Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Clone Wars starts off hella rough, extremely kiddy, and theres not a lot in the first season worth watching, but while the series is made of short, mostly standalone arcs, it regularly calls back to earlier stuff enough that it's probably worth suffering through.

Season 2 is ok.

Season 3 and onwards is loving crazy and metal, and the art gets a serious upgrade around then, particularly in terms of the lighting and scale of events. It's also when the gloves come off in terms of what the show is willing to depict. What season is it where they do the prison break, and a clone gets halfed by a door? jesus christ

They even do some completely ridiculous poo poo you will roll your eyes so hard at, bringing back dead characters and making them extra badass, in a kinda 90s comic book way, except that once your eyes stop rolling you're going to watch it anyway and realise they somehow made the dumbest premise awesome.

Then you get an extended droid arc in the last season that will lobotomize you.

ANYWAY COMIC BOOKS

Any word on when we'll start seeing trades of these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Davros1 posted:

Season 1's first arc had Battle Droids laughing and cutting open escape pods to blow the occupants out into the vacuum of space. So yes, extremely kiddy.

Ok, not kiddy in the sense of "particularly kid friendly" but kiddy in terms of having the kind of "SNIPS" "SKYGUY" attrocious dialogue that will make you want to implode.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The portrayal of Darth Vader in Darth Vader seems really good so far.
The portrayal of Darth Vader in Star Wars seems really bad so far.

Like, I know he's all about murdering the people that fail him, but the amount of stormtroopers he like, casually murders in the first couple of issues makes him seem like a garden variety psycho rather than the intimidating force he is in Vader.

Similarly Fett, I don't know much about the character, and I'm sure he's not above brutalising people to get information, but having him going on a rampage that culminates in ripping arms off and casually murdering an informant feels like a 13 year olds idea of what a complete badass would do.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, she quit Star Wars in a huff a couple of years before Disney bought out the franchise because she didn't like how the Mandalorians were portrayed in The Clone Wars (as pacifists; her kind of MANDOS were included... as warlike revanchist fascists who want to go back to the old ways as violent conquerors).

That whole thing was one of my favourite bits of CW, it was just a solid arc that ended up one of the few bits on the show where the threat of the badguys was more than just fake TV danger. The stakes were high and the whole thing didn't go the heroes way.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It's been so dull so far. There are some really obvious places to go in a post order66 plot, and that comic goes to every one of them.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
So far Vader is the only book I'd outright recommend to people who don't wouldn't be planning on reading these books anyway, but the amount it seems to hook into the main SW book would make me hesitate, I don't love that book.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

zoux posted:

Why the gently caress are they called snubfighers?

Cute lil snubby noses

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
How was the maul comic? Last I saw Savajj had deflated like a sad balloon and Maul was about to be the emperors bucket

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
My read of balance in the force would be your modern jedi need to accept that good and bad feelings in people are natural and ok and that trying to hide yourself off from emotion and love and feeling and the ups and downs that come with that is as bad and dumb as surrendering yourself to rage and passion .

I hope that's what luke has been off figuring out in the new films, I guess.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Gammatron 64 posted:

I read through the remainder of Vader Down today. I like these comics, but I kinda hate how evil Indiana Jones girl has evil versions of R2-D2 and C-3PO. That's just dumb.

Those are Vaders droids no? I can't remember the exact origin but I quite like how on the nose it is. Here's Anakins evil mirror right down to his droids.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Man, the art in Vader down is really bad, Particularly after going through immomens stuff.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Where the he'll are the traaaaaades

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It'll be interesting to see when we get an ongoing that's not about the movie crew.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
What weirds me out is that the TFA didn't have a single twilek, rodian or anything else in it. I get expanding the galaxy but cmon guys

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I think the arts really inconsistent. I really like the first few pages. I really like the looser long shots, but when he gets detailed about things it's often ugly as hell. Expressive though.

Except on the mad maxesque crime guy. That guy I loved every panel of since the ugly works.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
There were good bits, definitely. but so many wonky faces with random shading and lines and frequently weird formless geometry that looks like nothing. Whenever the book goes somewhere interesting or away from the established style it fails to pop. Shu torun largely failed to execute on its super fun premise. Random rocks and camera angles, bad photoreference of bucket wheels. Just lots of red and murky art.

The real problem to me though is that its all so stiff and lifeless. Everyone's kind of stood there. It doesn't have like, immomens eye for an action scene from the main book. The art shoots for moody but half the time that just mean throwing down blacks haphazardly and a gradient colour fill and uninteresting colour choices. Compare the lando book where that stuff just pops.

I dunno. It's got the kind of stiffness and lifelesness of a poser traced comic. Aphra was rough and inconsistent but it had energy and personality.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

OhFunny posted:

I think Han Solo's mini takes the cake when it comes to art among the Star Wars comics.

It's decent art but strikes me as pretty generic? It's very competant and all, but no real spark to me. Could be any decent artists work.

I think the highpoint to me is probably Maleev on Lando, Immonen and Notos stuff is great as well. The styles of the artists really show through and give it personality

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It's a shame the main series is so mediocre. There's occasionally a fun idea but it's 90% 'our heroes do some stuff'. There's no room to explore anything interesting beyond a set piece.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
But the aaart

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Amazon? Maybe the marvel app if you want to pay through the nose?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Aphra got a kind of not starwars at all new look.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Her vampire magic and look makes me think she's a surviving clone wars nightsister of some stripe.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
He suuucks

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Literally until the sales dry up

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
So she's totally a nightsister, right?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
They were just a random grab bag of dark magic stuff. Eating all the villagers force to stay alive seems entirely in keeping.

Also I just caught up. Hey, this arc is getting kinda bad!

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 16, 2017

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The main star wars comic has been... not great... recently. I'm glad gillen is taking over, I'm sad larocca comes with him.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Gillens stuff is easily the best thing about the Marvel Star Wars stuff, which IMO mostly has amounted to nothing else really great after like 3 years of it.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Palpatines loving face O_o

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I hear his books are good.

Anyway, just think of all the oceans of hot trash that got thrown out with the rare gem. Lightsaber knees!

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Ugh larocca is so bad

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Aftermath is just rear end though.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It kind of did tank, just not by the standards of other films. Its still the biggest opening for that weekend and would be considered a solid take for most any other

If it hadnt had the mad budget inflation that I expect mostly comes from the reshoots it'd be comfortably profitable. A bigger budget than TLJ!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Yeah wow that was a thing