Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
Princess Leia #3 is now out after having been delayed for two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Actually, interesting query: What's Marvel/Disney/Lucasfilm policy on re-introducing things/characters from the old EU? I'm not clamouring for the return of Kyp Durron or the Darksaber or anything, but stuff like Winter and Mara Jade and Wraith Squadron were cool ideas that would make neat books/comics/vidya games.

Is it a full-on "NO!" or a "You can have characters like them but you have to change the names and some details" or a "sure, if it fits our larger vision" situation?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I can't recall seeing anything from them regarding the subject, but based on what they have released already as far as novels and the Clone Wars they aren't afraid to bring poo poo back if it doesn't conflict with the narrative.

I feel like if Mara Jade comes back, it won't be as Luke's wife.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Actually, interesting query: What's Marvel/Disney/Lucasfilm policy on re-introducing things/characters from the old EU? I'm not clamouring for the return of Kyp Durron or the Darksaber or anything, but stuff like Winter and Mara Jade and Wraith Squadron were cool ideas that would make neat books/comics/vidya games.

Is it a full-on "NO!" or a "You can have characters like them but you have to change the names and some details" or a "sure, if it fits our larger vision" situation?
They own it all, they can do what they want on a case-by-case basis.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

It was the first EU material there'd ever been, wasn't it? I think it just about predated the holiday special.

You are correct. The novel was released 1 March 1978, the Holiday Special was 17 November 1978. The comic adaptation by Terry Austin and Chris Sprouse didn't happen until 1996, but it's pretty fun.

The whole "What if...?" aspect is one of the things I like best about it, and why I enjoyed the Infinities series so much. Lance Parkin did a lovely extrapolation of how Empire could have gone if it was a "cheap sequel" reusing most of the old sets and costumes, rather than the follow up to one of the biggest and most successful films ever: https://lanceparkin.wordpress.com/2013/02/12/star-wars-2/

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Splinter of the Mind's Eye for Life!

Please tell me I'm not misreading anything and that is actually Darth Vader tripping over his own arm into a death pit because if so it's the best thing I've seen all day.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Gaz-L posted:

The odds are very strong that Thrawn and Mara Jade at least survived the Great Canon Purge of 2014 based on this poster that was issued at this year's Celebration:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There are still Thrawn action figures as well. I saw some in a TRU not too long ago.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Gaz-L posted:

I want the Shadows of the Empire and what you mentioned. Shadows because it actually became a phenomenon outside the fandom.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Crowsbeak posted:

I want the Shadows of the Empire and what you mentioned. Shadows because it actually became a phenomenon outside the fandom.
Love that soundtrack!

The Finale

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 30, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Crowsbeak posted:

I've only read the novel, but I understand the game was quite good. I believe there's also a trading card of Leia kicking Prince Xizor (who's the sleaziest guy ever; his special ability is being able to exhale rophynol) in the nuts, so that's cool.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've only read the novel, but I understand the game was quite good. I believe there's also a trading card of Leia kicking Prince Xizor (who's the sleaziest guy ever; his special ability is being able to exhale rophynol) in the nuts, so that's cool.

I remember toy r us with what must have been half their star wars section having shadows of the empire merchandise, I mean while you have to be a traditional fan to know who Mara Jade is, someone outside of the fandom could know who dash Rendar or Xixor is. There was someone I went to school with who was Xixor for halloween.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm so glad Mara Jade is no longer canon.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I'm glad your face no longer canon! <:mad:>

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gaz-L posted:

I'm glad your face no longer canon! <:mad:>

:saddowns: The Destroyer-class Lurdiak was the most beautiful faceship in the imperial fleet.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know that I agree with you on a great many things, but this right here is a correct opinion.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Why don't you want Luke to be happy?

She's a better alternative than that Computer AI at least.

Well, maybe not.

"Han, Leia...I'd like you to meet my new girlfriend!" :pulls space-tablet out of his pocket:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Her?!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

:getout:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

redbackground posted:

Well, maybe not.

"Han, Leia...I'd like you to meet my new girlfriend!" :pulls space-tablet out of his pocket:

Mara Jade was more interesting as a business woman cleaning up her life after the Empire fell. Her romance with Luke was weird and forced. They made friendly overtures to one another but the fact remained that Luke carpetbombed her entire life with his victory over the Emperor. It never made sense to me that they would fall in love after that, even after Mara conquers her brainwashing and moves on.

Mara Jade could come back but she needs a different role that isn't bouncing between "Luke's wife" and "dying of space cancer."

She had a lot of promise starting out but then it just went to poo poo at the end and oh god the Yuuzhen Vong subplot no :byodame:

Besides, Luke is more interesting if he never does get together with a woman. He's the last Jedi, he has more important things to do than get married.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

redbackground posted:

Well, maybe not.

To quote the big Let's Read megathread from a few years back:

"Stick it in my floppy drive, farmboy!"

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

HIJK posted:

Besides, Luke is more interesting if he never does get together with a woman. He's the last Jedi, he has more important things to do than get married.

I think that Luke getting married at some point is important to demonstrate that all that stuff about Jedi not forming attachments is bullshit, and that the new Jedi Order works differently than the old one.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

VirtualStranger posted:

I think that Luke getting married at some point is important to demonstrate that all that stuff about Jedi not forming attachments is bullshit, and that the new Jedi Order works differently than the old one.

The other thing to keep in mind is that EU Luke's penis shoots misery. Every woman he made it with ended up dead or cursed in some fashion.

I Am Hydrogen
Apr 10, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I would assume they would reintroduce things/character from the old EU. It makes sense in terms of business/money. They can basically either further alienate a dedicated, though pissed off and butthurt part of their fanbase or throw them a few bones and callbacks to the old EU that only they will get to win them over.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
I wouldn't mind Thrawn or Corran Horn coming back, but I'm not super-invested in them either. I just liked the books they were in.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I wouldn't mind them coming back as that means they aren't investing the majority of their time in the boring as poo poo Original trilogy poo poo they got going now.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

I Am Hydrogen posted:

I would assume they would reintroduce things/character from the old EU. It makes sense in terms of business/money. They can basically either further alienate a dedicated, though pissed off and butthurt part of their fanbase or throw them a few bones and callbacks to the old EU that only they will get to win them over.

Or they can not because the people pissed off will buy anything with Star Wars on it anyway.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I hope Dash Rendar comes back.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The game was great for its time but aged poorly.

The releasing of his rohypnol pheromones turns him pink. Straight from the SOTE graphic novel:

Fortunately, Chewbacca interrupts, giving her enough time to realize that she'd been effectively drugged. She then stays behind to continue acting as a distraction while Chewie escapes:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

TwoPair posted:

Please tell me I'm not misreading anything and that is actually Darth Vader tripping over his own arm into a death pit because if so it's the best thing I've seen all day.

I guess you could say Vader's defeat came by his own hand in that case?

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Holy poo poo that looks loving terrible

Multiple people apparently thought it was a good idea to have Leia get sexually molested by a green lizard man. What the gently caress. :psyduck:

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

VirtualStranger posted:

Multiple people apparently thought it was a good idea to have Leia get sexually molested by a green lizard man. What the gently caress. :psyduck:

It's cool, it's cool, her dad came and kicked his rear end.

With loving turbolasers.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

VirtualStranger posted:

The book also had some pretty hosed up lines during this whole thing. Xixor is a terrible, creepy, Mary Sue villain. I'm glad Leia kicked him in the balls, but I wish the whole situation never happened. I mean, there were some fun parts to the book too, but between this and Dash Rendar having to deal with PTSD, it sometimes went to weird places.

JediTalentAgent posted:

I guess you could say Vader's defeat came by his own hand in that case?

:hfive:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Vader going full blown papa wolf on Xizor's rear end is the best part of Shadows of the Empire.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

HIJK posted:

Vader going full blown papa wolf on Xizor's rear end is the best part of Shadows of the Empire.

But he was being protective of Luke, not Leia.

He never even knew Leia had been captured by Xixor.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

TwoPair posted:

You are completely correct.

Splinter of the Mind's Eye might not be Ulysses or anything, but it's heads and shoulders above, like, Darksabre or the whole Yuuzhan Vong thing. It's probably my favorite Star Wars book, up there with the Thrawn books and Daley's Han Solo Adventures (as opposed to the weird and not so good Han Solo trilogy by A.C. Crispin).

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

Yes yes but it's the thought that counts!

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Blind Sally posted:

To be fair, he didn't even know he had a daughter at this point. He learned that information about 10 minutes before he kicked the bucket.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

VirtualStranger posted:

It gets better.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One thing I've learned from checking out old SW comics on Unlimited is that they did not put top artistic talent on these books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know, I like Jan Duursema's Star Wars art.