're hitting the high hundreds in sales.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Larry Parrish posted:

modding communities died the day valve hired the cs, dod, and tf teams. pretty much every team since then has been hoping to get picked up as a developer team.

got p close to gettin picked up by atari modding nwn2 of all games lmao

that dont mean poo poo tho

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

darealkooky posted:

Mods?

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
holy poo poo, i thought this was some kind of prank or something. but nope, sure enough steam is seriously asking me to pay money for a mod i could have gotten for free a year ago.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

you have to pay for mods now

Soral
May 30, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

this isnt true tho

Soral
May 30, 2009

but if you order a refund in the 24 hour grace period it comes back to you in the form of steam wallet funds, regardless of how you paid for your mod

Soral
May 30, 2009

if you buy a mod (such as the plugin that puts hats on skyrim npcs when it rains (suggested price $6.25)) and then two days later the creator pushes out an update that breaks the mod and then bails on it you can't get your money back lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Soral posted:

if you buy a mod (such as the plugin that puts hats on skyrim npcs when it rains (suggested price $6.25)) and then two days later the creator pushes out an update that breaks the mod and then bails on it you can't get your money back lol

good

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Lumpy the Cook posted:

:siren: THERE ARE EARLY ACCESS MODS NOW siren:

EARLY ACCESS MODS
A
R
L
Y

A
C
C
E
S
S

M
O
D
S
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430324898&searchtext=

i am right on this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soral
May 30, 2009

If you find that mod has broken or is behaving unexpectedly, it is best to post politely on the Workshop item's page

• Locked thread