Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
surc
Aug 17, 2004

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Still actively lolin at this

surc
Aug 17, 2004

To help you understand why we thought this was a good idea, our main goals were to allow mod makers the opportunity to work on their mods full time if they wanted to, and to encourage developers to provide better support to their mod communities. We thought this would result in better mods for everyone, both free & paid. We wanted more great mods becoming great products, like Dota, Counter-strike, DayZ, and Killing Floor, and we wanted that to happen organically for any mod maker who wanted to take a shot at it.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Well you see, we wanted everything to be great for everybody but I guess THAT WAS JUST TOO MUCH TO ASK. THANKS, GAMERS.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

elf help book posted:

"We've done this because it's clear we didn't understand exactly what we were doing."

also the first two examples of DOTA and CS are games that were free for like a decade and were heralded as the best at their specific thing for most of that time before they got gobbled up.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Sorry, I didn't mean they were not, just that their examples are things that don't have any legit competition so when they started being charged for there wasn't really anything else to do, and they're good enough that like sure, I'll pay some smackers.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

moddergate

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I'm the first with that right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

holy poo poo hl3 is in early access?

• Locked thread