Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Darth Vader is currently doing Rise of Skywalker poo poo right now!

(He’s in Exogol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

Still think it's really funny that even Disney ultimately couldn't bother with Rise of Skywalker and scrapped the comic adaptation.

I'm cranky about this for the dumbest reason---I send my comics in to be bound into custom hardcovers, and I left my copies of TFA and TLJ's comic out saving them for an eventual TRoS comic and a "Sequel Trilogy" hardcover. Now they just kinda....linger in my comic box without anything that really fits to bind along with them

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Big crossover event announced today with a "what Boba Fett did in-between ESB and ROTJ" arc headed by Charles Soule

https://twitter.com/CharlesSoule/status/1361714804457619457?s=20

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
makes sense to have something running for boba in the comics that will end roughly right before the tv show airs

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Boba Fett trying to deliver Han Solo, fighting rival bounty hunters, and getting involved with a dispute between Black Sun and Vader in between ESB and ROTJ? Where do they come up with these original ideas!?

I kid... though I honestly do hope Dash Rendar shows up.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I guess it makes a certain amount of sense that the other hunters hired by Vader didn't just give up (and/or hadn't heard that Vader got what he wanted in Bespin) so the tried to steal Han from Fett....but....man this crossover doesn't feel all that exciting to me at all. The way they're marketing it; you'd think it's the biggest thing done in Star Wars but it just doesn't feel like something that "needs" to be a crossover. It's just an arc of Bounty Hunters or whatever.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The crossover is going to end up being a tweaked retelling of Shadows of the Empire and I am extremely okay with that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Aphra doesn't care about Han but she does care about money." :allears:

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Cross-Section posted:

Boba Fett vs Everyone

I believe it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
This checks out.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

I guess it makes a certain amount of sense that the other hunters hired by Vader didn't just give up (and/or hadn't heard that Vader got what he wanted in Bespin) so the tried to steal Han from Fett....but....man this crossover doesn't feel all that exciting to me at all. The way they're marketing it; you'd think it's the biggest thing done in Star Wars but it just doesn't feel like something that "needs" to be a crossover. It's just an arc of Bounty Hunters or whatever.

Well, hopefully it's better than regular Bounty Hunters, which has been pretty drat mediocre so far

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Cross-Section posted:

Well, hopefully it's better than regular Bounty Hunters, which has been pretty drat mediocre so far

Agreed. Bounty Hunters is the only SW book Ive dropped

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've dropped everything but High Republic and that might be on the chopping block, too.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

I've dropped everything but High Republic and that might be on the chopping block, too.

The first issue was a bit meh, but I thought the 2nd was a huge improvement in terms of introducing some cool characters and building out Sskeer's PTSD

Then again, if you've dropped everything (Vader? Aphra? Lando?!?) then these comics in general may just not be for you

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I want to read Aphra someday. I read the first few issues with her back in like 2015 and the character just rubbed me the wrong way, it came across like a Harley Quinn knockoff in all the wrong ways. But I've heard so much good about it, one of these days I need to find the time to go back and give it another try.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Aphra can be kinda quirky and due to the nature or her being the star she obviously can’t die so she often ends up in these situations which should absolutely kill her but she manages to bullshit her way out of them constantly. The thing is, she often does this at the cost of her friends or whoever happens to be around. Her relationship with Vader is fantastic. She like immediately hones in on “this guy will absolutely murder me when I stop being useful” and just rolls with it to her advantage. It was a fun dynamic during the Vader run and it was even more fun on the Aphra book proper when they run into one another again.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tbh i haven't read the new series that started this year, which i really should, but the original aphra run is really good. but also it's depressing as hell because she's a terrible person so like, if that's not your thing just a warning

i didn't ever get the sense she was like harley tho so i can't say much about the rest of the series not feeling like harley

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cross-Section posted:

The first issue was a bit meh, but I thought the 2nd was a huge improvement in terms of introducing some cool characters and building out Sskeer's PTSD

Then again, if you've dropped everything (Vader? Aphra? Lando?!?) then these comics in general may just not be for you
I don't think I even started Lando. Vader was fine, but nothing special, and post-relaunch Aphra was a huge drop, I though. They might just not be for me!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah I’ve been getting the new Aphra series and it’s..... just ok. More of the same and not really doing anything good or new which is a shame.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah I’ve been getting the new Aphra series and it’s..... just ok. More of the same and not really doing anything good or new which is a shame.

I've been enjoying this current arc with her and Sana much more than I did the kinda-watered-down Indiana Jones adventure that came before, but yeah, there's a certain spark that's gone. Still worth the read, nonetheless.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Aphra started out so strong that she won my loyalty for a good while at least, I'll keep reading her book even if it's not as good as originally and just hoping any slumps are temporary.

Kind of like Gwenpool, in that way. Original run was great so I really tried to enjoy Strikes Back, and gave it more of a chance than it deserved. Here's hoping Aphra doesn't fall that far.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cross-Section posted:

I've been enjoying this current arc with her and Sana much more than I did the kinda-watered-down Indiana Jones adventure that came before, but yeah, there's a certain spark that's gone. Still worth the read, nonetheless.

I think since Gillen left there was some zing off the dialogue fastball but it's honestly started to pick up recently. I don't think Boop needs a really big cast and I think the other characters were kind of watering things down. She only needs one or two people to bounce off of, not counting Wookiees and/or homicidal droids who communicate in beeps.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Aphra can be kinda quirky and due to the nature or her being the star she obviously can’t die so she often ends up in these situations which should absolutely kill her but she manages to bullshit her way out of them constantly. The thing is, she often does this at the cost of her friends or whoever happens to be around. Her relationship with Vader is fantastic. She like immediately hones in on “this guy will absolutely murder me when I stop being useful” and just rolls with it to her advantage. It was a fun dynamic during the Vader run and it was even more fun on the Aphra book proper when they run into one another again.

So is she Constantine in Star Wars? Definitely need to check her out too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fritzler posted:

So is she Constantine in Star Wars? Definitely need to check her out too.

The best way to describe Aphra is to think of her like Indiana Jones but she doesn't think the stuff she grabs belongs in a museum, it belongs to ever can pay the most for it. She's much more amoral than Constantine, but she'll have her moments every now and then (a little bit of a conscience as a treat).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Amoral, queer Space Indiana Jones

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking of Aphra, I saw that Durge is returning in the Aphra comic soon. Perhaps related to the fact that the Tartakovsky Clone Wars is going on Disney+ on April 2.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Chairman Capone posted:

Speaking of Aphra, I saw that Durge is returning in the Aphra comic soon. Perhaps related to the fact that the Tartakovsky Clone Wars is going on Disney+ on April 2.

Oh poo poo, they’re bringing Durge back? That’s awesome.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Looks like the latest issue of the Vader series gives a tiny bit more backstory of the Exegol lab, and some click bait sites are running wild with confirmations about what's shown.

Basically as Vader walks through the lab area, we are shown more vat grown Snokes in various bad states, as well as what seemingly is Luke's hand from Bespin.

Some places are now saying that it shows Luke's hand was used to make Snoke? I just think it's showing Palpatine found it and was leaving nothing wasted, either in actuality to use it for tissue DNA, or as a unsubtle threat to Anakin about what he might do with it.

Here's a review of the issue with some pics:

https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wars-darth-vader-luke-severed-hand-palpatine-snoke

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I never thought of it before but I have to admit I do kind of like the idea of Snoke being Luuke (with the caveat that I like it as something that can work within what we ended up getting from the movies, my preference would be for something else entirely for Snoke). In addition to playing off the cloning and resurrection stuff, having Ben be seduced to the dark side and mentored by a hosed-up and twisted version of Luke after being failed by the real Luke is funny but also thematically appropriate. As is Palpatine deciding that if the Chosen One was ultimately "defeated" by his son, then he was just going to clone the son.

But I don't think it can actually be that Snoke is Luuke because wasn't it supposed to be that Palpatine made Snoke pre-Clone Wars? Or was that one of the things that got tossed out after TROS?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I think the comment you're referring to was one of the novelizations having him say/think that he had seen the Empire rise and fall? Am I remembering right? Which technically, with a Luuke idea, would be true?

If Snoke was a dumping ground for Sith and Luke DNA, I think that would be a decent explanation for his appearance.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Teek posted:

I think the comment you're referring to was one of the novelizations having him say/think that he had seen the Empire rise and fall? Am I remembering right? Which technically, with a Luuke idea, would be true?

If Snoke was a dumping ground for Sith and Luke DNA, I think that would be a decent explanation for his appearance.

I think it originated in the Last Jedi novelization, but I feel like that bit got repeated in some other works also, but really can't remember now.

Snoke being a mix of Luke and Palpatine, or Luke and Plagueis, would also kind of work for keeping the midichlorian manipulation aspect going.

The more I think of it, the more I do like Snoke being cloned from Luke's hand. It's funny how for all the Snoke theories there were back in 2015, that never came up. Though actually, I'll have to go back through The Art of TFA, but I think (unless I'm making it up from a faulty memory) there was one idea from the early development where the proto-Kylo Ren character was going to pretend to be Luke who had gone to the dark side, which also ties in well to the idea that Snoke comes from Luke.

Ultimately I still think it would have been best for Snoke to have just been Plagueis from the start.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I hate that Snoke is anything other than Snoke. Not everything needs to be a clone, or a retuning character under a new name, or someone's kid or parent or whatever. Just let him be Some Guy who manipulated his way into taking over a bunch of imperial remnant stuff

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I feel Snoke should have just been Plagueis because from the framework of the sequels we got, the prequel trilogy is almost completely unimportant and disconnected and it would be a way to bridge that, especially given Luke's decision to end the Jedi Order is basically the only other prequel connection (and which he is ultimately proven wrong about), so having those two views on the Jedi and the dark side's legacy both stem from the prequels would be good. Along with the fact that the last Skywalker would sacrifice himself to kill the progenitor of the Skywalkers would also be a good full-circling.

Ultimately though I don't think Abrams originally gave any thought to Snoke's background, and neither did Johnson, and Abrams only changed it to try and justify bringing back the Emperor. Remember the month or two when the Lucasfilm people were claiming that Palpatine being resurrected was part of their sequel plans from the start? Still makes me laugh how Lucasfilm just kind of gave up the fight on TROS once the culture so uniformly turned against it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Johnson wisely didn't bother with an in-film lore dump and desired to focus on Snoke in his more critical capacity of "how he interacts with our main characters", Ben in particular. That's something I really appreciate about TLJ -- characters are characters first, exposition second. I LOVE random lore, but I think that's better explored in longform stuff like novels or whatever rather than something more contained like a film

E: I do agree that the lack of PT connection in the ST is not great. TRoS billed itself as an "end of a saga" but really only ends the ST. There's no sign of the endless cycle of wars being halted, Palpatine isn't permanently dealt with, Anakin and Padmé aren't mentioned at all. Oof.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 29, 2021

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Agree about Snoke being Plagueis. And I think it would have worked too to end up having Palpatine revealed as still pulling his strings. Especially if you play it up as Snoke being his utterly controlled puppet. So make it that Snoke is fully cognizant and hating that he has no control of himself and is only acting at Sheev’s whim. Might have set up an interesting hook to have him thank Kylo right after he kills him, essentially showing Plagueis making a 180 on his living forever dreams, as he would instead want the freedom of death. That then is juxtaposed by Palpatine in the final movie who refuses to die no matter what.

Of course then Rey still explodes him and Anakin’s ghost would drag Sheev to Force hell in my dream version of actual plotted out trilogy.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

War of the Bounty Hunters is kicking off with a fairly "major" character reveal/return:

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2021/06/review-a-new-dawn-rises-as-a-major-character-returns-in-marvels-war-of-the-bounty-hunters-1.html

Glad to see her back, really surprised they got permission to use her. Maybe there was little expectation of her coming back in live action.

Somewhat amusing, because Qi'ra at this time is pretty much exactly the age Emilia Clarke is currently.

Teek fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 2, 2021

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Teek posted:

War of the Bounty Hunters is kicking off with a fairly "major" character reveal/return:

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2021/06/review-a-new-dawn-rises-as-a-major-character-returns-in-marvels-war-of-the-bounty-hunters-1.html

Glad to see her back, really surprised they got permission to use her. Maybe there was little expectation of her coming back in live action.

Somewhat amusing, because Qi'ra at this time is pretty much exactly the age Emilia Clarke is currently.

I figure if they bring her back with Emilia performing her it's for something set before this period anyhow. Though I also somewhat doubt this arc is going to end with her dead (despite the obvious this-person-is-about-to-get-cacked "pfft Boba Fett is just one man" dialogue), in any case.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

If they want to use the character elsewhere, they'll just plow ahead and ignore the comic version anyway. They've already done it a couple of times with Clone Wars / Bad Batch retconning stuff from novels & comics, and Poe's backstory had to be hastily patched up after Episode 9 went its own way with it.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

As far as I'm aware, they've yet to retcon a character's live/dead status. It's all been background details so far. If that counts for anything. So basically that would mean, at a minimum, she's alive at this time, but they could always retcon some of the events transpiring for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Teek posted:

As far as I'm aware, they've yet to retcon a character's live/dead status. It's all been background details so far. If that counts for anything. So basically that would mean, at a minimum, she's alive at this time, but they could always retcon some of the events transpiring for whatever reason.

I mean... Darth Maul, Boba Fett, Emperor Palpatine, Ming-Na Wen have all been brought back to life, in some cases with literally no explanation.