Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Crowsbeak posted:

So by anything published they mean anything right? Even say rules for a table top game?

Obviously, anything player-created doesn't count. Other than that, yes. The stuff in the RPGs are canon.

In fact, before the publication of the Thrawn Trilogy, the biggest source of Star Wars canon outside of the film came from the table top RPGs published by West End Games in the 80s. A lot of EU material after that referenced things that were established in those games. In many ways, West End created the old EU.

quote:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Roleplaying_Game

The material produced by West End Games was one of the major sources of Expanded Universe material before the publication of Heir to the Empire in 1991 sparked new interest in Star Wars publications, and remained an important source of EU material afterward as well. Being one of the first sources giving numbers and data to the universe shown in the films, several of the statements given by the sourcebooks have been retconned or corrected to better reflect the films and Expanded Universe fiction. Among the best known corrections are the continuity issues involving the Super Star Destroyers and the "discovery" of the Mon Calamari by the Galactic Empire.

When Timothy Zahn was hired to write what became The Thrawn Trilogy, he was sent a box of West End Games Star Wars books and directed to base his novel on the background material presented within. After the novel trilogy's success, West End Games created a series of sourcebooks inspired by Zahn's work.

quote:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/West_End_Games

While all the supplements produced by West End Games are out of print, some of the information included in their sourcebooks and adventures was used as background material for the Expanded Universe novels and comics, and some of the writers for West End Games supplements went on to write for the Star Wars Roleplaying Game produced by Wizards of the Coast. Much as with Marvel Comics' Star Wars series, relatively obscure characters and settings from WEG supplements are frequently referenced in new Expanded Universe material by such authors as Abel G. Peņa and Pablo Hidalgo (himself a former West End Games freelancer).

Lucasfilm's 2014 continuity policy change placed West End Games material under the Legends banner of Star Wars canon. Character and item statistics had always been considered non-canonical game mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Ensign_Ricky posted:

It gets better.

Man Star Wars used to be so rad

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

VirtualStranger posted:

Obviously, anything player-created doesn't count. Other than that, yes. The stuff in the RPGs are canon.

In fact, before the publication of the Thrawn Trilogy, the biggest source of Star Wars canon outside of the film came from the table top RPGs published by West End Games in the 80s. A lot of EU material after that referenced things that were established in those games. In many ways, West End created the old EU.

He said rules, not background material.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I'm curious if they are going to use Thrawn in the new canon. That's the only thing from the expanded universe (except for KOTOR stuff) that I actually know of and from what I understand so does that go for a lot of people.

e; oh, I guess I've managed to pick up that Chewbacca died fighting a moon or something as well

Kainser fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 11, 2015

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Kainser posted:

e; oh, I guess I've managed to pick up that Chewbacca died fighting a moon or something as well

He got a moon dropped on him. Just to make extra sure he's dead.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Kainser posted:

I'm curious if they are going to use Thrawn in the new canon. That's the only thing from the expanded universe (except for KOTOR stuff) that I actually know of and from what I understand so does that go for a lot of people.

God I hope not. The thrawn trilogy didn't age well. It was the best poo poo ever to my teenaged star wars deprived mind, but I've tried to read it again in my 30's and was just offput with how awful it all was. I mean c'mon, adding an additional vowel to a name to denote he's a clone? Right up there with studying the mona lisa and learning how to invade europe I guess.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Darth Vader #5 is out today.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I love the art in this issue. Lots of full pages and spreads. I have NO loving clue what's coming next in this story.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It's been said before, but Gillen should be commended for making Darth Vader still come across as a formidable badass while still capturing how pathetic he and his lot in life are

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gillen is a top tier writer and he is murdering it with Darth Vader.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

VirtualStranger posted:

Darth Vader #5 is out today.

Instead of just posting when a comic comes out, maybe tell us something about it or what you think about it or something.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I actually just appreciate knowing a new one has come out. I read their post and went to my local store.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I think I missed an issue; who is the guy with the cyborg eye? was his crew machines as well and that's why Vader said they had nothing to do with the Force?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

radlum posted:

I think I missed an issue; who is the guy with the cyborg eye? was his crew machines as well and that's why Vader said they had nothing to do with the Force?

I think that's a Rodian eye and he's the guy, or the clone of the guy, that 000 tortured to death last issue.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

He's a mad scientist that Palpatine hired to see if he could make better agents than Vader using technology in place of the force. This is fifth clone, because they tortured his fourth clone to death.

This is the same writer who does Uber, so I'm interested to see just how thoroughly Vader crushes these guys.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SW #5 out today. Aaron is nailing the characterization of the big three and it's nice to see Boba Fett back to being just plain old bad guy rather than an anti-hero with complicated motivations.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

One thing I noticed about both SW and DV is that they both make heavy use of "widescreen" panels. In Darth Vader especially, at least half the pages are just a simple sequence of evenly-spaced rectangular panels that stretch nearly the entire width of the page. Star Wars also does this too, but to a slightly lesser extent. I think this is supposed to give off a very "cinematic" feel, almost as if someone took a sequence of still images from a film reel and laid them out evenly on the page.

Here are two pages from Darth Vader #1

And two pages from Star Wars #4

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 29, 2015

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

For comparison, here are production storyboards from the movies Spartacus, Blade Runner, and Inception

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 29, 2015

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
that's actually pretty cool

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I wonder if they're not also doing that to make them easier to read for new comic readers.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I got Unlimited today to read some of the newer stuff but noticed there was a Legacy volume that I never got to. That was really nice. I remember in like 2007 people dogged on Legacy and it probably deserved it but it really grew into itself in the second half of the first volume and was a pretty good ride from that point forward. And I really enjoyed that last volume. They really rushed past some stuff but you could tell they didn't have a ton of time to tell the story. It was a nice way to provide closure to the era and in a lot of ways was a sort of "best of" many of the better tropes that Dark Horse had. And closure just isn't something you usually get in comics.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

that's actually pretty cool

It's also very much the style of the artists. Like, Cassaday to some extent and Larroca a whole lot have both gone really far in that cinematic sort of presentation.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So...uh...that payoff from Star Wars #6 and Vader #6.

Holy. poo poo.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I really, really loved how they tied that scene together from 2 different points of view, with 2 different artist's interpretations.

Brilliant move releasing both on the same day.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Carteret posted:

I really, really loved how they tied that scene together from 2 different points of view, with 2 different artist's interpretations.

Brilliant move releasing both on the same day.

That and it was loving chilling.

edit: You could seriously feel the absolute rage radiating off Vader as he called Palpatine.

edit2: The Han's wife reveal was pretty awesome too.

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 4, 2015

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Ensign_Ricky posted:

That and it was loving chilling.

edit: You could seriously feel the absolute rage radiating off Vader as he called Palpatine.

edit2: The Han's wife reveal was pretty awesome too.

I'm waiting for the ex-wife zing or some poo poo on the last one. I'm so glad I'm a hopeless fan for this stuff, because there have been some good moments in the series' so far, and some of the dialog just feels cinematic.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, Vader #6 and SW #6 might be the best non-OT Star Wars thing I've ever seen.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
...This means both X-Wing and TIE Fighter have been tossed.

That's a shame. Wasn't it TIE Fighter that gave Coruscant it's name?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

There is so much I want to talk about that is sweet in these issues, but it would just end up as a wall of spoiler text.

Like how they dodged a bullet by having using the flash grenade, so 1) Luke never actually sees Boba Fett, and 2) we get a call back to the only real jedi training Luke got with the remotes and the blast sheild.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bloodly posted:

Did the comics contradict them? That sucks. :smith:

(Anything EU that hasn't been explicitly contradicted can be brought back, I think. I know a decent chunk of EU ships from the prequel era are still canon because of Clone Wars, for example.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bloodly posted:

I think that was Timothy Zahn.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Bloodly posted:

Nah, that was the Zahn books.

What's the awesome thing that happened in the comics? I crave spoilers

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

General Battuta posted:

Nah, that was the Zahn books.

In SW #6: We learn Han Solo has a wife/ex-wife who's not terribly happy with him
In both SW #6 and DV #6: Vader learns who destroyed the Death Star and is naturally very angry that the Emperor lied to him about Padme's death

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

In SW #6: We learn Han Solo has a wife/ex-wife who's not terribly happy with him
In both SW #6 and DV #6: Vader learns who destroyed the Death Star and is naturally very angry that the Emperor lied to him about Padme's death

understatement of the year.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

General Battuta posted:

I think it's safe to share this now.

edit: And that is why you should be reading it.

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 5, 2015

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Rage is always better portrayed when it is silent. That is basically the last scene of the prequels except for a lack of "NOOOOOooooOOOOooOOOooOOoooo!"

Though I am suddenly imagining Bobba Fett not making it all the way out of the room and getting tossed through the door face first by the Force then trying to play it off like nothing happened.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 5, 2015

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I was about to go down to my local comic store and pick up all the back issues of these series' and then figure out a way to get the rest shipped to me at home.

Whats the best way to get these through subscription? Should I just use the marvel bundle here? http://subscriptions.marvel.com/store/combo.asp?cb=9

Or is there another option I'm not aware of? Thanks.

P.S. I'm sorry if this info is somewhere else but I noticed that right from the get go you guys like to post images and talk about the comics and I don't want spoilers.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

SirDan3k posted:

Rage is always better portrayed when it is silent. That is basically the last scene of the prequels except for a lack of "NOOOOOooooOOOOooOOOooOOoooo!"

It's basically what the last scene of RotS should have been. :sigh:

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I really like the page that has Vader thinking back on Padme, the Death Star Trench, and his fight with Luke in the Star Wars comic, and ends with Vader simply saying, "I have a son". Just that one panel of dawning realization, and the feeling of weight from that one spoken line was awesome to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

enigmahfc posted:

I really like the page that has Vader thinking back on Padme, the Death Star Trench, and his fight with Luke in the Star Wars comic, and ends with Vader simply saying, "I have a son". Just that one panel of dawning realization, and the feeling of weight from that one spoken line was awesome to me.

Star Wars is awesome again.