Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
Issue #2 of Kanan: The Last Padawan has been released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

VirtualStranger posted:

Good soldiers follow orders.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

to be clear, I'm talking about people who skew nerdy but aren't Wookieepedia editors, not outright non-nerds, no poo poo the latter group isn't gonna have a clue who they are.

I think those people will know what Shadows of the Empire is but it's unlikely they remember anything about it past the part with the wampas in the N64 game.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

VirtualStranger posted:

Anyone with a rat tail that drat long deserves their fate.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

McSpanky posted:

Anyone with a rat tail that drat long deserves their fate.

That's something from the movies; Jedi apprentices have one long braid.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I know it's a really minor detail to focus on (especially when compared to the rest of Lucas' crimes against humanity), but for some reason those goofy-rear end rat tails always annoyed the hell out of me. They just seemed so out of place against the rest of the Jedis' monk style wardrobes. I feel like it would have been less jarring to just shave their heads, or if they absolutely had to have a distinctive hair style maybe just give them tonsures or something. Anything but a goddamn white trash rat tail!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

VirtualStranger posted:

Eeeegh I'll harm you!!!

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

This is a thread about Star Wars funny books on an internet forum; you did not need to point that out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gargamel Gibson posted:

This is a thread about Star Wars funny books on an internet forum; you did not need to point that out.

In other words, it's :spergin: central, so someone was pointing it out one way or another.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Braids only appear in the prequels, correct?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They do indeed.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Now, no one ever SAW the lower part of the back of Vader's head in the films. He may have had one coiled up in his neck armor.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

rear end Catchcum posted:

Braids only appear in the prequels, correct?

Well, no real Padawan in the OT - and Luke already has such luxurious hair that any braiding would be a fashion crime.

Considering that a large number of Padawan don't even have hair (and get to wear some kind of beads instead) makes it even worse. As does the fact that the braids of Obi-Wan and Anakin switch side constantly in the PT.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I think the idea of apprentices wearing something to symbolize their apprenticeship only for it to be shed upon reaching the level of knight is cool. Making that symbol an ugly rat tail attached to already questionable haircuts is terrible, though.

And I know Star Wars has silly words in it like Jedi and Sith and Yoda and Obi-Wan, but for some reason padawan always bothered me. It just sounds so dumb, especially when everybody calls them apprentices in the OT.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Richard "Lord British" Garriott has not one but two (!!) rat tails, and he went to space. I'm sure there's a connection there.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Are the prequels confirmed canon?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

FishFood posted:

And I know Star Wars has silly words in it like Jedi and Sith and Yoda and Obi-Wan, but for some reason padawan always bothered me. It just sounds so dumb, especially when everybody calls them apprentices in the OT.

And it's padwan that strikes you as unnecessary when "youngling" exists?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think being called "my young padawan" on a daily basis would turn me over to the dark side.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Are the prequels confirmed canon?

Yes, sadly. The official canon, as of right now, are the 6 movies, 2 animated shows (Clone Wars and Rebels, I think?), the new Marvel comics and, of course, the upcoming film.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Couple of the new novels are canon too.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

Blind Sally posted:

I hope Dash Rendar comes back.

The game was great for its time but aged poorly.

The releasing of his rohypnol pheromones turns him pink. Straight from the SOTE graphic novel:

Fortunately, Chewbacca interrupts, giving her enough time to realize that she'd been effectively drugged. She then stays behind to continue acting as a distraction while Chewie escapes:

Lizard dick is the only antidote to his pheromones.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Can someone post the reading order for the comics? I know it was posted earlier but I can't find it

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Can someone post the reading order for the comics? I know it was posted earlier but I can't find it

I believe its the first three issues of Star Wars followed by the first 3 issues of Darth vader, but really theres only like a 2 page reference to the main storyline in the Vader books.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Soonmot posted:

And it's padwan that strikes you as unnecessary when "youngling" exists?

Youngling is also terrible.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Happy Hippo posted:

Yes, sadly. The official canon, as of right now, are the 6 movies, 2 animated shows (Clone Wars and Rebels, I think?), the new Marvel comics and, of course, the upcoming film.

Which 6 movies? There's the two Ewok movies and the one Clone Wars movie, after all!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

lol this thread is 4 pages long

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Which 6 movies? There's the two Ewok movies and the one Clone Wars movie, after all!

Prequels, OT, Clone Wars movie and show, Rebels, plus everything Disney has put out post canon reboot. Disney has been acting like the prequels don't exist and as far as I know only Rebels has seriously referenced Clone Wars.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
But is the Christmas Special still canon?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
In my heart it is.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I'm really interested to see what of anything they do with the Old Republic period. KotOR was probably my favorite DH run (despite some real awful faces during the Vector issues )

If you're interested in reading DH stuff, I'd absolutely recommend KotOR, Legacy and Legacy v2, and Dark Times.

The Darth Vader and the... miniserieses are pretty good too.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
KOTOR is great.

Except for that lovely mini the released after the run was over, War. Which was kind of lovely.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Blind Sally posted:

lol this thread is 4 pages long
I know, scrolling to the bottom of the first page is sometimes just so hard.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Official word on Old Republic stuff is "its canon until it's not." Sounds like Disney has no plans for that era right now so they're only going to make things uncanon if it fits their new vision.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Source?

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Tensokuu posted:

Official word on Old Republic stuff is "its canon until it's not." Sounds like Disney has no plans for that era right now so they're only going to make things uncanon if it fits their new vision.
This is wrong.

"Are The Old Republic expansions canon?"
"No — BioWare “has created their own universe that is so fantastic,” we’re not going to change it, says Hidalgo."

The Lucasfilm Story Group has stated they have no plans to contradict anything set before Episode I yet, however they reserve the right to do so in the future.

The new canon is:

Ep. I, II, III, IV, V, VI,
The Clone Wars film and TV show
All Rebels episodes and short films
The new Marvel comics (and the Dark Horse miniseries Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir)
The new novels A New Dawn, Heir to the Jedi, Lords of the Sith, and Tarkin
Anything else published after September 2014.

If it was made before 2015 and it isn't on that list, it's not canon, period.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

zelah posted:

I'm really interested to see what of anything they do with the Old Republic period. KotOR was probably my favorite DH run (despite some real awful faces during the Vector issues )

If you're interested in reading DH stuff, I'd absolutely recommend KotOR, Legacy and Legacy v2, and Dark Times.

The Darth Vader and the... miniserieses are pretty good too.

What the hell's up with that artwork?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

VirtualStranger posted:

This is wrong.

"No — BioWare “has created their own universe that is so fantastic,” we’re not going to change it, says Hidalgo."

The Lucasfilm Story Group has stated they have no plans to contradict anything set before Episode I yet, however they reserve the right to do so in the future.

The new canon is:

The new Marvel comics (and the Dark Horse miniseries Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir)

I went to check out the Amazon reviews of those novels to see if there's any fun toothgnashing at Disney ruining their EU, but it's mostly just people saying the novels aren't very good. No fun at all.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Davros1 posted:

What the hell's up with that artwork?

Scott Hepburn. I just tried looking up some of his other work and none of it seems to look that bad, so maybe he was trying something new? Bummer since I thought Vector was a pretty cool tie in arc. Shows one character coming into contact with several protagonists over a few thousand years of that Galaxy.

The novels seem fine. A New Dawn was good, but I haven't made it through Tarkin yet.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

VirtualStranger posted:

This is wrong.

The new canon is:

So by anything published they mean anything right? Even say rules for a table top game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

No, because that would be stupid and doesn't make any sense.