Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin
I've just started using Marvel Unlimited subscription to start reading Dr. Aphra and I'm loving it so far! How consistent is it over its run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

the guy from Semisonic posted:

I've just started using Marvel Unlimited subscription to start reading Dr. Aphra and I'm loving it so far! How consistent is it over its run?

Really strong. My only small complaint is I wish Kev Walker stayed on it for the whole run, but I'd never really call the art bad.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
aphra stays strong the whole way through and does not have the same art problems the main sw book runs into

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Space Vampires crossover with Star Wars is mediocre, but yeah, it's good throughout otherwise.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Apparently the solicit for the new Star Wars Adventures being set post-TROS was a mistake and it was just supposed to say these will be the first stories with the characters since the movie's release.

Which is disappointing, but then again it's happened to SWA at least once before (a story was advertised as being set post-ESB, when it was actually pre-ESB).

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Details from people live tweeting the Project Luminous reveal:
  • Interconnected story across literary media.
  • The 5 authors + Story Group + Publishing Team worked together to develop the overall story,
  • Set 200 years before the PT.
  • The Jedi of the High Republic are akin to the “Jedi Knights of the Round Table”.
  • The main villains are called the Nihil (sounds like Nile) and are described as space Vikings.
  • They are able to use hyperspace in a dangerous way, but no more details.
  • Light of the Jedi by Charles Soule is the first book, coming out August 25th. Will establish the era and kick off the adventure.
  • We’re going to see "The Great Disaster". Something terrible is going to happen at the opening of the novel.
  • A Test of Courage is a middle grade book by Justina Ireland. The main character is a sixteen year old Jedi Knight.
  • The High Republic comic from Marvel will be written by Cavan Scott. It will center on Starlight Station (mentioned in the recent comics).
  • Into the Dark by Claudia Gray. Since it’s from Lucasfilm Press, probably a young adult novel.
  • The High Republic Adventures comic from IDWPublishing is by Daniel Hose Older.
  • Everything announced is just phase one of the project, more licensees will be coming onboard, including Viz, Titan, DK and more.
  • More details will come out in the lead up to the release of the first book.

https://twitter.com/StarWarsExplain/status/1232154950999756801?s=20
https://twitter.com/StarWarsExplain/status/1232155570624286723?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCat5fXRyyU

Teek fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 25, 2020

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

A body double would be dumb as hell storytelling given that the entire point in the movies was they were covered in makeup and lots of clothing and potential assassins or whatever might not know *exactly* what she looks like. The woman at the end of the issue wasn't caked in makeup and cloaked in a robe. Her husband wouldn't be fooled by someone who looks similar but not the same, unless Anakin Skywalker suffers from face blindness and it's just never been mentioned before.

(None of which is to say it's actually Padme, just saying that specific plot device would be horrible storytelling and Pak is better than that.)

I was wrong about this, but I still hold it's dumb as hell storytelling. I'm still interested to see where it goes.

Rise of Kylo Ren wasn't very good, either, but it's over now.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So I got a bunch of the new Marvel Star Wars volumes from my local library weeks ago and read them all. Also got some of the original Marvel run volumes and read those too.

For the new volumes, they were ok. I think my biggest complaint is that since Marvel is mostly focusing on stories between the movies, the action feels compressed/the ending is already laid out? Like, Luke going on an adventure to find out how to be a Jedi can't have a huge meaningful resolution because we know in ESB he's going to be trained by Yoda, etc., etc. Also, seeing Luke run into Darth Vader and fight has the same problem. I only got the first two volumes of each new line (Star Wars, Vader, Doctor Aphra, etc.), so perhaps that changes, but I probably would bet not. Not bad books really, my interest is just lowered because the stakes can't be real high with them.

I did really dig the Darth Vader series, seeing him lead that war effort on that one 'evil' Alderran (sp?) planet was neat.

For me, nothing will ever compare with the Zahn Books/Dark Empire trilogy in the Legends (I just read the books for the first time last month, great stuff, I read the comic versions as a kid). Like a lot of people in this thread have said though, a good story's a good story. In my head I can fit a number of the new Marvel stories with the Zahn books. And that's ok.

Now if only the Thrawn Trilogy re-print wasn't so darn expensive (Amazon has it for over $100 now). Will have to check my local comic store after all this mandatory quarantine. And still waiting on their Dark Empire reprint. Have they ever reprinted the Crimson Empire series?

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 25, 2020

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

There was definitely a collected edition of all the Crimson Empire series at one point, after the third series was published. It's probably super expensive to find now, though.

Speaking of the Thrawn Trilogy comics adaptations, the artist who did Dark Force Rising (Terry Dodson) is one of the few Dark Horse era artists who've also done stuff in the new Marvel run. The guy who did the new Thrawn comic for Marvel is another one of those Dark Horse carry-overs. I'd actually recommend the Thrawn comic over the novel. I feel like it's one of the few times a comic adaptation is better than the source material - the visuals add a lot, and it compresses what is, overall, not a super deep story.

I never read the original Marvels until recently and I think a lot of them hold up pretty well. The whole storyline with Shira Brie particularly was solid. And some great one-shot stories throughout.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Comixology is running a Doctor Aphra sale if anyone wants to get caught up / start reading it. The sale covers most of her books and the Vader / Star Wars books which she shows up in.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Doctor Aphra is getting an audio drama!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Doctor Aphra #1 is now dropping tomorrow on digital (still the 27th for physical)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aphra's pretty good, although I miss Gillen's dialogue.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The mandalorian was popular so naturally Disney's a inclination is to flood the zone until we get tired of it

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm honestly surprised that they waited this long to do any kind of tie-in materials, considering how much stuff there immediately was for Clone Wars and Rebels when they both debuted.

I know the IDW comics are kind of looked down on but I feel like their tone and stand-alone nature is better suited to telling stuff along the lines of the show than some serialized comic like the Marvel Star Wars lines tend to be. Also if Phil Szostak's work is as good here as his art books for the movies, then that will be worth picking up (although the Art of TROS was a big letdown, but then again, it's something to do with TROS).

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
If I'd want to start reading up about Doctor Aphra, can I just start with her series? Or should I look up her first appearances in the Darth Vader series? If so, which issues should I look at?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Definitely start with Vader. She’s introduced fairly early on (issue #3, I think) and she plays a big part throughout until her exit from that series and the start of hers.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Definitely gotta start with Vader

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

She's getting an audio book soon, too. Still start with Vader.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Darth Vader #3 is out today, and it's drat good

https://twitter.com/jschedeen/status/1288507051266711554?s=20

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Agreed. It takes some doing to get me to care about prequel-related stuff, but Pak's putting in the work.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So is it true that Marvel is canceling the TROS comic?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

So is it true that Marvel is canceling the TROS comic?

There's still been no official confirmation. This is its artist, earlier today.

https://twitter.com/WillSliney/status/1288453253743677440?s=20

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Can they retcon it into being good

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Cross-Section posted:

There's still been no official confirmation. This is its artist, earlier today.

https://twitter.com/WillSliney/status/1288453253743677440?s=20

Deleted now. What was it?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

OhFunny posted:

Deleted now. What was it?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

In case anyone was interested in reading the Dr Aphra and Vader books, but was unaware, there are a whole bunch of them from the beginning on Marvel Unlimited (Aphra up to issue 40). They've put a whole lot of the older Star Wars books on there too.
Here's a series of screenshots from in the app, showing the SW titles. http://imgur.com/a/v4eKaZE

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

B33rChiller posted:

In case anyone was interested in reading the Dr Aphra and Vader books, but was unaware, there are a whole bunch of them from the beginning on Marvel Unlimited (Aphra up to issue 40). They've put a whole lot of the older Star Wars books on there too.
Here's a series of screenshots from in the app, showing the SW titles. http://imgur.com/a/v4eKaZE

Unless there's something super niche I'm missing, that looks like it's every Star Wars comic since 1977.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Chairman Capone posted:

Unless there's something super niche I'm missing, that looks like it's every Star Wars comic since 1977.

Yeah, there's gaps on Marvel Unlimited by I think they made special effort to get all the old Marvel and Dark Horse Star Wars stuff on there.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, there's gaps on Marvel Unlimited by I think they made special effort to get all the old Marvel and Dark Horse Star Wars stuff on there.

There can also be gaps within each title too. I have not delved into most of those titles, so I can't say for sure. I do know some of the older marvel titles on there will have holes in them, like missing issues 52 to 97, but has 1-51, and 98 onwards.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

That's really weird. For a moment I wondered if that was the Mary Jo Duffy era but she took over from #70 to the end, and as far as I can tell there's no major changeover in staff in that time.

It's also interesting that they differentiate the "Star Wars" and "Republic" comic series of Dark Horse.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

New Aphra book isn’t grabbing me yet but Vader loving owns so far.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Well the theorized character appearance in the High Republic is obviously true:

https://www.starwars.com/news/inside-star-wars-the-high-republic-meet-yoda

Looks like he'll be mainly in the comics for now. I do appreciate that this appears to have been an design undertaking from a lot of the Lucasfilm concept crew, and not just something the comic book artist randomly came up with.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Never heard of him.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

the gently caress say you

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I don't know who else is still reading the the main Star Wars comic book, but I'm not thrilled with the storyline they're taking Lando on in the immediate post-Empire Strikes Back setting.

Anyone reading the new High Republic comic? How is it?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm hoping Lando's supposed betrayal is actually a long-con trying to get information on Jabba or something

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

OhFunny posted:

Anyone reading the new High Republic comic? How is it?

It's okay - nothing special yet, but it's probably winding up for a longer story. The best character so far is a one-armed Trandoshan Jedi with PTSD, though the book's protagonist (his former apprentice) will hopefully get a good arc since she ends up becoming one of the Lost Twenty.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Darth Vader book remains really good. Pak's great working with what the prequels left him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Still think it's really funny that even Disney ultimately couldn't bother with Rise of Skywalker and scrapped the comic adaptation.