Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
hosed up that someone can get called a weirdo for bringing Marxisty-sounding too-much-thinking into a thread in the Video Games Forum but it's cool to literally defend labor exploitation as correct and acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

bloodsacrifice posted:

Your objections deprived me and everyone else as consumers the choice period. Thats why people are attacking that viewpoint.

Actually, no, it was property owner Bethesda and distribution platform owner Valve who deprived you of that choice by their decision, which they had the legal and moral right to make, to stop allowing mod sales because in their estimation it was no longer a valuable enough proposition to continue, even though no one was holding a gun to their heads.

How dare you dictate terms to the companies who own things, "bloodsacrifice" aka "Lenin"

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Lucid Dream posted:

Its my opinion, do I really need to append "in my opinion" to every sentence or something?

No poo poo. My point is that your opinion is mind-bendingly stupid.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

My opinion is fact until someone calls me out and then its just my opinion man

Storm-
Jan 7, 2007

You win some, you lose some... then you lose some more.

Bethesda should start charging modders for using their game assets. Easy money. :coolfish:

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

snipermonkey posted:

If they didn't want people to mod the game or profit from those mods, then they shouldn't have offered modability as a part of the game you paid for.
They did want people to mod the game, that is clear. However, At least initially they didn't want people to be able to profit from those mods. When they found a model that they were happy with, they made the offer that you could profit from the mods under certain circumstances.

snipermonkey posted:

It's one thing if modders use game assets to create a standalone paid game, but quite another to create a paid mod that still requires you to buy the original game.
I do understand where you are coming from here on some level, but to me it doesn't make a huge difference. You're still using their IP and engine to create profit, and I think they deserve a significant chunk of those profits.

snipermonkey posted:

Ford and Toyota don't demand you to give a cut of your profits just because you used their pickup trucks to make money.
If you put a Ford or Toyota logo on a poster and tried to sell it, you'd need to pay them royalties no matter how much work you put into the poster because the purchase price of the vehicle did not include rights to use their logos to generate profit. The purchase price of Skyrim included the game and mod tools, not the rights to use their engine and assets to generate profit.

Gantolandon posted:

The customer is only allowed to express a positive opinion about any business scheme proposed to them and by no means should express dissatisfaction, less they risk robbing budding captains of industry of their God-given profit.

I don't understand why you keep acting like there are people here saying that people shouldn't be allowed to complain. Of course people should be able to complain, but everyone else is allowed to discuss those complaints too.

Thug Lessons posted:

No poo poo. My point is that your opinion is mind-bendingly stupid.
Everyone is welcome to their opinion.

The Duggler posted:

My opinion is fact until someone calls me out and then its just my opinion man
I thought it was understood that everyone's posts were their own opinions rather than objective facts, but I guess that is too much to assume.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
If we're entering the realm of marxist shitposting, how do you justify Bethesda profiting from free labour? You can't deny they aren't with the number of people who have said the only reason they bought TES games was because of free mods. If your position is that you are saving the modders from themselves by accepting an offer where they only get 25% how are you ok with a system where they get nothing and Bethesda gets all the benefit? I guess the possibility that they'll start paying you after you do a couple thousand hours of free work for them like that Falskaar guy is enough.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
^^^^^^^^
Edit: Or when they start saying the only difference between free market and glorious communism is paid mods lol

It is always interesting when internet libertarians tip their hand and change rhetoric from "free market decides" to "captains of industry deserve."

archangelwar fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 29, 2015

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Lucid Dream posted:

Not all opinions are created equal. Some people think Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player of all time. Some people think we should exterminate all human life. One of these opinions is valid and the other is not.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

CJ posted:

If we're entering the realm of marxist shitposting, how do you justify Bethesda profiting from free labour? You can't deny they aren't with the number of people who have said the only reason they bought TES games was because of free mods. If your position is that you are saving the modders from themselves by accepting an offer where they only get 25% how are you ok with a system where they get nothing and Bethesda gets all the benefit? I guess the possibility that they'll start paying you after you do a couple thousand hours of free work for them like that Falskaar guy is enough.

There's a massive difference of quality between Bethesda profiting indirectly from increased sales from people who buy their products to play mods and Bethesda + Valve skimming 75% off the top on paid mods. That said, ideally Bethesda would be paying modders directly as a result of those increased sales yes.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

The truth is that none of this matters because paid mods will be back, and people who buy/play video games are dumb idiots and will spend money on them and then complain about paid mods.

If you have the self control to not buy things you don't value its a non issue

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

CJ posted:

Actually mods don't yet exist because money is how the community steers work.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

The Duggler posted:

If you have the self control to not buy things you don't value its a non issue

It is an issue because it changes the decisions of every publisher, every modder, and every consumer. It doesn't matter if I'm personally ok with paying for mods, it would still affect games and mods going forward.

The fact that Steam doesn't realize they are large enough to unwittingly make changes to long standing community relationships with their little market ideas is rather sad and frightening.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

CJ posted:

If we're entering the realm of marxist shitposting, how do you justify Bethesda profiting from free labour?

Does anyone "justify" it? Or do people simply accept it (grudgingly or otherwise) as sort of a "done deal" at this point, after decades of modding working like this, and therefore much more difficult to deal with and less pressing than a change introduced a few days ago (and then abandoned with the reasonable suspicion that it will be back)?

quote:

If your position is that you are saving the modders from themselves

idk about anyone else but this isn't my position. Expressing the opinion that the cut as implemented was unfair is not the same thing as imagining that I'm "saving people from themselves." Or, I guess any time I think someone's getting a raw deal I'm exposing some kind of paternal savior complex.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

GunnerJ posted:

idk about anyone else but this isn't my position. Expressing the opinion that the cut as implemented was unfair is not the same thing as imagining that I'm "saving people from themselves." Or, I guess any time I think someone's getting a raw deal I'm exposing some kind of paternal savior complex.

I just disagree that they are getting a raw deal. Workshoppers of Valve games get 25% too but there are people making a living off of it. I can't say for sure but i'm pretty sure there are people making six figures off of it. It's just weird to then try to try to tell those people that they are getting hosed over. It's different from boycotting McDonalds in support of their staff who aren't happy getting minimum wage. And the main reason they are making that much is because it's for a game with a devoted fanbase who want to spend more money on the game they like, so i don't see how you can claim that the people who made the game in the first place aren't providing some value. If you make a weather effects mod for Skyrim and then made one for Torchlight or something you'd probably make different amounts due to the amount of people willing to buy the respective mods which is a result of the companies who made the games.

It's one thing to boycott a game to protest paid DLC, i just find it weird to presume to know whether the people who made it are getting a raw deal when they are telling you that they aren't.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

CJ posted:

Workshoppers of Valve games get 25% too but there are people making a living off of it.

They don't have to tech support, though, and have the peace of mind that random updates pushed on the base game aren't going to break their poo poo.

Paid mods might work, and they might work with the modder getting a 25% cut, but the game being modded has to really sandbox its modding to prevent the kinds of severe breaking we currently see, and that would almost certainly limit the scope of mods to an unacceptable degree (at least paid ones, I could see them giving more flexibility to "you're on your own" levels of modding outside the Steam Workshop).

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Lucid Dream posted:

The purchase price of Skyrim included the game and mod tools, not the rights to use their engine and assets to generate profit.

Agreed, they should probably have something in the EULA about how selling mods is not allowed and is no bueno.

If only a part of it said that you are only permitted to distribute the New Materials, without charge, if only.

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010

Lucid Dream posted:

I do understand where you are coming from here on some level, but to me it doesn't make a huge difference. You're still using their IP and engine to create profit, and I think they deserve a significant chunk of those profits.

I sort of agree with you about game devs getting some of the profits of paid mods, not because I think they deserve them, but because I think it's a practical solution to encourage them to add more and better mod support. Maybe Bethesda would have deserved the 45% cut if they would have implemented some kind of quality control and better cooperation with the modders to ensure working mods, but they did none of that.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

snipermonkey posted:

I sort of agree with you about game devs getting some of the profits of paid mods, not because I think they deserve them, but because I think it's a practical solution to encourage them to add more and better mod support. Maybe Bethesda would have deserved the 45% cut if they would have implemented some kind of quality control and better cooperation with the modders to ensure working mods, but they did none of that.
I agree Bethesda should have put more effort into it. I would be completely in favor of a more curated paid mod market.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

CJ posted:

It's one thing to boycott a game to protest paid DLC, i just find it weird to presume to know whether the people who made it are getting a raw deal when they are telling you that they aren't.

This is the exact opposite of what happened, the vast majority of modders have condemned the terms including some of those actually involved in the paid mods scheme.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

CJ posted:

I just disagree that they are getting a raw deal.

That's cool. I'm not really invested in changing your mind or re-making the case for my opinion that I already made in the other thread.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Thug Lessons posted:

This is the exact opposite of what happened, the vast majority of modders have condemned the terms including some of those actually involved in the paid mods scheme.

Did they? I'm aware that a lot of modders were against the scheme but i thought that was more on the grounds that it causes a huge clusterfuck when the mods have grown to become an interdependent mess after 3 years. Also lol who are the idiots who were involved in the scheme and accepted the terms while condemning them?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

CJ posted:

Did they? I'm aware that a lot of modders were against the scheme but i thought that was more on the grounds that it causes a huge clusterfuck when the mods have grown to become an interdependent mess after 3 years. Also lol who are the idiots who were involved in the scheme and accepted the terms while condemning them?

Chesko said he agreed to participate and was disappointed when they got around to telling him he'd only be making 25%. FMPONE who's like the #1 CSGO mapmaker said the terms were bad. Overall among modders the revenue sharing arrangement was one of the top sources of complaint and I honestly can't remember a single modder who defended it, maybe Arthmoor was stupid enough for that.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Thug Lessons posted:

I'll remake one part of my case to point out that the mod author who signed up for this you're referencing, Chesko, correctly pointed out that the terms of the deal would encourage mostly low-effort cosmetic changes on the scale of a TF2 hat. Sure enough, most of the mods on sale were on that scale and got lots of subscribers (customers can also tell when a deal, like 24 hours to decide a mod works and then hoping the author wants to help you fix it, is rotten). And most of the high-effort complex mods on sale had already been made and developed over sometimes years of refinement as free mods. This is because the split put 100% of the burden of QA, tech support, and customer service on the people getting only 25% of the money.

So there's no real reason to think that non-authors who see this as a bad deal are armchair quarterbacks deciding they know better than anyone else. Lots of mod authors knew better and for good reasons too.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 29, 2015

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

CJ posted:

Also lol who are the idiots who were involved in the scheme and accepted the terms while condemning them?
I saw some post from the fishing mod guy (who ended up getting his mod removed :v:) where he said he wasn't particularly happy with the split but accepted the deal anyway. By far most of the modders/gamedevs I've talked to about it seemed to at least understand the cut (even if they would prefer it to be higher), but it could entirely be the bubble of people I hang out with.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Thug Lessons posted:

I honestly can't remember a single modder who defended it, maybe Arthmoor was stupid enough for that.

Worth noting that Arthmoor is unemployed and has expressed his support for the deal in terms of his economic desperation.

Makes you think.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Lucid Dream posted:

I agree Bethesda should have put more effort into it. I would be completely in favor of a more curated paid mod market.

This is one of the conditions that I'd like to see. Bethesda really just needs to have someone look over the mods that are going premium and make sure that they have some minimum standard. Like making sure the mods in question have proper models for all races/sexes and in menus, making sure it is somewhat balanced, and having them not be added in through console commands.

On the other hand though, I think it would be hot donkey poo poo if Bethesda ended up getting more money because they didn't create a proper UI for the PC and let someone else fix it.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
So long as we are just spitballing I'd honestly have a waaaaaay smaller problem with the way funds were being distributed if Bethesda was just willing to man up and accept responsibility for the bugs that inevitably got introduced with these mods. Obviously it wouldn't happen because bug testers would require salaries and that would make the stream of free profit back into some kind of regular style revenue with real expenses and poo poo like a real company has to deal with. Hard.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Grinning Goblin posted:

This is one of the conditions that I'd like to see. Bethesda really just needs to have someone look over the mods that are going premium and make sure that they have some minimum standard. Like making sure the mods in question have proper models for all races/sexes and in menus, making sure it is somewhat balanced, and having them not be added in through console commands.

On the other hand though, I think it would be hot donkey poo poo if Bethesda ended up getting more money because they didn't create a proper UI for the PC and let someone else fix it.

OTOH i think it's hot donkey poo poo that Bethesda doesn't create a proper UI, and when the guy who comes along and fixes it asks for money people are outraged at him rather than Bethesda for not having a suitable UI in the first place.

That's why i disagree with the people who say bug fix mods should be free. No they shouldn't, they should be paid so people demand Bethesda fix the bugs rather than giving Bethesda a free pass and expecting someone else to do it for them.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Lucid Dream posted:

I don't understand why you keep acting like there are people here saying that people shouldn't be allowed to complain. Of course people should be able to complain, but everyone else is allowed to discuss those complaints too.

I thought it was understood that everyone's posts were their own opinions rather than objective facts, but I guess that is too much to assume.

If you remember last several days ago, everyone was pretty sure that paid mods will stay. Your stance was that while, yes, Valve model has some shortcomings, the free market will ultimately make everything OK. Customers supposed to know what they're doing, so bad mods would obviously be downvoted after several days. Ultimately, like you and several other people reasoned, people want to pay for mods and modders want to get paid for them. People who wanted them to remain free were a tiny minority who didn't understand how the world works.

Now, after a huge uproar, several minor scandals and Valve pulling the plug, it's everyone's fault for ruining a good business and denying you a chance to become modding tycoons. Customers, who were supposed to be 100% rational, now are idiots for not recognizing what was good for them. Bethesda and Valve, the same for-profit corporations that by no means should give anyone anything for free, are also supposed to cling to a clearly unprofitable scheme, because modders deserve payment. How is it then? Had the free market spoken? Or it doesn't count because the end result isn't what you wanted?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

GunnerJ posted:

hosed up that someone can get called a weirdo for bringing Marxisty-sounding too-much-thinking into a thread in the Video Games Forum but it's cool to literally defend labor exploitation as correct and acceptable.

lmao if you think bethesda taking a majority of the cut is "labor exploitation"

there's no way a modder is going to invest a fraction of the time it took Bethesda to build the drat tools their using to build their mod

please show me an industry where you have a company publish your product, promote it, distribute it, provide the ip, tools, and platform that it runs on for less than 45% of a cut

get a job you weirdo

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

down with slavery posted:

there's no way a modder is going to invest a fraction of the time it took Bethesda to build the drat tools their using to build their mod

please show me an industry where you have a company publish your product,

Wait a mi-

quote:

promote it,

What?

quote:

distribute it,

They what?

quote:

provide the ip, tools, and platform that it runs on for less than 45% of a cut

All right, this is what they actually did. The IP already existed since TES: Arena and served to produce at least five games. The "platform" is actually a game which has to be bought by each modder and each person who wants to buy a mod. And making content creation for a game easy, Bethesda ensured its longevity. Not only it brings more customers, it also keeps at least a part of them engaged in their IP so they will be more receptive when another game hits the shelves. There is nothing there that makes 45% cut reasonable.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

please show me an industry where you have a company publish your product, promote it, distribute it, provide the ip, tools, and platform that it runs on for less than 45% of a cut

get a job you weirdo

You quoted a person saying free modding is better than paid modding and accused him of "cultural marxism".

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

get a job you weirdo

rich, coming from someone who advocates panhandling on the internet via video game mods

:gas:

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
the falskaar guy who got hired by bungie is a fucker idiot bitch compared to me, video game industry (captain of), getting cut a steambux check barely high enough to get me a wow sub after I put my poo poo behind a paywall :smaug:

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

the falskaar guy who got hired by bungie is a fucker idiot bitch compared to me, video game industry (captain of), getting cut a steambux check barely high enough to get me a wow sub after I put my poo poo behind a paywall :smaug:

This but unironically.

By the way as a result of Gaben showing his true colours by trying to sell mods and then not selling them, some redditors on /r/pcmasterrrace have decided to make their own digital distribution platform http://www.reddit.com/r/Project_Ascension

As you can see you have the Store, Library, Mods and PC Gaming News. The mods are separate from the store because they won't sell the mods.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Gantolandon posted:

People who wanted them to remain free were a tiny minority who didn't understand how the world works.
I never said this personally, I think it was pretty clear that the majority of consumers were opposed to the idea, but I would have expected them to be considering something they enjoyed for free was all of a sudden being monetized. I was pretty sure people would find something else to get angry at in a week or two and the whole thing would blow over, but they pulled the plug before that could happen. I don't blame them, they were taking a huge reputation hit.

Gantolandon posted:

Now, after a huge uproar, several minor scandals and Valve pulling the plug, it's everyone's fault for ruining a good business and denying you a chance to become modding tycoons.
First of all I'm not trying to mod for profit myself, I stopped modding because I didn't see it as a viable path if I wanted to make a job out of gamedev. I would like to do it again in my free time in the future if I could use it as a bit of supplemental income, but I'm much less likely to do that if the best I could hope for is the occasional donation. Regardless, I don't blame the customers, many of them brought up some perfectly legitimate points. I still think modders should be able to charge for their work, but the way the system was set up had some serious problems.

Gantolandon posted:

Customers, who were supposed to be 100% rational, now are idiots for not recognizing what was good for them.
I never called them idiots. I do think eventually everyone would be better off with paid mods because we'd get higher quality mods and more dedicated modders, but I don't think people are stupid because they disagree with me on that point.

Gantolandon posted:

Bethesda and Valve, the same for-profit corporations that by no means should give anyone anything for free, are also supposed to cling to a clearly unprofitable scheme, because modders deserve payment.
It might have been unprofitable in the short term due to the backlash (Valve support answering tons of emails from angry people, etc), but the mods were selling. If you look into the future I think its clear that Valve wanted to introduce this system so that they could find a way to monetize HL3/Portal 3/L4D3/etc beyond the intial price. I would love to see professional, well crafted mods for those games and I believe motivating the modders with the potential of profit would have led to a higher proportion of good mods. Its fine if you disagree, all I can do is speak from my own experience, and personally I am more motivated to put out a solid product if I know I can make some profit from it.

Gantolandon posted:

How is it then? Had the free market spoken? Or it doesn't count because the end result isn't what you wanted?
I think it was perfectly rational of Valve/Bethesda to pull back on the system, many of the points brought up are valid and hopefully Valve will look at the feedback and come up with something that doesn't create as much blowback.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

CJ posted:

This but unironically.

start a patreon and make the backer rewards a guarantee to not post. that, I would pay for

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
How many of the issues brought up in this whole thing would have been moot if a third-party service like ModDB unveiled paid mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Not actually what I was referring to. :)

• Locked thread