Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
What's the chance Disney/Marvel will be releasing more Legend Anthrologies including the Tales of the Jedi series? I want to read those in physical form but the omnibus' are either mega expensive or unavailable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So I got a bunch of the new Marvel Star Wars volumes from my local library weeks ago and read them all. Also got some of the original Marvel run volumes and read those too.

For the new volumes, they were ok. I think my biggest complaint is that since Marvel is mostly focusing on stories between the movies, the action feels compressed/the ending is already laid out? Like, Luke going on an adventure to find out how to be a Jedi can't have a huge meaningful resolution because we know in ESB he's going to be trained by Yoda, etc., etc. Also, seeing Luke run into Darth Vader and fight has the same problem. I only got the first two volumes of each new line (Star Wars, Vader, Doctor Aphra, etc.), so perhaps that changes, but I probably would bet not. Not bad books really, my interest is just lowered because the stakes can't be real high with them.

I did really dig the Darth Vader series, seeing him lead that war effort on that one 'evil' Alderran (sp?) planet was neat.

For me, nothing will ever compare with the Zahn Books/Dark Empire trilogy in the Legends (I just read the books for the first time last month, great stuff, I read the comic versions as a kid). Like a lot of people in this thread have said though, a good story's a good story. In my head I can fit a number of the new Marvel stories with the Zahn books. And that's ok.

Now if only the Thrawn Trilogy re-print wasn't so darn expensive (Amazon has it for over $100 now). Will have to check my local comic store after all this mandatory quarantine. And still waiting on their Dark Empire reprint. Have they ever reprinted the Crimson Empire series?

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 25, 2020

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Is Marvel ever planning on re-printing their Star Wars Epic Collections? Would like to get my hand on the Dark Empire trilogy (New Republic V5), that came out in March and yet it's out of stock pretty much everywhere, even used book websites. Don't even get me started on the Thrawn trilogy Epic Collection (People are asking 300+ on used websites for it). Gonna pre-order their Tales of the Jedi v2 omnibus that comes out in may 2022.

Seems like demand for these products are pretty high. Novels are easy to find, the comics themselves not at all though.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I see that they have the first 3 volumes of the New Republic being re-released as an omnibus in July 2022, so I'm sure V4+5+6 will come out in another year or so. Probably the best way to get it.

I really hope any Thrawn trilogy they do does justice to the books.