Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

Didn't you hear? He climbed back out because he's such a badass.
That's the thing, I don't get why anyone would think he's a badass. Not only was he an embarrassing screw-up in Return of the Jedi, the only thing Boba Fett did in Empire is follow someone at a distance and then haul off his already frozen body like an interstellar UPS driver. His armor looks cool but the guy inside it seems like a doofus to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Blockhouse posted:

I never understood why people thought it would be so hard for Fett to get out of the sarlaac

dude went in there with armor and multiple guns and a jetpack

It's a combination of the fact that no one has ever gotten out, and the fact that it was clearly meant to be his death scene and it's goofy to bring him back from it. It'd be like making the emperor survive falling down the mine shaft.

Picklepuss posted:

His armor looks cool but the guy inside it seems like a doofus to me.

That's just it, the character IS the armor.

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

So did any of y'all read the Dark Horse Star Wars comics back in the mid-2000s? When I was in high school I was more of a Star Wars person than a comics person, so they were kind of a gateway drug into comics. I haven't read them in years, so maybe they don't hold up, although I remember loving all of Duursema/Ostrander's stories (even though the constant circlejerk over Quinlan Vos kinda got old after a while.) I also remember enjoying how they were filling in the gaps between episodes 2 and 3 with real heavy war stories, and expanding characters like Assajj Ventress and Durge, and telling stories of a bunch of different characters besides Anakin and Obi-Wan. Really made it feel like a galaxy-wide conflict. I was real excited when I saw that some of the old Dark Horse issues were on Marvel Unlimited, but Republic and a bunch of other minis aren't on there.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Haha, holy poo poo, Phil Noto is doing art on a just-announced Chewbacca mini, with Gerry Duggan writing.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Jim the Nickel posted:

So did any of y'all read the Dark Horse Star Wars comics back in the mid-2000s? When I was in high school I was more of a Star Wars person than a comics person, so they were kind of a gateway drug into comics. I haven't read them in years, so maybe they don't hold up, although I remember loving all of Duursema/Ostrander's stories (even though the constant circlejerk over Quinlan Vos kinda got old after a while.) I also remember enjoying how they were filling in the gaps between episodes 2 and 3 with real heavy war stories, and expanding characters like Assajj Ventress and Durge, and telling stories of a bunch of different characters besides Anakin and Obi-Wan. Really made it feel like a galaxy-wide conflict. I was real excited when I saw that some of the old Dark Horse issues were on Marvel Unlimited, but Republic and a bunch of other minis aren't on there.

I don't know about MU but on the Darkhorse app the Republic series was only available in collections. "Rise of the Sith", "Outlander", "Emissaries to Malastare", "Menace revealed", "Jedi in Darkness"' and then "Clone Wars" 1-9

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Caught up with the Marvel comics and I gotta say outside of Vader and Kanan I think it has been pretty mediocre. Leia was awful and the first issue Lando didn't do much for me either. The main book is just... kinda there, I don't think there's anything special about it at all, and the big Vader moment of the last issue was done better in his solo book.

And you know I'm not really a big Gillen fan, but this is some of his best work, I feel. It's totally not what I expected out of a Vader solo book, he's portrayed to be just as flawed and pathetic as he is a sith prodigy, it's a really great dynamic and Aphra is a pretty unusual character to have him team up with.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Lurdiak posted:

It's a combination of the fact that no one has ever gotten out, and the fact that it was clearly meant to be his death scene and it's goofy to bring him back from it. It'd be like making the emperor survive falling down the mine shaft.

The Star Wars EU is like 90% barrel bottom scrapings. I'm pretty sure there's been more than one revival of the Emperor, in fact.

Also, as someone who likes Boba Fett, I would love for his new characterization to be that he's terrible at his job, and only has a reputation because he capitalizes on other people's victories for himself.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Hakkesshu posted:

The main book is just... kinda there, I don't think there's anything special about it at all, and the big Vader moment of the last issue was done better in his solo book.

Yeah, I've only read the main series so far and it's aggressively mediocre. Not because the writing or the art are bad, because they're good, but because there's nothing really new going on. If you've watched the first trilogy, you can skip the series – it's the exact same plot points happening to the exact same characters riding the exact same vehicles having the exact same dialogue through the exact same action set pieces, only everything's arranged in a slightly different order.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

Picklepuss posted:

That's the thing, I don't get why anyone would think he's a badass. Not only was he an embarrassing screw-up in Return of the Jedi, the only thing Boba Fett did in Empire is follow someone at a distance and then haul off his already frozen body like an interstellar UPS driver. His armor looks cool but the guy inside it seems like a doofus to me.

1. Armor is badass. Yes.

2. He's one of the few characters in the OT not unnerved by Vader. And Vader goes out of his way to tell him no disintegrations, implying that's been an issue in the past with this one. So his interaction with THE villain of the OT helps give credit to him as a badass. Compile that with the mystery surrounding him, and the great armor and you've got a good, albeit mismanaged side-villain.

3. Did you see him in Attack of the Clones? Even as a little kid he's kick---- nope. nope. Can't even do it jokingly.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jim the Nickel posted:

Legit one of my all-time favorite comics ever.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Boba Fett has always been an overrated snitch who got clowned by a masterless padawan and a blind man with a stick.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

ShimSham posted:

And Vader goes out of his way to tell him no disintegrations, implying that's been an issue in the past with this one. So his interaction with THE villain of the OT helps give credit to him as a badass.

Not really - when you think about it, a bounty hunter disintegrating his targets is a pretty terrible idea. How is your client supposed to identify the target when you hand over a pile of dust? Nobody would pay you, ever. "No disintegrations" means "Don't gently caress this one up."

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I get the idea that you don't really need to identify your target when Boba Fett's involved, he's not gonna lie or kill the wrong dude

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One of the early back stories for Fett was that he was a stormtrooper who shot his commanding officer - he seems to be about that level of competence in the movies.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

redbackground posted:

It seems like that should have been a much easier fight for Vader.

He didn't want to kill them, he was just playing with them. He wants them running scared so they lead him back to the rest of the rebels they're working with.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

RandallODim posted:

Also, as someone who likes Boba Fett, I would love for his new characterization to be that he's terrible at his job, and only has a reputation because he capitalizes on other people's victories for himself.
This works well in terms of what I dreamed about happening in Episode III, since all of the Jango/Boba Fett stuff was already so deflating, I really wanted for Teen Boba Fett to show up in Episode III and confront Anakin over how the Jedi killed his daddy, and Dark Anakin immediately decapitates him.

Then Jar Jar Binks shows up to plead with Anny about how he hassa be-a nicer, and Anakin chops off his ears but then a montage of all their good times from Episode I flash by and he can't bring himself to perform the killing blow and runs off to fight Obi-Wan.

Later they cut back to the wreckage and Jar Jar wakes up earless and brutalized, and realizes that thissa dark timey forra galaxy, yousa Empire be cwazeeeeeeeeeee. Maybe he's gotta be Bounty Hunteroo! And as he picks the armor off of Boba Fett's corpse and puts on the helmet he says that in these dark times, he must learn to talk normally.

And then all of the appearances in the original trilogy are really just Jar Jar in the armor.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Edge & Christian posted:

This works well in terms of what I dreamed about happening in Episode III, since all of the Jango/Boba Fett stuff was already so deflating, I really wanted for Teen Boba Fett to show up in Episode III and confront Anakin over how the Jedi killed his daddy, and Dark Anakin immediately decapitates him.

Then Jar Jar Binks shows up to plead with Anny about how he hassa be-a nicer, and Anakin chops off his ears but then a montage of all their good times from Episode I flash by and he can't bring himself to perform the killing blow and runs off to fight Obi-Wan.

Later they cut back to the wreckage and Jar Jar wakes up earless and brutalized, and realizes that thissa dark timey forra galaxy, yousa Empire be cwazeeeeeeeeeee. Maybe he's gotta be Bounty Hunteroo! And as he picks the armor off of Boba Fett's corpse and puts on the helmet he says that in these dark times, he must learn to talk normally.

And then all of the appearances in the original trilogy are really just Jar Jar in the armor.

Okay this needs to be made G-Canon like yesterday.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
All the Star Wars comics have been pushed back three weeks.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
Kanan #004 has been released.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It's been so dull so far. There are some really obvious places to go in a post order66 plot, and that comic goes to every one of them.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
The question then becomes 'Does it do it well?'. It sounds like it doesn't?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Bloodly posted:

The question then becomes 'Does it do it well?'. It sounds like it doesn't?

It does, it is fun.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Star Wars #7, Bianchi's first issue on pencils, was pretty good. I like the way that they are filling in the movie gaps, between how Vader found out about Luke and now just exactly what Obi-Wan was doing as a Jedi in hiding for 20ish years on Tatooine. Normally when later media goes back in to retcon or flesh out gaps in the original material, it feels contrived and obvious and involves way too many side characters who suddenly have connections to backstory. With the new Marvel books, the new material fits in very well and feels organic to the story.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So what was he doing?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

zoux posted:

Star Wars #7, Bianchi's first issue on pencils, was pretty good. I like the way that they are filling in the movie gaps, between how Vader found out about Luke and now just exactly what Obi-Wan was doing as a Jedi in hiding for 20ish years on Tatooine. Normally when later media goes back in to retcon or flesh out gaps in the original material, it feels contrived and obvious and involves way too many side characters who suddenly have connections to backstory. With the new Marvel books, the new material fits in very well and feels organic to the story.

I don't know, none of this is new at all. To me it has the same problem that most tie-ins do, we all know what happened, they're just filling in context that's totally unnecessary to understanding the characters (because all of that is implied in the movies to begin with). Also stuff like Han Solo's long forgotten wife is the definition of a side character who suddenly has connections to his backstory. Say what you will about the EU, but I'd rather have new stories than any of this completely pointless fluff.

At least Gillen's Vader book is doing new things with an established character - putting him in a context we've never seen before. The mainline book, at least I agree it mostly feels organic to the characters, but I don't think any of it is at all interesting to read. Surprise: Obi-Wan lingered around on Tatooine for years and somehow met Luke's family, how is it not completely contrived to have kid Luke come out and heroically stand up to a bunch of bandits and then have Obi-Wan come in out of nowhere and save him? Who cares about that part of the story?

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jul 30, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SynthOrange posted:

So what was he doing?

Fighting Dark Jedi Tusken Raiders:

:v:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

So what was he doing?

Nothin. Being sad.

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't know, none of this is new at all. To me it has the same problem that most tie-ins do, we all know what happened, they're just filling in context that's totally unnecessary to understanding the characters (because all of that is implied in the movies to begin with). Also stuff like Han Solo's long forgotten wife is the definition of a side character who suddenly has connections to his backstory. Say what you will about the EU, but I'd rather have new stories than any of this completely pointless fluff.

At least Gillen's Vader book is doing new things with an established character - putting him in a context we've never seen before. The mainline book, at least I agree it mostly feels organic to the characters, but I don't think any of it is at all interesting to read. Surprise: Obi-Wan lingered around on Tatooine for years and somehow met Luke's family, how is it not completely contrived to have kid Luke come out and heroically stand up to a bunch of bandits and then have Obi-Wan come in out of nowhere and save him? Who cares about that part of the story?

Obi-Wan somehow met Luke's family when he delivered the infant Luke directly into the hands of Lars Beru. If this was an EU story it would've been a six issue arc where Obi-Wan has to team up with sand people against some Imperial Moff who was also the father of the stormtrooper that bangs his head in episode 4 to liberate the king of the Tusken raiders from an evil factory with the help of the dad of the Bothan who got the Death Star Plans and the dad of the ice cream maker guy from Bespin and stop the flow of Bantha fodder from being used as fuel for a new Imperial superweapon that we've never heard of.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He spent all his time learning how to become a Force ghost from Qui-Gon's spirit. He's just a really slow study.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

zoux posted:

Obi-Wan somehow met Luke's family when he delivered the infant Luke directly into the hands of Lars Beru. If this was an EU story it would've been a six issue arc where Obi-Wan has to team up with sand people against some Imperial Moff who was also the father of the stormtrooper that bangs his head in episode 4 to liberate the king of the Tusken raiders from an evil factory with the help of the dad of the Bothan who got the Death Star Plans and the dad of the ice cream maker guy from Bespin and stop the flow of Bantha fodder from being used as fuel for a new Imperial superweapon that we've never heard of.

Just because it isn't as overwrought doesn't make it a more interesting story to tell. Also it's a false dichotomy since a lot of the Dark Horse comics were great about not doing this exact thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Just because it isn't as overwrought doesn't make it a more interesting story to tell. Also it's a false dichotomy since a lot of the Dark Horse comics were great about not doing this exact thing.

Which ones?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

zoux posted:

Which ones?

Republic, Empire, Rebellion, Rogue Squadron.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

At least Gillen's Vader book is doing new things with an established character - putting him in a context we've never seen before.

This is selling the book a bit short, I think: putting Vader in a new context that makes complete narrative sense is a good chunk of why I like it, but it's also much better at introducing fresh stuff to the Star Wars universe that still makes sense within it. There's more of a sense in that book that it's okay to expand the universe in interesting ways, whereas the little of the main Star Wars book feels quite a bit more safe.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
So far Vader is the only book I'd outright recommend to people who don't wouldn't be planning on reading these books anyway, but the amount it seems to hook into the main SW book would make me hesitate, I don't love that book.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

zoux posted:

Nothin. Being sad.

I always got the impression from ANH hope that Luke knew Obi-Wan before Obi-Wan rescued him from the Tusken Raiders. Maybe not in a Marty/Doc Brown kind of way, but he had probably seen him around a bit (maybe when he'd go to Toshi Station to pick up some power converters?), exchanged a few words with him now and then.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's an old EU story where Obi-Wan rescues Luke when he gets into difficulties and takes him back home, and Uncle Owen tells him to stay away and never come near Luke again.

In the very early EU (when it was limited to, like, the original Marvel comics, Splinter of the Minds Eye and the RPG campaign guides), Owen was Obi-Wan's estranged brother. Similarly, there's an old Marvel comic from about 1979 or so which tells a story about Obi-Wan's adventures during the Clone Wars, alongside his students Darth Vader and Luke's father. :v:

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Got too excited about Star Wars comics this week and brought home an extra.

I missed the Fett/Solo/Chewie action figure variants. :( I have all the others, but looks like I only missed out on the expensive ones. Of course.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Similarly, there's an old Marvel comic from about 1979 or so which tells a story about Obi-Wan's adventures during the Clone Wars, alongside his students Darth Vader and Luke's father. :v:

I would be really interested in seeing that.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kellsterik posted:

I would be really interested in seeing that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know the issue number but I'll look and see if I can find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
It's Star Wars annual #1