Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Still thought it would have been nice for Lucasfilm to do the EU die-hards a solid and write one final wrap-up story for that universe. Reference everything, good and bad, and go out with a bang. Then never talk about it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I remain dubious about post-TLJ content being released until Episode 9 is in the can. Episode 9 continuity is too much in flux until they've finished filming. So probably very late this year at the earliest. What I could see though, is the Poe series covering up until TFA, an issue covering TFA from Poe's POV (i.e. how he got off Jakku), a couple issues bridging TFA/TLJ (explaining the pilots who are missing in TLJ and the new ships/pilots who show up), then an issue covering TLJ from Poe's POV. Not sure that last one would cover much new ground, but there's a chance in there to explore Poe's mindset more. At that point they might finally have an idea of what they can do to start bridging the gap to IX.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

We don't know how much time it is between when Starkiller blows up and Rey leaves to find Luke. Possibly a day or two for her on D'Qar. It's then some indeterminate amount of time to travel to the first Jedi temple and fully evacuate D'qar. Also an unknown amount of time for them in Hyperspace after Poe blows up the dreadnought. We know there are apparently deleted scenes of Poe and Finn talking after he wakes up, so they could use that too.

Poe's arc through TLJ would actually make for a good couple of issues, allowing the reader to get into his psychology and why he was doing what he did. Part one of the TLJ arc would start with him parting ways with some of his old TFA pilots as they go do other missions, the prep for the evac, the First Order's arrival and the dreadnought fight. Second part could cover his plans with Finn and Rose and the later mutiny. Third part could cover Crait. The issue after could then start covering post-TLJ content.

You could easily get 7 issues out of a TFA/TLJ arc.

TFA - 3 Issues [Travel to Jakku, talks to Lor San Tekka finally and escape with Finn] [Shows his escape from Jakku and fight on Takodana] [Attack on Starkiller]
Movie Bridge - 1 Issue (could possible go 2) [Briefs TFA pilots and sends them on their way]
TLJ - 3 Issues [D'Qar evac and attack on dreadnought] [Mutiny] [Crait battle]

Teek fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 6, 2018

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i assume they are gonna do a time jump from TLJ to whatever, they kinda have too.

Why would that be? That's kind of one of the reasons why I think they'll wait until 9 finishes filming. Once they see where it's going, they can use that as one of the comics to start bridging the gap to it, which I'm guessing will end up being a 1-2 year time jump in the movie. With 1-2 years until 9 in-universe, that's a ton of time to throw in a lot of stories. Same reason the Star Wars comic has been filling in the gap between ANH and ESB.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Edit: Removed because I meant to put this in the book thread.

Teek fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 2, 2018

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Wonder how long the post-ESB series will run, 25 issues? Seems like a good number. 75 issues for the three years between ANH and ESB, then 25 for the one year between the ESB and RotJ.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

At least that works for in-universe and is a semi-legit and understandable reason to relaunch as #1s. Run for about two years or so, then finally launch post-RotJ with some new #1s. That would put them beyond TRoS release and give them enough time to plan out that time period even more for the main cast.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

Preview for Rise of Kylo Ren #1:

https://www.starwars.com/news/the-rise-of-kylo-ren-1-exclusive

Finally get to see Luke's other Jedi students.

Kyp Durron was the first to fall to Ben's blade. RIP

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Current rumor is that it's an animated show, which would explain how it could be coming out so soon but not much is known about it.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

A body double would be dumb as hell storytelling given that the entire point in the movies was they were covered in makeup and lots of clothing and potential assassins or whatever might not know *exactly* what she looks like.

I don't know man, Keira Knightley and Natalie Portman look way more similar than any of the other handmaiden actresses. Even today as a grown woman, Knightley still could pass for a still living Padme who had aged another 23 years.

Also amusingly, Sabé was said to have married a TPM character named Tonra played by Richard Armitage. The Mandalorian/Cassian Andor series appearances when?

Teek fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 13, 2020

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2020/02/idws-star-wars-adventures-will-tell-the-first-story-set-after-the-rise-of-skywalker.html

Surprised and delighted that Disney are actually pushing on ahead into the post TRoS time period. Really thought they would just spend their time back filling in between TLJ and TRoS.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Details from people live tweeting the Project Luminous reveal:
  • Interconnected story across literary media.
  • The 5 authors + Story Group + Publishing Team worked together to develop the overall story,
  • Set 200 years before the PT.
  • The Jedi of the High Republic are akin to the “Jedi Knights of the Round Table”.
  • The main villains are called the Nihil (sounds like Nile) and are described as space Vikings.
  • They are able to use hyperspace in a dangerous way, but no more details.
  • Light of the Jedi by Charles Soule is the first book, coming out August 25th. Will establish the era and kick off the adventure.
  • We’re going to see "The Great Disaster". Something terrible is going to happen at the opening of the novel.
  • A Test of Courage is a middle grade book by Justina Ireland. The main character is a sixteen year old Jedi Knight.
  • The High Republic comic from Marvel will be written by Cavan Scott. It will center on Starlight Station (mentioned in the recent comics).
  • Into the Dark by Claudia Gray. Since it’s from Lucasfilm Press, probably a young adult novel.
  • The High Republic Adventures comic from IDWPublishing is by Daniel Hose Older.
  • Everything announced is just phase one of the project, more licensees will be coming onboard, including Viz, Titan, DK and more.
  • More details will come out in the lead up to the release of the first book.

https://twitter.com/StarWarsExplain/status/1232154950999756801?s=20
https://twitter.com/StarWarsExplain/status/1232155570624286723?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCat5fXRyyU

Teek fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 25, 2020

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Well the theorized character appearance in the High Republic is obviously true:

https://www.starwars.com/news/inside-star-wars-the-high-republic-meet-yoda

Looks like he'll be mainly in the comics for now. I do appreciate that this appears to have been an design undertaking from a lot of the Lucasfilm concept crew, and not just something the comic book artist randomly came up with.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Looks like the latest issue of the Vader series gives a tiny bit more backstory of the Exegol lab, and some click bait sites are running wild with confirmations about what's shown.

Basically as Vader walks through the lab area, we are shown more vat grown Snokes in various bad states, as well as what seemingly is Luke's hand from Bespin.

Some places are now saying that it shows Luke's hand was used to make Snoke? I just think it's showing Palpatine found it and was leaving nothing wasted, either in actuality to use it for tissue DNA, or as a unsubtle threat to Anakin about what he might do with it.

Here's a review of the issue with some pics:

https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wars-darth-vader-luke-severed-hand-palpatine-snoke

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I think the comment you're referring to was one of the novelizations having him say/think that he had seen the Empire rise and fall? Am I remembering right? Which technically, with a Luuke idea, would be true?

If Snoke was a dumping ground for Sith and Luke DNA, I think that would be a decent explanation for his appearance.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Agree about Snoke being Plagueis. And I think it would have worked too to end up having Palpatine revealed as still pulling his strings. Especially if you play it up as Snoke being his utterly controlled puppet. So make it that Snoke is fully cognizant and hating that he has no control of himself and is only acting at Sheev’s whim. Might have set up an interesting hook to have him thank Kylo right after he kills him, essentially showing Plagueis making a 180 on his living forever dreams, as he would instead want the freedom of death. That then is juxtaposed by Palpatine in the final movie who refuses to die no matter what.

Of course then Rey still explodes him and Anakin’s ghost would drag Sheev to Force hell in my dream version of actual plotted out trilogy.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

War of the Bounty Hunters is kicking off with a fairly "major" character reveal/return:

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2021/06/review-a-new-dawn-rises-as-a-major-character-returns-in-marvels-war-of-the-bounty-hunters-1.html

Glad to see her back, really surprised they got permission to use her. Maybe there was little expectation of her coming back in live action.

Somewhat amusing, because Qi'ra at this time is pretty much exactly the age Emilia Clarke is currently.

Teek fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 2, 2021

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

As far as I'm aware, they've yet to retcon a character's live/dead status. It's all been background details so far. If that counts for anything. So basically that would mean, at a minimum, she's alive at this time, but they could always retcon some of the events transpiring for whatever reason.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

They all died in live action though, I'm specifically referring to living status in literature/comics. Meaning the books or comics kills someone off, but then they're shown as still alive in the cartoons or the movies. It used to happen all the time in the EU, as far as I know, that's yet to happen in Disney.

So for example, a book has Wedge dying a few years after Endor, then bam, he somehow shows up in Rise of Skywalker.

Teek fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 2, 2021

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Digital sales are probably included in that right? I know a lot of people buy digital now, and Star Wars comics were already a big draw, the positive pub with the new event probably helps too.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Qi'ra's getting her own limited run series:

https://www.ign.com/articles/exclusive-first-details-star-wars-crimson-reign-comic-series-solo-qira-emilia-clarke?utm_source=twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Back from the dead like Palpatine.

For anyone interested in jumping into the current canon lines, I highly recommend Marvel Unlimited. It lags behind live releases by about 3 months, but it has almost everything post-Disney and a lot of earlier stuff too. It's a good way to keep up with whatever is going on and it's like $80 a year. I think the only thing post-Disney missing from there are the High Republic Adventures lines from IDW and now Dark Horse.

Recommended ongoing titles:

Star Wars, set between IV and V, and then V and VI (Both runs bridge the gaps between those respective movies)
Doctor Aphra, in those same periods
Darth Vader, first series between IV and V. Another series is set post III (First series bridges movie gap, second series delves into Vaders mind post-injury)

Big cross over in the V-VI period was about Crimson Dawn, slotting into a similar function to Shadows of the Empire. The ongoing have a lot of cross-over events through their run, probably about half their arcs deal with something which might get picked up in a different title. Thankfully they include all the "event" tracking lists in each issue.

And there's a ton of mini-series and one-offs that have been released up to this point that tie in to those cross-overs or that were made to tie into an anniversary, ala ESB and RotJ's 40ths.

I am REALLY hoping Disney and Marvel finally make the leap into post-Jedi, they've been teasing it a few times in their main line title. At least bridge Endor to Jakku. They've already squeezed about three years of comics out of the year between ESB and RotJ. They could get in several more years into the run up to Jakku.

Teek fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 19, 2024