Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rebuilt my first carb.

Eyeballed the float level.

Bolted it all up, started up pretty easily. Then started chugging a bit, so I gave it some gas and KA-loving-MOTHERFUCKING-BOOM and a fireball from under the hood (hood was open)

Thank gently caress I had put the air cleaner housing back on first, including the retaining screw. Once the smoke cleared I removed the air cleaner lid. The entire bottom portion of the air cleaner was full of gas. :stonk: That would have been really bad if I hadn't put the air cleaner on first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Black88GTA posted:

Another was when I pulled the motor out of my Trans Am, closed the garage, and went to a parts store with a buddy for a couple hours. Got back, opened the garage with the remote, and walked into overpowering fuel smell and a big pool of it that had come out of the now-disconnected fuel lines. :stonklol: And that's how I almost blew up my parents' house. :cripes:

About two years ago, my stepdad cleaned the garage floor. With gasoline.

Then closed the door and went out to dinner.

I got home and the entire house reeked of gas, with a gas water heater that has an always-on pilot in the attic. I'm amazed I didn't blow the place up opening the garage door. That's also the day that I learned that opening all the windows will bring the house up to 100F pretty quick, and that it'll take the a/c about 3-4 hours to get back down to 75.

Preoptopus posted:

Dropping the drainplug into the oil catch

I think everyone does this at least now and then. I keep a magnet on a stick thing handy for that now.

• Locked thread