Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
"You had twenty years, Obi-Wan...you are a failure."

The Tattooine homecoming tour was great but using the Force to casually feed a dude to his pet monster was even greater. It's so nice having the big guy back on form again in this series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Lurdiak posted:

The correct watching order is Star Wars - Empire - Jedi, then plugging your ears and closing your eyes until 7 is out.

You are correct

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Clone Wars starts off hella rough, extremely kiddy, and theres not a lot in the first season worth watching, but while the series is made of short, mostly standalone arcs, it regularly calls back to earlier stuff enough that it's probably worth suffering through.

Season 2 is ok.

Season 3 and onwards is loving crazy and metal, and the art gets a serious upgrade around then, particularly in terms of the lighting and scale of events. It's also when the gloves come off in terms of what the show is willing to depict. What season is it where they do the prison break, and a clone gets halfed by a door? jesus christ

They even do some completely ridiculous poo poo you will roll your eyes so hard at, bringing back dead characters and making them extra badass, in a kinda 90s comic book way, except that once your eyes stop rolling you're going to watch it anyway and realise they somehow made the dumbest premise awesome.

Then you get an extended droid arc in the last season that will lobotomize you.

ANYWAY COMIC BOOKS

Any word on when we'll start seeing trades of these?

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
The arcs that deal with the nature of the Force are some of the best. The Force actually becomes mysterious and otherworldly again, with crazy spirits and Force planets influenced by the shifts of the Light and Dark side and visions and illusions and hallucinations and all kinds of weird crap. It's sometimes left up to interpretation whether or not what happened was all in the heads of the characters, or was real, or was some degree of middleground, and the ambiguity is great. Surprisingly most of these episodes came from concepts and lore Lucas had, which shows he probably is a very good "ideas man ", just bad at implimenting them himself.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

ShineDog posted:

Clone Wars starts off hella rough, extremely kiddy, and theres not a lot in the first season worth watching, but while the series is made of short, mostly standalone arcs, it regularly calls back to earlier stuff enough that it's probably worth suffering through.

Season 1's first arc had Battle Droids laughing and cutting open escape pods to blow the occupants out into the vacuum of space. So yes, extremely kiddy.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
also that time those droids just stood in a circle around a clone trooper's body and shot him over and over

you know, to be sure

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Davros1 posted:

Season 1's first arc had Battle Droids laughing and cutting open escape pods to blow the occupants out into the vacuum of space. So yes, extremely kiddy.

Ok, not kiddy in the sense of "particularly kid friendly" but kiddy in terms of having the kind of "SNIPS" "SKYGUY" attrocious dialogue that will make you want to implode.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ShineDog posted:

Ok, not kiddy in the sense of "particularly kid friendly" but kiddy in terms of having the kind of "SNIPS" "SKYGUY" attrocious dialogue that will make you want to implode.

Sounds accurate to the source material.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ShineDog posted:

Any word on when we'll start seeing trades of these?
Amazon has Star Wars Vol. 1 October 6, Darth Vader Vol. 1 October 20, and both Kanan Vol. 1 and Princess Leia on November 3. Expect all four two or three weeks earlier in comic stores.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
So can we use this thread for any old Star Wars canon or is this intended primarily for the current comics?

I ask because I've been enjoying a lot of the story stuff in the Old Republic MMO and was wondering if this was explored well anywhere else. Books, comics or otherwise.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!

DisposableHero posted:

So can we use this thread for any old Star Wars canon or is this intended primarily for the current comics?

I ask because I've been enjoying a lot of the story stuff in the Old Republic MMO and was wondering if this was explored well anywhere else. Books, comics or otherwise.

I'm sure no one will mind. I believe I remember hearing about a few books about the Sith Lord, ah.. Malek? I could have the name completely wrong, it's been ages since I've played TOR, but the bald Sith in the intro cinematics. I haven't read them myself but from what little I've heard they are apparently pretty decent and help you understand the Sith an the schisms within them during the setting.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

DisposableHero posted:

The Kotor comics are pretty decent. I also read the Revan book, but that was garbage.
And if you haven't played Kotor II, then grab the restoration mod and do that, because it's the most interesting piece of Star Wars media since Empire.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

cptn_dr posted:

The Kotor comics are pretty decent. I also read the Revan book, but that was garbage.
And if you haven't played Kotor II, then grab the restoration mod and do that, because it's the most interesting piece of Star Wars media since Empire.

Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, I've been through KoToR 1 and 2 though not recently. It might be time for another go at it actually.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Continuing a big rear end Star Wars derail from the Touching/Inspiring panels thread

Green Intern posted:

If you want some menacing Vader, Star Wars Rebels season 2 is the show for you.

https://youtu.be/BXoJeLDyVBY?t=49s

Fackin' spoilers for the televisual cartoon show, if you're interested in watching it. Personally I wasn't interested until I saw Darth Vader wrecking house like a towering untouchable manmonster.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Reminder that Lando #1 is out today.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Phy posted:

Continuing a big rear end Star Wars derail from the Touching/Inspiring panels thread

https://youtu.be/BXoJeLDyVBY?t=49s

Fackin' spoilers for the televisual cartoon show, if you're interested in watching it. Personally I wasn't interested until I saw Darth Vader wrecking house like a towering untouchable manmonster.

It seems like that should have been a much easier fight for Vader.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

zoux posted:

Reminder that Lando #1 is out today.

Is it any good?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is it any good?

It's a set up issue, but the premise Lando gets roped into one big score to pay off a debt, all is not as it seems is promising and Maleev drawing SW is worth the price of admission. They are putting serious heavy hitters on these SW books.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think you needed to spoil that. It's only slightly more of a spoiler than "Lando is a comic starring Lando Calrissian."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah well I always err on the side of "you cannot BELIEVE what some people get upset about".

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Yeah well I always err on the side of "you cannot BELIEVE what some people get upset about".
If the comic is out, you don't need to use spoilers, that's a general BSS rule.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
The fifth and final issue of Princess Leia was also released recently.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The portrayal of Darth Vader in Darth Vader seems really good so far.
The portrayal of Darth Vader in Star Wars seems really bad so far.

Like, I know he's all about murdering the people that fail him, but the amount of stormtroopers he like, casually murders in the first couple of issues makes him seem like a garden variety psycho rather than the intimidating force he is in Vader.

Similarly Fett, I don't know much about the character, and I'm sure he's not above brutalising people to get information, but having him going on a rampage that culminates in ripping arms off and casually murdering an informant feels like a 13 year olds idea of what a complete badass would do.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I'm digging the portrayal of Vader in his own book but the Emperor feels off to me. It's not a new thing, he's rarely portrayed in other stuff as well as he is in the films but it bugs me every time anyway. It's surprising as you'd think he'd be one of the easiest characters to get right but hey.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

I'm digging the portrayal of Vader in his own book but the Emperor feels off to me. It's not a new thing, he's rarely portrayed in other stuff as well as he is in the films but it bugs me every time anyway. It's surprising as you'd think he'd be one of the easiest characters to get right but hey.

People can't seem to write in enough ham and gravitas for every line he says.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

zoux posted:

It's a set up issue, but the premise Lando gets roped into one big score to pay off a debt, all is not as it seems is promising and Maleev drawing SW is worth the price of admission. They are putting serious heavy hitters on these SW books.

Out-rageous

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ShineDog posted:

Similarly Fett, I don't know much about the character, and I'm sure he's not above brutalising people to get information, but having him going on a rampage that culminates in ripping arms off and casually murdering an informant feels like a 13 year olds idea of what a complete badass would do.

Fett was mainly developed in a couple of short stories by Daniel Keys Moran and some comics by John Wagner. I'd say his characterisation was sort of like "Judge Dredd, if he was committed to money instead of The Law" and a multiple-choice past. That's more or less how he was from about 1994 or so (when he began getting significant characterisation) up until AOTC and you learn he's actually a clone.

After that, Karen Traviss enters the picture and he ends up as an Invincible Ghurka Gentleman Farmer Klingon Samurai MANDO With Warrior Pride who is apparently the guy you go to when you need a fully-trained Jedi killed. He becomes Wolverine, basically.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 10, 2015

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

Fett was mainly developed in a couple of short stories by Daniel Keys Moran and some comics by John Wagner. I'd say his characterisation was sort of like "Judge Dredd, if he was committed to money instead of The Law" and a multiple-choice past. That's more or less how he was from about 1994 or so (when he began getting significant characterisation) up until AOTC and you learn he's actually a clone.

After that, Karen Traviss enters the picture and he ends up as an Invincible Ghurka Gentleman Farmer Klingon Samurai MANDO With Warrior Pride who is apparently the guy you go to when you need a fully-trained Jedi killed. He becomes Wolverine, basically.

Speaking of Karen Traviss, does anyone know how she took the news that her stories are no longer cannon?

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?

Dsmif posted:

Speaking of Karen Traviss, does anyone know how she took the news that her stories are no longer cannon?

Hopefully poorly.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!

Dsmif posted:

Id be interested to hear of any of the old writer's reception to the idea, honestly.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dsmif posted:

Sure, she quit Star Wars in a huff a couple of years before Disney bought out the franchise because she didn't like how the Mandalorians were portrayed in The Clone Wars (as pacifists; her kind of MANDOS were included... as warlike revanchist fascists who want to go back to the old ways as violent conquerors).

Vagon posted:

Id be interested to hear of any of the old writer's reception to the idea, honestly.

I remember Tim Zahn saying he was disappointed but appreciated why it had to be done.

James Luceno said something similar but he's already had one book out under the new regime (I haven't read it but I'm given to understand it's pretty obvious that he started it and probably had most of it done before the Disney deal went through).

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, she quit Star Wars in a huff a couple of years before Disney bought out the franchise because she didn't like how the Mandalorians were portrayed in The Clone Wars (as pacifists; her kind of MANDOS were included... as warlike revanchist fascists who want to go back to the old ways as violent conquerors).

That whole thing was one of my favourite bits of CW, it was just a solid arc that ended up one of the few bits on the show where the threat of the badguys was more than just fake TV danger. The stakes were high and the whole thing didn't go the heroes way.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dsmif posted:

Reasonably, I'm sure!

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
There's only one piece of EU that I need to make it into Disney canon:

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Wheat Loaf posted:

So how did she reconcile that with the moron who had his blaster chopped in half by an apprentice, knocked into the Sarlacc pit by a blind guy, and screamed as he fell in?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Picklepuss posted:

So how did she reconcile that with the moron who had his blaster chopped in half by an apprentice, knocked into the Sarlacc pit by a blind guy, and screamed as he fell in?

Didn't you hear? He climbed back out because he's such a badass.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
new five issue mini

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That makes it look like Chewbacca used to be a teenage girl before being hit by gamma radiation.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
hahahahahahaha goddamn even Chewie gets Notoface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I never understood why people thought it would be so hard for Fett to get out of the sarlaac

dude went in there with armor and multiple guns and a jetpack