Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
They all died in live action though, I'm specifically referring to living status in literature/comics. Meaning the books or comics kills someone off, but then they're shown as still alive in the cartoons or the movies. It used to happen all the time in the EU, as far as I know, that's yet to happen in Disney.

So for example, a book has Wedge dying a few years after Endor, then bam, he somehow shows up in Rise of Skywalker.

Teek fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Boba Fett was never dead. :colbert:

Also wait a sec, some book killed Wedge? What the gently caress is this?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I think that's just a hypothetical.

But yeah, if there were any immediate plans for the character they'd likely be off the table for this story, and any major element from the films appearing in a comic in this manner is a good sign that the live action stuff is done with them for the time being.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm impressed they managed to keep it a secret, all things considered. I just knew there was a Twist at the end but thought it was going to be like Xizor or somebody.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

I mean... Darth Maul, Boba Fett, Emperor Palpatine, Ming-Na Wen have all been brought back to life, in some cases with literally no explanation.
I don't know who Ming-Na Wen is, but there was never a dead body shown for any of the others. If there's no body, you can always say they weren't dead - this happens all the time in serialized stories.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Maul got split in loving half and thrown down a shaft that was pretty loving definitive back then.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Woebin posted:

I don't know who Ming-Na Wen is, but there was never a dead body shown for any of the others. If there's no body, you can always say they weren't dead - this happens all the time in serialized stories.

Ming-Na is the name of the actress who plays Boba Fett's new buddy on the Mandalorian. She also died on that show before Fett found her and either patched her up or resuscitated her. I just thought she was in a very bad way when Mando moved on.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Maul got split in loving half and thrown down a shaft that was pretty loving definitive back then.

More than that, but at the time Lucas explicitly said that Maul was killed that way so that people would 100% know he was dead and not try to bring him back to life like Fett.

Also, Palpatine was thrown into a 100 mile deep shaft that led into the nuclear reactor of a space station that exploded 5 minutes later and we see the energy wave of his body vaporizing.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm not saying it's realistic or good storytelling or anything, but it's pretty much established convention that a "death" where the body isn't confirmed is never definitive (which isn't to say a character can't be canonically dead in such a scenario, just that they can easily be alive if a story calls for it). It's very common.

Maybe this is just semantics, though. But I don't remember anyone in the movies declaring any of these characters dead, so I'd consider it ambiguous whether they really died in the first place even before later stories brought them back.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Ming-Na is the name of the actress who plays Boba Fett's new buddy on the Mandalorian. She also died on that show before Fett found her and either patched her up or resuscitated her. I just thought she was in a very bad way when Mando moved on.
Oh, Fennec Shand? I actually forgot how she was left in the Mandalorian so I didn't react to seeing her in other things.

E:

Chairman Capone posted:

More than that, but at the time Lucas explicitly said that Maul was killed that way so that people would 100% know he was dead and not try to bring him back to life like Fett.

Also, Palpatine was thrown into a 100 mile deep shaft that led into the nuclear reactor of a space station that exploded 5 minutes later and we see the energy wave of his body vaporizing.
That's fair I guess, although if you want to make people think "oh he's definitely dead" I still think the best way is to make that explicit. I mean it's a magic space adventure, nothing's to say Maul couldn't use the force to keep his intestines in place until someone came around to find him and turn him into a into a Robocop. Or whatever the details of that was.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending this, I just don't think it even warrants raising an eyebrow when one of these characters turns out to still be alive.

Or okay, I'll actually defend the decision to bring Maul back because killing him like that was a waste.

Woebin fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jun 3, 2021

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

When I first heard they'd bought back Maul I thought it was super dumb but then his arc became one of the best things in all of Star Wars so way to go teenage Cptn_Dr, you sure we're wrong about that

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I found the end to the last Vader arc unsatisfying and when I saw the announcement for the Bounty Hunter War crossover I figured it be as dumb and bad as most recent Marvel crossovers, but the thread's turned my opinion around so I'll give it a read.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Which of these series or trades do you all really like? I've been playing the recent Squadrons game and I realized I'd skipped over all of the Marvel Star Wars comics and some must be decent.

I've skimmed the thread and it looks like Keiron Gillen's Vader and Dr Aphra are well liked, any others? I remember being kinda put off by the main Star Wars book that Aaron was writing because it's set so firmly between major events so you know all of the characters from the movies are going to make it through anything unscathed.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

If you like Squadrons, probably the Poe Dameron comic. It had ups and downs but the final few arcs were really strong, so even if it's not for you at the start (though really I think the middle is where it sags, when all of a sudden they had to extend the premise unexpectedly as the series was expanded) it ends on a high note.

There was also the TIE Fighter comic miniseries from a few years ago but I don't really remember it all that well. I think it kind of ties into Squadrons?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The original Vader series and aphra are very good, as you mentioned. Poe and the Lando mini are pretty good. The mainline star wars has always been decent-to-alright at best, but tbh i kinda fell off everything but aphra after the changeover from post ep4 to post ep5 so i don't know how good the new vader and mainline books (or the high republic stuff for that matter) are

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Greg Pak's doing some fine stuff with Vader right now.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
man i just so don't care about this war of the bounty hunters thing.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Soonmot posted:

man i just so don't care about this war of the bounty hunters thing.

I'm enjoying it for what it is, but it really does feel like this crossover was dropped on a bunch of the comics authors on very short notice

Like the ongoing Star Wars comic was literally in the middle of an arc where they're trying to link up with the Rebel fleet, Lando's POed and is seemingly thinking of betraying everyone again, Poe's mom is trapped on a Star Destroyer, etc. All that stuff is now just shoved to the background or hastily resolved in favor of them covering WotBH.

Vader and Aphra seem to have integrated better (can't speak to Bounty Hunters cause I don't read it), though it's still noticeable in the former's motivation rather abruptly switching to "actually, screw my son and all his friends" past the end of the Exegol arc, where it initially seemed obvious the whole point of it was to transition to subdued ROTJ Vader. :sigh:

I definitely feel conflicted because bringing back Qi'ra and Crimson Dawn in relation to carbonite Han is actually a banger move thematically but it seems to have proven a wrecking ball to, well, everything else lol

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 29, 2021

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So I saw that at the Barnes & Noble High Republic event yesterday, it was announced that the first issue of the High Republic comic has sold almost one million copies. I have to say that I am slightly skeptical about that, because that would make it the third best-selling comic of all time, just barely second to the first new Marvel Star Wars issue from 2015 which was launched with the full fanfare of Force Awakens mania behind it and boosted with a huge number of alternate covers and Loot Crate purchases. The idea that High Republic sells anywhere close to those numbers in 2021 is... slightly implausible to me, I'll say.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Well keep in mind those figures are how many copies were ordered by stores, not how many were actually sold to readers

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Digital sales are probably included in that right? I know a lot of people buy digital now, and Star Wars comics were already a big draw, the positive pub with the new event probably helps too.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Everyone is just going nuts over the High Republic. It's all anyone's talking about! It's taking the world by storm.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

So I saw that at the Barnes & Noble High Republic event yesterday, it was announced that the first issue of the High Republic comic has sold almost one million copies. I have to say that I am slightly skeptical about that, because that would make it the third best-selling comic of all time, just barely second to the first new Marvel Star Wars issue from 2015 which was launched with the full fanfare of Force Awakens mania behind it and boosted with a huge number of alternate covers and Loot Crate purchases. The idea that High Republic sells anywhere close to those numbers in 2021 is... slightly implausible to me, I'll say.

It's not so surprising when the first run of High Republic novels sat near the top of the New York Times bestsellers list for like a month straight

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 30, 2021

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cross-Section posted:

It's not so surprising when the first run of High Republic novels sat near the top of the New York Times bestsellers list for like a month straight

I'd say even that doesn't fully explain it, both because comics (especially the individual issues) don't tend to sell as well as books, but even for the NYT list, those books tend to sell in the low five-figure range per week.

For example, the best selling book in the US last year was Obama's memoir which was 2.5 million copies. I don't think any Star Wars book is coming within roughly half of that. Maybe the TFA novelization.

Actually out of interest, I tried looking it up, and best numbers I could find: 2 million Star Wars books of all formats/age ranges sold in 2015, compared to roughly 1 million in 2014 and 13.

I remember 15 years ago, Legacy and KOTOR sold around 20-30,000 copies of each individual issue, which made them the best selling Star Wars comics issues of the decade as well as the best selling Dark Horse issues overall (after Buffy). I'm sure the comics now have a bigger bump thanks to the Marvel branding but I can't imagine they're selling twenty or thirty times better.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
War of the Bounty Hunters is kinda fun, but also really dumb. Why does Captain Solo belong to Vader?? He let Boba have him! Why is Jabba loving with Boba Fett?! Why are they buds in the end?! Will any of this make sense? It is unbelievable to me that Boba Fett would have Solo stolen from him on the way to Jabba and yet Jabba+Vader are among the many people involved in the ensuing hijinks. I think it makes total sense for the other bounty hunters to gently caress with him to try and steal Solo to get the reward. The fact that so many people are involved stretches close to what I disliked about Solo, even if the premise itself is not as eye roll inducing.

I do like Aphra's hijinks tho.

I will say that despite the hit or miss nature of the current Star Wars ongoings, at least there is no disgusting art like some of those earlier Star Wars Main runs. A lot of the art is very good even!

Edit: I am going through my backlog of star wars comics to catch up and I just read the manga story one The Legends of Luke Skywalker. I highly recommend the last story Big Inside, the art is great and the story is like the platonic ideal of star wars for me. Spoiler summary: Luke runs into a biologist while searching for Jedi teachings, its ambiguously dated possibly after ROTJ. They end up trapped in a space slug belly after being lured by some lights, and find luminous writing. They venture through the space slugs biology eventually coming up a pristine shrine with 3 statues of ancient beings and Luke communes with 1 to find out they were force sensitive space cartographers, charting passage ways between planets pre hyperspace using the force. They had gone into a force type hibernation and say they will help Luke if he cuts them free of their time stopped force bubble. It has that sense of wonder about the Force and the history of the star wars universe that makes SW so great and the art is tits. I love the design of the 3 force cartographers too. They refer to the force as the mist and i love the idea of old space travel using the force to find other civilizations since it binds us all together.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 15, 2021

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I read the Legends of Luke Skywalker book and thought that there were a handful of good stories in it, but looking at the manga adaptation, apparently they only did four of them? That's kind of disappointing. Though the one you mentioned was one of the best from the book, so at least they got that.

The book itself was kind of disappointing in how uneven it was, especially for something by Ken Liu.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Qi'ra's getting her own limited run series:

https://www.ign.com/articles/exclusive-first-details-star-wars-crimson-reign-comic-series-solo-qira-emilia-clarke?utm_source=twitter

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Good poo poo, she's been pretty great in WotBH so far

Also, I want to frame the Star Wars ongoing cover

https://twitter.com/SWSplashPagePod/status/1428431580276609028?s=20

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
When did Thanos become a rock monster

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Annnnd now I can't unsee it. Dammit

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Life Day comic coming this November:

https://www.starwars.com/news/marvel-star-wars-life-day-announce

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Trailer for the upcoming Lego Star Wars: Terrifying Tales Disney+ special:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Xyiun4LXs

Seems clearly inspired by the Tales from Vader's Castle comics, not to mention Ren from the lovely Rise of Kylo Ren comic appears. Still can't believe that comic was as bad as it was.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Trailer for the upcoming Lego Star Wars: Terrifying Tales Disney+ special:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Xyiun4LXs

Seems clearly inspired by the Tales from Vader's Castle comics, not to mention Ren from the lovely Rise of Kylo Ren comic appears. Still can't believe that comic was as bad as it was.

As bad as it was I actually liked Ren and his beatnik-villain vibes. Wonder if they keep that characterization for the special or make him into more of a generic bad guy.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

A number of sites are reporting that Lucasfilm is ending the Star Wars license for IDW, which is a shame, as I thought a lot of them were some of the most fun Star Wars comics of the last few years, especially since they didn't tend to take themselves too seriously.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So wait there were Star Wars comics being published by both Marvel (which Disney owns) *and* IDW (which they don’t own)?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah the IDW sw adventure books started coming out around the same time as Marvel's

Marvel also has had IDW doing kids comics of Marvel characters for a while

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

So wait there were Star Wars comics being published by both Marvel (which Disney owns) *and* IDW (which they don’t own)?

Yeah, Marvel contracted with IDW to make all ages Star Wars and Marvel comics.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

A number of sites are reporting that Lucasfilm is ending the Star Wars license for IDW, which is a shame, as I thought a lot of them were some of the most fun Star Wars comics of the last few years, especially since they didn't tend to take themselves too seriously.

Yikes, I wonder if that means the High Republic Adventures line is ending or if Marvel is gonna publish both the regular and Adventures lines

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

More evidence that the IDW deal really is done: starting spring 2022, there is going to be a new line of all-ages, all-era Star Wars comics being published... by Dark Horse.

https://www.starwars.com/news/dark-horse-comics-announce

Really wild to see more Dark Horse Star Wars. Wonder if any of the old-time Star Wars creatives from Dark Horse will be taking part. I would love to see a Jan Duursema/John Ostrander take on the new continuity.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
What's the benefit to Disney/Lucas to not use Marvel to produce comics in-house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Probably a combination of two things. One is making sure Marvel doesn't get stuck trying to over-produce things (both in their physical capacity, and in the market); and the second is probably the ability to aim at a target audience. The IDW, and now Dark Horse, comics are all aimed at kids so it's probably better able to do that from IDW's marketing brand rather than Marvel.