Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't know, I like Jan Duursema's Star Wars art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, you can't win 'em all.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, that Rebel pilot just looks kind of bland, not bad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

To be fair, that Rebel pilot just looks kind of bland, not bad.

Look at the perspective on the eyes.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ensign_Ricky posted:

It gets better.

I spent over a month's allowances buying and trading for a whole line of Marvel trading cards by these guys in 1994, and a few 8x10" blowups. One of them had the Hulk shooting a Hulk-sized submachinegun.

Teenagers do a lot of dumb things.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Crowsbeak posted:

I mean while you have to be a traditional fan to know who Mara Jade is, someone outside of the fandom could know who dash Rendar or Xixor is.

No one outside of fandom knew who Rendar or Xixor were.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The comic needs to bring back Chewbacca getting crushed by a moon, the most badass death in history

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Davros1 posted:

Unless you owned the N64 game.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Unless you owned the N64 game.

But those characters didn't permeate through the public conscious like Vader or Chewbacca or Yoda. Or even Jar Jar. Unless they were already Star Wars fans, mentioning Prince Xixor to anyone would only draw blank looks.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Davros1 posted:

But those characters didn't permeate through the public conscious like Vader or Chewbacca or Yoda. Or even Jar Jar. Unless they were already Star Wars fans, mentioning Prince Xixor to anyone would only draw blank looks.

You know, I'll grant that in part.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Wasn't Prince Xizor brought up in Spaced or Clerks with the main characters talking about how stupid the pronunciation of his name was?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

Wasn't Prince Xizor brought up in Spaced or Clerks with the main characters talking about how stupid the pronunciation of his name was?

It'd have to have been Spaced, Clerks was way before he existed.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Davros1 posted:

They had action figures at Wal-Mart and commercials for the Shadows N64 game on TV. I mean yeah it didn't become part of the enduring popular consciousness or anything, but the whole Shadows of the Empire "multimedia event" was A Thing you could semi-casually notice for like a year. Especially if you had kids or were a kid, not just a usenet-posting ubernerd.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Davros1 posted:

Yeah tell that to everyone who played Shadows of the Empire and owned a Dash Rendar action figure. as others mentioned it was a event with loving ads all over tv for it, kids talked about Shadows of the Empire. Kids who certainly didn't turn into loving nerds like your truly, so I would say it is much more well known than say Thrawn.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 3, 2015

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
It was the most well known EU thing but that's not saying much. The general populace knows about the movies and that's it. Sorry to say, but if you know anything more you're a nerd.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

rear end Catchcum posted:

It was the most well known EU thing but that's not saying much. The general populace knows about the movies and that's it. Sorry to say, but if you know anything more you're a nerd.

Yeah getting more action figures to play with and a hyped up n64 game when you were a kid didn't make one a star wars nerd. Seriously would you call someone who played Shadows of the empire and owned the action figures a nerd? Now knowing who Thrawn was made you a nerd.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 3, 2015

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah getting more action figures to paly with and a hyped up n64 game when you were a kid didn't amke one a star wars nerd. Seriously would you call someone who played Shadows of the empire and owned the action figures a nerd? Now knowing who Thrawn was made you a nerd.

To be fair, Thrawn also had an action figure.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Ensign_Ricky posted:

The ice cream maker guy from Cloud City got an action figure.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

VirtualStranger posted:

Hey that ice cream maker is one of the approximately billion secret bits of technology and information necessary to take out the second Death Star.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

VirtualStranger posted:

I'll grant that, but at least he actually appeared in a film, even if it was only for a split second.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I don't think I ever saw an ad for him on TV.

Now this I remember.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcdfK3DrJNQ

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 3, 2015

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Yeah if you own Star Wars toys you're a nerd.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

If you post in a comic book forum, you're a nerd. :smugbert:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

If you're eight and its 1997 then you're a kid.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

VirtualStranger posted:

Back in the day when I was a much bigger Star Wars nerd, I wanted to try and put together a stop-motion fan film project of recreating the Star Wars movies shot for shot using nothing but the action figures. It's not an unrealistic idea since they made figures of literally everyone.

I used to have a shitton of Star Wars comics and novels and was pretty much a completionist, but I recently purged my collection down to just the stuff I actually enjoy and would want to re-read in the future. Pretty much just the X-wing and the "Tales from..." books, and the X-wing, Boba Fett, and Tales of the Jedi comics.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
My dad is going to be redoing his attic this summer, we're excited to find the melted bits of plastic that were my Star Wars toys from the 1980s!

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Shadows of the Empire does not get mentioned in Spaced. Tim was a Playstation man.

Also, I've always found Cam Kennedy's art in Dark Empire to be pretty cool.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gargamel Gibson posted:

It's the best.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Gargamel Gibson posted:

redbackground posted:

It's the best.

*twitching* You guys are *trying* to get a reaction out of me, aren't you?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Soonmot posted:

My dad is going to be redoing his attic this summer, we're excited to find the melted bits of plastic that were my Star Wars toys from the 1980s!

Post pictures.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I seriously only read canon stuff.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The Outrider has been confirmed as canonical: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/04/30/shadows-of-the-empires-outrider-confirmed-as-star-wars-canon

Whether or not Disney will extend that to Dash Rendar or any other Shadows-related material remains to be seen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

The Outrider has been confirmed as canonical: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/04/30/shadows-of-the-empires-outrider-confirmed-as-star-wars-canon

Whether or not Disney will extend that to Dash Rendar or any other Shadows-related material remains to be seen.

"Hm, well, let's see. You've got... knockoff Han Solo and Rape Lizard. No, no thank you."

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Don't forget about Rude C-3PO and the Fem Bot from Austin Powers!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Blind Sally posted:

The Outrider was a cool ship (and toy). I may have had one hanging from my room's ceiling back in the day!

ladies

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Davros1 posted:

Yeah, if you just namedrop him, but if you add "y'know, the bad guy from Shadows of the Empire on N64" they'll probably get it. The SW games have permeated nerd-dom outside of specific SW fandom pretty heavily- nerdy people who aren't SW spergs still tend to know who HK-47 or Kyle Katarn are (or at least "the robot from KOTOR" and "the Not Han from Jedi Knight"), and older ones will even recognize the TIE Fighter and X-Wing dudes (those were honestly a little before my time and the games are too clunky for me in 2015, so I can't remember their names).

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 6, 2015

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
No, dude, you just don't get how nerdy you and your circle are. No one but more than casual fans know who the gently caress you're talking about.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Davros1 posted:

Prince Xixor.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

"y'know, the bad guy from Shadows of the Empire on N64"

As someone who posts on a comic book forum the fact this I can only answer "Who and what?" probably means nobody knows that guy.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I am pretty sure most people if they heard the name would assume it is a Dune character, if they knew what Dune was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

No, dude, you just don't get how nerdy you and your circle are. No one but more than casual fans know who the gently caress you're talking about.

to be clear, I'm talking about people who skew nerdy but aren't Wookieepedia editors, not outright non-nerds, no poo poo the latter group isn't gonna have a clue who they are.