Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

This is the thread for the current anime adaptation of RIN-NE (Kyoukai no Rinne), and for all manga by the illustrious Rumiko Takahashi, perhaps currently best known in the west for Inu Yasha.

Waitwaitwait, she did other, better things, too! Urusei Yatsura, Maisson Ikkoku, and Ranma 1/2 are her other big ones, and they're all pretty great. Rin-ne is more in line with the tone of UY or Ranma, and it's solid Takahashi and a fun read.

Synopsis (from Viz's volume 1):

Viz posted:

As a child Sakura Mamiya mysteriously disappeared in the woods behind her grandma's home. She returned whole and healthy, but since then she has had the power to see ghosts. Now a teenager, she just wishes the ghosts would leave her alone! At school, the desk next to Sakura's has been empty since the start of the school year. Then one day her always-absent classmate Rinne Rokudo shows up, and he's far more than what he seems!

Sakura's curiosity about the mysterious Rinne draws her deeper into an amazing world on the boundary between the living and the dead. Helping Rinne is one thing, but will tagging along with him leave her trapped in the afterlife? And does Rinne really know what he's doing? Dealing with the afterlife isn't easy, especially when you don't know all the rules!

Characters, as that seems to be the done thing:

Our straight man viewpoint character, Sakura Mamiya. She's been able to see spirits and such for a decade or so now, and she's no longer impressed by their shennanigans. Able to "go with the flow" to a fault, she's always ready with a 10-yen coin for:

The eponymous Rinne, a part-shinigami, part-human who makes a meager living from the offerings left from those who make requests of him; requests of a spiritual nature, of course, which always seem to require fat stacks of yen (generally no more than ¥50, tops). After all, even hell runs on money. He is helped by:

Rokumon, a black cat who forms contracts with shinigami to help them out in various ill-defined ways. He generally takes the form of a small creepy-cute black cat with a human face, but can cast a glamour upon himself to make him appear large and menacing or like a little kitten. He is less scrupulous than Rinne when it comes to making a living. He was until recently in the employ of:

Rinne's grandmother, Tamako, who fell in love with a human 50 years ago. She is very conscious of the fact that she doesn't look old enough to be a grandmother, and wants you to be conscious of it as well. This is a joke that will quickly wear out its welcome, but it doesn't stay as prominent as in the first few episodes for long. She raised Rinne, and would prefer if he return to live with her.

There are other characters, or course, and I try to add them as they are introduced in the anime.

The anime is streaming on Crunchyroll. The manga no longer seems to be available for legal online reading, or even for digital purchase, but physical volumes are available from Viz.

As mentioned, folks are encouraged to post about all the various Takahashi mangas/animes. I'll try to get writeups for them up at some point, and if the threads still alive when the Rinne anime ends (I think it's supposed to be a 2-cour) we can get the thread title changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Reserved.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Feel free to take a few more.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Nondevor posted:

I am loving the retro artstyle and how subdued Sakura's reactions are. I'm following this.

I haven't really read/seen much of Takahashi's works other than the occasional episode of Inuyasha, so what would be a good series to start off with? The OP says that Ranma 1/2 is pretty similar in tone, so I was thinking of looking at that first.

Ranma's great. I prefer the manga to the anime, but the first couple seasons of the anime and the OVAs are pretty good. The first season has a super-catchy OP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syd129Vla0Q

It's the first anime OP that I could sing along to, back when I was even nerdier than I am now!

Urusei Yatsura is also similar to Rinne in tone, but I'm not nearly as familiar with it. The second UY movie, Beautiful Dreamer, is great, though in ways that have little to do with Takahashi.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

This is so nostalgic. Ranma 1/2 is the first anime I ever watched, even before DBZ I think, and definitely the first thing I watched that I had to download on the computer. I remember downloading all the episodes in some really low quality Real Player format. I think I was in 7th or 8th grade when I watched them. I never finished the series because it sort of runs out of steam after the first 4-5 seasons, but those first several seasons are really funny and the show has a really good cast and core premise/gimmick.

edit: Here is the music video for the best Ranma 1/2 OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeR1FleDTIA

We might be the same person.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
From (iirc) the chat thread a couple days ago, we have a British dub of the first couple episodes (or at least first + some other) of Urusei Yatsura:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRcxz1MSPd0

It's pretty great.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That was a good episode today.

There was some good character development for both of our lead characters, the introduction of the third member of our love triangle and 5th main cast member and a rather nice and bittersweet story with the ghost of that student. :unsmith:

Yeah, it was well done. We're getting into stuff that I haven't read in a good long while and don't remember all that well. I think I'm enjoying it more for that.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This episode was weak, but still had some decent gags.

"This episode" being the one that aired almost a week ago, that is.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This show's definitely getting its legs under it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I am so far behind. I enjoy it, but there's nothing grabbing me to watch more.

• Locked thread