Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
the train simulator community is all 60 year old men who make trains and tracks for the game and sell them to each other for $40 a pop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Korthal posted:

I've heard a few reasons why this works

• The market is very small, and requires a high price point because setting it low would not generate any more sales. Would reducing the price down to $5 make you want to buy virtual trains
  • The more important point: People who play these games are the crazy train dads that have the $30,000 invested into a miniature train world in their basement. To them, spending $2,000 on virtual trains is not that expensive considering they're paying $500 for each real train that doesn't have nearly as much functionality as the virtual trains do.

yea its cool

also i think part of it is there used to be boxed 3rd party addons to flight simulator in stores so they still kinda understand that

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i didnt mean the train sim dlc in steam, the train sim people have their own sites and forums where they sell their mods to each other because the official train sim dlc isnt enough

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i dont really like mods

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I think the last dude is being facetious but lol

its a good post

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Soral posted:

if you buy a mod (such as the plugin that puts hats on skyrim npcs when it rains (suggested price $6.25)) and then two days later the creator pushes out an update that breaks the mod and then bails on it you can't get your money back lol

good

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

darealkooky posted:

it's hosed up to take the majority of the profits on other peoples work spent fixing your lovely game, posting under several layers of irony isn't gonna change that.

darealkooky getting real

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Givin posted:

The real victim here are the developers of Bad Rats because stupid skyrim mods of horse buttholes will become the new gag gift to buy during Christmas gifting trains.

somone please pull an epic prank on me and buy me skyrim and the horse butts

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

somone please pull an epic prank on me and buy me wwe 2k15 and the paige dlc

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

oh wow they are removing donation hyperlinks (patreon et al) from the descriptions

lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Red Mundus posted:

It is hilariously easy to just open his mod up in the CK and remove the pop-ups lol.

ive reported you to steam, might want to start backing up your mods before your account is banned

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

Regular people who don't have brain AIDS that makes them scream bloody murder every time anything at all happens about their only hobby

lets kill them

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

surc posted:

To help you understand why we thought this was a good idea, our main goals were to allow mod makers the opportunity to work on their mods full time if they wanted to, and to encourage developers to provide better support to their mod communities. We thought this would result in better mods for everyone, both free & paid. We wanted more great mods becoming great products, like Dota, Counter-strike, DayZ, and Killing Floor, and we wanted that to happen organically for any mod maker who wanted to take a shot at it.

"We've done this because it's clear we didn't understand exactly what we were doing."

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

qnqnx posted:

[a definitely sane person, of the kind you imagine permanently in business attire] "Being older and wiser, I have outsourced my anger at being paywalled out of my favourite animal genitalia mods to preteens on the internet"

EggnogCharlie -1 points 2 hours ago
Valve took an arrow to the knee. That is their punishment. Let us hope they learned from this.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Mr. Pumroy posted:

now that i've single handedly destroyed paid mods it's time for me to go on the forums for my victory lap strut

next destroy paid forums

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Trolling was funny to read, but in a way it kinda shows how gaming is considered by gamers themselves as an addiction of sorts, something they should be ashamed of. Ashamed to stand up for themselves over it, no matter how futile it is. Developers and especially publishers take gaming very seriously, yet gamers themselves don't. That is why they're making the money while a modder is happy with 25% cut and a random user with an 80% finished game.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

SunAndSpring posted:

These have been a rough few days for Skyrim modder James Ives. "I've received countless death threats, attacks and hateful comments," he tells Polygon. "Just about everything you can think of."

Ride out the storm they told us.

Stick with it they told us.

Everything will be fine in a few weeks they told us.

It's just the typical reaction to a change they told us.

What they didn't tell us about was the bus they sent hurtling down the highway that just rolled us: http://steamcommunity.com/games/Ste...632365253244218

Way to go. Fracture the community permanently and then piss off the very group of people you're likely to invite back for another attempt. Fat chance. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I am HIGHLY unlikely to accept an invite back under any circumstances unless it's for far more favorable conditions and a written promise not to chicken out over a bunch of trolls on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Evil Cole [Play-Station All Stars Battle Royale]: Oooh, it shocks you, it shocks you!

• Locked thread